Start by marking “The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Catholic Saints and Beati” as Want to Read:

Continuously popular since it first appeared in 1977, The Incorruptibles remains the acknowledged classic on the bodies of Saints that did not undergo decomposition after death, many remaining fresh and flexible for years, or even centuries. After explaining both natural and artificial mummification, the author shows that the incorruption of the Saints bodies fits into nei ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by TAN Books (first published June 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Incorruptibles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incorruptibles

Start your review of The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Catholic Saints and Beati
Joseph
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book as reading material for my holy hour, and it was quite the book! My only problem with this book is there aren’t enough pictures of the saints when one could possibly have been taken or provided, but this might not necessarily the fault of the author. nevertheless, this is a book that will reaffirm your faith in the Catholic Church!
Amanda
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting information about the saints whose bodies are incorruptible.

I learned a lot. Although many of the bodies did not decomposed for several hundreds of years, they later did.

It upset me a little that body parts are often cut off of the incorrupt bodies as relics. If God allows a body to be incorrupt, who are we to cut it up? I don't get that.

Tocotin
I. Want. This. Book.

Okay, so I got it. Read it. Meh. It does have its moments, which mainly have to do with the lengths some of the faithful would go to obtain a holy relic:

"A number of [Saint Francis Xavier's] toes are missing, one of them having been bitten off in 1544 by a Portuguese lady named Donna Isabel de Carom, who refused to return the relic."

I know, right? There is more, much more of this stuff. The whole book is, in fact, mostly about pious sisters, brothers, archbishops, doctors, la
Jaime
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting indeed but the parts about some of the saints having pieces of their body removed for relics and some stolen for I guess what they call souvenirs really upsets me. Don’t have an issue with special monuments but feel that the bodies should be left alone. Miraculous or not it’s still just the vessel. The soul is home with Christ so while we honor their memory and religious life lived let’s not get entrapped or obsessed with the body. Just my take, and yes I am Catholic.
Elaina
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not Catholic but I am interested in death and dead things and this book caught my attention. It is exactly what it says it is, an encyclopedia of blessed corpses. I liked reading it. But I am kind of weird.
Geri
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Interesting, yet in a way very creepy!
Jaime Vicente
I read this wayback my highschool years and was really amazed.. young and naive as I was.. Then the dream of traveling to these places where the Incorruptibles are kept unfolded.
Amanda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Catholic, I will admit I do not know as much about the saints as I should, so this book enlightened me much on the topic of the incorruptible saints and beati. I had heard of the phenomenon before (I chose Bernadette as my confirmation name), but I had not known how often incorruptability occurred or that it seemed to occur differently for each one. The lives of the incorruptibles and their various stages and/or lack of decomposition were fascinating, and I think it is an important topic fo ...more
Nicole
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, saints
I've been curious about this book for years and I've finally had the chance to read it. 3 stars, because it's not stellar writing - just puts the facts out there. But....oh, such interesting, fascinating facts. You can't just sit and read it through, because it's case after case after case, and they will all run together. I found it best to read about a few saints per sitting.

The book's cover photo of St. Bernadette Soubirous of Lourdes is of one of the better preserved incorruptibles. It's amaz
Liz Williams
More an anthology than a study

The summary describes this as a study of the phenomenon of incorruption, but it is really a collection of short hagiographies of saints whose bodies are or at one time were incorrupt, with a brief afterword and slightly longer introduction. No explanations are offered, either of the scientific or theological questions raised by the phenomenon. Nonetheless, the accounts are quite interesting in themselves.
Francis C. Fischer
Quite a fascinating book. One writer says he's used it to good effect for holy hour devotion. I can see how that could be. Ms. Cruz is a lovely and we'll proven author. And once again she has created an uplifting and fine book. It has stood the test of time and is a blessing.
Kristi Doucet
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

Good read. Enjoyed learning about each saint and how they lived their lives. The graces and faith of each one is so hopeful.
Kathy Lama
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating book!
Angela
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't quite finish. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.
Maggie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
I think the absolute mystery and miracles that tell the Church's history are some of the most wonderful parts of the faith. I simply cannot get enough of the little factoids and details surrounding Catholicism, the fantastical elements and the regular people who don't seem so regular to a regular person like me. The Incorruptibles does a fantastic job documenting Saints of the Catholic Church who are or were at one point Incorrupt. When I had finished, I wondered how many Catholics there might b ...more
L
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Incorruptibles- by Joan Carroll Cruz- Written in 1977, this book chronicles the lives of all 102 Saints, Beati, and Venerables whose bodies have been discovered in the state of incorruption. The author details the investigations by the Catholic Church, and medical authorities, in documenting these bodies which lack proper decomposition. Some of the bodies were found in damp graves, or whose caskets or clothing had deteriorated around the uncorrupted bodies. Some bodies were even buried in li ...more
Colleen
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, catholic
Pretty solid work.

This is not a book that you can read in just a few sittings. It is more of an encyclopedic work and is good for referring back to as a reference. I must say, I was surprised at the sheer number of saints who are/were incorruptible. Some saints have a pretty lengthy description, while others are very brief. It is a good mix of very well known saints (Saint Teresa of Avila, Saint Vincent de Paul) and lesser known saints (Blessed Maria Assunta Pallotta, Blessed Mary Bagnesi).

I mos
Lawrence Miquelon
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating. A bit too Catholic for me but the sheer volume of accounts make this difficult to ignore. It reminds me of the verse, "Thou shall not allow thy holy one to undergo decay." I recommend it to anyone with an interest in the supernatural. You may connect some of these accounts with your own experience of the holy spirit.
Aug 27, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A pick up and learn, put down and return later, sorta book. It examines the stages of 'corruption' of a body, the various saints whose bodies have been found incorrupt and etc. It's a lot of information, but fascinating.
Atlantis
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astounding, mind-boggling collection of Catholics (some who were venterated, beatified or obtained full sainthood) whom after death their bodies did not decay in the natural way . Would recommend to anyone. Well documented and easy to read.
Bonnie Munn
Jun 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the subject of incorruptible bodies' of saints
Fascinating. Easy to read, broken down into quick chapters. Very inspiring.
Teressa
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Different saint, same story... over and over.
Kimberly
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book of miracles of the human body.
Maria
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these types of books. It's amazing and I want to read more about it.
Emma
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, religion
Fun to read. Kind of world of wonder that often makes one smile. Currious is the word.
Fabie2t
I think this site is dreadful.
Ange
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book to pick up and read a few chapters at a time. Interesting to learn about so many Holy saints who have been preserved from decay, at least for awhile.
Araceli
For those who would like to know a basic overview of the saint's life, this book would be a perfect read.
April
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
Great stories of many incorrupt saints. Would've been better with more pictures, and all in color. Beautiful faith builder.
DJ
Jun 25, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Having read 'Rag and Bone', I've just requested this one from another library.

• Letter to a Suffering Church: A Bishop Speaks on the Sexual Abuse Crisis
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Spirit of One Earth: Reflections on Teilhard De Chardin and Global Spirituality
  • The Science Fiction Reference Book: A Comprehensive Handbook and Guide to the History, Literature, Scholarship, and Related Activities of the Science
  • Satanism: The Seduction of America's Youth
  • Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo
  • Charles Schwab's Guide to Financial Independence: Simple Solutions for Busy People
  • The Case for Miracles: A Journalist Investigates Evidence for the Supernatural
  • Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
  • The Blue Zones Solution: Eating and Living Like the World's Healthiest People
  • The Devil's Web
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
  • Hiroshima
  • Church of Spies: The Pope's Secret War Against Hitler
  • The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)
  • Rerouting: Finding Our Way Back to God and His Church
  • Heaven Starts Now: Becoming a Saint Day by Day
Mrs. Cruz is a native of New Orleans, LA, and was educated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. She was a member of the Discalced Carmelite Secular Order for 50 years and received the Mother Teresa Award in 2005.

Mrs. Cruz was the author of 15 Catholic books, all of which received the imprimatur. She was perhaps best known for her writings on miraculous occurrences of faith which she compiled throu

News & Interviews