Start by marking “The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories

The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories

(Perry Mason #84)

189 pages
Published (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Of The Crimson Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Of The Crimson Kiss

Evgeny
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book consists of five stories with only one of them long enough to qualify for a status of novella: Perry Mason one, unsurprisingly. So without further ado they are:

The Case of the Crimson Kiss. Perry Mason defended a young woman who was framed for a murder. The identity of the murderer is unknown until the end as usual, but this time we get to see the creation of a perfect frame from the beginning, Columbo-style. The murdered guy had a lipstick imprint on his bald head, thus the title.
Lipstick

Unli
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is more of a short story but very good setting up. A combination of whodunnit mystery and the inverted mystery. We don't know who commits the first murder, but we do know who tries to cover it up, even attempting to commit another murder. Why does someone who has not committed a murder, try to frame someone else and even try murder the person they are framing. You'll have to read the story to find out.
Don
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: perry-mason
Good book overall. Not the best but it was a good sampling of his other works. "The Case of the Crimson Kiss" was a good case. It felt a bit rushed but a good story. I think the best story was the desert story. "The Valley of Little Fears" had great pulp characters and great style.
"Crooked Lightning" had a great build-up but the climax left me wanting and re-reading the last page to see if I missed something of if that was really the end.
"Fingers of Fong" was another good detective yarn. That o
Tony
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE CASE OF THE CRIMSON KISS. (1948). Erle Stanley Gardner. ***1/2.
This tale gets its title from the fact that the first murdered man we come across has the imprint of a pair of lips across his forehead. That’s a good opener. Did you know that lip prints – like finger prints – are unique to each individual. It’s a lot easier to get fingerprints and file them away, however, than it is for fingerprints. I’m saying this as if I know it to be true. I am really only parroting Gardner’s bit of inform
B.R. Stateham
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A novelette, one of two, out of the Perry Mason double whammy, The Case of the Caution Coquette. Not bad. Some nice courtroom scenes. Some interesting twist and turns in investigating two apparently separate crimes that wind up being just one big, complex crime.

But the ending . . .oh my gosh! The ending is so confusing and contrived it almost killed the whole story for me. Still, I like the Perry Mason novels as a whole. The orginal Mason is so different that what has been portrayed on the smal
Freya
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I particularly enjoyed the Fingers of Fong and Gardner's detailing of the Oriental society in LA. Jerry Marr also made an impact with his fast wits and smart cheeky thinking.
Judith
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Book overall was fun reading if you like the old classics, but buried inside is a delightful short story no one should miss. Discovering it was like actually finding a small, but nearly perfect diamond in the of those tourist attraction "Real Diamond Fields." "The Valley of Little Fears" is that small jewel. Look for it if you get a chance.

The main novelette and other short stories were good also.
Richa
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Considering that this was a collection of short stories and not a single case, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Gardner did write in different styles. There is a thriller here, a fast paced heist too, alongwith my favorite Mason novellete!
James Vest
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Five stories including a Perry Mason novelette which reads like an underdeveloped draft of an otherwise fine mystery. Recommended only for completists.
Leew49
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Cleverly plotted Perry Mason from the original series by Erle Stanley Gardner. This novelette was also adapted faithfully for the TV series starring Raymond Burr.
Les Anderson
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a bad collection of stories, although it's not for everyone.

The Case of the Crimson Kiss is one of the better Perry Mason mysteries. Trust Mason to pull a rabbit out of his hat in the courtroom.

Fingers of Fong is a little odd, although it probably didn't feel that way at the time it was written. There's a bit of deus ex machina at the end that turned me off completely.

The Valley of Little Fears is great!! I love stories like this. There's no mystery here, just a well-told story about fear. I
Ed
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Early short stories of Perry Mason creator, Erle Stanley Gardner, published in the pulps, accompanying an early Perry Mason novella. Lots of fun, and for Perry Mason fans, in addition to the novella, is a 50 page private eye caper featuring Jerry Marr - read At Arm's Length and see if Jerry doesn't sound a whole lot like Perry.

SS - Features the novella The Case of the Crimson Kiss (1948) in which Perry Mason clears his client, despite damning evidence in the victim's lovenest, through the lipsti
Girish
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Imagine short mysteries with characters you read about for 2 pages before having to back them for solving the case in 30 pages. This Novelette that includes one Perry Mason caselet among 5 short stories was not really my cup of tea.

Published posthumously, the book contains early writings of mystery and intrigue which feature unlikely heroes.

The case of the crimson kiss was crisp but an average mystery. In my mind, I imagined it to be a brief for a bigger book. Fingers of Fong was weird and Vall
Ani Vardanyan
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What I like about detective stories in general is that when they're good firstly they are very absorbing: getting curious you read them very fast, secondly, the language is rather simple for a non-native speaker, so you're almost never interrupted to open a dictionary, and thirdly they're just interesting and enjoyable to read. :D :)) So, this one was one of the bests!
Donna
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery, not one of his best. Plenty of plot twists and turns, a bit short on character development because of the short length of the story. Still, it was an entertaining read, which is what Perry Mason novels are all about! (read as an additional story contained in the Cautious Coquette)
Vincent Darlage
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this short little novelette. Good clean resolution.
Donna
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Treasury of Great Mysteries This one was my favorite. I do need to find more Perry Mason stories. I passed so many up when going to book sales...who knew I'd like them!!
Lauren Barrett
Victor Galué
Sep 07, 2015
  • The Murderer
  • Blood on the Tracks: Railway Mysteries
  • Kuka murhasi rouva Skrofin?
  • The Adventures of Ellery Queen
  • The Last Defender of Camelot
  • Les Confessions d'un bourgeois
  • Two Lives and a Dream
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin
  • The Allingham Case-Book
  • The Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
  • Crime Stories and Other Writings
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Znaczy Kapitan
  • The Wind Among the Reeds
  • The Man Whom the Trees Loved

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece