Start by marking “Steel Tiger (Wings of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Steel Tiger (Wings of War, #2)

Steel Tiger (Wings of War #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  378 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Vietnam, 1967. America's most daring fighter pilots faced their greatest challenge in a desperate war. Now on his second tour, Major Court Bannister is hunted by a new, more determined breed of enemy and haunted by his brother's shocking act of treason. Captain Toby Parker fights a personal battle against alcohol, while flying on the edge of disaster, and Lieutenant Colone ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by iBooks (first published May 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Steel Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel Tiger

Henry Brown
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Berent must mix crack in with his prose.

From available information, it would seem that Mark Berent was a good pilot in Vietnam. While I wasn’t there, hence can’t confirm or deny, I can confirm that he is a great storyteller. Tom Clancy said Berent spun yarns of “good men in a bad war” and that sums up Wings of War quite well. His three primary characters work within the idiotic constraints they are saddled with, and pursue a victory that is forbidden by Washington.

The author interprets the jargo
Jim A
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book two of the five book series featuring Court Bannister as a Vietnam war fighter pilot.

The problem is I know there are another three books after this one and therefore there is absolutely no suspense to air combat sequences. Although they are well written, he was there, they do get to be a bit repetitious over the course of the book.

The end of the book leaves no doubt that there will be a sequel, something important 20 years ago when it was written. I generally really don't like books that l
Doug Meyn
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Agree with one reviewer about too many threads left hanging at the end, but for pure page-turning entertainment this one is a winner. Detailed information in some parts of the book get a bit tedious, but overall a very good read.
Benjo
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best air novels I've read and one of the best ones about Vietnam. Although it is critical of the American policy and conduct during the war it was able to tell the about horrors, rejections, bravery and valor of the men and women who served there.
Stephanie Pieck
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
The gripping tale of fighter pilots and Special Forces men in Southeast Asia in the late 1960s continues in this second novel. We follow the characters made so vividly familiar in "Rolling Thunder," and also meet new ones, including a brilliant Russian fighter pilot. Not content to simply train his North Vietnamese student pilots, this man defies orders and embarks on daring attack missions.
The author's firsthand knowledge of Air Force and military material is impressive and authentic. His insig
Charles  van Buren
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
outstanding

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: STEEL TIGER: An Historical Novel of War and Politics (Wings of War Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

This is both outstanding history & good fiction. It covers the incredibly venal & foolish actons of Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, & company as well as the plight of the thousands of young Americans caught up in their machinations. Most of the action concentrates on the activities of the air & Special Forces campaigns. I've kn
Toni Mari
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illuminating.

Action packed scenes had me on the edge of my seat although I admit to skipping over some of the detail loaded descriptions.
Scott
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I originally picked up this book because a) it had F-4's and KC-135's on the cover and b) it was $0.50 at the local Goodwill store. I started reading it while waiting on my wife to finish her shopping. The opening sequence is in a MiG-21 piloted by a Soviet military "adviser" over Hanoi in the thick of the Vietnam War in 1967. That set the hook. The book went home with me and was my constant companion until I completed it.

I had never heard of the author, Mark Berent, or his collection of stories
Jetdrvr
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent entry in the series, with more to come. Berent captures the air war and the politics, both civilian and military, of the era in a classic fashion, which should be of great interest to anyone studying the air war in Vietnam. Although it is presented as fiction, and much of it is, much of it is also hard and brutal fact.

I hate this website. I finished it days ago and am now reading Eagle Station but can't for the life of me locate the field to change the title from being read to finished
Ed Schmidt
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book two in a series called Rolling Thunder, Court Bannister washes himself out of any chance to get into astronaut training because he decided he wants to go back to SEA again and become the first ACE of the war. During one of his flights, he encounters a MIG pilot that appears to be a Russian. It then becomes almost an obsession to shoot down this pilot. He finds himself shot down and dug in hoping someone will rescue him.
James Morrissey
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another GREAT book

another great job by Mark Berent our characters continue on in the their lives and careers during a very difficult time in the United States. Mark did it again and hit another one out of the park.
Peter
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: miltary
Too long too slow.
William B.
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too good! Phantom Leader Is Next

Another great book by Mrk Berent. When I we in Vietnam. I didn't realize so many interesting things were happening
Ed Heiss
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fine Book

A great read. Accurate. Detailed without a lot of jargon. Well written and involving. I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

donmccloud64yahoo.com
Dec 18, 2012
Robert Callaham
Sep 25, 2014
Mark Berent
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
kelly jackson
Jan 21, 2015
Walt Lynch
Apr 30, 2012
  • Thud Ridge: F-105 Thunderchief missions over Vietnam
  • Storming Heaven
  • Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds
  • The Warbirds (Jack Locke, #1)
  • Da Nang Diary: A Forward Air Controller's Gunsight View of Flying with SOG
  • When Thunder Rolled: An F-105 Pilot over North Vietnam
  • Cat and Mouse (Nathan Dixon, #5)
  • Day of Wrath
  • Seal Team One
  • Surviving Hell: A POW's Journey
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Assassin (Kirk McGarvey #6)
source: BN Nook Store

Meet the Author

MARK BERENT

Lt Col Mark E. Berent, USAF (Ret), was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He graduated from Cretin High
School and attended St. Thomas College in St. Paul, Minnesota. Later he graduated from Arizona State University under the Air Force Institute of Technology program with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Lt Col Berent began his Air
More about Mark Berent...

Wings of War (5 books)
  • Rolling Thunder (Wings of War, #1)
  • Phantom Leader (Wings of War, #3)
  • Eagle Station (Wings of War, #4)
  • Storm Flight (Wings of War, #5)

“He loved the rain and the raw energy of crashing storms. I'm going to die in the rain. Too much has happened to me in the rain. I'm going to die in the rain.” 0 likes
“He stood, looking out for a few seconds at the darkness that was Arlington Cemetery. He knew every man sleeping there, and in the hundreds of tended cemeteries and lost graves of American soldiers throughout the world. These men slept knowing before they died they could trust their leaders. He turned to face the Chairman.” 0 likes