Start by marking “Twelve Houses” as Want to Read:
Twelve Houses

Twelve Houses

Can anything good follow the best thing that ever happened to you?

Amelia Weiss loved her husband of thirty-five years very much, but now he’s left her a widow. Without him, she is unable to work in her sculpture studio without crying. She no longer has a bridge to her estranged daughter. And she can’t seem to keep her mind in the present.

But when her daughter reaches out
Published November 28th 2013 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Houses

Start your review of Twelve Houses
Cindy
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a little bit of a different read for me, and I found I really enjoyed it. Olga Soaje writing style is really beautiful, she draws you in emotionally, and I felt so invested in her characters. Amelia's story is a familiar story of loss of a loved one that is not only your bff, but your lover, confidant and husband.

He made promises.

"You promised you would never leave me. Thirty-five years ago, I looked you directly in the eye and heard, "I will never leave You."

Amelia was so in love with
Margitte
Amelia Weiss is used to Nathan, her husband, finding solutions for all her problems. If she needed time, he hired a babysitter for her baby; if she asked him to live forever, he promised he will never leave her. He was better in taking care of their baby Chloe; he was better at taking care of Amelia than she was of him. He was a busy successful doctor who also made time for both the kids when she was busy in her studio with her sculptures. He was an understanding and supporting husband. He ...more
Diana Hockley
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
During the last few weeks, I have been privileged to read three outstanding novels, each about aspects of love - and this is one! I will not repeat the synopsis - others have done so.

This book is sensitively and beautifully written, with great charm. Those of us who have lost close loved ones will recognise themselves in Amelia, the sculptress, who–bereft after the death of her beloved husband, Nathan–can no longer function. The needs of her family and friends are the catalyst which drive her
Dianne
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Twelve Houses Twelve Houses by Olga Soaje

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Lori Garside
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, powerful and poignant - Twelve Houses is the story of one woman's journey back to life after the death of her beloved husband. The book explores the relationships around her and her painful journey back to love.

Amelia Weiss loses her beloved husband, Nathan, after being married for 35 years. A talented artist and loving mother, she does not know how to go on. Her creative muse has disappeared; she's very close to her son, but has a rocky relationship with her daughter; and
Laurel-Rain
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Amelia Weiss, well-known sculptor, loses her beloved husband Nathan after thirty-five years, there is a huge hole in her life. In her heart. She is paralyzed by the pain and grief, and finds it impossible to resume her sculpting. Her life in Seattle feels strange and empty.

Her grown children, Chloe and David, hover for awhile and then go on with their lives. In fact, Chloe has always been just out of her mother's reach, distant, and with Nathan gone, there is nobody to forge the gap between
Shelby
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
* I received a free Ecopy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review *

Twelve Houses by Olga Soaje is a remarkable novel of life and death and love and loss so intricately and wonderfully woven together.

The first chapter of this book is so incredibly sad. Amelia has lost her husband, Nathan, the love of her life. She doesn't she how she can possibly go on without him and furthermore, she doesn't want to. In Twelve Houses we follow Amelia on her journey to find a balance, a
Renee
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it

This is a pretty good contemporary woman's fiction. Amelia was approaching 60 and suddenly a widow. She has a road ahead of her that it seems she is not ready for. She had a husband who did everything for her. Making reference to numerology, the title is fitting. It is a somewhat emotional story that encompasses love, marriage, life, and loss. I understood the character and how she had to push herself to accept the loss of Nathan and grow. I got the impression that she needed to grow as
Jami Collier
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this very heart warming story of Amelia who suddenly loses her husband of 35 years and has to somehow go on living. The characters in this story were very well developed and easy to relate to. I very much look forward to reading more from this author!!!
Akeisha -Til' The Last Page BB
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Reviewed by: Anne

An arc was provided for an honest review.

I am writing this review almost immediately after finishing the book in the hope that the raw emotions that I am feeling are evident. This is not my usual choice of book but I am so glad that I have had the privilege of reading it.

Amelia, at 58 is widowed suddenly. Nathan her husband of 35 years was the love of her life. Not just a husband but also a friend, protector and her strength. They have two grown up children, Chloe their
Lenora Good
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received an email from the author asking if she was to give me a Kindle copy of her book, would I read it and give it an honest review, whether or not I liked it? I agreed.

The first thing I noticed about this book was the protagonist, Amelia, was 59, not 19 or even an old woman of 29. Solid points in Ms. Soaje's favor right from the start—contemporary fiction for the silver haired!

Amelia married the love of her life 30 some years ago who had the extreme bad manners of dying
Dianne
Every once in a while a book comes along that takes your breath away with its powerful message and magnetic words. Twelve Houses by Olga Soaje has rocked me back on my heels. Amelia and her husband vowed to never leave each other, but thirty-five years after they took their vows, Amelia has been made a widow. She becomes like a ship lost at sea, unable to function, to create the sculptures she loves so much, she is paralyzed emotionally. The relationships around her are strained, and she cannot ...more
Savvy
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
TWELVE HOUSES

“Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip Toe if you must, but take the step.”

In Twelve Houses, Amelia Weiss finds herself suddenly widowed and her life stops moving. She is so overcome with anger, grief, and disbelief that she is frozen in a state of an inutile, unpurposed existence.
She is unable to move forward as she clings tenaciously to her past happiness and memories.

Life is always a leap of faith forward, but Amelia
Sasha
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that I have read by Olga Soaje. I was privileged to read this outstanding novel Twelve Houses By Olga Soaje. Every once in a while a book will come along that will take your breath away. This is one of them it has such a powerful message. This book is sensitively and beautifully written, with great charm. She has written this book in the first person, which is not an easy thing to do.... but for Olga she has made this seem very easy. The story flows effortlessly, with ...more
Mary
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Difficult Decisions

A captivating piece of written art to provoke thought and reflection on one’s own life is how I perceived Twelve Houses. Olga Soaje did not claim to have written these magnificent words as a self-help book, but I’m making the comparison.

Adversity is part of life, but as the cliché states, it’s how we handle our struggles that matters. Amelia became a widow after thirty-five years of a loving marriage. Understanding her choices regarding family, work, and relationships, may
Kelly Hartigan
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amelia and her husband had made a vow to never leave one another. After 35 years of marriage, her husband breaks his vow; however, he left her through death. Amelia is struggling to deal with her grief. Twelve Houses was a beautiful journey of Amelia's loss of a soul mate, coping with grief, and her personal growth and self-discovery in learning how to move on. Twelve Houses also delved into how other family members coped with their grief.

On a personal note, I struggled with reading this book
Jenny Hayworth
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written piece exploring love, loss and loyalty. The grief of a woman who lost her husband unexpectedly in death too soon. The ambivalence of motherhood and the struggle with guilt over a daughter she always strained to feel at ease with. The healing power of a creative gift that when pursued makes one feel whole and complete along with the juggle of responsibilities and decision making inherent in family life and the balancing act required to keep strong relationships with ...more
Lorilin
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, arc
Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot. I liked the story, and I liked the characters. I also liked that the protagonist is older, wiser, and a bit more experienced in life. I found Soaje's account of Amelia's grief following the death of her husband to be compelling and believable--and it was a unique start to a story that proved to be very engaging and satisfying to read.

My only complaint is that the book dragged a bit at times. I felt like some extra editing could have helped move the story along
Farah
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, this book uplifts your spirit and makes you believe how anyone deserves to fulfill their dreams, embrace happiness and over all things enjoy the beauty of a new beginning. Everyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one should read this.
Maribel Reyes
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was a bit reluctant to read this book after I read the first few pages, mostly because of the story. But after giving it a chance I couldn't put it down. I read the book in the least amount of time I've read any book! I was hooked on the story, the characters and truly hope there is a follow up!
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

After her husband passes away, Amelia Weiss goes through the most difficult period in her life. Without Nathan, she’s lost, clueless of what to do next. Even getting out of bed in the morning is nearly impossible. Sculpting, which always brought her joy, reduces her to tears. The love of her life is gone, and she’s left alone to pick up the pieces.

Her son, Davi, leads his own life in the city with his fiance. Her
Carrie Lahain
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Weiss is in her late fifties when she loses her husband of many years to an unexpected heart attack. Her grief is profound, and she's unsure how to move forward--or even if it is possible to do so. She has support from friends and from her two children, though they live in different cities. But Amelia's grief gets in the way of her creativity--she's a famous sculptor. This is a problem because her agent, a difficult and complicated woman, has arranged a show in a renown NY venue. Amelia ...more
Teena in Toronto
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Amelia's husband of 35 years, Nathan, passes away suddenly. She's hurt and angry because he'd promised that they'd be together forever. She is an artist and discovers she has lost her spirit for creating sculptures. While in her studio, she hears Nathan's voice encouraging her and she's inspired again.

In the meantime, her daughter, Chloe, is having a rough pregnancy and asks her mother to spend some time with her in San Francisco. Amelia has never had a good relationship with Chloe so she sees
Elaine
After being married to the love of her life, Nathan for many years, Amelia suddenly finds herself lost and alone when he dies unexpectedly of a heart attack. It's difficult for her to get back to her sculpting until faced with an ultimatum from her agent and she resents her for it.

The relationship between her and her daughter Chloe has always suffered with her husband being the go-between. Now that he's gone, she has no idea how to bridge that gap. Now Chloe is expecting her to visit her in
A Novel Love
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I started this book and immediately realized it is different from most of the other books I read. Amelia tugged at my heart. You can tangibly feel her pain throughout the book. I enjoyed the look into what life can be like after the loss of a spouse. I cannot even imagine the pain she went through. I enjoyed the flashback into Amelia and Chloe's start. As a new mom sometimes its hard to relate to your newborn and to see your spouse and others do it so effortlessly can make it worse.

While I knew
Jim Fromm
Keeping promises

Every relationship is built on promises. Some are written. Some are spoken. Some are simply understood. This beautiful story explores what happens when a promise is made in a good person's heart and it is impossible to keep. How does a vibrant, creative, woman deal with unexpected loss of her soul mate? How does her family and friends honor the person she was and allow her to become the person she must be? Written with love, astrological insights, and a beautifully clear voice;
Cj Mackenzie
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have received this book in exchange of an honest review.
Twelve Houses is definitely a powerful book about Amelia and her life.
After a big lose, Amelia is forced to stop and think and decide what she wants to do with her life. I enjoyed reading about her struggles to make decisions all on her own. Amelia is stronger than she thinks she is. Her life is not easy and she struggles with overwhelming grief and the difficulties of maintaining a relationship with her daughter.
I found this to be a
Michelle
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, inspiration
Twelve Houses by Olga Soaje tells the story of Amelia Weiss, a sculptress who loses her husband of thirty-five years suddenly and is faced with rebuilding her life, family, and career without him.

Soaje’s characters are well-developed and relatable; her writing is clean and a pleasure to read. The story flows naturally in all its directions yet is neither predictable nor cliché.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and if you like tales of self-discovery and personal growth and also believe that there
Val
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Twelve Houses is a comfortable, romance that incorporates family themes. This is not the genre that I usually read or prefer, however, I did appreciate the easy and lightness of this book. It was a very fast read, in fact I read it almost entirely in one night. I thought it was predictable and there were no surprises, but the characters were likable and kept me reading.
Judith
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astrology

I had No idea about astrology . This work has peeked my interest . I truly enjoyed the family relationships and could really understand the way everyone felt . I feel the author has done a superb job in tying everything together .
In my novel Twelve Houses, I tell the story of a widow who discovers that her life story is far from over. Amelia is a brave woman who struggles to find her true place in the world and at the same time to create a life that holds spiritual meaning and purpose. Though my first book, Borrowing My Mother’s Saints, was a comedy set in New York, I think both books describe a similar spiritual journey. ...more