Start by marking “June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)

June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  896 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Mira James never imagined life after college would be a doublewide trailer outside Battle Lake, Minnesota. Then again, maybe the North Country has more to offer than mosquitoes and broasted chicken.

Published March 8th 2007 by Midnight Ink (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about June Bug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about June Bug

Jen
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
June in Battle Lake brings tourists to the local resort. Local lore of lost jewels from the 1920's brings even more as treasure hunters. Hidden stills, disappearing acts, and a very undesirable person from Mira's past added to the mix.
Heather
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Synopsis (from bn.com).

Local legend claims that a diamond necklace was lost nearly a century ago in Whiskey Lake, not far from the present day Shangri-La resort. Mira, a part-time reporter, goes fishing for the story behind the legend, but her dives turn up more than missing jewelry. Buoyed by frozen Nut Goodies and a diminutive circus performer, the exhilarating search leads to a new mystery to unravel, and puts her face to face with the surfacing of a menacing foe from her past.

My thoughts:

Thi
Brenda
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-challenges
June Bug is the second in the Murder by Month mystery series. Mira James is a part time reporter for the Battle Lake Recall and head librarian in Battle Lake, Minnesota. Mira and her cat Tiger Pop have settled into the double wide trailer she is housesitting for her friend Sunny and taking care of Sunny's German Shepherd, Luna.

When Jason Blunt stumbles into her bedroom drunk, Sunny is not happy to see the man she had a bad experience with as a young college student. Jason lets it slip that he is
Lighthearted
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the days of Prohibition, the wealthy Addams family had a lovely lodge built on the shoreline of Whiskey Lake. One summer, a guest reportedly lost a diamond necklace while swimming in the lake. The necklace was never found.

The current owners of the property think that reviving the lost-necklace story is great publicity for their resort and soon a newspaper contest brings treasure seekers to Mira James’ adopted town of Battle Lake. Mira herself is intrigued and dives in search of the neckl
Paige
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I snatched this up when it was a Kindle freebie awhile back and just now got around to reading it. And I thoroughly enjoyed it enough to purchase another one while it was a low price (waiting for the others to drop a little as well). It opens with a man from Mira's past, Jason who climbs into bed thinking she's someone else. At first I was a little irritated with her because as other reviewers have said she's a bit spineless when it comes to this jerk but I forgave that when the story got rollin ...more
Elaine
I agree with the review which refers to this book as "ribald." - totally

Funny, to say the least.

Mira works for a small-town newspaper. A very small newspaper. And she's the town's head librarian. Some local news made the bigger newspapers and the townspeople got wind of it before she did and she, being the reporter, wonders how this news got past her. She uses the library's computer and plagiarizes the story with a slight spin to make it "hers," giving the impression that she was in the know.

On
Rhonda
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a mystery that starts out she is dreaming and realizes someone is in bed with her.Mira is house sitting for her friend Sunny who Jason thought would welcome him.
Mira works part time for small town newspaper. She is also the librain. She does not trust Jason.
Thier is a big city newspaper that is sponsering a hunt in the lake for fake diamond in a black box and winner gets 5,000 dollars. Thier is also brought up how in the 1920 a women went into the lake with diamond on and came out of the wat
Linda
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOTS of lusty remarks, which I think we could have done without, but no actual explicit sex. Mira is house-sitting for a friend, in the backwoods of MN. She stumbles upon a decades-old mystery, which as part-time newspaper reporter, she just HAS to figure out. Back in the 20's a lot a jewelry disappeared from the, then, Shangri-la resort. As Mira stumbles around, getting banged up, by June Bugs and abusive acquaintances, she gets closer & closer to the "treasure". As an aside, she has the "h ...more
Ann
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is wrong on so many levels: 1) Mira James is surprised when a man climbs into bed with her but doesn't do anything but yell at him and even fixes him breakfast. 2) She goes diving alone and almost drowns when she gets tangled up in ropes. 3) She thinks it is OK to walk into a hotel room and search it without permission from either the guest or the owner. 4) She agrees to meet someone she doesn't know alone at midnight on the edge of a lake. I could go on. This book attempts to be witty ...more
Cathy
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Very cute mystery concerning jewels missing for 80 years, dead bodies, and a brutal sociopath who terrorizes (briefly) our heroine, Mira James.
Mira is the part-time reporter for her small town newspaper and the full-time librarian. She stumbles into a story of stolen jewelry.
We get to meet (also briefly) some of the characters in the town.
This was a fun read; nothing deep about it. It is part of the Monthly Mysteries. I haven't read any of the others but I would. I liked the main character and
Susan
Aug 31, 2010 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I felt like I walked into a conversation already in progress with the start of this book. The heroine woke up early one morning and found a man in her bed. She wondered how he got there, and so did I. It was never really explained how this guy managed to get into this woman's trailer. Turns out she knew him from years before. She fed him food before he left. Then I find out this guy presumably would have raped her years earlier if he wasn't interrupted. Huh?? She fed him? Talked civilly with hi ...more
Fiction State Of Mind
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first in the series. The mystery this time centers around a contest in the local lake to boost tourism. Our protagonist Mira James does some research into the contest and finds that there was an incident years ago when an expensive necklace went missing.

As Mira investigates the case she also stumbles across another murder. I still love this series but this book was a bit rocky for me. Maybe it was the plot, but I ended up skimming through the second half o
Cindy
Jan 21, 2015 added it
You know who the bad guys are; just not how or why. Mira James is a compelling character -- feisty, self-reliant, well-educated. Although writing mysteries with month-by-month titles is not knew, I did enjoy reading this. Minnesota, in May, reminds me of most of the Great Lakes area. Some of the supporting characters are interesting-- pothead Jed, the sheriff, Kennie. Both most are really just there to fill in. I did find Mrs. Berns quite a funny old lady, but not as hilarious as Stephanie Plum ...more
Susan
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, 2011-reads
This series has some potential. The main character has moved from the twin cities to a small Minnesota town where she works on two part-time jobs. The plot moves along steadily as she gathers clues from variety of sources. Other characters such Kennie, Mrs. Berns (made me laugh out loud) and Shirly are great, too. I wanted to give this four stars, but the author's use of metaphors like "Her perfume preceded her like acid rain" prevented me from doing so.
Virginia Walter
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I was charmed by the first Murder-by-Month Mystery, MAY DAY. This one, not so much. The mystery this time revolves around some jewels that went missing back in the 1920s and a publicity-driven hunt for treasure that lies under water in the lake. The cozy small-town Minnesota setting doesn't seem as fresh as it did the first time around, and Mira doesn't wear as well as some of my favorite mystery protagonists.
Robyn Matthews
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Again a holiday read. This one with a little darkness, the main villain of the piece quite violent and a oddly upsetting is Mira's ability to excuse his violence and not use the police to stop on the basis she would need proof of his actions. I still enjoyed and it's not as obvious as most books of this genre
Tina Axell
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty good mystery, but I think I liked the first one in the series better. I feel as though the author is shying away from creating a love interest for Mira, as she killed off the first one and nothing really happened with they guy she had her on in this installment. Guess I'll just have to wait and see where that goes.
Heather
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fun little poolside read - some hilarious moments and salty humor and well-developed protagonist. The author does a great job of describing the bad guy so really really don't like him. Great small-town humor as well. I got this free on Amazon Kindle - I'll read the other two she has out and forthcoming.
Kirstin
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
The author is from Alexandria, MN and she does a great job recreating rural, lakeside Minnesota. The story is set in Battle Lake, MN and I really felt that the references were not just gratuitous- felt normal not contrived. For a kindle freebie, I really enjoyed it. Not a really twisting mystery but a good summer read.
Mel
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Another Minnesota story....she moves from Minneapolis to Battle Lake and becomes involved in a mystery in the town. This is the first book in a series with names of the month in the title. Written in a comedic style like the Evanovich books. Got this free for my kindle and probably will read the rest of them as they are cheap on Amazon.
Crimson
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is what I would call a soft mystery. I say that because the book focused more on building the series consistant features rather than the mystery its self. I still really enjoyed it. The main charcter is likeable and I will continue to read the series for her. This book, rather inexpilicably is a page turner.
Mom
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting into this book. Normally, I am trying to stay awake to finish the book.
This is a cute tale of a girl that is trying to make a living on her own. She has been to college but is not going now.
Her dad died and she and her mom lost each other.
Hard to really get into.
Jenn
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
When I saw this compared to Stephanie Plum- I think I expected too much (in the laugh out loud department). It was an ok story, but I did not like all the little innuendos and comments on anatomy - there were neither necessary nor amusing. I might give the author another try, but this is not one I'd really recommend.
Shameka
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't normally read books like this. That being said, this was pretty enjoyable. It made me chuckle and was a pleasant read. It ended a bit abruptly and everything was tied up in a neat little bow at the end which was slightly annoying but, ah well, it was free and that has to count for something. Would read from this author again.
Rhonda
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I normally don't read murder mysteries, but I met the author at a workshop and wanted to read her work, it is sassy and irreverant (Mira is a bit too sassy) but I enjoyed the read, take it for what it is, a fun short read, different than the norm, I especially enjoyed the setting, I love anything Minnesota and have been to Battle Lake so that made it enjoyable
Jill
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, free
This was a free download for my kindle. It took a little while to get into, but after a while I enjoyed the main character's sense of humor and the mystery held up. Not quite as LOL funny as a Stephanie Plum, but a good, funny cozy.
Sue
Free kindle read, it was an average read. The character seemed overly simplified. Some of the things she did were just dumb - I like books where the characters seems real, this one, Mira, did things the typical person would not do. It was a simple read though and for what it is, held my attention.
Stacy
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
a very light read if you need to pass time and wontget too disturbed by the fact that several parts of the book are just too forced. possibly reading the first book would have helped but still felt like many parts of the book didn't make sense.
Carrie
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed in this book--I thought the first one was much better. In this one there wasn't much of a mystery to solve, something I feel is a key element of a mystery book!
I still like the main character and the town she lives in, so I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Kara Ripley
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This was pretty silly. There wasn't really a mystery because it was pretty clear who was the culprit. And I was disappointed that the main character couldn't figure out a simple cypher! I mean I did!

Even so. I ate this book up. It was a great fluffy read.
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery, #2)
  • I, Spy? (Sophie Green Mystery, #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Graveyard Games
  • Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • The Dogs of Rome (Commissario Alec Blume, #1)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • County Line
Jessica (Jess) Lourey is best known for her critically-acclaimed Murder-by-Month mysteries, which have earned multiple starred reviews from Library Journal and Booklist, the latter calling her writing "a splendid mix of humor and suspense." Jessica also writes sword and sorcery fantasy as Albert Lea, edge-of-your-seat YA adventure as J.H. Lourey, and magical realism, literary fiction, and thriller ...more
More about Jess Lourey...

Murder-by-Month Mystery (10 books)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)
  • August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • October Fest (Murder-by-Month Mystery #6)
  • November Hunt