Start by marking “Lady Danger (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Danger (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch #1)

Lady Danger

(The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  3,471 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
THE WARRIOR MAIDS OF RIVENLOCH….

Damsels in shining armor…riding to the rescue!

Deirdre, Helena, and Miriel, three kick-arse Scots wenches, aren’t about to become any man’s chattel, until they meet heroes who are strong enough to tame their wild ways and worthy enough to win their wayward hearts.

Born to the blade and raised to fear no one, Deirdre of Rivenloch never shies aw
Published July 29th 2012 by Glynnis Campbell (first published 2006)

Jessica
I don't normally rate or review books I don't finish, but since I couldn't find any other reviews that mention what bothered me, I thought I'd do one for all those other readers like me.

The story in general did seem interesting: three sisters trying to keep their castle running and safe in face of possible invasion while hiding their father's mental incapacity.

The problem was the "romance." The male lead rapes the female lead, but it is clear that the author doesn't view her own scene as rape, e
Hollie
This was one tough wench!

What an entertaining read this turned out to be!! I thought it would be just another cheesy freebie, but oh how wrong I was. This book has it all:

* A strong heroine
* A creative plot unlike anything I have read before
* A hot alpha male with some heart
* Sword fighting princesses who play by their own rules
* Excitement (I never once grew tiresome of this plot)
* No insta-love - it was nice seeing a relationship develop over time
* It even managed to have some humorous moments
Candace
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deirdre is one of three sisters known as the Warrior Maids of Rivenloch. Good with the sword and other implements of war, she defends Castle Rivenloch along side her sister, Helena. Deirdre, being the oldest, feels she must sacrifice herself as bride to the conquering Normans.

Sir Pagan of Cameliard with his Norman knights have come at the King's request to secure Castle Rivenloch from the renegade English. Pagan doesn't believe in maidens fighting in battle. When he claims stewardship of the cas
Carla
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF (10%)

The book starts off with the hero spying on the warrior sisters while they're bathing, which makes him regret he didn't bed a woman he met at his last stop.

When he's discovered, he blames the girls, for showing themselves so wantonly in public.

Shortly after that, he decides he'll imprison Deirdre for challenging him after she found him spying on them (as if the place didn't belong to her and her sisters until now, but him, by the way), and marry the quiet, innocent youngest sister, beca
Ally
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Strong Women Kick Serious Arse

So look, there was nothing earth shattering here. But at the same time, there was nothing awful. In fact, it's a totally well written book with adventure, ass kicking, strong women, strong men. There was no arch villain twisting his mustache screaming "You must pay the rent!". This was a book about relationships: family, lovers, friends, serving wenches, warriors. And I loved it.

Heroine: what can I say? Diedre had a few moments where I wanted to fist punch her thro
Clare O'Beara
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great fun to be had in this detail-laden romance set in a Scots Borders castle. The three daughters of the laird are stewarding the castle Rivenloch as their elderly father becomes increasingly bewildered. The King of Scotland however decides that a Norman knight and his troop must be sent to hold the castle against English invaders, and this means marrying the knight to any of the girls in order that her people will be loyal. All does not go smoothly. A bit confusing as the Normans ruled Englan ...more
Gio
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Re-Read

Taste Have Changed And Now I Hate It.

Safety Gang
(view spoiler)
Zøe Haslie
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
· “Marriage was man and wife, side by side as they were now, sharing life’s adventures and battling its challenges…together. It was an alliance forged of the finest steel, tempered in the fires of adversity, and thus blessed by unrivaled strength.” ·

Let me start by saying…

This was so much better than I anticipated! I’m gonna go ahead and confess that what I love the most about Historical Romance as a genre is that it’s full of clichés and it rarely ever lets me down. I know I’m gonna have some
Ingrid Hall
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deidre of Rivenloch is one of the most compelling, kick ass, medieval heroines that I have EVER come across. Not only has she spent her entire life defending her family in their remote Scottish castle but she is now faced with the prospect of having to reluctantly dupe the shagtastic Sir Pagan Cameliard into marriage in order to spare her younger sister from the ordeal of marrying him. ORDEAL. What ordeal? This guy is absolutely oozing sex appeal!

Unlike a lot of the hastily written bodice ripper
Ajà
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This book in one sentence: Fierce scottish warrior Deirdre becomes engaged to Sir Pagan Cameliard, a norman knight who doesn't believe women should be allowed to fight; sparks ensue.
My rating: ⭐⭐
Steaminess: 🌶🌶🌶
Would I recommend: If you're really into historical romances, sure? It's not typically my favourite genre, but this one was available for free on Kobo. Be prepared for the overuse of the word "loins" and this kind of sex scene: "Like a pinecone exploding upon the fire, his body seemed to b
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Oct 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
I tried getting into this one, I mean it mentioned bad-ass warrior maidens and stubborn alpha hunks who fall hard for their ladies and I was sure it was going to be awesome. Unfortunately the opening scene kind of set the mood for this one and it didn't whole-heartedly improve by the end.

The scene that started the downward spiral of disappointment for me is that the Hero spies the two sisters (eventually sister #3 joins them) while they are bathing naked in a lake/pond or something. He isn't alo
Kath
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author, and is set in Scotland. I've thoroughly enjoyed the story of Deirdre a Warrior maid, she was taught to fight as good as any knight by her father. She and her two sisters run their fathers keep and lands, as his grieving for the loss of their mother and age has taken it's toll on him. The keep is in a prominent position and needs to be kept under Scots rule, it can't fall to the English. The King gives the keep and lands to the care and protection ...more
Miranda
Holy Wow! Finished up this baby last night. I did stay up later than I intended but that's okay because this book was worth the loss of sleep.

I give this one five fantastic stars! Glynnis Campbell is a talented author and I am already started on the second one in this series. First time I've read anything by her. I HIGHLY recommend this book if you like Scottish romances.

The characters absolutely smolder on the pages and the chemistry is stellar. To say the hero is yummy is an understatement. S
Akina
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Madison
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75
C Joy
I liked how stubborn Deirdre was and I can only imagine how she felt making the sacrifice to marry Pagan, who's a Norman. From early on she didn't relinquish control and while she was sometimes unreasonable, it's really endearing because she's strong-willed with conviction.

Pagan was an Alpha male without being an ass. Sure at first he underestimated Deirdre and Helena but eventually she earned his respect because of her ferocity and Loyalty.

I was really excited about the battle scenes and sinc
Clarice
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deirdre is use to leading her land and her people along with her sisters. Sir pagan was sent by his king to take a bride and hold this land. They both will have to learn to trust in each other, share power, find love and passion.
BookWormAli
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. I love books with strong women and I liked that though there were issues between the main characters there was resolution to them as well. I loved Scots and their pride as well as their unique traditions. I thought this was a good blend of all that.

Deidre is a warrior maid and bent on protecting her land and her family. She challenges Pagan at every turn and while her seduces her he also come to learn she is his match and partner. Watching them blossom was fun and engaging.

There
R.C. Matthews
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I have a bit of a love / hate relationship going on with this book. There are moments of brilliance in this book that had me so emotionally invested in the Hero/heroine, that it was truly beautiful. The way that Pagan finally breaks through Deidre's defenses and wins her heart was truly lovely and the tender moments they shared together were well worth the frustrations I experienced with other aspects of the story. A great hero will carry me through a book, and Pagan certainly did that for me. I ...more
Regan Walker
3 and 1/2 Stars - Lighter Scottish Historical with Three Warrior Sisters

I suppose I should say at the outset that I prefer the deep historicals, the ones that reflect the history of Scotland with characters that could have lived then experiencing believable hardships and challenges on the way to love. I knew from the first few pages this was not one of those. So, I readjusted my thinking and accepted this is lighter fare.

Set in the Borderlands between Scotland and England in 1136 (the year Step
Liz Wood
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scots and Normans, Vikings and English

Wars raged throughout Europe as peoples immigrated and emigrated across the land. Such fiefdoms as Rivenloch laced the countryside. The main characters really show us assimilation.
LadyCalico
I remembered liking a previously-read book by Glynnis Campbell, so I was unprepared for how truly awful this re-write of The Taming of the Shrew was going to be. It was literally torture to read, and I couldn't manage more than a few pages at a time, took me forever. The first 75% of the book was the most ridiculous, repetitious, and seemingly endless push/pull nonsense that I ever had the misfortune to try to slog through. After that came a pile of gratuitous sex manual information that needed ...more
Patricia
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The ladies in the lake, and the lads that have to love them.
I love the ladies in the lake. Especially when they turn out to be strong, both mentally and physically. The heroine of "Lady Danger" is Deidre. She and her sisters have run the keep for a while now, as their father has become less and less in touch with reality. Having started out as tomboy, and totally spoiled by their father, the older two ladies (using the word loosely), are used to playing soldier, and are actually pretty good, for
Deba
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlanders
First let me say there are 473 reviews on Amazon and counting. That should give you a clue on the beginning book of this great series (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch Book 1).
I have read all of this series and they are great.

Glynnis Campbell has the practiced ability of telling history through her cleverly built characters. You are taken up in the tale of three sisters—and balanced on the borders of Scotland in 1136. The oldest two girls, Deidre, Helena were known as the Warrior Maids. They had
Chandra
GENRE: Historical Romance

SETTING: 12th century Scotland; Norman invaders

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTERS: (3) sisters; Deirdre, known for deceit and evasion fighting tactics; Helena is strong and quick with weapons; Miriel, a gentle spirit that prefers to take care of the matters of the home.

CENTRAL MALE CHARACTER: Pagan, an arrogant Norman and a quick and clever fighter. Colin, Pagan’s best friend, is humorous but also dangerous with weapons .

SYNOPSIS: He has come to Rivenloch to be the new Steward an
Camille
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deirdra is now oficially the most badass, rocking heroine of all highland romance novels evahhhhh! And I have read so many so trust me. Objectively, I appreciated how well-developed each character in the story was. Even though this was the 1st book in the series, you can immediately tell that the author thought these characters through. kudos! On the other hand, I did not feel the same for the story itself and, especially, the romance between the two leads. No doubt it was quite romantic how Dei ...more
Sm
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deirdre and Pagan - like two swords in a sword fight - or something like that
this turned out to be an adventurous read and pretty funny, too

teehee line - "What are you two doing?" Miriel demanded, her hands on her hips. Behind her, the maid mimicked her posture.
like the rhyme-y line - "What is mud and mire? You, I would carry through ... flood and fire."
teehee line, take 2 - "I wouldn't slay him, I'd only maim him."

that said, a little frustrating at times ...

(view spoiler)
Debbie Saraceni
Wonderful tale of warrior love

This was a fantastic story of sister's forced to take over running and protecting their home Rivenloch. Their father too old and feeble to oversee things. The king was sending a Norman to wed one of the three sisters and take over the keep. Deirdre and Helena were trained as warriors since they were young. They were not happy about a Norman taking over their Scottish home but knew they had to follow kings orders. Pagen knew he had to marry one of them and ended up w
Mily Lou
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not find this book at all great. The female character was angry and childish, it was hard for me to like her. What I do like about this book is that the plot was different than all romance book you find at the store today. Usually all "highlander, Scottish, romance novels are all the same.

The female character gets kidnapped and forced into marriage. It was fun to see the male needed rescuing by a female.

Another thing, that authors do, that bugs me, is that they wait till the end to add the
Kbee
Great, really, really, great Medieval 10th century story.

3 daughters of a heart broken mind loosing tired old Lord of Rivenloch Castle pull together to try and keep the castle in their hands.
Pagan a Norman Knight and Deirdre the oldest and a Maid Warrior had a tough time at first fighting for control on the wrong things.But in the end with the help of time and a little Chinese women everything came around and they finally find love.
Miriel the younger daughter who sees to the well workings of t
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • The Devil of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #1)
  • Wee William's Woman (Clan MacDougall, #3)
  • Christmas Brides
  • My Brave Highlander (Highland Adventure #3)
  • It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)
  • Caleb (Circle Eight, #3)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • Lessons in Loving A Laird (Highland Knaves, #2)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • Seven-Night Stand
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
From http://www.sarahmckerrigan.com/index...

Sarah McKerrigan is another pen name of GLYNNIS CAMPBELL. When she isn’t writing historical romance, she’s the voice of several cartoon characters, the wife of a rock star, and the mother of two nerdy kids.

She started her eclectic career as a ballerina in her hometown of Paradise, California, where she became the city’s Gold Nugget Queen. She graduated f

The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch (3 books)
  • Captive Heart (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch #2)
  • Knight's Prize (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch, #3)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
“her bedside.  She shut her eyes tightly against the sight” 3 likes