Start by marking “The Land of the Shadow (The End of All Things #2)” as Want to Read:
The Land of the Shadow (The End of All Things #2)

The Land of the Shadow

(The End of All Things #2)

In the highly anticipated stand-alone sequel to The End of All Things, Lissa Bryan returns readers to a world devastated by disease, and the breakdown of modern society.

Two years after a horrific virus swept the globe, decimating the world’s population, Carly Daniels and her husband, Justin, have made a safe home in the isolated southern town of Colby. Protected by fences
Published August 21st 2014 by The Writer's Coffee Shop

To ask other readers questions about The Land of the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land of the Shadow

Mei
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
It was good, but not as good as the first one.

I was slightly annoyed by how Carly has been behaving here. In the first book I had the impression that she understood and accepted that the world as it was before the Ifection doesn't exist anymore, but here all I got is that she still doesn't realize it.

In an environment where everything is threatening you, your loved ones, al you can think is that you must do everything, even if stupid and without aby logic, to make things like they were before?!?
AnnMarie
*Full Review Now Posted!*

An amazing read!

Lissa Bryan does it again with the continuation of this series that left me a gah from book 1!

There is nothing better than loving the next book in a series!! It makes all the lack of patience and whining I did waiting for this release well worth it!

Meeting up with our old friends and the introduction of new ones really gave us a robust story line that just had me turning the page wanting more and more.

And if you read Tales from the End (The End of All Th
Meikstr
I absolutely loved this sequel. There was so much love and heartache.... Progress and repression,yet it all blended together with admirable characters and fantastic world building. Looking forward to more from Lissa bryan.
Kathie (katmom)

HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!!!

I truly loved the first book in this series, The End of All Things The End of All Things The End of All Things (The End of All Things #1) by Lissa Bryan. And I was incredibly anxious for this one to be finished. WORTH THE WAIT!

Ms. Bryan has crafted this book so it can stand alone. She deftly inserted enough back story to catch you up, while not dragging us down with an overload of information. I love it when an author can do that for us.

TLotS begins a few months after TEoAT. Colby is coming along. It's not thriving, but that's not fo
Sarah Beth
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
**I received an ARC for a honest review**

If you like realistic dystopian stories, these books are for you!

First off, let me preface this review by saying I absolutely loved the first book in this series, The End of All Things, and the follow-up short stories Tales from the End. To really enjoy this book you should read both of those before delving in to this one.

At the beginning of "The Land of the Shadow", we find Carly and Justin a few months after the end of "The End of All Things". They are
Julie
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review of the Land of the Shadow by Lissa Bryan

This book is the sequel to the End of All Things and picks up months where book 1 left off. Carly and Justin have come so far and survived so much. When life continues going on in this new world they have to keep moving forward with the many challenges each new dawn seems to bring. The couple has their own daughter to care for and now an adopted son as well as the community that they lead.

Things are going, but they aren’t easy. There are f
M.B.
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***ARC provided by TWCS and Netgalley in response for an honest review***

If you've read my review of the first book in this series, you'll know how much I loved it! So, when I knew this, the second in what I believe will be a trilogy, was available on Netgalley, I grabbed it as soon as possible.
This book picks up a few months after The End of All Things, with Justin, Carly, and their baby Dagny, in Colby trying to rebuild their community. It seems to be pretty much working, despite the lack of p
Jack D. Mason
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So happy for this sequel!

So happy for this sequel!

I am thrilled to be reading this sequel to one of my favorite "read agains". The middle book in a trilogy is always a transition tale. We still see Justin's little family, but they have been joined by a community of like-minded survivors. Everyone has to accept a new normal in society, as the rules constantly change. An excellent book, by one of my favorite authors!
Jedigirlsc
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and exciting story, a great follow up to the End of All Things. The story ended with a little bit of a cliffie so I can't wait for the next story of the series!

Thank you Lissa for sharing your writing talent with all of us!
Passion For Pages
Reviews on Passion for Pages

Anyone who read my review of The End of All Things knows I loved the first book in this series. Lissa Bryan is a very talented story teller and has a way of pulling the reader in and making them care about her characters in a way I’m sure she does as well.

I was really looking forward to this one. Justin and Carly where just one of those couples I could never really forget about so I was excited to see where their journey had taken them.

The Land of the Shadow takes pla
Jeanne McDonald
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to say this book is a terrific continuation of the first novel The End of All Things. Let me start off by saying that I know everyone says these books can be stand alones and while that could be true, I feel that much would be lost if you didn’t read one without the other. Lissa is great at bringing back important pieces of information from Justin and Carly’s past from book one, but if you hadn’t experienced those memories with the two characters then you would feel sort of lost in regard ...more
Melissa Snow
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have waited ever-so-patiently for "The Land of the Shadow" to be released. I was so excited and grateful to receive a ARC and let me say that it was well worth the wait!

Let me say that when I started the book on Saturday, the story was only enhanced by the fact that there is an actual unprecedented outbreak of Ebola and the first case ever of Ebola being treated on U.S. soil was in the process of taking place. This gave the read a chilling effect. When I hit page 97 and read the following quot
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
As a second book, this story was quite exciting and took the series into a great direction. While the first book focused on the immediate aftermath of the disaster, this book is all about starting to rebuild and learning how to live in a new world. Like my comparison in the first book, this book reminded me of Sunrise (Ashfall #3) by Mike Mullin, but with an adult setting.

I really appreciated how realistic the story felt in terms of the actions the characters took. It was interesting to see how
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I don't normally read a lot of dystopian type books, but this is the follow up to The End of All Things which I really enjoyed so I had to see how the story continued. Justin and Carly are raising their daughter Dagney in the town of Colby. The town has shut itself off from the rest of the world as much as it can to prevent The Infection from hitting them again. (sort of reminded me of that TV show Jericho from a few years back). They are dealing with normal issues - trying to grow enough food f ...more
Amanda
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading The End of All Things, I could not wait for the second book to come out, and I was not disappointed. Whereas The End of All Things narrates Carly and Justin's journey to find a place to settle, The Land of the Shadow describes their quest to start a community and build a new life. You can read this as a stand-alone work, but I definitely recommend starting with The End of All Things.

Bryan's strengths in this book are much like those of her other work: describing with excellent bu
FS Meurinne
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, reviews, netgalley
"Received and ARC for an honest review"

An more than amazing sequel by Lissa, she is an extremely good writer, so this book I knew was going to be good, but I never thought it would surpass the other.

This book starts two years after the Infection. Carly and Justin are struggling to get a normal life in Colby, but it is quite different as people start wanting to take what they can, which is quite realistic in my point of view if anything like that actually happen.

The book is left open of a third
Annie
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Before you start reading The Land of the Shadow (The End of All Things #2), make sure that you have set aside the time to read it in one sitting. I learned from my experiences reading Lissa's previous masterpieces. So, although I pre-ordered this book like many other fans, I saved it for my long weekend reading.

It was worth it!! It was amazing to follow Carly while she worked with Justin to build a new world. I loved every minute of it.

I truly hope that there is a 3rd book because I have so man
Sandra "Jeanz"
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
INITIAL THOUGHTS
As dystopia/post apocalyptic are my favourite genres I was already really looking forward to this book. I was also impatient to be finding out how the characters of Carly, Justin and Dagny were doing. Were they succeeding in re-creating a little community? I also wondered if we would learn anymore about how the virus.

MY REVIEW
I received an e-copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. The cover of the book is quite dark but then that represents the times tha
Karen Jenkins
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Fabulous story yet so very sad and disturbing. Great characters, great plot and a wonderful continuation of a story of the world ending, not with fire and brimstone but with a brutal plague. Focus is on how people survive and who survive. I highly recommend these books.
Sri
Okay, the cover is growing on me. I like how the characters are now closer on the cover as they are in the book. I got this book as well from the author in a giveaway and I was very excited to read it after I read its prequel. The book was actually lovely and I'm really happy to see that the potaagonists haven't lost themselves in trying to keep the community upright.

Good things: There is a natural progression to their relationship. Parenting, responsibilities, grief, survival, sustenance - the
The Hive
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jeanne's Review:
Catherine
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received this book from Cindy Bidwell to read and review as a member of her blog tour group.

After reading the previous book I then moved on to read the second book "The Land of Shadows" this book was about the rebuilding of Colby's community following the outbreak of the infection after Carly and Justin had arrived. It shows how people pull together to fight things and then are determined to carry on when it doesn't work out how they hope. The reader also sees some of the community
Miriam
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why would you want to read another book set in the future after a pandemic? Great question. Set in a future devastated by a flu pandemic? Lissa Bryan brings the trials and tests of rebuilding life after most people die when a virus strikes almost everyone, except those who got the flu vaccine from one particular drug company. At least that's what Carly Daniels thinks. The author knows better and provides hints throughout the second installment of "The End of All That" series.

In the Land of the
Michelle (Adventure in Bookland)
The Land of Shadows begins where The End of All Things leaves off. Carly and Justin have been building a community after tragedy hit them one they joined. The first part of the book showed what they have done and were going to build up Colby again. Since it was about the rebuild the pace of the book was a bit slower. It wasn’t until we show a real threat did the book pick up.
I was a huge fan of the love story between Carly and Justin in the first book, and now that their family is going with th
EmilyRose
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, with an ending like that I'm expecting a third book!

As I said before, I wasn't a huge fan of the Colby section at the end of the first book and it was mainly because it wasn't as action-packed/nerve-wracking as the rest of the book. Saying that, this second book was a bit of a slow read (for me) because it was again mostly focused in the town, getting it running and such.

Besides that fact, it was quite enjoyable. The story continued nicely and I really liked that the stories from Tales Fr
Debbe
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hungry for more!

The author chose a delightfully different direction for a familiar doomsday theme. The characters are rich with personality and sometimes edged with all too real painful scenarios. There are choices to be made as they each fight their own inner demons and come to terms with the loss of the old American dream and slowly build the new American dream. A special thank you to the author for including my second love PETS (reading is my first love), their inclusion and contribution to t
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Reminiscent of The Walking Dead, with Pearl as Michonne and Marcus’s baddies as those dudes at Terminus. Lissa Bryan has considered a lot of aspects of life after an apocalyptic event. Interesting to see where that late development will lead in the next book.
Gail Mchugh
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this series. The characters are great. The animals are great. I was sad about the little bulldog. I have to say Ms. Bryan you certainly do know how to pull at my heartstrings. Keep going Justin and Carly and all your extended family................ keep going.
Babus
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic series! This book picks up with Justin and Carly adjusting to life in Colby. They help the residents figure out a way to continue on and attempt to thrive. The book ends in somewhat of a cliff hanger, but the third book will be out soon. Love, love, LOVE this series!!
Hilda
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lissa Bryan did it again!! I loved this book and can't wait to read the next one. I'm so amazed at all of the research that must have gone into this series. It's hard to pull of a believable apocalyptic book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mountain Charm (Appalachian Hearts, #2)
  • How to Get Ainsley Bishop to Fall in Love With You (How to Survive High School)
  • Renewing Hope (In Your World, #2)
  • How to Reprimand Your Rock Star (DommeNation, #2)
  • Blue Balls and Push-Up Bras (Blue Balls, #1)
  • On the Edge
  • Tormented (The Gates Legacy, #2)
  • Summer Heat (Beach Reads, #1)
  • The Single Game (The Apartment Novels, #3)
  • Until We Break
  • Vigil
  • The Duality Principle (The Portland Rebels, #1)
  • My Mr. Manny (My Manny Book 1)
  • For Authentication Purposes
  • Late Night with Andres
  • More Than Friends (More #1)
  • The Masterpiece (Work of Art, #3)
Lissa Bryan is an astronaut, renowned Kabuki actress, Olympic pole vault gold medalist, Iron Chef champion, and scientist who recently discovered the cure for athlete's foot.... though only in her head. Real life isn't so interesting, which is why she spends most of her time writing.

She is the author of four novels, Ghostwriter, Under These Restless Skies, The End of All Things and its sequel, La

The End of All Things (4 books)
  • The End of All Things (The End of All Things #1)
  • Shadows Have Gone (The End of All Things #3)
  • Dominion