Start by marking “Most Truly (Love at Pemberley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Most Truly (Love at Pemberley, #1)

Most Truly (Love at Pemberley #1)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Colonel James Fitzwilliam is home. The war has left him weary, battle-scarred—and a free man of fortune ready to find a wife. He travels to Pemberley, his second home. There he meets Kitty Bennet. Her unexpected charms soon have him questioning his familial duty and his expectations. A fight looms on the horizon when his aunt—Lady Catherine de Bourgh—and his parents arrive ...more
Published December 15th 2013 (first published November 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Most Truly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Most Truly

Barb
I can honestly say that I am not a big fan of books about the side characters from Jane Austen books. Usually, I find little of interest about Kitty, etal. This short story was definitely a wake up for me on how lovely a story can be about side characters.

Since the book is short, so will be the review. This is a love story about Kitty and Colonel Fitzwilliam.

However, here is why I have given this story 5 stars: In a very short and sweet story, we see amazing character development by this author
J. W. Garrett
The heart wants what the heart wants:

This was a quick read and featured Kitty Bennet. More and more JAFF variations are featuring the secondary and tertiary characters of our beloved P&P. This was the first of four books and was a free offering. It is my honest review.

Kitty Bennet is a changed person. She has endured the upheaval from the disastrous elopement and marriage of her younger sister. She has seen firsthand how this misstep affected the family and their very respectability. Kitty
Sheila Majczan
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I have always liked Colonel Fitzwilliam in both P&P and in variations and/or sequels. I have also wished for someone for him to love; someone who can also charm him as Elizabeth seemed to do in canon. But we all know how he openly explained to Miss Elizabeth how his status as a younger brother to the heir forced him to consider only a person with a substanial dowry for a wife. Now he is home from war, with diminished eyesight, but also with a wish to find a wife AND with some spoils of war t ...more
Erin
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

It is a truth universally acknowledged that once one has fallen for Pride and Prejudice, one will be inexplicably drawn to spin-offs and re-tellings of Jane Austen's classic and I am no exception. Every so often I'll find a title with just enough promise to tempt my interest and away I'll go. Such was the case with Reina M. Williams' Most Truly.

What I liked most about the piece is that Williams did not try emulate Austen to
Erika
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jane-austen
I thought it was a very sweet novella. I have had differing views on what to expect from Kitty Bennet, some where she follows her mother and Lydia's example, but lots where I am glad where she takes after Jane and Elizabeth.

This was very quaint and relaxed with little to no angst, which I like from time to time. I thought it was going to be a little short, though after reading it, I realized that it was concise and to the point rather than drawn out and lengthened.

Any lover of JA and P&P wil
Teresita
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet

I loved the idea and the execution of it.

Very entertaining and nice. And we get an extra Fitzwilliam brother, there are never enough of them.
Kim
The thing I like best about novellas is that they are typically quick, fun reads that don’t take up much time, but offer a lot of fun in return. When I first mused reading Most Truly by Reina M. Williams, I was intrigued as it seemed to have all of these good characteristics of a novella and was a Pride and Prejudice sequel to boot. Additionally, although this isn’t the first time I’ve read something that featured Kitty (I’ve also read Maria Grace’s Twelfth Night At Longbourn), it is always a tr ...more
Carole (in Canada)
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: JAFF
I always love sequels to P&P that deal with the secondary characters, especially the other Bennet sisters. So when I saw this come up as free on my wishlist, I jumped at it. I was greatly anticipating Kitty's story and to pair her with Colonel Fitzwilliam was definitely interesting. As it is a short novella, I read it in one sitting. There is great potential in the story but, unfortunately for me, it was a bit choppy and at times repetitive. The story also includes Anne de Bourgh and the Col ...more
Sandra
Very sweetly written. And, yes, his name should be Richard, not James.
Kristin Davison
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: austen, read-2015
18/7/15 - 4 stars
21/12/16 -3 stars

This is a sweet little novella that charts Kitty Bennet's life after p&p. This read better the first time around and so I've taken away a star.
Els
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is a short story and the story of Kitty Bennet an colonel James Fitzwilliam.

It is a sweet, charming story.
Heather
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kitty Bennet, once the most petulant of her sisters, has found peace and happiness after Lizzy's marriage to Darcy. Spending time with Jane, Lizzy, and Georgiana grounds and matures her, and she's ashamed of her whining and crying in the past. When Col Fitzwilliam arrives at Pemberley, battle-scarred and weary but just as handsome as ever, she's determined not to lose her head over a redcoat. But Col Fitzwilliam is captivated by the sweet girl.

This was a quick read at 160 pages, an enjoyable way
Marlene
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most Truly, first in the Love at Pemberley series by Reina M. Williams, is a clean Regency romance novella. The start of this series of sequels to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice seems plausible, and I look forward to reading the rest.

This is the story of Kitty Bennet and Colonel Fitzwilliam. Kitty is the second youngest sister of Elizabeth Darcy, formerly Elizabeth Bennet. Kitty is embarrassed by her prior behavior as a teen, chasing after redcoats of England's militia. Since then, she's be
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Have you ever wondered what happened after Pride and Prejudice ended?

I must confess that reading Most Truly was my first venture in to reading a story that followed the beloved characters of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Furthermore, Kitty and Colonel Fitzwiliam aren’t characters that I spent a lot of time thinking about after reading Pride and Prejudice. However, after reading the blurb for Most Truly, my interest was piqued. I found myself wondering if Kitty found happiness like her older
Marcie
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts on the audio:
Kate Sample did a pretty good job. She has a pleasant voice. My only problem with her reading is that she read each sentence with the same cadence or inflections as the previous sentence. I could predict with accuracy when the lilt of her voice would change. This was only a minor problem. I suspect the more experience she gets as a narrator the better she'll become and this issue will clear itself up.

My thoughts on the story:
Do you remember Kitty Bennett? She's one of
Margaret
It was only a couple years ago that I finally read Pride and Prejudice, and I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed it. Of course with any book that I enjoy there is always that little bit of disappointment in finishing it because you've bonded with the characters and just want to know what happens.

Most Truly continues with that story, coming in at 88 pages in length (less than 3 hours for the audio). This novella isn't long but its concise and to the point. There isn't a lot of extra 'fluff'
booksthrubifocals
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Could have been part of Jane Austen's original p and p

In this novelette, Williams writes well but formally and much in the style of Austen. Her characters are pretty much all very moral and upright with the exception of the ever irascible Aunt Catherine de Bourg. Kitty, one of Lizzie's younger sisters and once quite moody and silly, is growing up and determined to turn over a new leaf to become a woman of virtue, sense and a faithful friend. sister and daughter. While training in this serious tr
Nadine Keels
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I took the plunge.

I've never been easy with the idea of late sequels to classics, not written by a classic's original author. But I gave this little romance a go, and it was a quick, pleasant read.

I liked the inclusion of Kitty's uncertainty about how to carry out her own new attitude, though the number of mentions concerning her getting past her former silliness did become redundant. And, as Alfred, Lord Tennyson praised Jane Austen for being "a great artist," saying, "Miss Austen understood th
Mystica
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Book One in the Love at Pemberley series, I won all three books from the author herself.

Colonel James Fitzwilliam has returned home after the war. He is lonely and knows that he should now settle down at home. His parents and Lady Catherine have ideas in this field and hope that a match will materialise between Anne and himself. He himself has no feelings other than that of a brother towards Anne. His own brother Alfred however has feelings for Anne but they do know that a battle would commence
Maria
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I do not consider myself to be a Jane Austen purist but perhaps I am. Jane Austen is my favorite author and I re-read her works every day—a chapter before I turn out the lights every night— as well as critical analyses and scholarly studies on her work. I have no desire to read spinoffs of her novels, but I can certainly appreciate and understand how she continues to influence, inspire, and entertain over 200 years after her death; in fact, she’s the reason I read historical romance.

Pride and Pr
Susanne
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet novella telling the story of the romance between Colonel Fitzwilliam and Kitty Bennet, the latter of whom has greatly improved under her elder sisters' care since their weddings. Of course, now the Darcy is no longer available for Anne, Lady Catherine is determined that Colonel Fitzwilliam is the next likely victim, I mean, husband for her daughter. Little does the great lady know that both Anne and the Colonel have given their hearts to others...and not to each other.

A delightful and e
Daph L
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up. This was a cute sequel to Pride and Prejudice. I seem to be reading a lot of those books these days. This one in particular was short and sweet as could be. However, I thought Kitty's transformation from silly girl, soldier-chaser to intelligent and sweet, mature husband-pleaser happened altogether too abruptly. The writer made her into a Lizzy Bennet (Darcy) clone, or so it seemed to me. I liked the twist with Anne and Alfred. It was my favorite part of the book actually. I am g ...more
Carole Rae
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
**I loved it. :) I really need to read more by this author. At first I was unsure if I would like James and Kitty together. I am still on the fence, because I am a James and Mary fan, but I totally seeing it working out well too. The author does have a great writing voice! I do wish there was more verbal fighting over the "ill match" between James and Kitty. But I am a sucker for drama. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 4 stars.

B and I did a joint review for this book, click the link below:
Blodeuedd Finland
I read Georgiana's book and when I saw that Kitty's book was first I wanted to read it too.

I always liked Kitty and I wanted her to get a HEA. Sure she was a silly thing with Lydia. But without that influence she got better, and became friends with Georgiana.

And in this story she meets colonel Fitzwilliam, likes him, but does not wanna make a fool of herself or believe he would have her. Aww it was sweet, he really liked her too and there is of course a HEA.
Alex Criddle
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, sincere Pride and Prejudice variation novella. This continuation of several beloved characters is well-written and full of charm. Kitty and Colonel Fitzwilliam are endearing protagonists. I believe fans of Pride and Prejudice will not be disappointed. Hooray for authors who are willing to explore uncharted territories and who keep some of our favorite characters alive through retellings and extensions of classic masterpieces.
Teresa
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really well thought out P&P sequel. The characters all were recognizable as written by Miss Austen, and the plot was realistic if a little insta-loveish. All in all a pleasant way to catch up on 2 of my favorite H & h and revisit the amazing world of the amazing Miss Asten. Already purchased the rest of the series.
Amanda Waley
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Worthy of Jane Austen!

There are several scenes I read that made me laugh, but the time I laughed loudest was near the end with what happened to Lady Catherine that made her leave Pemberley. I was glad to see how Kitty Bennett changed as she got older. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Jessica McBrayer
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book falls in line with Austen perfectly and will not let you down. Beautifully written and with just enough room for a series. The characters are vibrant and loving. The perfect romance to snuggle up in front of a fire with this winter. Kitty and Col. Fitzwilliam will most truly capture your hearts.
Katherine
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great short story of the love story between Kitty Bennet and Colonel James Fitzwilliam. I love Kitty's character - she is attempting to temper her enthusiasm and be a lady like her sister Elizabeth versus her flirtatious sister Lydia. The novel is written from both Kitty and the Colonels perspective so we hear the feelings developing and fought against. Even Anne gets a happy ending!
Eileen
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Fine Story that does justice to Jane Austen

This story does justice to Ms. Austin's classic characters. I had an occasional difficulty in figuring out who was speaking during multi-parties conversations. This was not too detrimental to the story. It was lovely to see Kitty's maturity and always a treat to see love conquer all. A fine story by Ms. Williams!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 20, 2015 10:23AM
Clean Romances: New Sweet Regency on sale until 12/16 1 20 Dec 03, 2013 10:29AM
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • Pride and Persistence
  • Darcy's Ultimatum (The Cousins #1)
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • Scandal at Dawn (Regency Rhapsody, #2)
  • Charlotte: Pride & Prejudice Continues (Pride & Prejudice Continues #1)
  • Letters from the Heart: A Pride and Prejudice Novella Variation
  • An Unpleasant Walk
  • Rake's Ransom
  • Mr. Darcy Came to Dinner
  • Disappointed Hopes (A Fair Prospect, #1)
  • Into Kent (Darcy's Tale #2)
  • Second Glances: A Tale of Less Pride and Prejudice Continues
  • The Knights of Derbyshire (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 5)
  • Assumed Obligation
  • Pemberley to Waterloo (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles, #2)
  • Darcy and Elizabeth: A Most Unlikely Couple
  • A Jane Austen Daydream
Reina M. Williams loves period dramas, reading, and baking. As a girl, she loved fairy tales, the Little House books, the Betsy-Tacy series, and history; now her favorites list has grown almost as long as her to-read list. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her two boys, who hope to someday take a research trip to England with their mom.

Want exclusive content, recipes, and Reina's book
More about Reina M. Williams

Love at Pemberley (4 books)
  • Miss Darcy Decides (Love at Pemberley, #2)
  • Miss Bennet Blooms (Love at Pemberley, #3)
  • Misunderstood: A Pride and Prejudice Novella (Love at Pemberley, #4)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“It was difficult to step the balance of being agreeable and cheerful while not being silly and careless.” 0 likes