Start by marking “Do More, Spend Less: The New Secrets of Living the Good Life for Less” as Want to Read:
Do More, Spend Less: The New Secrets of Living the Good Life for Less

Do More, Spend Less: The New Secrets of Living the Good Life for Less

Do More, Spend Less is about erasing everything you have learned about being a consumer, turning the tables on retailers, airlines, hotels, banks and credit cards and essentially every business that has been winning the battle for your hard-earned cash.

Instead of saying, “I can’t afford that,” you’ll be using the advice, tips and strategies in this book to find everything
Published January 14th 2013 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Do More, Spend Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do More, Spend Less

Start your review of Do More, Spend Less: The New Secrets of Living the Good Life for Less
John
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the spirit of the content titles ("How I spent weeks at one of the nicest hotels in the world for $20 (Or how to turn award points into $54,000)"), the surely-inevitable second edition should contain the following extra chapter: "How I repackaged the free BradsDeals.com blog content into a book and paid for a heavily discounted diesel BMW SUV with the proceeds."

Unfortunately, most of the book is highly anecdotal, much of it telling of deals that no longer exist, as if we are supposed to read
Tony

I paused to appreciate the moment. We were flying in international first class to a five-star hotel, enjoying a no-expense-spared two-and-a-half week European vacation with the finest services and amenities. The trip, had we paid cash, would have cost more than $50,000. Our cost? Zero.
What a life! I just knew I had to tell everyone else how they could live this way.

Of course, the trip wasn't only free if you ignore the costs involved in collecting enough airline miles, the taxes and fees that ar
Elizabeth
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
An interesting book, but there's too many examples of how the author did some extreme maneuvering to get free airline miles. I prefer books to have some personal examples but more practical advice. In fact, the main maneuver described to get free airline miles (ordering coins from the mint and then depositing them in the bank on a credit card)isn't available because the mint got bad publicity from people doing exactly what the author did.
Julianne
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, how-to
If you are familiar with the site BradsDeals.com then you know about this book. He really goes into a lot of detail on how he makes programs and points work for him. Many of the ideas are still viable and it's a great resource if you are have an expensive trip to plan or are fairly inexperienced in the online shopping world.
A library copy was fine for me but there were several great tips that would have easily justified the purchase.
Carsten Hansen
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of really good tips in this book, tips that help you spend less money, get more value for money that you do spend. However, a lot of the tips have expired, are no longer useful, although it may help to inspire you to work something out on your own as it has for me.
In terms of the advise on credit cards and personal finance, the book taught me a lot, knowledge that is easy to expand upon and update through a variety of websites on the subject.
Gina Lincicum
Very frustrated by this book. It was published this year but references old deals and offers that there's no way to replicate now. The landscape has changed too much. The only thing I took away from it was to compare credit card offers (cash vs. miles vs. points) when you're planning to travel in order to cash in for free airline tickets.
Amberwench
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An entire book of Brad bragging about getting dozens of credit cards for the miles, then using those miles to take vacations. If you want to see pictures of Brad's vacation, this book's for you! On page 195 Brad points out that many of the things he did for all these free vacations are no longer available.
Elizabeth
This book is good if you already have a good cash flow. Not if you are broke and are looking at ways to save money.
Grace
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Are you already loaded with money? Do you have more credit cards and loyalty cards than you know what to do with? Do you have a lot of time on your hands looking for bargains using loyalty points?

Then, this book tells you what to do with those. If you can bother to listen to how he got his deals that are no longer functional as he got them in the early 2000s or so.

Instead, just cut to the chase, look at what bribes cards give you to sign up, then make the most of those bribes. That's ALL this
Jared Bryson
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. The author has clearly mastered the art of living well on a shoe-string budget.

He reviews all sorts of ways one can earn free airline miles and hotel points. He details all of the deals he leveraged to send he and his wife to Europe and Australia for almost nothing.

His key - simply leveraging all of the deals available on the web to your advantage.

A great read - very enjoyable.
Brian
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Fascinating stuff, some of which I think I will find very useful. However, it seems like a lot of the programs he mentions are quickly reforming themselves to make it harder to do things like he describes, especially the hotel rewards programs. Even some of his car buying hacks, though they still work, are more expensive than when he wrote about them. So, a useful book, but I'm not sure how long it will be useful for.
Kim Browers
May 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For a book that I felt was geared toward thrifty living, this was written from one of the most priviledged perspectives I could possibly think of. The scheme for getting frequent flyer miles that started with putting $800,000 on a credit card? Yeah...this is totally for the common household. Sure it is. Hard pass.
Gaby
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a lot of the deals are outdated, this book gave me lots of ways of thinking differently about how I spend. Give it a listen (audiobook) or a read. You'll enjoy his savings stories and maybe embark on a savings journey of your own.
Melissa McCraw-Hummer
Really disappointed. Hoping for a minimalist approach to money that would allow for more experiences. Half the book was about credit card points, miles, balance transfers, and borderline scammy practices.
Richard
I'm holding back from reading the other reviews. But my general overview of the book is that if you really want to tdo more with less, you need to maximize perks that are given to you. The author focuses on credit cards, but has bank accounts, and some other interesting ways to look like you are someone who spends substantially more than what is actually being spent.

That being said, in order to employ (most of) the tips in this book you do need some capital to use, pay for credit card fees, and
Paula
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting

This is an interesting read. I find it funny that Brad shades the extreme coupon people but plays the same methods with his travel miles. I did appreciate his online shopping recommendations.
Summer
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: info-books, travel
This book was fascinating just because of all the things he is/was able to accomplish but too much for audiobook. I would have to see it and read it to get more out of it and see if it's worth the time to do all he does for our family.
April Smith
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was terrible. I'm a Dave Ramsey follower, this guys answer is to get CC for everything. No way Brad.
Michael Lent
Not long on specifics.
Sam
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dry but overall good helpful information to save money!
Jay
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This was a lot more memoir and less how-to than I expected from the title and from the author. His focus was on the exploits of the various company reward systems available for personal gain. Think of this as the next generation of the "pudding guy" - the guy who figured out the frequent flyer miles being offered on pudding boxes was worth more than the pudding. Wilson obviously loves this, using dozens of credit cards to rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in purchases of.....dollar coins, ...more
Beth
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book on saving money while living well by the creator of the website Brad's Deals. Brad has chapters on travel, shopping, personal finance, etc. His travel chapter was pretty interesting. He's been able to score some amazing trips/travel deals by maximizing frequent flyer miles and reward programs and working towards elite status with various airlines/hotel chains. Some of the things he's tried would not be for the faint at heart (like buying U.S. mint coins via credit ca ...more
Sheryl Tribble
Aug 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Way too much bragging -- I'm good with egotistical authors (I like John T. Molloy!), but in this case the author is bragging about stuff the reader can't do, in a book that's supposed to be tips on how to live well cheaply. Bah.

I found only one bit of useful info in this book, although I admittedly didn't read it cover to cover or with a lot of attention. I also did not like that a lot of the info that isn't out of date is ways to cheat the system -- getting access to coupon codes that don't app
John
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book is focused on travel and written primarily to businessmen and women who travel quite a bit. A lot of this was funded by schemes that were out of date (buying dollar coins with a credit card and them depositing them back into your account, for one). Because of that I almost gave up on the book.

The second half of the book was more helpful, in particular Wilson's recommendations regarding purchases (everything from cars to diamond rings), but again many of his methods wer
Jeff Smith
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne
Jul 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not helpful for someone like me with little or no money. It's more for those who can afford to travel frequently or able to buy technology,homes,cars, etc. The only half dozen or so pages worth it are about how credit unions are better than banks, but I knew that already and only have accounts at credit unions.
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was easy enough to read, but a lot of his ideas are outdated and only work if you have a very flexible work schedule. I've taken his advice that's still relevant, however, and will see what schemes I can come up with a-la-Brad.
llng
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed. Poor book. The author let you know how he saved money, almost like a diary with pictures of the deals he got but all are "old" tips and the deals he used are all "expired".
Luckily I didn't buy this book, got a copy from the library. Sorry but it's a waste of time reading such a book.
Jessica
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book totally changed how I manage my finances – and especially how I use credit cards! I'm no longer afraid of them and will never pay full price for a vacation again... ;) Thinking of buying my first car this year and you bet I will be rereading those chapters soon!
Janitza Pagan
Mar 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
HUGE waste of time. The author spends most of the book telling you outdated ways to earn frequent flyer miles and use those to "save". Was hoping for more useful information for day to day budget and living, for the average salaried person.

• The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter
  • The No Spend Year: How I spent less and lived more
  • Act Like a Lady: Questionable Advice, Ridiculous Opinions, and Humiliating Tales from Three Undignified Women
  • Manage Your Time to Reduce Your Stress: A Handbook for the Overworked, Overscheduled, and Overwhelmed
  • FAKE: Fake Money, Fake Teachers, Fake Assets: How Lies Are Making the Poor and Middle Class Poorer
  • The Money Class: Learn to Create Your New American Dream
  • Women with Money: The Judgement-Free Guide to Creating the Joyful, Less Stressed, Purposeful Life You Want with the Money You Have
  • Fight for Your Money: How to Stop Getting Ripped Off and Save a Fortune
  • Get Money: Live the Life You Want, Not Just the Life You Can Afford
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • 55, Underemployed, and Faking Normal: Your Guide to a Better Life
  • The Longevity Paradox: How to Die Young at a Ripe Old Age
  • Lady of the English
  • What Are You Hungry For?: The Chopra Solution to Permanent Weight Loss, Well-Being, and Lightness of Soul
  • Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition