Start by marking “The Book Thief” as Want to Read:
The Book Thief

The Book Thief

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  1,366,343 Ratings  ·  96,285 Reviews
Winner of the 2007 BookBrowse Ruby Award.

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery ...

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scra
Published March 14th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Book Thief, please sign up.

Jason Röhde If in 2009 you saw a 40-year old man in suit and tie with tears streaming down his face on 7:28am train from Elmhurst to Chicago one summer…moreIf in 2009 you saw a 40-year old man in suit and tie with tears streaming down his face on 7:28am train from Elmhurst to Chicago one summer morning...that was me. I had to wait until the train was clear before I could compose myself and leave.(less)
Wordless Rebel, We live the dreams of others The sky is dark blue fading into light blue, with weightless cotton fluffs floating listlessly, and a golden flower, centre staged, in full bloom,…moreThe sky is dark blue fading into light blue, with weightless cotton fluffs floating listlessly, and a golden flower, centre staged, in full bloom, gracing all with its light, caressing each with a warm embrace... (less)

Sophia.
THE BOOK THIEF: A Summary.

Liesel: Hi, I'm Liesel. I have no personality, but I'm a cute little girl.

Death: Her name is not Liesel. Her name is THE BOOK THIEF and I shall name her that for the rest of the book.

Liesel: Even though I stole, like, 3 books in total or something.

Death: Shut up, Book Thief.

Rudy: Hello everyone. Have you ever seen a lemon? That's what my hair looks like.

Death: Here is a little information you should know: this books is filled with many interesting facts. Very releva
La Petite Américaine
Jul 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: This is such a piece of steaming dog shit that I'd recommend it only to people I REALLY hate.
Colleen
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who want a fresh angle on the Holocaust.
I put off reading this book for the library book club. Here are my three reasons for doing so:

1) It's a Young Adult Book. I am an Adult. It can't be that good if it's written for young people.
2) It's about the Holocaust, and I think we've all heard enough about that. The author will probably even focus on colors among the grays, as in "Schindler's List."
3) I have WAY too many other books to read.

After avoiding the book for as long as possible, I sat down, hoping to enjoy it enough to gain some c
Tamara
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I give this 5 stars, BUT there is a disclaimer: If you want a fast read, this book is not for you. If you only like happy endings this book is not for you. If you don't like experimental fiction, this book is not for you.

If you love to read and if you love to care about the characters you read about and if you love to eat words like they're ice cream and if you love to have your heart broken and mended on the same page, this book is for you.

This story is narrated by Death during World War II,
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Video review can be found here: https://youtu.be/rzEHcw769xg

It's going to take awhile for this book to fully sink in, but overall this was a masterpiece.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a book to treasure, a new classic. I absolutely loved it.

Set in Germany in the years 1939-1943, The Book Thief tells the story of Liesel, narrated by Death who has in his possession the book she wrote about these years. So, in a way, they are both book thieves. Liesel steals randomly at first, and later more methodically, but she's never greedy. Death pockets Liesel's notebook after she leaves it, forgotten in her grief, amongst the destruction that was once her street, her home, and car
softlykaz
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018

I feel like I was just given a history lesson but in the most emotionally damaging way possible
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
“When death captures me,” the boy vowed, “he will feel my fist on his face.”
Personally, I quite like that. Such stupid gallantry.
I like that a lot.

A few days ago, when I was starting The Book Thief, my mother stopped by and saw the book on my coffee table. Having just read it herself (and knowing me better than anyone else in the world, I might add), she was determined to save me from myself. She did her very best to convince me not to read it. She described in detail the three day long head
Zoë
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read during my holiday 24-hour readathon, #readathonbyzoe! Watch the vlog here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLPp...
Kat Kennedy
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People into self-flagellation
Just to clarify: Yes, I did cry.

I've read a lot of positive and negative reviews for this book. I can see why people wouldn't like it - I really can. Perhaps because I took a lot out of it personally, I found I enjoyed it a lot.

Quick test to see if you'll like this book:

1. Did you like Anne of Green Gables?
2. Can you cope with an off-beat, melancholy, caustic, dead-pan, self-righteous narrator?
3. Do you like words?
(Questions 4-8 were all about what kind of underwear you're wearing so don't worry
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Book Thief - *SPOILERS* 79 464 19 minutes ago
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Book Thief - pre-read 87 554 3 hours, 31 min ago
YA Book Cafe : The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 1 2 Jan 18, 2018 01:39PM
Why was Rudy's death essential ? 7 143 Jan 15, 2018 04:03PM
Read 1 3 Jan 09, 2018 10:11PM
BookTube 2018!: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 33 310 Jan 07, 2018 05:21PM
Lizzie Ahlborn Historical Fiction 2 6 Jan 06, 2018 04:02PM
  • Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1)
  • Chains (Seeds of America, #1)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
  • A Northern Light
  • UnDivided (Unwind, #4)
  • The Ghosts of Ashbury High (Ashbury/Brookfield, #4)
  • On the Jellicoe Road
  • The Red Necklace (French Revolution, #1)
  • The Kingdom on the Waves (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, #2)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile (The Montmaray Journals, #2)
  • Last Days of Summer
  • Annexed
  • As Long As I Have You (Children of the Promise, #5)
  • The Power of One (The Power of One, #1)
  • Uprising
  • Tamar
Markus Zusak was born in 1975 and is the author of five books, including the international bestseller, The Book Thief , which is translated into more than forty languages. First released in 2005, The Book Thief has spent more than a decade on the New York Times bestseller list, and still remains there to this day.

His first three books, The Underdog, Fighting Ruben Wolfe and When Dogs Cry (al
More about Markus Zusak...
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.” 9962 likes
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” 8434 likes