Start by marking “Club Vampyre (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Club Vampyre (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-3)

Club Vampyre

(Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1-3)

Club Vampyre brings together the first three Anita Blake novels, this collection looks at the adventures of the woman vampires call The Executioner.

I'm Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable. Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are ju
Published 1997 by Science Fiction Book Club

To ask other readers questions about Club Vampyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Club Vampyre

Stephanie
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery
A few weeks ago, I was feeling pretty overwhelmed and stressed and was looking for a good book to escape in - an engrossing page turner that sucks you in and doesn't require a lot of thinking but also doesn't insult your intelligence. This is where I ended up after a misguided side trip into Charlaine Harris' Dead Until Dark which I,found easy to read but kind of silly.

This volume contains the first 3 books (Guilty Pleasures,The Laughing Corpse and Circus of the Damned) in Laurell K.
Susanne
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes their heroine independent, capable and violent!
Shelves: vampires
This series is not for the faint of heart! There is lots of action, violence and sex! Anita Blake is a kick ass kind of girl who makes no apologies about her habit of making bad people dead. This whole series is a truly inventive look on the modern world of the whole preternatural community: vampires, wereanimals, necromancers, and witches included. If you like fast paced, action packed and no holds barred...this one is for you!
VampireNovelFan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
GUILTY PLEASURES
Guilty Pleasures is Book 1 of the prolonged ongoing saga that is the Anita Blake series. Enter Anita, a necromancer by night and a vampire hunter...by night. You can imagine she has her plate full, raising the dead and staking fanged baddies.

And speaking of which, we meet Nikolaos, a 1,000 year old vampire. She's the most powerful in the city all the while inhabiting a body of a 10-year-old. She's causing a few problems for Anita that leads her to become allies with other v
Jenn
Guilty Pleasures
What a great introduction to this world. Vampires are legal, as in they own businesses and may even get to vote soon. The supernatural isn't hidden anymore. The MC raises zombies for a living. But like when most things change, they are people who protest.

Anita Blake, zombie raiser and legal vampire slayer, understands the supernatural better than most. It is after all her job. When vampire corpses are found brutally murdered, Anita is put on the case - both by the police and the Master
Andrea
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved it and I am so very glad I got a chance to read the Blake books that were created before LKH went off to her male harem dream land and lost the art of making a book worth reading which includes an actual plot and not repetitve sex. I so wish she had kept the books more along this line and kept them growing without losing Anita in sex. It was so wonderful to not have to skip pages/ chapters to get past sex scenes I was tired of reading and having an actual story to read.
Anino
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Reminder of why we love Anita Blake when Ms. Hamilton is spot-on. Love Anita, Jean Claude, & Richard.
cola_bear
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4.5 Stars

I was culling my bookshelves and realized as I was moving books around that I hadn't added these to my page yet :)

I read this book back when it came out, in 1997. This was the first time I'd ever heard of Laurell K Hamilton. I loved vampires (still do!), and adored Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie (and the tv show had just started to air). I'd read the Diana Tregarde series, and Anne Rice, and Bram Stoker...etc, and was looking for something else to read in that vein. I fe
Octavia Cade
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I came across this on a list I'm reading my way through, and I actually read the three collected volumes some time back, so this is just for my own records. The rating is an average of what I gave the individual books: Guilty Pleasures got three stars from me, mostly because I was impressed by the sense of pre-existing world. The Laughing Corpse and Circus of the Damned, on the other hand, only merited two stars each. Basically, I found the same issues cropping up in all three books. Firstly, Anita seems remarkably ( ...more
Kenzi
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Just what I needed, kick-ass Anita!

Good series are hard to come by. I didn't expect much of this saga by the looks of it-but book covers are deceiving and a lot of failed series make you underwhelmed. But this definitely exceeded my expectations. I was laughing and crying and freaking out with ever action of said Anita Blake, bad-ass vampire slayer.

She's very relatable, to me, at least and it's very comforting to read about her drama and her world and vaudun and Masters o
Peter
Mar 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Technically, I didn't finish it but I compromised by at least finishing the story. I never got emotionally anywhere, for me. There were a few moments where I might have connected or started to at least but I never found myself giving enough of a crap. I even forgot who Edward and not wanting to take the time to go back and read it. I read this and Midnight Cafe back in the day as I think I was in a SciFi book club. I can see why I didn't keep it then although I might have been more interested ba ...more
Novelist Dienne
The last book saved this series for me. Out of all the Action in this book the final battle in the 3rd book was wonderful and got me excited.
Jade
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Couldnt keep myself from laughing while trying to read this. Maybe it was good back in 2004 but it did not age well.
L Bongiorno
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BEWARE ALL NEWBIES!!!! This series starts off as one thing (AWESOME) and quickly turns into being about fashion and kinky (not in a good way) sex! Oh, and a lot of taking about sex:/ PATHETIC!!!
Marisa
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Michelle
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
it's been many a year now since the first time i picked up these super fun Anita Blake books, the words that launched a thousand imitators and were pretty well the start of the whole modern-times supernatural adult fantasy/horror/mystery genre (see also: Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Lilith Saintcrow, Kim Harrison, etc etc). this is the first book-club edition of her stuff, comprising books 1,2, and 3 of the series, and up through book 6, this is the best it got.

the series deals with an outward
Tabatha
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Guilty Pleasures
This is the first Anita Blake novel I've read. Gotta say, pondering the possibilities of vampire civil rights legislation can be more fun than the average person should have in a day.
Action packed to the end, there was no wind-down. Once business was done, the book was over. Good thing the next one, The Laughing Corpse is right here in the same volume.
The Laughing Corpse
This one was a lot gorier than the first. But still good, a little more scary. Only thing th
LOL_BOOKS
I ASSUMED SHE HAD ALWAYS BEEN BAD BUT WHEN I READ THE FIRST ANITA BLAKE BOOK THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEN AND NOW RLY IS SHOCKING. ANITA WASN'T A HORRIBLE, THIN-SKINNED WHINER, THERE WAS AN ACTUAL PLOT AND WHILE THE VAMPIRES WERE PRETTY SILLY, IT WAS KIND OF ENTERTAINING. NOW IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF TERRIBLE PEOPLE HAVING TERRIBLE SEX OR SITTING AROUND TALKING ABOUT HAVING TERRIBLE SEX.

I'M THINKING ABOUT REREADING THE EARLY ANITA BLAKES TO SEE IF THEY'RE AWFUL.

THEY'RE AWFUL.<
Christine
This is the book club edition of the first three Anita Blake books. Whether or not, you love or hate the later Blake books, you have to admit that the early books contributed in to the urban fantasy/ paranormal romance genre. There are problems with the books. Anita's back story changes slightly (sometimes in the same book) as does her age, every woman who is more powerful than Anita is bad. However, Anita is a far more sympathetic if not likeable here than in the later books. While Hamilton is ...more
innae
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first three books in the Anita Blake series!

The Laughing Corpse
Circus of the Damned

Hmmmm that last one...naked Richard. Happy day.

Signed by Laurell (in California, I made the trip just to get books signed!)

**July 2017**
I am deciding where to stop my collection of the Anita Blake books (I still enjoy reading them, but there is a point in the series where I don't need to keep the books for re-reading purposes) - so I am sta
Tar’ah
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Each one of theses books tells the exact same story from a person with zero talent for writing. She cannot write. Each book, it seems like, she tries to improve on her ability to be descriptive or tries to retell this same story using better words. It's all a repeat and it's no good. I bought this book because someone wrote a review on Amazon calling it the greatest writing of our time. The cover art is amazing. But like I said, I think Hamilton has no talent and each story is a rip off.
La
Pat
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have to say with all of the hype I've heard on Anita Blake I was disappointed.
I had heard that the beginning of the series was fantastic, awesome, great. I didn't think so. I am now hearing that the last few didn't quite measure up to the rest. That scares me. I started them anyway thinking that if they started getting stale or just not for me I'd stop. I think I've already gotten there. I have so many books on my to-read/review list that I can't waste any more of these.
Very disapp
Clacie
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it
I reviewed each book individually (if you want to read them just look for them by title). I will definitely continue the series, however I'm not sure I like it enough to actually own any more books. I don't think I will be reading any of these for a second time. I'm not even sure I will be able to suggest this to friends yet, with the exception of one friend who may like it. Some books I read & I just have to talk about, this was just something I could mention in passing, but not really rave ...more
Bekah
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my friends had moved out of town and we were determined to keep in touch VIA "snail mail" (I was still fighting the computers at that time), so we would send eachother packages once a week. One of the first packages he sent me was this book. His boyfriend's ex had left it behind, and after he read it, he was sure I would love it. I've loved Laurell K. Hamilton and Anita Blake and her men ever since.
Emilyn
Anita Blake is an animator and a necromancer. She is also a vampire slayer, very petite and an object of interest for the Master of the City of St. Louis. I quite liked the character, although she wasn't always internally consistent (her lack of suspicion of the lamia in the last book seemed very out of character to me).
This series will probably appeal to fans of Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs and Charlaine Harris.
Helga
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I had read the 17th book in the series (Harlequin), so I thought I should go to the beginning and start the series properly. At some point Hamilton diverges from edgy vampire fiction to "sexxing things up"; I'm torn as to whether I should go on to #4 and find out when this happens or leave the series well enough alone. I think I'll leave it alone for now.
Bethnoir
This was more fun than I anticipated and more gory. I really like the character of Anita, she's a tough cookie. I prefer it when her foes aren't decaying, but that's just a personal thing. These first 3 books have convinced me to go and look for more, whilst I wait for the new Kim Harrison book anyway.
Kimberly
I picked up Danse Macarbe on sale some time ago and was intrigued. I began searching for the first books in the Anita Blake series and finally came across this compilation. I am finally up-to-date with the series and I am looking forward to seeing what comes of Hit List which will be released next Tuesday.
Amber
The story is starting to get more interesting and now it is time to get the next book. The first three where not bad, but Not as good as I thought they would be. I do see why some of the newer books get their inspiration, however. I have seen bits and pieces of newer story lines in these three books. I have already started the fourth one.
Jean
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. If you like strong leading women characters in a vampire novel then Anita Blake is right up your alley. I must say that I was taken with Jean-Claude and am curious to read more about him. This book was full of action, sex, and the paranormal.
Ruth Taylor
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by one of my closest friends, and to be honest had never heard of the author or character. However, once I started to read I could not put this book down. It is a wonderful take on the vampire/slayer story line.

• Dead Witches Tell No Tales (The Hollows, #3-4)
  • Dead by Day (Sookie Stackhouse, #4-5)
  • Betsy the Vampire Queen (Undead, #1-4)
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • Novels by Laurell K. Hamilton: Cerulean Sins, Skin Trade, Flirt
  • Vampires, Wine, and Roses
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
  • A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files, #7)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
  • Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2)
  • The Vampire Sextette
  • Lies & Omens (Shadows Inquiries, #4)
  • The Vampire Archives
  • One Deadly Sin
  • Wizard at Large (The Dresden Files Omnibus, #3)
  • The Blood Books, Volume II (Omnibus: Blood Lines / Blood Pact)
  • I Hunger for You (Primes, #3)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)