Start by marking “The Furnace (The Tanner Sequence, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Furnace (The Tanner Sequence, #1)

The Furnace

(The Tanner Sequence #1)

Dead Space, 2401 AD

Kyle Tanner is about to die. Alone, floating in a vacsuit only a few million kilometers from a massive, uncaring sun, he has barely enough time or juice to get out a distress signal before either his oxygen runs out or he succumbs to the radiation.

When the CCF sent investigator Kyle Tanner to SOLEX One, a solar energy harvester past Mercury, he thought i
Kindle Edition, Carina Press Edition, 390 pages
Published December 23rd 2013 by Carina Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Furnace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Furnace

Start your review of The Furnace (The Tanner Sequence, #1)
Kelly
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Floating in space between the sun and Mercury, Lieutenant Kyle Tanner has only sixteen hours of oxygen left and not enough acceleration to get anywhere useful. Worse, his radiation shielding is toast. He’s dying. But before he goes, he has a story to tell.

Dispatched to the SOLEX One facility between Mercury and Sol to investigate what might or might not be a murder, Tanner encounters the most baffling case of his career. The death appears accidental, but the body has been tampered with, the head
edifanob
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, 2014-reads
UPDATE 2014-11-23I'm happy to announce that I found time to write my full review of THE FURNACE which I posted over at my blog Edi's Book Lighthouse and which I also added at the end of my original comment. You will find it after the --------------------------

A crime has been committed. A famous investigator gets the order to find the killer. Sounds like a description I read one thousand times before.
That is true. But that is also the point where the similarites to these stories end.

The Furnace
Lucky
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Furnace starts off as a detective story in the vein of Asimov's The Caves of Steel, but halfway through the book, it morphs into the evolutionary descendant of Campbell's Who Goes There? and Finney's The Body Snatchers. It is well-written and engaging with believable characters and a logical, if surprising plot-line.

Lieutenant Kyle Tanner is a detective for the military's Security Division. In a world where the military controls everything, he is part soldier and part policeman. When a crewm
‘Sup?
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted at Ramblings from this Chick

I’ve spent so long reading romance that I’d forgotten how much I enjoy good straight-up crime fiction. Considering I cut my reading teeth on Agatha Christie’s entire collection of Hercule Poirot mysteries, it should come as no surprise that a classic whodunit is my favourite genre after romantic suspense. So when debut author Timothy S. Johnston’s futuristic science fiction/murder mystery/technothriller hybrid THE FURNACE showed up on my rada
Charlie
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
By way of an introduction (and in the interest of full disclosure) "The Furnace" showed up on my radar thanks to the direct marketing efforts of the author. As this is his first published novel, he was quite rightly motivated to promote it. How motivated? He advertised a few review copies on a Star Trek web site that I frequent. This is not only a good way of attracting my attention but also an excellent way to identify a target audience. The cover also reaches out to those with an affinity for ...more
Shane Amazon
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Its been said that 'in space no one can hear you scream'. It's a cold, dark, and unforgiving place, and it makes for the perfect stage to build a science fiction based mystery thriller. A research station orbiting the sun becomes the scene of a bloody and gruesome crime as one of the station's occupants is killed in spectacular fashion, his head and hands inexplicably cut from his corpse.

A crime like this can only be solved by someone with incredible investigative talents, and that is where CCF
John Matsui
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When a sci-fi writer creates a world that I can clearly see and characters I love, hate and scream at, I marvel at the art because it is so rare. That's the experience I had when I read The Furnace by Timothy S. Johnston. I found myself laughing at my own silliness when I questioned the wisdom of the ruling powers for placing a manned, solar-power generating station so close to the sun. Normally I reserve my rants for real government decisions.
The story opens with Military Homicide Detective Lt.
Jeffrey Grant
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are a number of books labeled “science fiction” that are actually a different type of story, such as a romance or a political thriller, but they simply get set in a locale that’s science fiction-y, such as a different planet or a spaceship, and there’s nothing else that really makes them sci-fi; take the characters and put them in, say, New York and there isn’t much that changes.

At first, this book seems that way, as it focuses on a homicide investigator for the totalitarian government th
Brannigan
First published at The Qwillery

The Furnace is a fast-paced, science-fiction/thriller that takes you for a ride from the first page to the last. I've never read a book that uses so many different genres in such a skillful way. The Furnace could have been just a mystery set in a space station orbiting the Sun, but Johnston makes it much more by using aspects from military and medical thrillers to give the novel a fresh approach that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The mystery/crime in the story is just as f
Star
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘The Furnace’ is one of those stories which has you believing the events could truly come to pass. Set on a research and power-generating station orbiting the Sun (way too close for my comfort!), there has been a death. Normally how the crewman died would be considered an accident, but when the body is mutilated, the Council sends one of its best investigators, Lieutenant Tanner to ferret out the truth. However, the truth may be far more complex than he’d ever imagined!

I wasn’t sure, at first, h
Flabbergasted
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Flabbergasted by: Rick
This well-crafted story was interesting and although I thought I had pegged something about the ending (something I am notorious for) I was actually surprised when my specific prediction did not come to pass.

Kyle Tanner was an engaging character who felt very real to me and there were other characters in the book who I enjoyed as well.

My only two critiques are that I felt the main female character wasn't human enough, she was just too "perfect" for me as a reader to connect to her.

Unfortunately
Julian White
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I were to start by saying this is 'And Then there Were None/Ten Little' whatevers in space it would be going the novel a major injustice. The isolated setting, an experimental science station orbiting close to the sun, is where Kyle Tanner is despatched to investigate a possible murder. The crew, divided into officers, resentful NOMs (not officers) and reclusive scientists are less than helpful and overall is the oppressive nearness of the sun, with inherent radiation and heat damage. The act ...more
Pablo Frank
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
The setting and overall idea is quite interesting, but I felt the rhythm is off. It goes into long winded and ofter redundant tangents that kill the suspense. Exposition is quite gratuitous and does not fit organically into the story. The Science was very weak. There are several mistakes that would have been easily avoided with a cursory read of basic astronomy and motion equations. Sad to say it disappointed me.
Nicole Luiken
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, sf-fantasy
Murder mystery on a science station orbiting very close to the sun. The setting really captured my imagination: the immense sun, the dangers of radiation and the claustrophobic sense of being trapped with a killer on a small windowless space station. Lots of plot twists and turns and action scenes kept me turning the pages.
Quibble: the narrator wasn't that engaging.
Jennles
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book starts off as a typical murder mystery, except for being set on a space station orbiting the sun. The detective is really smart (and famous) but he can't solve the mystery, because something really crazy and unexpected is going on. I definitely didn't see it coming, which is rare! Apparently this is going to be a series, so I'm going to keep an eye out for then next one.

Ted R Turner
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable sci-fi

Enjoyable sci-fi

Nice pure sci-fi novel with a splash of murder and mystery tossed in. The main character is very believable and the plot had a nice progression.
Tony Scott
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, electronic
Enjoyable and interesting read. Thought that it was just a simple murder mystery in space... A bit of Clue near the sun... It was the astronaut in the air lock with the laser sort of thing, but there was a twist that changed my thoughts. Hard to put down after about half way
Katie Ipfritsch
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Starts out great...gets a little cheesy at the end but still was a fun read
Michael Owsiak
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really well written, fast paced thriller that reads like a dream.
I had problems putting this one down. A true page turner from start to finish.
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great sci-fi and mystery! Read my full review at http://www.dreamworldbooks.com/2012/0... ...more
Clarke Fielding
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Think a cross between "The Thing" and "Blade Runner". Very cool start of what I hope is an entertaining trilogy.
Angela
rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2019

• The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire
  • Black Panther: Soul Of A Machine #1
  • Secret Invasion
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Dog Men
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card (Series Omnibus, Signed Limited Edition)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • The Ritual
  • Europe: A Natural History
  • The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • The Bone Box
  • Now You See Her (Samantha Spade #2)
Timothy S. Johnston is a lifelong fan of techno-thrillers and science-fiction thrillers in both print and film. His greatest desire is to contribute to the genre which has given him so much over the past four decades. He wishes he could personally thank every novelist, screenwriter, filmmaker, director and actor who has ever inspired him to tell great stories. He has been an educator for nearly tw ...more

The Tanner Sequence (3 books)
  • The Freezer (The Tanner Sequence, #2)
  • The Void (The Tanner Sequence, #3)