Start by marking “Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution” as Want to Read:
Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution

Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
mass_market, 417 pages
Published January 25th 1997 by Avon (first published December 31st 1972)

Start your review of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
Petra-X
I tried, I ate a lot of meat, I failed and I went back to my couscous and chickpeas and veggies.
The diet was developed in the 40s for uncontrolled diabetics who bodies could not handle any but a minimal amount of carbohydrate. Since carb molecules take on 4 times as much water as protein ones, water weight was lost very fast and then, since proteins are filling because they are digested very slowly, people snack less and true fat is lost, but a huge amount of cholesterol is consumed. It was
Kj
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I have been on every diet and diet pill that I could find. I can lose weight but I can't stick with it long term. I started this 6 weeks ago and i love this way of eating. I feel great and have had excellent results. I have lost 27pounds in 6 weeks. I am almost completely off of my blood pressure medicine. No inflammation and pain. I have not had one migraine when I was averaging 8-10 per month previously. This is an amazing diet. I remember eating the first week and not ...more
Lilly
Mar 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting and I lost a ton of weight when I did this, felt great, etc. Problem is that you can't give a diet book five stars or i would. He gets a horrible rap, but I was amazed to see how easy it was for people to cut the crap and trim down on it, no starvation required. Amen.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I've lost 90+ pounds since February of 2010, using the "Atkins" method specified in this book. Its been much easier than I ever could have imagined. I don't think this system is for everybody (due to the vagaries of human physiology; we're not all the same, and this program will work much better for some, than it will for others), but you should give it a try and see if its for you. It may very well have saved my life, and I felt several hundred percent better within a week of going on the ...more
Joseph Bruno
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is a book that puts you on a diet that really works. Dr. Atkins first wrote about his diet in the early 70's. I tried the diet and lost 15 pounds in the first two months. But then life took over, and being young and Italian, there was no way I was passing up bread, pasta and pizza.

Fast forward thirty five years later. My weight had ballooned up to 235 pounds, even though I was working out at the gym 5-6 days a week. I met a friend at the gym who had obviously lost
Leanne Hunt
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't have read this book except that my husband was advised by his doctor to try out the Atkins diet, and I'm glad I did. In fact, I was primed, because a well-known sports scientist had been talking about a low-carbohydrate eating plan on the radio and I had already experimented, with positive results. I just wasn't aware that Atkins and low-carb meant the same thing. So many diets do the rounds that I am generally suspicious of "named" ones, as if the mere fact that they come with books ...more
Darrel Owen
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book for finally finding a way to lose weight and keep it off. The whole high fat/high protein/low carb thing is counter-intuitive, but I promise it works.

2011/10/26 - I re-read this book again as I had gone off the diet and really need to lose about 40 pounds (I'm 6'0" and was 245 lbs). I've lost 6 lbs. in 10 days and haven't felt hungry at all. It's difficult to resist milk and bread, which I love, but I can work some of that back in once I get near my goal weight. I love that I can do
Kholsu
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Battling with my anorexia problems back in 2009... I could totally relate to this book.

I too made notes of every calorie and food type that would enter my body and the emotions I felt during the process of every mouthful. It became so extreme that it left me mentally scared even to this day and incapable of performing everyday activities. But finally, like a ray of light; I finally felt understood. All the variables such as; willpower, emotions and motivation playing major leads behind dieting;
Bookfanatic
Many people don't lose weight on high carbohydrate, low fat diets. A of people think the Atkins Diet is "all meat, all fat", but reading this book, I can see it's not about eating protein all the time. He advocates salads, vegetables, fruits and low-carb desserts. In the most protein-heavy part of the diet, the Induction period, lasting about a week, he advocates two cups of salad daily. It's actually healthier than the way most Americans eat. I would say most Americans don't eat two cups of ...more
Michelle Morrell
I do amazingly well on a low carb diet, and this book changed my life when I first read it. I used to weigh 120 pounds more than I do now, and this plan was the only thing ever that not only worked, but seemed almost effortless. His theories on insulin and metabolism and reactions to sugar mesh with my biology perfectly, and when I follow the plan I lose all cravings and my appetite disappears. Eventually, over the course of 10 years, some weight creeped back, but is (bless you Dr. Atkins), ...more
Jodi
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-books
I read the 'New Diet Revolution' book in around 2004 and for 6 months or so it really helped me and my health and also helped me lose weight.

I'm not a fan though of the idea that losing a ton of weight per week is healthy, nor that soy products or rice cheese is a health food, or that Splenda or saccharin or protein bars are health foods. I also don't agree that commercially farmed grain-fed meats and commercial diary products are health foods and found it disappointing that pasture-fed meats
Nina
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book because, although I no longer follow the diet as strictly as it requires (I stopped it when I got pregnant and never went back), it really gives you a great foundation on why it's so important to limit "bad" carbs and how to implement better eating habits. He goes into great depth about insulin and other ways that carbs effect body/health so that anyone can understand the logistics. I used to eat pasta or bread with just about every dinner because I thought it was low ...more
Elissa Washuta
Oct 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
My issue with this book was not the basic tenets of the diet--I have been on low-carb diets before and find Dr. Atkins' approach, incorporating large amounts of fat for satiety and ketosis/lipolysis, to be a reasonable one, and his explanations of the processes are good. However, by the end of the book, I could no longer stand his tone, which was worse than condescending. He spoke often of "allowed" and "permitted" foods, which is a dangerous approach for a dieter who should feel empowered to ...more
Gayle
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading Why We Get Fat and it made so much sense, this was the natural follow-up. After finishing the entire book I began following Atkins (or as close as I could) and in all honesty have never felt better in my life. I can only assume all those carbs were wearing me down.

Really, really good! Read the kindle version but definitely will be picking up a paperback so I can have a hard copy to refer back to.

Today begins week four . . .
LaTonya
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I read it many years ago and it was one of the first diets I tried that actually works. I love how Dr. Atkins explains the science behind why the diet works and I love how he gives actual case studies of his patients. This is the diet that I always come back to because it works and one day hopefully I can make it my permanent way of eating, as that is the point of Atkins, meaning, it's not a "diet", but the way that you eat for life.
Tamahome
Just reading it to see 'what the horse's mouth' actually said. I don't know if the 'induction phase' of 20 g carbs a day is necessary (or safe). Maybe the 2nd phase is useful. But I think any diet that keeps your blood sugar lower has merit. And some high fiber foods have a high glycemic index, like whole wheat breads and cereals:

I like Tom Naughton's diet in 'Fat Head' on Hulu. 100 g of carb a day, nothing but McDonald's. He just had double whoppers and
Stacie
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-helpish
The Atkins approach is the only thing that has ever really worked for me and the only thing that has ever made any sense for how my body functions. Hard to believe people still think they "know" what Atkins is (only bacon and butter! bad for your kidneys!) when they have never even read the book...

Would recommend this to anyone needing to lose weight or just wanting to feel more alert and alive every day. It might not work for everyone's body type but it certainly works for mine!

The Badger
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm glad I borrowed this and didn't spend money on it. At the time, I had no idea what Atkins was about, but a little reading made me realize that; a) you may as well mainline pure grease into your body; and b) vegans can't do it.
Maddie
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 'secret' to achieving and maintaining weightloss. This way of eating is the most pain-free method of losing weight. Read this without pre-conceived ideas. I am recommending this to anyone who expresses the wish to lose weight!
notgettingenough
It's a shocker. Really.
Charlene Gordon
Aug 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
No way I could eat like this without getting sick. Tried this in 2003.
Case
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pcos, fertility, diabetes, diet
Great book. If you're thinking about doing keto, I'd read this book first as it will give you a good set of underpinnings for how to execute and monitor your progress, as well as how to get off the diet without regaining everything.

This book is old: It's last published edition was 2002. Unfortunately Dr. Atkins died in 2003, so we'll never get an update. A few of the science things in it are no longer considered to be best practice, but if you read Fung's Diabetes Code or Obesity Code you'll
Jessie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned about a healthy low carb program. During induction, only 20grams per day. Induction is intended to reset metabolism. Personally, I benefit from this diet, even though I don't need to lose weight, I do need to eat low carb, as I have carb intolerance.

Many people testify to the benefits of this program, although it is not for everyone. After all, not everybody needs to curb carbohydrate consumption, only some of us.

Anyhow, this is an excellent reference with loads of easy to understand
Abu Dhabi
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read the 1992 edition, Polish translation.

Overall, dr Atkins gets one point right, and that is the carbohydrate restriction. When he talks about it, he refers to available scientific literature that supports it. Other things - not so much. I find his anti-cholesterol stance to be outdated, his opinion on seed oils to be uninformed, and his candida proliferation hypothesis to be weak.

Still, the book is readable, not very long, and gives adequate advice for someone on a standard western diet. Dr
Erika
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good starting point for looking into the low carb lifestyle, and a few interesting recipes. Also, it was neat to see how ahead of his time he was in his thinking about the benefits of low carb, even if the science at the time was a bit rough.
Saleh AlTassan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great guide if you are seroius to conduct an Atkin's diet.
Krzysztof
Helped me lose 50 lbs.
Marko
Apr 21, 2019 added it
Shelves: 21l-cookbooks
I have the german and the english edition.
Robert Beveridge
Robert Atkins, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (Quill, 2002)

Well, you can't beat the Atkins Diet for sheer number of coverts. Millions of people are following the Atkins Nutritional Plan, and all of them seem to be losing weight. The only "official" bureau to have come out against it has been exposed as a lunatic fringe of militant vegan doctors, and once again all is right with the world. Or is it?

I'm not going to deny that the book is accurate in its claims of helping people lose weight. It
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • Miracle on the 17th Green (Travis McKinley, #1)
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • The South Beach Diet
  • Alcoholics Anonymous
  • The Holdout
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Lowriders Blast from the Past
  • Way of the Warrior Kid: From Wimpy to Warrior the Navy SEAL Way: A Novel (Way of the Warrior Kid, #1)
Robert Coleman Atkins, MD was an American physician and cardiologist, best known for the Atkins Nutritional Approach (or "Atkins Diet"), a popular but controversial way of dieting that entails eating low-carbohydrate and high-protein foods, in addition to leaf vegetables and dietary supplements.

News & Interviews

“THE POWER OF FIVE
These portions contain roughly 5 grams of carbohydrates. Food groups are arranged in the general order in which they should be added.
Vegetables
3/4 cup cooked spinach 1/2 cup red peppers 1 medium tomato 2/3 cup cooked broccoli 8 medium asparagus 1 cup cauliflower 1/3 cup chopped onions 1/2 California avocado 2/3 cup summer squash
Dairy
5 ounces farmer's cheese or pot cheese 5 ounces mozzarella cheese 1/2 cup cottage cheese 2/3 cup ricotta cheese 1/2 cup heavy cream
Nuts and Seeds
1 ounce of: macadamias (approximately ten to twelve nuts) walnuts (approximately fourteen halves) almonds (approximately twenty-four nuts) pecans (approximately thirty-one nuts) hulled sunflower seeds (three tablespoons) roasted shelled peanuts (approximately twenty-six nuts) 1/2 ounce of cashews (approximately nine nuts)
Fruits
1/4 cup blueberries 1/4 cup raspberries 1/2 cup strawberries 1/4 cup cantaloupe, honeydew
Juices
1/4 cup lemon juice 1/4 cup lime juice 1/2 cup tomato juice
Convenience Foods
You can select from the variety of convenience foods (bars and shakes are the two most available), but be sure to determine the actual number of digestible carbohydrate in any particular product (see Chapter 8, page 68).”
1 likes
“Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.
2. Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as of pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).
3. Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three cups-loosely packed-of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see the list of acceptable vegetables on page 110).
4. Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time.
5. Eat nothing that is not on the acceptable foods list. And that means absolutely nothing! Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.
6. Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied but not stuffed. When not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements.
7. Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate-instead read labels! Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use the carbohydrate gram counter in this book.
8. Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.
9. Avoid foods or drinks sweetened with aspartame. Instead, use sucralose or saccharin. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs.
10. Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.
11. Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.
12. If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables.”
1 likes