Start by marking “Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit” as Want to Read:
Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit

Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit

A wonderfully funny, free to download, Christmas story featuring Jeeves and Wooster, from one of the funniest writers in the world, P.G Wodehouse.

An unexpected invite throws the Christmas plans of Bertie Wooster and his long- suffering valet, Jeeves, into disarray. Rather than the Winter sun of Monte Carlo, Jeeves and Wooster find themselves spending Christmas at Skelding
ebook
Published December 12th 2013 by Cornerstone Digital (first published December 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit

Start your review of Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit
Charles  van Buren
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story is no longer available from Amazon as a Kindle standalone. The collection, Jeeves and the Yule-tide Spirit is still listed in the Amazon store but is not available for purchase or download except as a hard copy. The short story, JEEVES AND THE YULE-TIDE SPIRIT read by Nick Martin, is currently available on youtube. The story was originally published in 'The Strand Magazine' in Britain and in 'Liberty' in the U.S. Both appeared in December, 1927. The story has been adapted for both rad ...more
Chrisanne
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Who wouldn't want Jeeves around? ...more
Kathryn Parry
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a charming tale. Anyone who loves P.G Wodehouse will love this story.
Smashing Reads
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
What I know about the stories of P.G. Wodehouse, specifically, the Jeeves stories, I can count on one hand - they are about an Edwardian rich toff called Bertie Wooster and his valet, Jeeves, and that there was a series of TV adaptions starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, in the 1990s.

So when I spotted this free story on Amazon, I decided to take a punt.

Bertie is invited to stay with the family of his heart's desire, Bobbie Wickham. Despite Jeeves' remarks about her not being the right woman fo
lauren
*2.5 stars

A brilliant little story introducing me to P.G Woodhouse and his famous series of Jeeves and Wooster. I really enjoyed the character of Jeeves, and I’m quite excited to expand further into the realm of Woodhouse and his stories. I really think he’ll be an author I enjoy if his writing is as fun and entertaining as this one!
Briony
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect Yule-tide Hors d'oeuvre.

A charming short, good for easing you in to festive reading. Definitely brought on a smile or two. Lost a star purely because I could not remember a main plot point and had to go back and reread.
James
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Starting to understand the style of P G Wodehouse and the ‘Jeeves and Wooster’ stories. Rather an easy and jolly read this one. All I can say is “Well, isn’t Jeeves a cunning fellow!!”
CHRISTINA ORGAN
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have never read PGWoodhouse before and loved the wry humour and use of language. Amusing, beautifully written short stories
Tracey
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good old Jeeves. Light Christmas read, very enjoyable.
Mr G Barlow
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good chuckle as expected.
Julie
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant short story: )
M-N
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love Jeeves and Wooster in this seasonal escapade
Sally
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love a bit of Jeeves and Wooster - this is a lovely short story I picked up free on Amazon. I shall henceforth guard my hot water bottle.
Jan 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Very dry.
Renee
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love P.G. Wodehouse and the Jeeves & Wooster TV series, but have mixed feelings about this short story. I knew the hot water bottle story already, thanks to the TV series, and it might as well have been set in the height of summer--there's little Yule-tide Spirit. But it is Wodehouse, so you get plenty of giggles and smirks.

One favorite Bertie quote:

"As Shakespeare says, if you're going to do a thing you might just as well pop right at it and get it over. The man would be disappointed, of cou
David
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, comedy
Short free-to-download (form Amazon) Jeeves story, in which Bertie Wooster is off to Skelding Hall to stay with Lady Wickham and her daughter Bobbie, the latest of Wooster's desires in a change of plans from their intended visit to Monte Carlo

Also staying are Roderick and Tuppy Glossop, leading Bertie to (attempt to) get his own back on Tuppy for a previous slight, with his (or Bobbie's) plan involving a hot water bottle and a darning needle ...

Needless to say, things go wrong once again, and Je
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I just love Wodehouse but unlike most people I don’t consider that stories involving Jeeves & Wooster are his best. I have to say I enjoy the Blandings series or his stand-alone books a lot more. Still, I try to read every single Wodehouse story I can get my hands on so I couldn’t let this one pass!

This is a short, amusing story with things going terribly wrong for Bertie and Jeeves saving the day, as usual. Not terribly original but enjoyable nonetheless.
Aditya Mallya
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Awfully sorry about all this." I said in a hearty sort of voice. "The fact is, I thought you were Tuppy."

"Kindly refrain from inflicting your idiotic slang on me. What do you mean by the adjective 'tuppy'?"

"It isn't so much an adjective, don't you know. More of a noun. I should think, if you examine It squarely. What I mean to say is. I thought you were your nephew."

"You thought I was my nephew? Why should I be my nephew?"
Rachel
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j, female-author
A lovely, witty short story, perfect for Christmas and all the better for being free. Jeeves and Wooster are up to their same old tricks, pulling pranks on other members of the household before Christmas, exacerbated by the fact that they were meant to be going to Monte Carlo and that Wooster is in love with a girl in the house he is staying. Needless to say Jeeves gets his trip to Monte Carlo.
Nick Phillips
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Having just read What Ho! Gods of the Abyss by Alan Moore, being a pastiche of the style of Wodehouse in a mashup with that of H.P. Lovecraft I felt the need to revisit Bertie and pals in their original form and came across this seasonal offering on Amazon.

I've not read Wodehouse for around 25 years and I'm glad to say that it is still good for a chuckle.
Steven
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Jeeves & Wooster TV series and this was my first foray into the works it was based on. It was as funny and witty as I hoped it might be. Jeeves always has everything under control hasn't he, eh! ...more
Gem
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
A Christmas story that had not much to do with Christmas at all!

Having said that, this was quick and easy and fun to read. Not something I would usually pick up and I'm not sure that I would go out of my way to read more.
Emmalg
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short story, though I personally rate it at 3.5 stars. For the first time in my life, I think I prefer the TV series to the book as Jeeves' activities are clearer and Wooster seems easier to like in the 3rd person. ...more
Mr Alex Maunders
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Festive cheer from Bertie.

This is a short story set, unsurprisingly around the festive period. The 23rd, 24th & 25th to be precise. It's classic Jeeves and Wooster and just right to read whilst digesting the Christmas dinner.
R.
Would someone PLEASE tell me who is the star of this series. Is it Wooster or is it Jeeves ? Wooster so silly, and Jeeves so cunning and shrewd. Poor Wooster, he doesn't have a chance.
And, of course, hilarious as usual
Mark
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
A short but mildly amusing story.
Ben
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
Short jolly Christmas jape. Rollicking good fun, what!
Angela
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, humour, kindle
A most enjoyable Christmas short story! Very typical english humour.
James Kidd
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant as ever. Wodehouse is unparalleled as a writer of comic fiction. Just the tonic old boy on a grey January morn.
Saira
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free Download - Having never read any P.G.Wodehouse I enjoyed this short snippet, and will look out for more by this author now :-)

• Christmas is Murder: A Traditional Christmas / A Wife in a Million
  • A Maigret Christmas: And Other Stories
  • Just William (Just William, #1)
  • Crossroads: In Search of the Moments that Changed Music
  • Hillary's Back! (DI Hillary Greene, #18)
  • Lady Windermere's Fan
  • The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Hercule Poirot, #35)
  • Wrapped Up in You
  • I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again
  • The Moonglow Cafe (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #2)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • If I Never Met You
  • Releasing The Gods (The Titan's Saga #1)
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold
  • A Fatal Mistake (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #2)
  • Fey Touched: Season One
  • Legions (The Watchers, #2)
  • Legends of Sorcery (Stones of Amaria #1)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more