Start by marking “The Girl from the Blood Coven” as Want to Read:
The Girl from the Blood Coven

The Girl from the Blood Coven

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"Who or what killed them all? "

In this short story prelude to "The Witching House," the year is 1972. Sheriff Travis Keagan is enjoying a beer at the local roadhouse when a blood-soaked girl enters the bar. Terrified and trembling, Abigail Blackwood claims her entire family was massacred at the nearby hippy commune in the woods. But when Sheriff Keagan and his deputies inv
Published July 2nd 2013 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from the Blood Coven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl from the Blood Coven

Kate
A prequel to The Witching House, this story also sort of works as a standalone.
Abigail walks into the local bar covered in blood and claiming her entire commune family have been slaughtered. Sheriff Travis Keagan goes out to investigate and wishes he hadn't.
Nicely paced read with engaging characters and a disturbingly gory storyline. It is the perfect prelude to The Witching House and has me eager to get to the novel.
Marie
This was a spooky short read! Great detailed background information of the Blevins house which is a prelude to the authors book "The Witching House". As with any horror book there is some spooks, some blood, and some gore thrown in for good measure. Five stars for a great chill factor!
Scot
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
(Review) I'm impressed!! Great atmospheric read. I really enjoyed this short story. I will definitely be looking forward to reading more from this author. Brian has the ability to make a story pop to life in a limited number of pages. An action packed story that leaves the reader guessing and breathless.
Char
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good characters must be hard to create in such a short story, but Mr. Moreland pulls it off. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.
I recommend this brief tale of things coming to a head!
Zakk Ex Libris
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 20 page tease for a Brian Moreland novella, and what a tease it is. Tense and graphic, with a constant underlining sense of dread through out. Great characters and vivid imagery. This is my first taste of Moreland's fiction and I'll be back for more

4.5/5
The Mouths of Madness Podcast
www.facebook.com/themouthsofmadness
Patrick D'Orazio
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Girl From the Blood Coven gives the reader a short story introduction to Brian Moreland’s novella, The Witching House. Back in 1972, a slaughter occurred at the old Blevins House in Texas. A blood drenched girl stumbles into a bar in the nearby small town and the sheriff must go investigate when she tells him “they’re all dead”. What he finds is both shocking and does a very effective job in setting the stage for the novella that follows. We are given hints at what supernatural darkness is a ...more
Hayley Knighten
Originally posted on Books are Delicious!

As AC/DC put it, "If you want blood, you got it." Brian Moreland's horror short story The Girl From The Blood Coven delivers a heart-pounding thriller with just enough mystery to whet your appetite for the follow-up novella, The Witching House.

So a blood-soaked girl walks into a bar...oh, you haven't heard this one? Let me explain. The girl is Abigail Blackwood, a known member of a hippy commune in the woods. She claims that her entire family has been mas
Erin Al-Mehairi
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girl from the Blood Coven, by Brian Moreland, is a short story that released today (July 2, 2013) for FREE as a prequel to Brian's upcoming novella The Witching House, which will release August. If you've not read Brian before, now is the perfect chance to try him out at no cost, which isn't a risk as he's one of the best horror and supernatural writers on the planet. If you've read him, what are you waiting for? You know this is good!

It's short because it's a prequel, but it packs a punch a
Ken McKinley
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
The Girl from the Blood Coven is a short story prelude to Moreland's excellent The Witching House and, in my opinion, should be read as such. Sure, you can read it on it's own, but then you'd be missing out on a fantastic continuation that The Girl from the Blood Coven started. Why have just the appetizer when you can have the 7 course meal??

In 1972, a girl walks into a East Texas roadhouse bar covered in blood claiming that everyone in the hippy commune she was living in has been slaughtered.
A.E.
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horror author Brian Moreland impresses once again with his latest project, "The Girl From the Blood Coven", which concerns Abigail Blackwood, a disturbed young lady who shows up to a bar covered in blood saying that someone has murdered her entire family. Fans of small-town horror need to look no further than this short story, which serves as a wonderful teaser for the forthcoming novella where the story continues, "The Witching House", which is also a must-read for any avid horror fan.
Hunter Shea
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story is a perfect little sampler for even greater things to come in the follow up novella. The small town fear is palpable, the gore delectable. A perfect appetizer for any true horror hound.
Ken
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
A very short preview of Moreland's "The Witching House". This IS NOT subtle horror.

3 STARS
Kimberly
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short, and introduction to the novella, THE WITCHING HOUSE!
Glenn Rolfe
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is why I love horror. This is a short, but sweet lead in to Brian's next work coming out in August The Witching House. CAN NOT WAIT!
Marty Shaw
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girl from the Blood Coven, by Brian Moreland, is a prequel that provides a little background info on the
events that occur in The Witching House. While it’s not necessary to read the novella to understand what’s
happening in the novel, horror fans will not want to miss this brief history of the house and the coven of witches
 that lived there.

I really enjoyed Blood Coven because it has the feel of a horror movie, with the action starting almost as soon
as you start reading. Sheriff Travis Keagan
Lexa Cain
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, reviewed
I was riveted by this short story, a prequel-teaser to the novel The Witching House.

From the first lines, it does what every great horror story should – it grabs you by the throat and drags you into its world. Buck Horn, Texas, is as typical as can be with average people, friendly atmosphere, and a diner that serves pie with a side of flirty waitress. All Sheriff Keagan wants to do is watch the game and have a beer, but when a blood-drenched girl crosses his path, his night—and his life—will nev
Chibineko
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this the same time I purchased The Witching House, so when I was finished with it I was able to fill my craving for all things related to the Blood Coven. However I do give this warning: read this short story first. While I think that you could probably pick up more insights from reading this afterwards, I liked that I didn't know who/what the killer was and was left with this feeling of anxiety and expectation for the book itself.

This is a fairly short story, as about a good 10 pages wer
Yolanda Sfetsos
I read this short story in one sitting, and found it to be super creepy. In the best possible way. ;)

The year is 1972. Sheriff Keagan stops by the local roadhouse for a meal and a beer when a young woman turns up covered in blood. Except, it's not her blood. And when Keagan starts asking questions, he finds out the girl was part of a witch coven. So he goes to investigate the creepy Blevins house, and finds a massacre.

I really enjoyed this prequel short story! It was spooky enough to hook me in
Peter
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a prelude to The Witching House. The year was 1972 and sheriff Keagan was having a beer at one of the local establishments. Abigail Blackwood stumbles into the bar trembling and all covered with blood. Abigail tells the sheriff that her whole family at the Blevins house has been murder. Abigail tells the sheriff that they were murder by a monster. The sheriff and one of his deputy are going to the Blevins house to check out her story. What they found there was more horrific than her stor ...more
Tim Potter
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, horror
This short is a prequel to Moreland’s novella, THE WITCHING HOUSE. It is 1972 and a blood-covered girl appears in town telling of a massacre at the hippie commune where she lived and where, allegedly, devil worship occurred. The events set the stage for THE WITCHING HOUSE, set forty years later. This is available as a free download for Kindle users.
Anthony Crowley
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian Moreland always delivers within his literary works. Many readers of classic and modern horror genres will enjoy this short fiction story. The cover artwork and title what initially made me feel I had to read this, I am glad I did. AC
Jack
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This awesome, short story is a free prequel to Brian Moreland's The Witching House. It is a quick read and it is awesome. I am moving on to The Witching House now. Cannot wait to see what happens next. Horror fans, get on this!
Elizabeth
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book and I'm looking forward to reading The Witching House.
Larry
The best short story that i have read from Samhain Publishing yet!!!
Noigeloverlord
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story
Angela Crawford
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! It is intense and spooky. It also made me want to know more about the things that live in the old Blevins house.
Daryl
Jul 17, 2013
Charles
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Brian Moreland writes dark suspense, thrillers, and horror. His books include DEAD OF WINTER, SHADOWS IN THE MIST, THE WITCHING HOUSE, THE DEVIL'S WOODS, THE VAGRANTS, DARKNESS RISING, and coming soon DARK NEEDS, an expanded collection of short stories. Brian loves hiking, world travel, watching movies and sports, and spending time with family.

Brian loves visiting with readers.
Friend Brian on Goo