Start by marking “Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology” as Want to Read:
Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology

Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology

Digital technology has become a ubiquitous feature of modern life. Our increasingly fast-paced world seems more and more remote from the world narrated in Scripture. But despite its pervasiveness, there remains a dearth of theological reflection about computer technology and what it means to live as a faithful Christian in a digitally-saturated society.

In this thoughtful a
Published April 29th 2015 by IVP Academic (first published April 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shaping a Digital World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaping a Digital World

Start your review of Shaping a Digital World: Faith, Culture and Computer Technology
Steve
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Derek Shuurman, professor of Computer Science at Redeemer, Ontario, has done all Christian technophobes and technophiles a favour. He has written a superb book on how to view technology from a Christian perspective. This book could be described as Creation Regained upgraded for a computer age.

Like Al Wolter's Creation Regained, Schuurman writes from an unashamedly neo-calvinist perspective. Kuyperian themes are embedded in the book. The first chapter introduces technology and exposes the myth th
Felipe
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monergismo
A useful account of the biblical implications of technology.
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A #sundayquickreads about how technology and faith interact and harmonize. Technology can be used for both good and bad, but the underlying idea is that technology is like everything else in this world: broken by the fall, but used for and in redemption. A more specific focal point than the more encompassing discussion in Gotham, the ideas are still similar and a good reminder of what I read and discussed a couple of years ago.
Stephen
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schuurman provides an insightful discussion on technology and computer science from a neo-calvinist perspective. Recommended to those who seek to bring all areas of life under the lordship of Christ.
Brian Taylor
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing look into the world of technology and computers specifically. The idea of subject of integrating faith, computers and culture in a book is not new, but Schuurman's views as presented in this very thought provoking book gives the reader much to consider about the technology that we have come to know and understand, as well as how we as Christians should be acknolwedging our "cultural mandate" to redeem it.

There are portions of this book which when reading it remind you of
Luana Baratta
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente livro! Nos leva a pensar se estamos usando a internet com ética e se estamos idolatrando a tecnologia nos tempos atuais. Onde expressa também que a informação não é neutra e devemos tomar nossa responsabilidade de transmitir Cristo através do nosso uso das tecnologias, usar para fazer o bem aos homens.
Daniel Markin
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Just like Black Mirror, technology isn't bad, we just mess it up. ...more
Taylor Barkley
A short overview. Unique for the genre in that the author is a trained computer scientist. Its bibliography and citations are one sided, I think. It misses the middle ground.
Leandro Dutra
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Ðe following review I wrote while annoyed by unruly fellow airplane passengers leaviŋ þeir small children uſe noiſy electronic toys, so I may have lacked long-sufferiŋ.

It is quite grave that Schuurman speaks as looſely as he does, never riſiŋ above the common ſenſe, on a falſely so called teχnology — properly defined it is the ſtudy of teχnique, and that he does not do, doing little more than enumeratiŋ politically correct talking points in a neoevangelical varnish. His inſufficiency in dealiŋ w
Josiah
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This book was a surprisingly well-researched book that managed to combine elements from sophisticated philosophers, computer engineers, neo-Kuyperian thinkers, and contemporary technology theorizers to create a fairly complex and varied work. Unfortunately, for me, I found that a lot of the great parts of the book ended up being from the other thinkers that he referenced and quoted, rather than from his own unique thoughts. There were some elements of his neo-Kuyperian look at the issue that wer ...more
Brian
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vocation, computers
Quick read that tried to do too much in too little space. I picked it up thinking it was geared toward those working in technology (in retrospect, I'm not sure why I thought that). However, the book also attempted to address consumer issues and matters of public policy, which watered down the content. It seems that the author had lofty goals for the book which were then cut down to size by the publisher, as a lot of thoughts are unexplored or presented without sufficient background.

The constant
Jonathan
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended in some Christian blog or magazine or something I had seen. What a bad recommendation. Unless the last 20 pages (which I just could not bring myself to finish) house some truly miraculous insights, this book was extraordinarily obvious throughout, offering almost nothing novel and interesting. If you have never, ever remotely considered how technology relates to theology and faith, this book MIGHT provide a useful framework. But if you are considering this book, you almost c ...more
Jan
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Derek C Schuurman an associate professor of computer science and chair of the Mathematics/physics, computer science department at Redeemer University in Ontario. He also is a speaker and researcher in the area of robotics and computer vision as well as faith and technology issues. I guess I am not a deep enough scholar, as I could see the relevance to spirituality but the talk was way over my head. The format was good, discussion questions important and his research for ...more
Harriette
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I attended an engaging workshop by this author in the fall and was refreshed by reading the book on which it was based. Too often we think of technology as a neutral entity. Schuurman points out that each technology has a built-in worldview that affects its users, whether they realize it or not. This balanced approach to computer technology through the lens of Reformed thought has something to say to those who love computers, those who use them and those who eschew them.
Calvin Sun
A short and insightful read targeted at a generation that may find itself indifference to the advances of technology. The author tackled the subject by defining technology as non-neutral cultural activity with a structure and direction. This definition is then compare to biblical worldview and eschatology. Great read overall, especially for young christians and believers in any tech. industries!
Justin Ariel
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture, theology
What a refreshing book! Schuurman does us a great service in bringing the neo-Calvinist framework to bear on questions of technology and computer science. Taking the structure of creation-fall-redemption-consummation as his organizing framework, he argues against technicism, reductionism and for governing norms (Dooyeweerd) for the way we think about the digital world.
Waxin
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Helpful overview framework to consider the relationship between technological development and human beings. I particularly find the Modal Aspect of Creation and the analysis of technology in such framework helpful.

Style wise: very structured and concise.
Arnold Sikkema
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in technology, computing, and/or Christian philosophy and worldview
If you are interested in Christian worldview thinking at all, read this book! It's not just about computer science, but explains some great foundational ideas anyone can apply in their own sphere of life. ...more
Victor Chininin
Sep 13, 2020
Luke
Dec 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place
  • The Unquenchable Flame: Discovering the Heart of the Reformation
  • Estudios sobre el amor
  • Marching Off the Map: Inspire Students to Navigate a Brand New World
  • Teaching Across Cultures: Contextualizing Education for Global Mission
  • The HyperDoc Handbook: Digital Lesson Design Using Google Apps
  • Harnessing Technology for Deeper Learning: (A Quick Guide to Educational Technology Integration and Digital Learning Spaces) (Solutions for Creating the Learning Spaces Students Deserve)
  • Networked Theology: Negotiating Faith in Digital Culture
  • Digital Leadership: Changing Paradigms for Changing Times
  • Social LEADia: Moving Students from Digital Citizenship to Digital Leadership
  • Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling
  • Renegade Leadership: Creating Innovative Schools for Digital-Age Students
  • Pecados aceitáveis
  • Reinventing Jesus: How Contemporary Skeptics Miss the Real Jesus and Mislead Popular Culture
  • Brasil polifônico: Os evangélicos e as estruturas de poder