Start by marking “FastExercise: The Simple Secret of High-Intensity Training” as Want to Read:
FastExercise: The Simple Secret of High-Intensity Training

FastExercise: The Simple Secret of High-Intensity Training

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The FastDiet comes a revolutionary fitness program. Lose weight and dramatically improve your health with high intensity training—just ten minutes a day, three times a week.

Just as Dr Michael Mosley's FastDiet—the groundbreaking book about the original 5:2 diet—alerted the world to a healthy new way to lose weight, FastExerc
Published March 25th 2014 by Atria Books (first published December 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about FastExercise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FastExercise

K. Bartholomew
It's ok, but there are definitely better books on the subject. Try HIIT - High Intenstity Interval Training Explained, by James Driver, by far the best book on this subject and I've read a few now.

As for this book, it most definitely requires more detailed explanations and more actual exercises to do - It is lacking in this regard. Novices will be left with little clue on where to start or how to progress. Intermediates to advanced people will not be satisfied either for there is not really anyt
Nigeyb
Jan 20, 2014 Nigeyb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book shortly after reading "The Fast Diet: The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer" by Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer. I have recently started applying the 5:2 diet principles suggested in "The Fast Diet" (restricting calorie intake to 600 calories for two days a week) with impressive results.

I also watched the Horizon programme made by Michael Mosley on High Intensity Training (HIT). If you've seen the programme you probably don't need
Liz
Jan 12, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his 2012 BBC Horizon programme about weight loss that showed the benefit of intermittent fasting (and resulted in the book The Fast Diet) Michael Mosely also discovered the HIT exercise method. Studies show that HIT in which you do a few minutes of high intensity exercise 3 times a week is as or more effective than many hours spent going more slowly. What we have known as fat burning really isn't. This is fascinating and highly appealing.

He explains exactly how to do the HIT exercise. It can
Yasseen
Jul 30, 2014 Yasseen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Yes. I know. Medics keep telling us about exercise. I have no time for gyms and, anyway, I hate tread mills and riding bicycles that get nowhere”----Many people’s response to the suggestion that they might benefit from exercise.
They know exercise is essential for good health, but much of what it involves puts them off, especially the time factor. So they should find fast exercise or “high intensity training,” a refreshing idea. It only takes a few minutes a day and can be done almost wherever y
David Graham
Jul 05, 2014 David Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be extremely useful primarily due to its accessibility and simplicity. I know that some exercise enthusiasts and experts have said that it is not the definitive word on HIT (High Intensity Training) but, with respect, I think they are missing the point. This is not a book for elite athletes (just as well for me!) but the average person approaching middle age looking for some proven methods to try to improve fitness and slow (or even reverse) the deterioration in health.

One
Samantha
The exercises were too simplistic, and would not have benefited me as they weren't intense cardio workouts. There needs to be more evidence from genuine scientific studies not just experiments that a few friends in a sports science lab get up to. While I agree that HIT training is very beneficial, I think that people should not read this book and use the advice but hire a personal trainer or try a local HIT class as it is not for everyone.
Maureen Eyers
A really good easy to understand introduction to HIT that will definitely change the way that i exercise

A really good easy to understand introduction to HIT that will definitely change the way that I exercise, in fact it will change my life and free up so much more time while making me more mindful of how I can incorporate more movement into my life
Kelly
Mar 24, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this advance copy thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher. It's a great introduction into the science and how-to's behind HIT. What's nice about FastExercise is that it is easily incorporated into one's day and doesn't take up a big chunk of time. Also, there's no sweating involved :)
Michael Webb
quite short and lacking in exercise routine detail. Would have preferred a list of exercises for specific muscle groups or just more variety.
Pete
Mar 19, 2017 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FastExercise is a book worth reading.

Personally, I wouldn't describe it as an exercise book, rather a review of training methods and their benefits with a baseline program you can follow. It is not a get out their an exercise book, rather a study of an approach (HIT - High-Intensity Training) and its particular benefits.

In short, it is a book that offers excellent insight into the science of exercise through its references while creating a very simple, yet approachable read on the subject of ho
Esha
Mar 12, 2017 Esha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First 20mins of exercising buys you an hour of life, the next 20mins buys you (only) another 15 mins and so on. Thus the book encourages to make the first 20mins your golden time to strike. While you can do low intensity, or high intensity, the body will adapt to it and you won't reap much benefit. High Interval Intensity (HIT) keeps the body guessing, and it targets tummy fat and something about mitochondrias that I just couldn't comprehended (despite reading it 5 times). Worth a try so I am t ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I was surprisingly disappointed by this book. What should have been a clean and easy exercise program to accompany the FastDiet book (e.g., exercises and content focusing on weight loss) was instead mostly text describing why exercise is important, a couple of exercises with a few 'icon' like pictures, and then more discussions about why exercise is important. It's not set up for either those starting out or for those wi
David
Feb 14, 2015 David rated it liked it
reviews the studies suggesting that remarkably short bursts of very high-intensity interval training (cycling in most of the lab studies, but can be running uphill or stair climbing or.....) 3 days/week can have impressive impact on weight management, body fat, VO2 max, glucose tolerance, etc.

The byplay of main author, who apparently hates exercise and just wants to secure his health benefits as promptly as possible, preferably without having to change clothes or sweat, and the coauthor, who lov
Peter Sommerland
Svenska utgåvan har orange omslag med svart löpsedeltypsnitt och Michael Mosleys bild. Titeln på svenska lyder: Träna 3 minuter i veckan - 5:2-guruns guide till högintensiv träning. Därefter nere till vänster nämns medförfattare hälso- och träningsjournalisten Peta Bee.
HIT-högintensiv träning är inget nytt under solen. Roger Bannister som var först under 4 minuter på engelska milen sprang tio enminutersrusher redan på femtiotalet.
Liksom 5:2-dieten, som Mosley förstås kombinerar med HIT, är det e
Mak Horner
Dec 26, 2016 Mak Horner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter O'Brien
I would advise the reader to annotate this book while reading it, as the breakdown of the fast exercise regime does get a little complicated; it is certainly not as simple explained as The Fast Diet.

The development of this exercise regime is something that I have been watching with great interest after first discovering it, right about the same time Mosley presented his accompanying BBC fasting documentary. I have been exercising the Fasting diet for the past two years and have experienced nothi
Mandy
Jan 02, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast Exercise is Dr. Michael Mosley's follow-up to his successful book, Fast Diet about intermittent fasting. This book focuses on the latest trend in fitness - HIT, or High Intensity Training and gives you an easy to follow and understand program, while still delving into the science behind it in Mosley's usual accessible style.

I enjoyed it and will definitely incorporate elements of HIT into my routine. That said, I'm not sure that this book is as well-written as the previous book - I seemed
Claudia
Aug 02, 2016 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: raul-brandão
I ended up disappointed with this book... I am not a specialist, but I have been interested in sports, nutrition and health in general for years. The relevant information on this book could be covered in just a page. Even worse, this book is neither motivating and challenging, neither interesting to read.

Spoiler Alert!
If you want to know the main information on the book:

Physical activity is important. Not all kinds of training have the same results. If you want to live longer and lose weight, do
Teacatweaves
Jun 28, 2014 Teacatweaves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, good premise and lots of good tips for fitting exercise in your day without getting your panties in a bunch. But I do think it's a stretch to think that you can get interval training without working up a sweat. For some people, sweat is the key to de-foxing, and a surefire way to ensure you have elevated your blood pressure to burn a few calories. Love the concept of interval training, and i believe that it works. So I will be adapting this into my lifestyle. But no sweating? Come on - how l ...more
Donna
Oct 01, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had watched a documentary by the author which in part covered "Fast Exercise" ( it also covered Fast Diet). The show was a little easier to follow. The book is very intense, but I am interested in the science that helps to explain how exercising for less time with high intensity bursts can be very effective.

I read the beginning of the book, and then as I progressed and it got more complex I started to skim
And just read the parts that I found interesting.

With so many adults succumbing to type
Tom
Feb 11, 2016 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure I fully understand, or am convinced by, the theories and evidence for high-intensity training; the book seemed to me to be padded out with research material.

But it's an engaging guide to making everyday life more active. There's nothing too hardcore to scare people away, but a good range of exercises and circuits that can be introduced gently and built on, plus suggestions for sneaking activities in that don't feel too much like a workout.
Beach Mama
Feb 18, 2014 Beach Mama rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, self-help
Most of this book is spent in quoting and examining research studies on exercise levels and health results. In some ways this makes it feel like a textbook which made me want to skim the pages to get to the "good stuff."

I did like how it gave examples of a variety of exercises and advice on time and location for activity.

*** I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review via Netgalley (thanks!) ***
Jess Dollar
Nov 11, 2014 Jess Dollar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book only because I needed something to read and it was available to download from the library. But I was happily surprised by how much I liked it. It only takes about 1-2 hours to read but is a decent, easy to understand introduction to how to lose weight with high intensity exercise and the science behind it. I will definitely be recommending this to clients and friends who can't lose weight because they exercise too much.
Oren Cohen
This is just a nice quick-read introduction to the subject.
I hadn't read anything about HIT before reading this but it was obvious all along that this book was not detailed enough. I'll use it as an intro to the subject that requires more reading.

Additionally, the book is written primarily for people who are over-weight. I'd like to read more about HIT for people who are generally in good physical condition and are active anyway.
Beach Mama
Jan 28, 2014 Beach Mama rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, self-help

Mary
Mar 30, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A companion book to The Fast Diet and The Fast Diet Cookbook. Will start implementing some of these ideas into my daily routine -- according to this book I am doing way too much exercise. Suggests fast interval exercise with intervals of moderate pace coupled with short spurts of max speed to achieve results quicker and more efficiently. We'll see.
Henny
Jul 13, 2014 Henny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative book. I am not inclined to jump right into fast exercise, though. I am much to happy with my current running / yoga practice. I might tweak some of my practice to the fast exercise principles. What I liked most about the book where the down-to-earth way of delivering the content and the appeal to live a more active life.
Leo Africanus
Jan 23, 2014 Leo Africanus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
An inspired purchase following a conversation over dinner. Who'd have thought you can reap the benefits of exercise without actually having to do much exercise? Well written, scientifically sound, honest regarding limitations with some very handy exercise routines. Started my High Intensity Training today...
Xanthi
May 05, 2015 Xanthi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the TV program about this first and then wanted to read the book. The book doesn't offer all that much more information about the background science, than the TV episode did, but it does offer more practical advice, like exercise programs and options.
I am already doing the Fast Diet and have lost about 3kgs so far. I am now ready to add this exercise style to see what happens.
Igor
Jul 09, 2014 Igor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't really fault this book, but almost all the information is available readily from Dr. Google. It is well put together and the first exercise book I've read that actually points out most traditional exercise is not necessary or even useful.
  • The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled Meals to Make Your Fasting Days Easy
  • This Is What You Just Put in Your Mouth?: From Eggnog to Beef Jerky, the Surprising Secrets
  • The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health, Sustainable Fat Loss, and an incredible body
  • Make Shift Happen: Change How You Look by Changing How You Think
  • The 3-1-2-1 Diet: Eat and Cheat Your Way to Weight Loss--up to 10 Pounds in 21 Days
  • Paleo Cleanse: 30 Days of Ancestral Eating to Detox, Drop Pounds, Supercharge Your Health and Transition into a Primal Lifestyle
  • Rip It Up
  • Eat Bacon, Don't Jog: A Contrarian's Guide to Diet, Exercise, and What Actually Works
  • Cavewomen Don't Get Fat: The Paleo Chic Diet for Rapid Results
  • Mindfulness for Dummies [with Audio CD]
  • The Shift: How I Finally Lost Weight and Discovered a Happier Life
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • The 30-Day Heart Tune-Up: A Breakthrough Medical Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
  • The Big Picture: 11 Laws That Will Change Your Life
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • No Meat Athlete: Run on Plants and Discover Your Fittest, Fastest, Happiest Self
  • Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life
  • I Quit Sugar
Michael Mosley (born 22 March 1957) is a British television journalist, producer and presenter who has worked for the BBC since 1985. He is probably best known as a presenter of television programmes on biology and medicine and his regular appearances on The One Show.

Born in Kolkata, India, the son of a bank director, Mosley studied philosophy, politics and economics at New College, Oxford before
More about Michael Mosley...

“A pound of fat contains more energy than a pound of dynamite.” 2 likes