Start by marking “The Cruel Path (The Narrowing Path, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Cruel Path (The Narrowing Path, #0.5)

Read Book

The Cruel Path

(The Narrowing Path ##0.5)

But which? Having to make that terrible decision proves crueler than anything else the Green Path c
Published November 20th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Cruel Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruel Path

Start your review of The Cruel Path (The Narrowing Path, #0.5)
Rinn
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

I was a bit apprehensive when I started to read this short novella, as I foolishly hadn’t realised it was in fact part of a series. Although it is a prequel to the main books, often you need to have read the sequels before the prequels. However, luckily in this case it didn’t appear to be so!

In just a few pages
Kim
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was provided to me free of charge, and I am reviewing it voluntarily.
The Cruel Path is a prequel to Normoyle’s The Narrowing Path Trilogy, and it does exactly what a true prequel should do, it made me want to read the trilogy. The story follows three brothers before and during the “Green Path”, a trial designed to weed out the weak so that the limited resources of the city can be dedicated to the survival of the strong and cunning. Unfortunately, only two survivors are allowed, so even
Aviar Savijon
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
One incredible journey and adventure. I loved it!!!
eyes.2c
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, ya, fantasy
...'perhaps we are all monsters, those of us who walk the Green Path'...

Poignant and stark, with moments of joy, this dystopian novella sets the background for survival, death and what is to come thirty years hence in The Narrowing Path. This is a glimpse into the history of Arcandis and The Refuge through the eyes of Ealnor, one of three brothers.
Teenage boys, those selected from the hierarchy of Arcandis society must walk the Green Path, and survive it. If they survive they will be future lead
Thistle
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(Book given free for review by publisher.)

Oh how I loved this story. I thought it was a sequel to the first book (The Narrowing Path, reviewed by me back in June), but turns out it was a prequel. Also turns out it was much shorter than the original (Cruel is a novella).

It's set on the same world as Narrowing: A planet with an unstable orbit. Once every few (six?) years, the planet gets too close to the sun and all life on the surface is killed off. The only way to survive is to be below the surf
Koeur
Dec 04, 2013 added it

Publisher: normoyle
Publishing Date: November 2013
ISBN: 9781311760395
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: NR

Publisher Description: In a society without love, three brothers develop an unbreakable bond; in a land without mercy, only a handful of boys like them are allowed to reach adulthood. The three brothers take on the pitiless test of the Green Path, knowing that even if they win, one of them must die. But which? Having to make that terrible decision proves crueler
Dana
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this prequel to The Narrowing Path Series, three brothers work together to survive the Green Path - a competition among the boys of the Ascor, the wealthy in the community to survive and guarantee a place for themselves to hide in the limited underground shelters from the scorching sun that makes the planet unlivable for a few weeks every six years. The boys must fight, bargain or help a fighter and be interesting and cunning to win a place for survival. Of the three brothers, only two will b ...more
Karen Siddall
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Cruel Path is an excellent prequel to The Narrowing Path. If you hadn't decided if you wanted to read the series, I think this would positively cinch the deal.

As noted, this occurs 30 years prior to the incidents beginning in the The Narrowing Path and I believe gives you a fair grounding on the world of Arcandia and its way of life. Characters appearing in The Cruel World reappear in the series.

Having said that, I went back and reread this story after completing The Narrowing Path, and enjo
Manda
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
the only reason I did not give this book a fourth star is the author throws you into the story without adequately explaining the world in which the story takes place. this cause me to feel disconnected from what I was reading. however the story was compiling, the hook was great and by the end I was in tears. all and all a good read.
BC
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is a brief, fun fantasy story that speaks to the challenges of a strict society and culture and how these boys choose to overcome.
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Soooo messed up review to come when I come back
Taylor
Nov 08, 2014
Apostol Apostolov
Oct 18, 2015
Jeffrey T. Van Ness
Dec 10, 2014
rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2014
phyllis
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Winding the Cat's Cradle
  • The Strawberry Lane Hotel (The Raventree Society #1A)
  • The Pillar of Horns
  • The Many Lives Of Hadley Monroe
  • Doc's Orders (Cyborg Space Exploration #2)
  • Liar's Poker
  • Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General
  • Firstborn (Starcraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #1)
  • Shadow Hunters (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #2)
  • Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco
  • Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)
  • Gone by Midnight (Crimson Lake, #3)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • Don't Stop Me: Vic (The McCabe Brothers #1)
  • Gun Street Girl (Detective Sean Duffy, #4)
  • The Enigma Strain (Harvey Bennett #1)
  • Choosing Chuckles (Cyborg Space Exploration #1)
  • Ghost Riders In The Sky
David was born in Australia, but moved to Ireland at an early age. The early globe crossing must have gone to his head, as he has since backpacked through and lived in numerous countries. He grew up on a farm as the eldest of nine unruly siblings, but since his escape, he prefers city living. His electronic engineering degree is currently gathering dust while he tries new and strange pursuits such ...more

The Narrowing Path (3 books)
  • The Narrowing Path (The Narrowing Path, #1)
  • The Treacherous Path (The Narrowing Path, #2)
  • The Collapsing Path (The Narrowing Path, #3)