Start by marking “Crimini: the Bitter Lemon book of Italian crime fiction” as Want to Read:
Crimini: the Bitter Lemon book of Italian crime fiction

Crimini: the Bitter Lemon book of Italian crime fiction

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  205 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
As De Cataldo, an appellate judge, points out in his pithy preface, corruption is a theme shared by all nine stories in this first U.S. anthology of Italian noir. The dark farce, "You Are My Treasure Chest" by Niccolo Ammaniti and Antonio Manzini, recounts the misadventures of drug-addicted plastic surgeon Paolo Bocchi, who finds a creative solution to hiding a stache of c ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Bitter Lemon Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Crimini, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crimini

Maddy
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
AUTHORS: 9 Italian authors
SETTING: Various parts of Italy
RATING: 3.5

I'm not normally a fan of short stories and thus was feeling a bit pessimistic about reading this collection, even though it was issued by one of my favorite publishers, Bitter Lemon Press. Most short stories seem to me to be inhibited by their length, often sacrificing plot and/or character development due to their restricted framework. Wisely, the stories in CRIMINI are much longer than in usual collections, with many of them
Ann Tonks
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved some of these stories and got so bored with some that I stopped reading them. That's usually the case with a mixture of stories by different writers so don't let that stop you checking out this collection of crime fiction. One of the most hysterical in an "oh my goodness, what's going to happen next" way was "You are my Treasure Chest" by Niccolo Ammaniti & Antonio Manzini and others that I enjoyed were "The Third Shot(Carlo Lucarelli), "The Boy who was kidnapped by the Christmas Fai ...more
Aries
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Ok, è ufficiale: io ed i racconti noir (o gialli o come cavolo volete chiamarli)scritti da autori italiani non andiamo d’accordo.
Anche questo Crimini, di cui avevo sentito parlare decentemente e che riportava nomi comunque interessanti è stato una delusione; non che sia tutto da buttare, intendiamoci, ma le cose da salvare sono veramente poco e, soprattutto, non c’è un racconto che sia riuscito a convincermi pienamente, il che è parecchio frustrante, non c’è che dire.
Una breve panoramica.
Sei il
Diana Sandberg
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t the slightest idea how I happened to order this book from the library, other than a vague notion I saw it while poking around on Amazon. Which doesn’t really explain matters, since I am not usually a fan of short stories, nor of contemporary mysteries. However – whatever prompted me was spot on, this was an excellent read. Nine short stories of a noir-ish flavour, and every one worth reading, most quite excellent. It is not easy to pick a favourite, but if pressed I think I’d choose on ...more
Diana Sandberg
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ladiibbug
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime Fiction Fans
4.5 stars - Italian Crime Anthol.

This is a very, very good collection of crime stories by various Italian authors. Each story and crime is unique, the characters are very intriguing and I thoroughly enjoyed each story. All stories are set in Italy, and I enjoyed absorbing the people, sights, places, foods, culture, etc.

I was drawn to this anthology as Andrea Camilleri is one of the authors -- he's a huge favorite of mine (Italian Police Inspector Salvo Montalbano series).

I even like the full tit
Phoebes
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tutti molto belli questi racconti, alcuni più divertenti (Il mio tesoro), alcuni più tristi (Troppi equivoci, Il covo di Teresa), alcuni veramente inquietanti (L’ospite d’onore), ma comunque tutti veramente belli! L’unica nota negativa è che adesso avendo letto tutti questi autori, ed essendomi tutti piaciuti molto, voglio leggere altre cose scritte da loro!!! E così si allunga la lista dei libri da comprare (anche se alcuni c’erano già da prima).

DéborahL
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: languages
Not what I usually read, but my local library had very little choice in Italian books, and this one caught my eye. It was much easier to read than I first feared, and even though I don't have an advanced level in Italian, it was perfectly understandable. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the noir style and the Italian language!
ao
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rispetto a iniziative simili, questa mi sembra di livello più alto.
Ammaniti + Manzini: inverosimile ma simpatico.
Carlotto, De Silva, De Cataldo: insomma.
Faletti: piaciuto poco o niente.
Dazieri, Fois, Lucarelli: piaciuto abbastanza.
Bicefalus
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
una bella racconti di scrittori di noire e gialli italiani ... davvero siamo molto bravi in questo paese di dietrologi a scivere questo genere di racconti ..
dazieri torreggia sempre dall'alto della sua bravura e anche faletti non è da meno
Karry
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good little book of short stories. As most collections are, there were some really good stories (rated 3 1/2 to 4) and a few stinkers (one got a minus rating may have been a translation snafu), but most were a lot of fun to read. I'll look for some of these authors and read more!
Elena
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Adoro la maggior parte di questi autori, Ammaniti, De Cataldo, ma qui proprio la mia impressione e' che si siano sforzati al minimo per mettere insieme una raccolta. Zero entusiasmo,che e' proprio l'elemento che li caratterizza normalmente.
B
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok so technically I didn't finish all the stories in this book. Again, this was for class, so I am finished. I am happy to report that I liked these short gialli much better than the novels I have read. Some were better than others, but overall not too shabby.
B
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
very good book - about 10 Italian crime short stories - all originally written in Italian & translated to English
Willie Whelan
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A very good collection of short stories, which works well as an introduction to Italian crime fiction. As ever some stories are better than others but all are worth reading :)
Marco
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando il noir italiano non teme rivali
Pam
Feb 16, 2012
Sara Aras
Jan 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • La paura di Montalbano (Commissario Montalbano, #6.5)
  • La cura del gorilla
  • Ragionevoli dubbi
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Un giorno perfetto
  • I ragazzi del massacro (Duca Lamberti, #3)
  • The Sinner
  • That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana
  • La vedova scalza
  • Falange armata
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • Buenos Aires Quintet (Pepe Carvalho, #20)
Giancarlo De Cataldo è Giudice di Corte d'Assise a Roma, città nella quale vive dal 1973. Scrittore, traduttore, autore di testi teatrali e sceneggiature televisive, ha pubblicato come autore diversi libri, per lo più di genere giallo. Collabora con «La Gazzetta del Mezzogiorno», «Il Messaggero», «Il Nuovo», «Paese Sera» e «Hot!». Il suo libro più significativo è Romanzo criminale (2002), dal qual ...more
More about Giancarlo De Cataldo...