Start by marking “A Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Carol

Read Book* *Different edition

A Christmas Carol

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  545,368 ratings  ·  15,771 reviews
This large print title is set in Tieras 16pt font as reccomended by the RNIB.
Paperback, Large Print, 164 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published December 17th 1843)

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Carol, please sign up.
Dan Hennessy I find anything of human form without a face disturbing... there are no eyes to read, no windows of the soul to look into. Very scary, indeed. Not to…moreI find anything of human form without a face disturbing... there are no eyes to read, no windows of the soul to look into. Very scary, indeed. Not to mention Ignorance and Want, the two harrowing figures under his robe. All the more scary due to its foothold in reality... (less)
Brandon Although it has been said many times I believe that this is a book that needs to be read to be truly appreciated. We all know the story but the book…moreAlthough it has been said many times I believe that this is a book that needs to be read to be truly appreciated. We all know the story but the book adds so much more. There are scenes in here that are often cut out of the many rehashes of this story. The children clinging to Christmas Present for compassion, the ghost visiting miners and lonely sea captains at sea and even the scenes involving the nephew are all sacrificed for various reasons and they add so much to the book. Reading the book made me realize that the book is more than a story about one mans' reclamation and more a fable for all of us to learn from. (less)

·  545,368 ratings  ·  15,771 reviews

Start your review of A Christmas Carol
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I read this every year at Christmas, and I always will do. Simply because of the atmosphere it evokes. This story is Christmas as far as I’m concerned. It wouldn’t be the same without it. It is perfectly festive and is also appropriately didactic. It is an allegory for what happens to those that are unnecessarily bitter and twisted, refusing to take part in a joyful occasion. It is a glimpse at what could happen to someone who rejects their family upon trivial grounds, and let’s themselves be ...more
Bill Kerwin
May 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It has been a decade since I last read this classic, so I decided to look at it again, taking note of what I have forgotten or imperfectly remembered and also garnering any new insights my older (and I hope wiser) self could now find within it.

But first, I decided to do a little research, and discovered the great irony underlying the book’s creation: how this tale that warns against miserliness was born because of Dickens' acute need for money, and how its publication resulted in a dispute about
Leo .
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic story! How terrible it was to be poor in the Victorian Era. Dickens was a humanitarian and saw first hand the poverty in the streets of London. The starving urchins trying to steal an apple or a handkerchief. The void between the rich and the poor. This story, like Oliver Twist in my opinion is a masterpiece.

The musicals are just, brilliant.

Christmas is coming, we know its near

Evenings are darker, the cold weather is here

Will there be snow? The sky is white

Or have they been
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

Ebenezer Scrooge, the very definition of grumpy miserliness, gets a second chance at figuring out what's really important in life, with the help of some ghosts who give him an unforgettable version of "This is Your Life."

This may not be a perfect piece of literature - there are a few places where Dickens goes off on tangential lines of thought that I thought would have been better left out - but you know, it's actually amazing and really touching, the influence this classic novella has had on
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol in Prose, Being a Ghost-Story of Christmas, commonly known as A Christmas Carol, is a novella by Charles Dickens, first published in London by Chapman & Hall in 1843. A Christmas Carol tells the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, an old miser who is visited by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come.
عنوانها: سرود کریسمس؛ آواز کریسمس؛ اثر: چارلز دیکنز؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: در
jessica
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
im usually not a seasonal reader, but this year i tried to make an effort to read a couple of holiday themed books and im so glad i saved this for last!

i grew up very familiar with the story of ‘a christmas carol’ via multiple adaptations (shoutout to the flintstones version from my childhood!), but i cant believe i never read the actual book itself. dickens is such a well known author, so its difficult to not critique this as i normally would with a book. but i think the message of this story
Kalliope
REREADING IN 2017 BUT I REPEAT EVERYTHING BELOW TO MY UN-SCROOGY FRIENDS.

I wish a most UN-SCROOGY Christmas to all my GR Friends.

With lots of:

Not too much drinking

Christmas Games

Another watch of The Nutcracker

And of course...Fascinating and Beautiful Books

And to remember what Scrooge learnt:

I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!
JV (semi-hiatus)
Updated review. Previously rated this one with only a star rating, proper one now posted.

Gollum and Smeagol's "A Christmases Carol"
"External heat and cold had little influence on Scrooge. No warmth could warm, no wintry weather chill him. No wind that blew was bitterer than he, no falling snow was more intent upon its purpose, no pelting rain less open to entreaty."
Gollum: Yes, yes! No Christmases, only humbugses! We loves Scrooge, we loves our precious. We swears to keep our precious — so
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
*Read for class

1. This is the first book I've finished in September I am so damn excited.
2. I have endless love for this story because my mom is obsessed with Christmas movies so I've seen at least a million adaptations of it. Happy to say the book was even better! Short and sweet, yet still Dickensian!
Matthew
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, hoopla, audio, classic
How many times have I seen a version of A Christmas Carol? Probably too many times to count, but I can try:

- A stage version at least half a dozen times
- The Disney version with Scrooge McDuck
- The Disney version with Jim Carrey
- A Muppet Christmas Carol
- Scrooged with Bill Murray
- Probably more that I am forgetting

Finally, I have taken it upon myself to read the source material! Did I like it? Two words: BAH, HUMBUG!

In Dickens-ese that means I did. I have enjoyed pretty much every adaptation I
Lola
*3.5 stars*

I shall start by introducing you to Ebenezer Scrooge. According to the narrator, the cold-hearted, unholy and inconsiderate man we have as main character.
description
While he is described as such:

External heat and cold had little influence on Scrooge. No warmth could warm, no wintry weather chill him. No wind that blew was bitterer than he, no falling snow was more intent upon its purpose, no pelting rain less open to entreaty. Foul weather didn't know where to have him. The heaviest rain, and
Mary
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: read-aloud
It's a family tradition to read A Christmas Carol (original, unabridged) aloud each Christmas season and then to watch at least one film version on Christmas Eve (this year it was the Muppets' Christmas Carol - very authentic - with Michael Caine).

Over the years, we have discussed the 19th century slang and customs enough so that the reading is becoming smoother and smoother without much need for editorial asides. This year we focused on favorite phrases "Marley was dead, to begin with." "the
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love A Christmas Carol

I can't believe I have just NOW read this book. I have been watching the MANY movies of A Christmas Carol since I was a little kid. My favorite being the one with Albert Finney, that seemed to be the one I watched the most. I have it on dvd (maybe blu ray, I would have to look) and I have the VHS tape for a long time. Remember those? I also have The Muppet Christmas Carol and The Christmas Carol with Jim Carey. You know I think after reading this book I'm going to have to
Candi
When I think of Christmas and all those things that make Christmas so special, A Christmas Carol immediately comes to mind right along with family, friends, beautiful Christmas trees, Mom’s anise cut-out cookies, brilliant holiday light displays, gently falling snow, festive instrumental and choral concerts, midnight mass, and angel trees. A Christmas Carol truly is a timeless classic and a beloved tradition, whether you see the movie or read the book. The blessing of this treasure is that you ...more
Alejandro
The Christmas reading par excellence!

A CLASSIC RE-IMAGINED ONCE AND AGAIN

I can't tell how many times I have watched some adaptation or another of this classic story...

...Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Kermit the Frog, the Real Ghostbusters, live action films, animated TV specials, etc...

...since this is one of the most adapted stories of all time.

A truly Christmas classic.

And this one of the few books that I think one hardly can deny that it's the novel that defines a genre, in this case:

Brina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, holiday
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is the current runaway leader for a reread in the group Catching up on Classics for December. As I gear up for what looks to be some intense reading during the last two months of the year, I decided to pre read this short classic this week. Being that I do not observe the Christmas holiday and can sometimes feel overwhelmed by its presence during the last six weeks of the year, I felt that it was better for me to read Dickens' classic early so I could keep an ...more
Glenn Sumi
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: before-1900, classics

I’ve seen countless film, TV and stage adaptations of A Christmas Carol, but it wasn’t until this week that I read the actual text. Which is strange. I adore Dickens. If pressed, I’d call him one of my all-time favourite authors. But it’s a busy time of year, and when I watch the films it’s usually in a social situation.

This week I found myself with a few extra hours and finally read the novella. Wow. I’m very glad I did. Here are some thoughts:

I can see why it’s so frequently adapted and has
Robin Hobb
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers, and listeners over 8
I have to admit that, at the ripe old age of 66, I finally listened to the full text as Dickens wrote it.

It definitely deserves all the accolades it has ever deserved. I recommend it not just for graceful language, but for continued relevance to our day and age.

A Christmas Carol is a very short book, easily read or listened to in just a few hours. Even if you've experienced the story via a dozen different movie versions and spin offs, I think getting back to the original is well worth your time.
James
4+ out of 5 stars to Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, a story almost everyone is likely familiar with as early on as childhood. And we've all seen some form of this in a TV show, movie or another book, given how familiar the three ghosts of Christmas have become.

Why This Book
I honestly don't recall how I stumbled upon this book, perhaps by watching one of the movie versions as the first foray. Sacrilegious, I know. But once you see it on a TV screen, the story compels you to want to read
Annet
Having seen many movie versions of this famous book , I thought it was finally time to read the book this (time of) year and I did!
How talented Dickens was... to invent this story and write it in beautiful language. Maybe I'll reread it again by Christmas time next year, so much detail there, deserves great attention, and my good intention will be to read more Dickens in the time to come. A delightful book, a very talented writer, so long ago... A magical story, famous for its moral and 'advice
Cecily
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, classics
The Christmas classic that everyone knows – even if they haven’t read it. It's quite short, and at some levels quite an easy read, but there is plenty of depth, so I think it's worth reading it in a thoughtful and slightly leisurely way.

Plot
It is a simple tale of how a normal man turns cold-hearted and mean and how, when confronted with memories of his past and the possible outcomes of his actions and inactions, he is redeemed by making positive changes to his life and thus that of others.

Lisa
It's not the season for A Christmas Carol, I know!

And we all know it by heart too, from reading it as children with our grandparents maybe, as young adults for essays in high school, as adults to our own children. We have watched the Disney version many times, and seen it performed on stage, for decades, in December.

So why do I have to drag out my old, torn copy of my earliest traditional December Dickens in April? Because April is the cruellest month, and it made me realise how many Scrooges
Renato Magalhães Rocha
One should never judge a book by its cover, but this edition surely deserves an award for ugliest and laziest book cover ever made (should we start a contest?), which is a shame since a theme like Christmas is quite easy to illustrate and has a lot of recognizable symbols and its own emblems that could've been used to enhance this poorly conceived design. However, if all the budget available went to the translator, it was a good decision as it was beautifully done and, in the end, it's all that ...more
Bionic Jean
"Bah! Humbug!"

Who does not recognise this expostulation, and the old curmudgeon who spat it out. The very name "Scrooge" has entered the vernacular to indicate a mean-spirited skinflint.

"Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge, a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint."

And even the phrase "Merry Christmas" only became popular following the appearance of this novella.

A Christmas Carol is one of Dickens' most
Evgeny
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
One might like Christmas, or one might not; one might be a Christian, or one might not be. Anyway I do not think anybody would be arguing against the fact that this novella became practically ultimate Christmas story. For this reason I will not bother hiding spoilers in my review; if you have no clue what it is about and I spoil it for you, consider it to be my punishment for living under a rock all this time.

Grumpy Cat Christmas
Sorry, there is something irresistible about the Grumpy Cat in Christmas settings and
Carmen
Amazing. A classic for a reason.

RE-READ: 2015. I read this book every Christmas Eve. It makes me laugh, it scares me, it makes me cry. So good! And so short! :) I must admit my favorite part is the first part where Scrooge is so grumpy and miserly. And the book is so classic, filled with classic lines that are so well-known it's a pleasure to read them because they are so familiar and true.

And, once again, it's short. No trouble to get through! Merry Christmas!

Leonard Gaya
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short parable or morality tale is probably one of the most read novellas within Charles Dickens’ vast body of work, and one that truly embodies the spirit of Christmas. A short book we could all do with on these cold winter nights (here in London, they are, at least)!

I guess everyone knows the story in broad strokes: Ebenezer Scrooge, a disgusting narrow-shouldered old misanthrope and life-denying penny-pincher (the avatar of Shylock, Volpone, Harpagon and many more literary misers) is
Jessica
Possibly the best Christmas book EVER. Not only the greatest story since the original (you know, the one in the New Testament), but combined with P.J. Lynch's magnificent illustrations, this book is a gift you can open year after year!

Reread 2012: I had a sudden revelation this morning as I finished this book. It's not just the greatest Christmas book ever, but I have realized that it is probably in my Top Ten of All Time. Such a beautiful work! If anything can be a favorite part, it's the
April (Aprilius Maximus)
HOW PRECIOUS
Ujjawal Sureka

Genre: Fairy tale, Historical Fiction, Morality play.
Publication Date: December 1843

Captivating and Surreal.

- Charles Dickens catches the attention of the viewer by using vivid description of characters and situations to draw the readers attention, ' The cold within him froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose, shrivelled his cheek, stiffened his gait...', 'no wind that blew was bitterer than he...'
- His language is sort of poetic, sometimes difficult to grasp, notwithstanding very much

• Macbeth
  • The Odyssey
  • Les Misérables
  • Frankenstein
  • Little Women
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)
  • The Little Prince
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Dracula
  • Henry IV, Part 2 (Wars of the Roses, #3)
  • An Inspector Calls
Charles John Huffam Dickens was a writer and social critic who created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and short stories enjoy lasting popularity.

“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.” 5155 likes
“It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour.” 1313 likes