Start by marking “The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Catholic Saints and Beati” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Continuously popular since it first appeared in 1977, The Incorruptibles remains the acknowledged classic on the bodies of Saints that did not undergo decomposition after death, many remaining fresh and flexible for years, or even centuries. After explaining both natural and artificial mummification, the author shows that the incorruption of the Saints bodies fits into nei ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by TAN Books (first published June 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Incorruptibles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incorruptibles

Amanda
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting information about the saints whose bodies are incorruptible.

I learned a lot. Although many of the bodies did not decomposed for several hundreds of years, they later did.

It upset me a little that body parts are often cut off of the incorrupt bodies as relics. If God allows a body to be incorrupt, who are we to cut it up? I don't get that.

Tocotin
I. Want. This. Book.

Okay, so I got it. Read it. Meh. It does have its moments, which mainly have to do with the lengths some of the faithful would go to obtain a holy relic:

"A number of [Saint Francis Xavier's] toes are missing, one of them having been bitten off in 1544 by a Portuguese lady named Donna Isabel de Carom, who refused to return the relic."

I know, right? There is more, much more of this stuff. The whole book is, in fact, mostly about pious sisters, brothers, archbishops, doctors, la
Jaime
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting indeed but the parts about some of the saints having pieces of their body removed for relics and some stolen for I guess what they call souvenirs really upsets me. Don’t have an issue with special monuments but feel that the bodies should be left alone. Miraculous or not it’s still just the vessel. The soul is home with Christ so while we honor their memory and religious life lived let’s not get entrapped or obsessed with the body. Just my take, and yes I am Catholic.
Geri
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Interesting, yet in a way very creepy!
Jaime Vicente
I read this wayback my highschool years and was really amazed.. young and naive as I was.. Then the dream of traveling to these places where the Incorruptibles are kept unfolded.
Nicole
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saints, nonfiction
I've been curious about this book for years and I've finally had the chance to read it. 3 stars, because it's not stellar writing - just puts the facts out there. But....oh, such interesting, fascinating facts. You can't just sit and read it through, because it's case after case after case, and they will all run together. I found it best to read about a few saints per sitting.

The book's cover photo of St. Bernadette Soubirous of Lourdes is of one of the better preserved incorruptibles. It's amaz
Elaina
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not Catholic but I am interested in death and dead things and this book caught my attention. It is exactly what it says it is, an encyclopedia of blessed corpses. I liked reading it. But I am kind of weird.
Kathy Lama
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating book!
Kristi Doucet
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

Good read. Enjoyed learning about each saint and how they lived their lives. The graces and faith of each one is so hopeful.
Maggie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
When I was in the Fifth grade (I'm sure they were trying to recruit servers), one of the parish ushers took us on a little behind-the-scenes tour of the church. We got to go back to the Sacristy, learned about the wine and the bread, saw the wardrobe with the different Vestments, learned some history about the statues in the church, the stained glass, people stealing the Virgin from the Chapel, yada yada yada. We really knew all that already. The exciting part was when he led us to the alter and ...more
L
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Incorruptibles- by Joan Carroll Cruz- Written in 1977, this book chronicles the lives of all 102 Saints, Beati, and Venerables whose bodies have been discovered in the state of incorruption. The author details the investigations by the Catholic Church, and medical authorities, in documenting these bodies which lack proper decomposition. Some of the bodies were found in damp graves, or whose caskets or clothing had deteriorated around the uncorrupted bodies. Some bodies were even buried in li ...more
Colleen
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, catholic
Pretty solid work.

This is not a book that you can read in just a few sittings. It is more of an encyclopedic work and is good for referring back to as a reference. I must say, I was surprised at the sheer number of saints who are/were incorruptible. Some saints have a pretty lengthy description, while others are very brief. It is a good mix of very well known saints (Saint Teresa of Avila, Saint Vincent de Paul) and lesser known saints (Blessed Maria Assunta Pallotta, Blessed Mary Bagnesi).

I mos
Lawrence Miquelon
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating. A bit too Catholic for me but the sheer volume of accounts make this difficult to ignore. It reminds me of the verse, "Thou shall not allow thy holy one to undergo decay." I recommend it to anyone with an interest in the supernatural. You may connect some of these accounts with your own experience of the holy spirit.
Atlantis
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astounding, mind-boggling collection of Catholics (some who were venterated, beatified or obtained full sainthood) whom after death their bodies did not decay in the natural way . Would recommend to anyone. Well documented and easy to read.
Aug 27, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A pick up and learn, put down and return later, sorta book. It examines the stages of 'corruption' of a body, the various saints whose bodies have been found incorrupt and etc. It's a lot of information, but fascinating.
Rob Roy
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
So bad it is good.
Emma
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, religion
Fun to read. Kind of world of wonder that often makes one smile. Currious is the word.
Teressa
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Different saint, same story... over and over.
Kimberly
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book of miracles of the human body.
Fabie2t
I think this site is dreadful.
Arief Mulyanto
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Menarik sih. Cukup informatif
April
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
Great stories of many incorrupt saints. Would've been better with more pictures, and all in color. Beautiful faith builder.
Ange
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book to pick up and read a few chapters at a time. Interesting to learn about so many Holy saints who have been preserved from decay, at least for awhile.
GE
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting topic.
Araceli
For those who would like to know a basic overview of the saint's life, this book would be a perfect read.
Maria
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these types of books. It's amazing and I want to read more about it.
Bonnie Munn
Jun 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the subject of incorruptible bodies' of saints
Fascinating. Easy to read, broken down into quick chapters. Very inspiring.
Clarissa Moore
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
  • The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God
  • John Paul the Great: Remembering a Spiritual Father
  • Making an Exit: From the Magnificent to the Macabre -- How We Dignify the Dead
  • Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry: True Stories of Padre Pio
  • Christian Prayer
  • Mother Teresa's Secret Fire: The Encounter That Changed Her Life, and How It Can Transform Your Own
  • Padre Pio: Man of Hope
  • Corpses, Coffins, and Crypts: A History of Burial
  • Holy Bones, Holy Dust: How Relics Shaped the History of Medieval Europe
  • The Secret Language of Sacred Spaces: Decoding Churches, Cathedrals, Temples, Mosques and Other Places of Worship Around the World
  • Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality
  • The Empire of Death: A Cultural History of Ossuaries and Charnel Houses
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • Saints Behaving Badly: The Cutthroats, Crooks, Trollops, Con Men, and Devil-Worshippers Who Became Saints
  • What Catholics Really Believe--Setting the Record Straight: 52 Answers to Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Faith
  • Rest in Peace: A Cultural History of Death and the Funeral Home in Twentieth-Century America
  • Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves
Mrs. Cruz is a native of New Orleans, LA, and was educated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. She was a member of the Discalced Carmelite Secular Order for 50 years and received the Mother Teresa Award in 2005.

Mrs. Cruz was the author of 15 Catholic books, all of which received the imprimatur. She was perhaps best known for her writings on miraculous occurrences of faith which she compiled throu
More about Joan Carroll Cruz

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More