Start by marking “Boaz Brown (Boaz Brown, #1)” as Want to Read:
Boaz Brown (Boaz Brown, #1)

Boaz Brown

(Boaz Brown #1)

Smart-talking LeShondra Smith and her girlfriends all face the same relationship issue - where to find a good man. They yearn to meet a strong, confident man who loves God, just like Boaz in the Bible. The problem is that they don't just want a godly man, they want a godly black man. Enter Stetson Brown, a handsome engineer and faithful man of God who matches LaShondra's w ...more
Published June 30th 2004 by Walk Worthy Press

To ask other readers questions about Boaz Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boaz Brown

Start your review of Boaz Brown (Boaz Brown, #1)
Kathryn
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone high-school age and older
I read the whole book, straight through, last night. I think the genre is tagged something like "African American Women/Christian Fiction," but I think everyone--regardless of gender or race--needs to read it.

Let me preface this by saying, I am a white woman who was raised in Wisconsin, and moved to Dallas, TX twenty years ago. A lot of the racial issues I discovered when I moved to Texas were mind boggling to me. I knew about slavery, the Jim Crow laws, and segregation from an academic/historic
Eugenie
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great read. This story caused me to search within, to carry out a clinical self evaluation. It reminded me that God's love is colour-blind and that that is the standard we should all emulate, or at the very least aspire to.
Jamie Rose
May 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't think there's any spoilers, there is swearing and exclamation marks. Which I try to avoid in reviews but this book deserves every!!!! f,c,s and t word at my disposal. I read a lot and I'm quite hard to offend. But this? Wow.

Maybe it's an American thing. Reading this as an English person and maybe I'm just misunderstanding some American cultural issues, but maybe not because strangely enough, this is not the first book I've read by an American author...

This doesn't truly deserve a star but
MsGabriel
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
As a black (non American) young woman, I could not identify with this book, which in turn influenced my rating. The dialogue seemed false to me (my uncle is a devout Christian and even he doesn't speak as though he's preaching). And other than the taught racism and previous dabble with premarital sex (we are told), LaShondra, the main character, is practically a saint. She seems like the church girl nobody wants to hang out with: loud, opinionated and judgemental. Trust me, coming from another ' ...more
Raelee Carpenter
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brave Christian romance that entertains while it explores some hard issues.
Jazalyn
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019plan
I don't know what to say about this book. I was unprepared for the direction of the book..i guess i didn't read the description closely enough. I enjoyed most of the dialogue, could relate to 70% of the conversations. Stelson is a bit overly optimistic about the relationship, but of course privilege will let you ignore some things in society, which Lashondra tries to explain, bur i don't think he got it. I have personal opinions about racism vs prejudice that interfere with agreeing with how the ...more
Connie
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book really touched me and helped me to confront some of the prejudices that I still harbor albeit subconsciously for the most part. I think that I may not care about I/R couples, but sometimes the things that I have been taught and confronted with do drive my actions, but for the Lord He can help me overcome this issue. Of course the plot and ending are predictable, but the way that LaShondra handled it and allowed it to change her and her walk with the Lord was not. I guess for me that he ...more
Crystal  Burns
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got this book in the mail today and finished it,today. I loved it!!!!!
Anino
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, unexpected twists....
Lulu
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Christian fiction isn't for me. There was more preaching than plot.
Sheryl Boyce
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It was kinda a slow read for me. The character LaShondra was raised with prejudice toward the white race but never faced that that was what her father had done until God brought her boaz into her life; who was white. Through the love of Christ, she learned to view the white race without color. Read the book to see how her new take on white people caused her to receive her gift from God
Pygmy
SassyMama
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Waiting For A Word...

This a wonderfully, inspiring debut novel. WOW, what a refreshing read! I loved how this author attacked racism in such a tactful way. When I finished this book I had to take a deep look at myself, and the many prejudices that I have in my life on various levels. I found it difficult to read this novel, because I found so much of myself throughout these pages and no one enjoys having all their flaws smack them in the face like that.~~~~~~~This book is great and I loved the m
Deb
lashondra always thought that her "boaz" (the perfect man who would be like boaz was to ruth) would definately have to be african american. she just isn't attracted to white guys and in fact has a bit of an attitude against white people in general. but throughout the course of this book the reader gets to watch as the lord works on her heart in some pretty amazing ways--the most amazing being stelson brown, the white engineer who through his perservence manages to win her heart. along the way sh ...more
Rece
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asbo
I absolutely loved this book. First things first, Lashondra is so realistic. As a 31 yr old Black female, there was so much to relate to. From her views of race, her goals of strengthening her relationship with Christ as well as her insecurities. Her relationship with her family and friends was also hitting close to home.

This book was well written, the characters were familiar and well developed. I couldn't put it down. I found myself doing much needed self reflection after reading this. I too
Lisa Blair
A black assisstant principle struggles with prejudice against white people and Mexicans. This book deals with black/white relations. Inner thoughts of a Christian black woman. Past traumas of the black people in light of the Cross. Inter-racial marriage. Bi-racial children. Gender thought proccesses.

"I was bifacial, I knew: one face for white people and one for blacks."

"It was never about black or white. It was about my relationship with Christ. Chould I relinquish my definition of myself - firs
Adrienne Thompson
Boy, oh boy! This book right here? All I can say is that once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down. It was very well-written with characters that leaped off of the pages. I truly hated for it to end. Ms. Stimpson used her gift to teach so many lessons through this story. All I can do is sigh. The book is just that good! If you haven't read part two, you better jump on it! I actually read the books out of order, but I honestly think that added to my joy of reading them. If you haven't ...more
Barbara Young
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LaShondra father was consumed with race and discrimination and prejudice and he instilled this in his children.
This book is about what we see going on in the world today.
But we as African American would never forget where we came from or our heritage, but something's has changed since then. So LaShondra has met Stelson but she always remember what she grew up learning about white people, so she wasn't sure about letting people know because of his color .
She prayed about it and her brother Johnat
Ally
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ooo-oop!

Don't know why I was introduced to this book sooner but keeping with the book, God sent to me right on time!
Loved this book! It's amazing how this didn't seem like fiction to me because I know people who think exactly like LaShondra and her family. I loved how Stelson didn't try to put down her beliefs but instead showed her a different way of thinking. To think with a Christian mindset and not put even her race above the will of God and serving him. Looking forward to reading book 2!
Vera Davis
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boaz Brown

Love this book it made you take a look at yourself. Are we showing God's love to all His saints or just a select group. LaShronda had to take a good look at herself and if she asked God for a saintly man she realized she had to be ready to receive him no matter what color he was. This was hard due to the way her family and friends felt about interracial relations. However, God is able to do exceedingly above all we can think and ask. Following God is the requirement. Great love story.
Ida Wilcox
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has taken me years to read not because it was boring and not good because I was just a little lazy.

I finally got to read it and ooo my goodness what a good read.

It was like the main character was acting out my life.

Really enjoyed this one. It had some good lessons in it as well. Dont look at the outward appearance look at the heart. Because if you always look at the outward appearance you may miss out on a good thing.
Dawn L. Hardman
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This great read gave so much insight about how praying for a great husband, a Boaz can lead you down unexpected paths. It just shows how you’ll never know how God will work in your life no matter how you were raised. I won’t give away what happened in the book but the point is if you want God to move on your behalf, you have to be open and realize change is constant and forever.
The Modern Bookzilla
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This story took a big African American community taboo that is interracial dating and BODIED every aspect of it, breaking it down brick by brick until it is exposed like an open sore.

Read the rest of my review at:
TheModernBookzilla.com
Keshia Woodous
Weelll

It was just okay for me. I was not feeling it in the beginning but as the story went on, it was better. So.e of the conversations were contrived and not believable. However, the message of Godly love did show through. It was the saving grace of the whole book. I may read the sequel out of curiosity but I'm not in a hurry.
Penelope Hughes
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. I am hooked on the content and the way their relationship unfolded. I am ready to read the second book in the series and Find out what happens with LaShondra and her new Fiance Stelson!!
beverly white
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely Book

This book held my attention to the end. I am about to continue reading the next one “No Weapon/book two”. The Christian sections throughout the book holds a strong part of life today.
Lakeisha Rauls
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

I loved this book! It opened my eyes to some similar issues and struggles I have faced in my life. I was able to relate to and compare the characters to many people in my life. I feel like any female waiting on their “Boaz” should read this book. I can’t wait to read part 2!
Tonetta Bullard
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God's love

This is a very poignant and eye opening look at racism from a Christian Africa. American perspective. LaShondra took me on a journey of faith that definitely delivered me.
Mattie Patterson
Loved. This love story
Carol Hornsby-mccoy
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very nicely done. Never say never ladies. You never know what God may lead your way. Stay open minded, but more so, stay connected to Christ.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Singing in the Comeback Choir
  • Around the Way Girl
  • Changing Faces
  • The Perfect Mistress
  • No Holds Barred (In the Heart of a Valentine, #1)
  • Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made
  • When The Night's Over
  • Bring on the Blessings (Blessings, #1)
  • Another Sad Love Song
  • A Deadly Inside Scoop (An Ice Cream Parlor Mystery #1)
  • The Getaway
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • Kale is a Four Letter Word
Michelle Stimpson is the national bestselling author of more than 30 books and 50 short stories. Her works include Boaz Brown, Divas of Damascus Road (National Bestseller), and the award-winning Mama B series.

Boaz Brown (2 books)
  • No Weapon Formed (Boaz Brown, #2)