Start by marking “Close to Home” as Want to Read:
Close to Home

Close to Home

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Lisa Jackson comes an atmospheric and riveting novel of suspense that uncovers the horrifying secrets buried within a ramshackle house. . .

Vowing to make a fresh start, Sarah McAdams has come home to renovate the old Victorian mansion where she grew up. Her daughters, Jade and Gracie, aren't impressed by the rundown property on the
Published August 26th 2014 by Kensington (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Close to Home, please sign up.
Annie Yes. Just assume that any and all books by Lisa Jackson will feature incest as one of the main romances of the story. Either Lisa Jackson was abused…moreYes. Just assume that any and all books by Lisa Jackson will feature incest as one of the main romances of the story. Either Lisa Jackson was abused or close to incest as a child/teen and this is her therapy or this is a kink of hers she is happy to try and force on anyone who wants to read her books.(less)

Mandy
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was FAN FREAKING TASTIC!!!! Five stars for sure. Terrifying plot surrounding a family mystery and disappearance, a manor that might be haunted, a single mom with two teenage girls, and a kidnapper on the loose. Seriously, can it get better than that?!

The characters were written to perfection, each one likable or (un) likable. Hell- even the bastards were likable in this book... they were written so well that you loved to hate them.

The scenery, the land, and the house played a HUGE par
Krista
Oct 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
The only horrifying aspect of this book was the fact that it was under the "Best Seller" section at Barnes & Noble. There is an abundance of potential here to create a plot with strong, admirable, and solid female characters ranging from the mother, Sarah, her two daughters, the head officer of the case of the missing girls, to the missing girls themselves. However, it is a typical case of "let the man do that for me." Clint Walsh, a man with no depth at all (I think there's more insight int ...more
Kira Gimm
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Stupid stupid ending. Not only did the author resolve everything in 2 pages, but the bad guy was such a minor character that when it was announced who it was I went,"who?" And then had to page back through the book to find them. You learn virtually nothing about the back stories of any characters. I'm giving it 2 stars only because it had such potential and was pretty good until about the last 1/3 of the book. Don't waste time on this one.
✨Susan✨
A fast pace mystery with a paranormal twist. A mother of two young girls moves back to her small town to remodel an old family mansion after splitting from her husband. I thought it was going to be the same as many other tell tale, starting over stories, but when a heartless villain is added it gets interesting. Young girls in this quiet, small town start disappearing and we are privy to the fact that the abductor is hiding in plain sight but we are not told until the end who it is. There are a ...more
Allana Kellett
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I just finished reading this book as part of All YOU book club. I had a hard time staying with it, it literally kept putting me to sleep. It is an ok read once you get thru it, but I don't feel the author was really successful with trying to keep all the twists and turns going. It actually at times made me very confused and I felt she was changing things she had just written.
Alex is The Romance Fox
I was a bit disappointed with Lisa Jackson’s latest book, Close to Home. I have read so many books by this author and have really liked most of them, but this one never grabbed me!!!!

Ghosts that haunt an decrepit mansion somewhere in the Northwest Pacific overlooking Columbia River that holds family secrets, unexplained disappearances, murders , kidnappings, serial killer on the loose......and a lot of all those unexplainable things!!!!
Sounds totally great.......yes, it does!!! But somehow, I fo
Ashley
From all the bad reviews I had seen I thought this was gonna be a dud....
I should have known Mrs. Lisa Jackson would not disappoint!!

This was terrific!! It had everything Lisa Jackson is known for, good story, likes le people, places, drama, background, and twists!!!
(view spoiler) I was very happy with this book!! As always I think she did great with this book! For a stand alone (I'm living her series!) Shiit way better then I
Becky
Mar 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
The start of this story is dark and spooky, however this is the highlight of the story. From here you are presented with a cast of unconvincing characters, multiple twists and turns which are virtually impossible to keep track of and a somewhat disappointing story which never lives up to it's initial promise. The whole thing is wound up in a couple of pages, which really does make the reading this feel even more of a waste of time. I've never read this author before and have to say that after th ...more
Joanne
Jul 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
To mark this book as "read" is almost a fib. I read about 75 pages and just couldn't stand anymore. The story was so full of cliches (missing siblings, ghosts in the attic, old boyfriend living next door, blah blah blah) that I just couldn't stand anymore. I skipped ahead to the last chapter and what do you know? All cliches fulfilled as expected. A total waste of time to spend another minute with this clinker.
Deborah Blanchard
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing read by Lisa Jackson! This book is full of suspense. We have ghosts and family secrets that you won't believe.There are kidnappings and well, just a little bit of everything to keep you enthralled. Great flow throughout this book. This is a book that every fan of suspense should read. She is a master storyteller of the very highest caliber and one of my favorite authors. A riveting read that you don't want to miss out on. I highly recommend this book. Lisa Jackson at her best!
Ari
Is this really the final version of this story?

There is so much going on—too much. And there is editing to be done.

And who said that this has any romantic elements? The romance (as weak as it is) swoops in at the last chapter and hits you over the head to convince you that it was there all along.

Jade is one of the most annoying and over the top brats of a teenager that I have read in a very long time.

Sarah is, in Clint’s own words:

"...the single most fascinating woman he'd ever met."

Really,
Marissa
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC copy of this one to read for the All You Book Club. I am a fan of suspense/mystery, and the premise sounded interesting, but I don't think it was pulled off successfully. There are two stories going on here - one a ghost story, the other a crime/whodunit story. The two stories did manage to come together in the reveal, but I had pretty much lost interest by the time the inevitable happened.

I don't want to reveal too much since this book is still to be officially released, but I
Corey
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never put spoilers in my reviews. I am so glad my friends recommended this book to me. Definitely going to read more from this author!!!
Samyann
Just under sixteen hours of listening, read by Joyce Bean. Joyce Bean does a good job, voices unique, good tempo and timing, a nice audio production.

I suppose one would have to say this story evoked emotion, which in a way, is a good thing. However, the emotion for me was one of aggravation. The character of Jade was one of an angst ridden, obnoxious, insulting, rotten brat. She is obsessed with no one but herself, which is typical rebellious teenaged behavior, but for me it was over-the-top and
Cynthia
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has a little bit of everything that I like. Its a mystery that crosses several generations, a ghost story, a crime novel and a romance. When a divorced woman returns to decaying family mansion with her two girls and a determination to renovate the house despite secrets that frighten her, she awakens long repressed questions and memories. Add to this the fact that her youngest daughter "senses things" and sees ghosts. She carefully researches the house and is determined to help a family ...more
Sharon
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Beth (bibliobeth)
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Before this novel, I was not familiar with any of Lisa Jackson’s previous work but when I was offered the chance to read, review and be part of a blog tour by the publishers Mulholland Books, on the strength of the synopsis I jumped at the chance. In my late adolescence I devoured books like these, the entire crime/thriller genre actually formed part of my staple “book” diet and I read little else before I expanded my horizons slightly. The book starts with a bang, introducing some of the previo ...more
Janice Forman
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this novel. Firstly, there was an element of the supernatural, of which I have never been a fan. I found one of the main characters to be very unlikable and I don't feel her annoying teenager attitude was necessary for the story to unfold. There were elements of the plot that did add some intrigue, but the suspense that was promised by the reviews simply was not there. At times, the story read like a Harlequin romance.

Sarah McAdams, with her two daughters, a precocious 11
Joan
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I could have done without the element of the supernatural in this book - and there is certainly enough plot and drama without it; however, I greatly enjoyed this novel. The plot is extremely multi-faceted and complex. The characters are well developed and believable. The action is fast-paced; and the writing style is smooth, polished and effective.
Lisa Mcbroom
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book had such promise but too many convulated plots make this novel a water downed Lifetime Movie. Is it a mystery? Is it a Haunted house story? Is it childhood abuse? Do I even care??????
Dee

Believable characters
Just hint of romance
Joey Woolfardis
[Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for my copy.]

Sarah and her two daughters move, somewhat reluctantly on all their parts, back to her childhood home in Oregon to renovate it. Sarah, however, is haunted by her past there, and the house's own past is seeping through the floorboards... Then teenage girls start going missing throughout the town and Sarah is scared for her daughters' safety, as well as her own.

I applied to receive this book because it was written by a female author and the genre seem
Cardmaker
Mar 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I think the fact that I've given it one star and put it on my "couldn't finish" shelf will tell you what I think of it.

I got to page 63 before I realized that I just didn't care enough about any of the characters to want to pick the book up again. I usually give a book 100 pages before I quit reading but I couldn't go any farther with this one.

The main character, Sarah, decides to go back to the old house she grew up in and renovate it. We get the impression that she's had this plan in the works
Kate Ayers
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Hm. Well, I thought this was going to be a ghost story and I was in the mood for one. But the focus shifted to local girls being abducted. The setting, a fictional town in the Columbia River Gorge, held intrigue, and turned out to play a great part. The characters, though, I had difficulty liking. Sarah Stewart McAdams, a single mom, just couldn't seem to come up with enough backbone to parent efficiently. And her teenager Jade had the worst of attitudes, living a life pretty well filled with go ...more
Shelli
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I finished this book so I could rate it and warn my sweet friends to save their precious reading time. Pretend I am the author..."Let's see, I think I will write a novel about sex trafficking. Yes, and I will throw in some incest, adultery, and a murder mystery. Wait, definitely need a ghost or two...and kidnapping, and a crazy old woman who is a murderer. Oh, wait, I forgot voyeurism, and let's renovate a house while we're at it." Seriously? It also read like a middle schooler wrote it, which w ...more
Jean
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
After nine days of reading, and only getting halfway through this book, I had to call it quits. I felt like there was too many characters being introduced, and the story wasn't progressing on any of them. I found that I really didn't care how it ended, so I stopped reading.
Jennette Cole
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed the book, but the last 2 chapters felt rushed. I wanted to feel more completion at the end of the story instead of a rushed epilogue.
Jodi
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another Lisa Jackson gem. A little bit of ghostly presence, little bit of evil doing, and a little bit of romance wrapped up into a great read. If you're a LJ fan, I'd highly recommend this read.
Dina
Oct 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I did not care for this book. I'm not into ghost/supernatural stories, and the other storyline just never got suspenseful enough for me.
Samantha Haugen
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished
***PROFANITY AND SPOILERS AHEAD***
ughh. Best selling author my ass. I have so many things wrong with this book, one of my biggest pet peeves is when authors mention something, foreshadow to something.... AND THEY NEVER ACTUALLY EXPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Plot Holes) Like dude, you had a whole f'ckn novel to clear up all this shit you mentioned before.

The Things That Miss Lisa Jackson Mentioned... But Just Left Hanging... AKA "Plot Holes"

- At the beginning of the book, there are numerous mention
Similar authors? 1 1 Mar 23, 2019 12:10PM
Play Book Tag: Close to Home by Lisa Jackson - 3 Stars 2 13 May 04, 2016 03:27PM

• Quiver
  • The Day the President Was Shot: The Secret Service, the FBI, a Would-Be Killer, and the Attempted Assassination of Ronald Reagan (The Last Days Series)
  • The Last Disciple
  • Five Days: Which Days Would You Choose?
  • Stop & Frisk
  • Sand
  • Tim Burton's Corpse Bride: An Invitation to the Wedding
  • Consequential President
  • SEVEN-X

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

“Good. Slowly, nerves as tight as bowstrings, she swept the weakening beam across the floor. Heart racing, ready to bolt, she tried to convince herself there was no one in the vault, no one but her and her own pounding pulse. She was wrong. A skeleton lay stretched upon a slab—a woman, she guessed, from its small size and the rotting nightgown and dark clumps of hair. “Oh, dear God.” The corpse had been here a while—teeth” 0 likes
“law, in violation of his parole. And he had a history of” 0 likes