Start by marking “Intricate Deceptions (Intricate, #1)” as Want to Read:
Intricate Deceptions (Intricate, #1)

Intricate Deceptions (Intricate, #1)

Waking up in a desolate cell, Gaia realizes that she has been kidnapped by a human trafficking organization, doomed to be sold to the highest bidder and unable to remember anything before her capture.
An opportune rescue by Raoul, the Prince of Kayamato, saves Gaia from a gruesome future, and she is thrown into a world of luxury and privilege. As she struggles to regain he
Published November 16th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Intricate Deceptions, please sign up.
Jennifer Rayes New adult / Romantic Suspense / Thriller

Start your review of Intricate Deceptions (Intricate, #1)
Miranda Reads
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel like this one had so much potential, but fell just a smidge (or two smidges) short.

Gaia (our heroine) wakes up with absolutely no memory of who and where she is.

She shares a small cell with a young girl (Emily) and soon they discover that they're prisoners in a sex trafficking ring.
“Aren’t you a pretty thing.” He dragged his leering gaze over her body and walked towards her, grinning wider with every step.
Gaia, frightened and confused, is about to be violently raped but is saved i
Adrian
I received an electronic copy of this book from the author "Jennifer Rayes" in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

My normal genre of choice is sci-fi with a smattering of classics, biographies, detectives and thrillers, so I was surprised at being contacted by Jennifer to review a book that on first viewing looked a bit "romance-y" for me.
However never let it be said I am not open to new ideas, so thought I'd give it a go. I read some of the other reviews and the blurb and I was still
Briar's Reviews
Intricate Deceptions was an exceptional start to an exciting series.

This novel was far better than I expected it to be. At the beginning, I was a little put off by the start (loss of memory/amnesia as an intro hasn't boded well for me in my readings) but it turned out to blow my mind! I'm really impressed with Jennifer Rayes's story telling and I am desperate to get the next novel in this book now!

Anywho, my opinions:

1. The start felt like an adult novel 100%, but as the story went on it felt cl
Birjis
Intricate Deception is a fantasy kind of book which has hidden agenda with ulterior motives with lots of plots. The story is incredibly poignant and can be harsh at times. The characters seems messy and their actions seems confusing. I cannot connect with them. The story has a compelling nature which has me curious to know the next book.

Garia was at loss when she wakes up in a cell with no accounts on how she came there and no idea of who she was. Her cell mate Emily, her only company for whom s
Krystal
This is another one of those times that I've been disappointed by the blurb.

It sounded so exciting and dynamic, and there are some great ideas here, but it's poorly executed and relies on too many cliches.

Here's the story: Gaia wakes up in a cell, having been kidnapped by bad guys. Her cell mate is a girl called Emily who she befriends almost instantly, but they're torn apart when Gaia is rescued but Emily is left behind.
Gaia is taken to the palace of Prince Raoul, who gets a bad case of insta-
Soha Ashraf
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*The Author ever so kindly sent me this book in exchange for an honest review*

Oh, wow!!! I didn’t expect all that from a fairly new Author. This book had me hooked from the first chapter.

It starts with a girl in a desolate cell. Then comes a prince to the rescue. But it’s just the start. The story takes you to a palace and a masquerade ball. Oh wait, there is more. Pirates come for the missing princess, too.

The plot of the story was thoroughly planned. With a good amount of romance and family d
Allyson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you for reaching out and giving me an ARC Jennifer!!!

4 solid stars!

This is my first read by this author and as you can see I am all ready on to the second book. This book has a lot of twist and turns. This would have been a five star for me if it wasn't for Gaia being so trusting when she had no idea who or what she was. One minute she is wanting to kill anyone standing in her way from getting Emily to just trusting the word of someone she just met. She does however make up for it!! I don'
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Actual rating 4.5
I received this e-book from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

After a long time, I completed a book in one day, It was a fast pace book and interesting one.

One day Gaia woke up and found her at an unknown place and her memory is lost she can't remember anything. She met with Emily there who told her they are taken by some human traffic organisation. Gaia was sold to someone but rescued by Prince Raoul who told her she is a princess after that then story proceeds fast
Sharmishtha Basu
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally finished the book! Even though I will have to admit that I have been extremely late in finishing it. Jennifer gave me the book ages ago, but my computer crashed so it was sitting in my email for download.

Finally I downloaded it and utilized my August break to read it and now here is the review for you:

Well, if you ask me to define it I will call it a dark romance. It certainly is sort of like a crime thriller with dash of fairytale romance, though it will leave you really wondering at th
Teresa
Jan 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
I was asked by the author to read and give and honest review of this book. I warned her I was not kind to romance novels and asked if she really wanted me to review it - she did, so I have.
1 star was generous for this book. I think the reason there are so many 4 star and any 5 star reviews is because often, when approached by an author, a real live person, people feel like they don't want to hurt any ones feelings.

I hate giving bad reviews when an author approaches me but this book is SO BAD, I
Coco.V
Apr 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/21/2019)! 🎁
Camden Johnson
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author was kind enough to send me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This book follows the story of a princess named Gaia who has lost her memory after being kidnapped by a human trafficking organization. After she is rescued, she tries to remember her previous life while also dealing with current affairs. This book isn't normally one I would read but this book had me hooked from the very first page. Jennifer Rayes did an amazing job at describing scenes and I felt as thou ...more
Jim Lyon
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dynamic romantic adventure narrated perfectly by Elizabeth Kelly.
LuEllen

Publisher - Independently Published
Pages - 222
Price on Amazon - Paperback - £ 4.96 Kindle - £2.12
ISBN - 1973467925

When Gaia wakes up in a cell she soon realises she's been kidnapped by a human trafficking ring, with no memory of her life or who she is, things seem impossible. Suddenly Gaia is rescued by a mysterious man, who turns out to be a prince, Can Gaia regain her memory and figu
Barbara Russell
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Five stars for this lovely novel. Gaia has been kidnapped by human traffickers, and she has no memories of her past. When she’s sold to highest bidder, Prince Raoul comes to the rescue.
I think this novel can be considered a dark fairy tale. There are princesses and princes and kingdoms and mysteries. It’s a quick read that ends with a cliff hanger, but that’s why there’s a sequel :)
❤SanaReads❤
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-review
3,5 stars!

Book kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

description

“I don’t trust you around stairs,” she joked halfheartedly. Dominique’s chest shook against her as he chuckled at their inside joke. “Don’t worry, I don’t intend on ravaging you. Yet,”

Before I dive into my review, I would really love to thank author Jennifer Rayes for choosing me to read and review her babies.

description

I don't really know where to begin with this one, because as much as Intricate Deceptions was a beautifully wr
LianaReads blog
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-arc
Intricate Deceptions is a gripping story that held my attention from the first chapter to the unbearable cliffhanger.
It's a world build of fantasy in nowadays settings , with princesses and kings, with mysteries and suspense and so many twists and unexpected turns. Gaia is an interesting heroine that has amnesia after an unfortunate scene and she is brought back to her family and made queen.
Her expectations and deceptions are always hand in hand and this tale proves how much of a strong heroin
Anne (The Reading Life)
I received a free copy for an honest review.

I accepted this ARC for review from the author because I saw potential in the story from what I read in the synopsis, and after I finished the book, I still stand by that statement.

More often than not, not-the-best (I’m not going to say bad right now) books are more likely to be caused by bad execution rather than actual bad ideas.

The weird thing about this book though, aside from how much potential the story itself held, is that I kept seeing glimps
Lauren
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

Primarily for the characters. I adore Gaia, she’s so strong willed and fights for what she believes in, even after experiencing trauma. There’s nothing better than a strong female protagonist, and she fits the bill.

Next there’s the love triangle... I was so jealous of her when she was doted on by a prince and a pirate. Raul is charming and Dominique is daring, and I may or may not be totally in love with both of them them. But Gaia, the queen that she is, doesn’t through hers
Setayesh Kazempoor
My rating: 4.5 stars
Thank you to author Jennifer Rayes for a copy of this book for review.
Gaia has been kidnapped and has found herself in a human trafficking organization with no memory of who she is, other than her name. After many agonizing days, Gaia is rescued by Prince Raul. Raul claims that she is a princess, and they must keep her identity secret so no one can harm her. Gaia soon finds herself cornered by danger, and must find a way to remember the past.
Every chapter of this book had me
Myra
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review first published on Oh Just Books.

So I sometimes write points down after I immediately finish a book if I want to get it all down on paper because that's just how I work better. For this book, it was so emotionally fraught, that I had to get it down immediately. I revisited this after a few days and decided the present this review in all it's unedited glory.

Ended on a cliffhanger desperately waiting for part 2
Want to know what happens to Gaia
Amazing character
Great storyline
Don't know
Bookbug_40
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant story full of shocking twists and turns with a brave and intelligent female lead, who stands for what she belives in ,no matter what. Gaia wakes up in a cell and realized that she is kidnapped by human trafficking organization but she doesn't remember her past life , just her name. She was rescued by Prince Raoul, the Prince of Kayamato. Her struggle to find her memories put her in danger again and again. She don't know how to trust someone when everyone has a different agenda of the ...more
Dora Ilieva
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intricate Deceptions is a suspense novel set in an imaginary kingdom which is plagued by many of the problems common in today’s world. The plot unravels smoothly as the main character, Gaia, struggles to overcome the obstacles life has thrown at her. Surrounded by threat and deception, Gaia has to grow up fast and assume the responsibilities which come with her rank. The novel ends in a cliffhanger which makes the reader eager to find out what's going to happen in the next book. ...more
Syl
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5 stars out of 5
My blog: https://sylandbooks.wordpress.com/

First of all I’d like to thank the author for choosing me to review this book and for providing me with a copy. My review is entirely mine and honest ! The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

The plot

This story is about Gaia, a girl who wakes up in a sketchy place with no memory at all. She shares a cell with another girl called Emily and soon they discover that they’ve been kidnapped a
Nova
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I was asked by Jennifer to give an honest review***

I want to start by saying that this book could cause a few triggers, so please be warned.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I loved how fast-paced it was, and there were not a lot of fillers (I don't particularly appreciate when authors go on and on to add more pages when it could have been so much shorter). It is dark and tragic at times, but I love books like that. It was right up my alley.

The story is based in a fa
Cardia
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
Well, I never expected what was in this book. It's a good thing, sometimes I like books that keeps me in the dark. And there's 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 to it than a girl who has amnesia. You'd think this book is predictable, it is in some cases, but you'd be surprised by how many times you'll go, "𝑾𝑻𝑭."

Intricate Deceptions got me interested from the middle of the book to the end. 𝑇ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔. The beginning is kinda 𝑚𝑒ℎ for me, glad it got better as I read further.

It has royalties, pirates, human trafficking,
G
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

*I was asked to review the book by the author*

An exciting mystery with a love triangle aimed to divide an audience - I am very much team Dom!

Unfortunately, I felt the writing was slightly disjointed at parts. The story is written from multiple points of view, but in the third person, not an easy task. When doing this, I feel it's important to really narrate from behind the eyes of the character, rather than describing what is happening to them, as it can make it harder to sympathise/id
Deborah Schultz
I’m having a hard time rating this book. I’d like to give it 3.5 stars. I went on the high side, because I couldn’t put it down, tore through it, finishing it a week earlier than my goal.

I was intrigued by the story, but it reminded me of the Harlequin romances I read as a teenager. The main character’s desire to kiss men she hated was off putting.

I received a free digital copy of the book in return for an honest review. I’m wondering if the version I received is actually the finished, publish
evelyn
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In exchange for a free copy of "Intricate Deceptions",
I have an honest review right here!

First off, I have to say this was a very well written book, so good job:) I think that the action and thrill I got from reading this book really startled me because I found myself enjoying it very much.

THE CLIFFHANGER OMG.

Well, now I want to know what happens and will finish reading the series probably.

The thing about this novel is that, as you may have gathered by now, this book contains a lot of deeper su
Mary
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*the author kindly sent me this book for an honest review*

The starting of the book was good, I could feel what Gaia was feeling at the moment when she was kidnapped. It’s a fast passed book in which sometimes I thought some things were kinda rushed and anticlimactic. But overall it was a great book. I wasn’t sure at first about the pirate plot, but damn Dominique it’s IT for me! Even tho that Raoul get’s me every time, who doesn’t love a prince.
Loved how strong minded Gaia was, always love heroi

• Broken (Broken Trilogy, #1)
  • Mended (Broken Trilogy, #3)
  • Shattered (Broken Trilogy, #2)
  • Royal Elite Epilogue (Royal Elite, #7)
  • Cruel King (Royal Elite, #0)
  • Honor (Blackstone, #1)
  • Ruthless Empire (Royal Elite, #6)
  • Escape (Blackstone, #2)
  • Vicious Prince (Royal Elite, #5)
  • Anarchy at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #4)
  • Victory at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #5)
  • Shatter Me (The Jaded Series, #1)
  • My Bloodline (Featherstone Academy, #1)
  • Twisted Kingdom (Royal Elite, #3)
  • Black Knight (Royal Elite, #4)
  • Your Bloodline (Featherstone Academy, #2)
  • Heir (The Royal Trials, #3)
  • Pretty Lies (Watch Me Burn, #1)
See top shelves…
Jennifer Rayes is a Lebanese-American author, born in Michigan, and raised in the mountains of Lebanon. She is the author of Intricate Deceptions, Intricate Intentions, and Intricate Obsessions, the first three books in the Intricate Series; as well as From Within, a compilation of poetry pieces from her earlier years.

News & Interviews