Start by marking “Shell House” as Want to Read:
Shell House

Shell House

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
'My name is Rebecca Bandford, only it isn’t the name I was born with. I am a child killer. That is a reference to me that is true and unchanging. I don’t even know who I am. I know that I am a part of your society and I am a product of my circumstances and surroundings, but I am socially invisible, even though I am infamous. People become lost under their labels; wife, mot ...more
Published November 17th 2013 (first published August 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shell House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shell House

Lynda Kelly
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
This wasn't for me at all. The actual story is right up my street but there's no dialogue. Just endless description which I just never get along with. This happened with another e-book recently. I never do the "trying out" chapters and because you can't flick through pages you've no idea what's how it's laid out till it's downloaded and you start in reading it. I gave up, therefore, at only 18%.
There were some niggling mistakes as well. Drawer spelled as draw, lightning as lightening, colly as c
Aunty Janet
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This haunting and well written story gripped me in places. The descriptions are mesmerising at times.
''Harry Rochester made a mistake. Forty years ago he abandoned his daughter who was convicted of a grisly crime. Wanting to right a wrong Harry makes contact with his daughter only to realize events of the past are glue that bind a family full of dark untold secrets.
Rebecca Banford, had another life and identity stolen from her as a child for a crime that labelled her a child killer. As a grown w
Nicki
I enjoyed this over all although i did find it excruciatingly slow in places. Its very tense and moody and kept me reading as I really wanted to find out what happened in the end. I liked the diary entries in the beginning but got confused when the stopped and the writing style changed. It would have been more helpful to explain what was going on as you don't know until later on in the book. I read this for free on a kindle app and was quite frustrated that I didn't have pages numbers to tell me ...more
Billy Buttons
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: Shell House
Author: Gayle Eileen Curtis
Star Rating: 4 stars
Number of Readers: 31

Readers’ Comments
‘What a superb book. I loved the plot line and the characters were well developed and fascinating to follow. Lots of twists and a satisfying ending.’ Female reader, aged 43
‘Moving and, often, a little sad, this thriller was very entertaining.’ Male reader, aged 34
‘Although this is a thoroughly enjo
Carina
Like many of the books on my Kindle I downloaded them so long ago I have no idea what the plot's are. In some cases the title lets you guess what the book will be about - chick-lit books tend to have certain titles that are 'light' and 'breezy' sounding, crime or thriller novels tend to be a bit 'darker' sounding. Shell House to me is a light and breezy sounding name... the book is anything but.

This is one of those books where saying much about it would act as a spoiler, and I know Goodreads has
Lorraine
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I thought I made a mistake after reading a few pages as I did not think I wanted to read about a child killer. A friend had recommended the book with great reviews so I pushed on. To my delight the story began to unfold and I was hooked. Written as diary entries of two people the book can be interesting to follow. A couple of times I needed to back track to make sure I was following the story and check which character was speaking at the time. I enjoyed the story line and was intereste ...more
Naomi
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars!

Gabrielle Rochester AKA Rebecca Bandford is a child killer. Harry Rochester, her father, abandoned her after the accusation of the murders. "Shell House" is a book the describes the contacts, hurt, and healing of contact between father and daughter including actions and circumstances leading to the abandonment.

I was not expecting such a story from the title and cover of this book. Emotional turmoil was felt between both characters on multiple levels. A twist at the end was not even expe
Rachel
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slightly confusing writing style/s going on with this book, unlike the previous book by the same author I'd read.

Nice storyline in principle, with some likeable/believable characters but it felt deeply padded out at times, there's at least 50+ more pages than it needed...
Charee
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book

I think I spent most of this book in the same state of turmoil as the characters. I couldn't put it down until I had closure!
Christine Rausch
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written.
Barbara
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't want this to end. Downloaded another story by the same author & hope it's a good as this. Few reviews criticise the writing, I found it fine. Good read!!!
miss mp woodcock
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kept me reading

I liked this book although I guessed the twist very early on. It had me thinking alot about the characters reasons for their actions . However I was slightly confused towards the end but managed to work through my confusion
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
3.5 stars. this is the second book ive read by this author. i did like this book but a twist about three quarters of the way spoilt it for me. i personally wish the author hadnt put the twist in as it is a good book but i was left feeling deflated towards the end and not knowing what was real and what wasnt. overall still a good book and would still recommend as some people might like the twist towards the end but personally i didnt.
Miki
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alleged child murderer, death, broken family and a beach house. This has all of the elements of a feel good book. You can't possibly go wrong!
Caz
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A well written thought provoking book. Well worth a read
Mai
Apr 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
couldn't get into it
Pat
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book became very confusing to me and very repetitive at times! would not recommend it!
Kerry Horwood
Jan 03, 2015
Holly Eckstein
rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2017
Feb 04, 2016
Theresa Goncalves
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Sholes Key (Evans and Blackwell Mystery #1)
  • Dear Coca-Cola
  • Locked Up in La Mesa
  • The Soul Fixer
  • All That Mullarkey
  • The Nearly Complete Works of Donald Harington, Volume 1
  • Love & The Goddess
  • You Have Chosen to Remember: A Journey from Perception to Knowledge, Peace of Mind and Joy
  • White Goods
  • Tangled Web
  • Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life
  • Strawgirl (Bo Bradley, #2)
  • Gold and Fishes
  • Feenlicht und Krötenzauber (Sumpfloch-Saga #1)
  • Copperheads: The Rise and Fall of Lincoln's Opponents in the North
  • Catnip (The Dunbarton Mysteries Series, #1)
  • You Are Loved . . . an email memoir
  • History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of Michigan

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
  • Word of Honor
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)