Start by marking “Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Cunningham's Encyclopedia Series)” as Want to Read:
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Cunningham's Encyclopedia Series)

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Cunningham's Encyclopedia Series)

Do you work magic with herbs? Do you use them in spells, for talismans or simply use their innate powers? If you don't have Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, you need to get it right away. This book has become a classic in its field. Paul Beyerl, a respected author on herbs calls it "an essential reference book by students of herbalism and magick alike Scott's p ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, please sign up.
Nova I"m afraid not. I was looking for the same thing when I bought the book and was a little dissapointed. It is a good resource for the magickal…moreI"m afraid not. I was looking for the same thing when I bought the book and was a little dissapointed. It is a good resource for the magickal properties of plants but says very little to their practical and medicinal application.s (less)

Heather Purri
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Witches, Pagans, Wiccans
Difficulty Level: Beginner
No magickal background necessary.

Pros:
- It's an occult/Pagan classic.
I know firsthand that virtually all Wiccans use this and most Hoodoo practitioners use it in conjunction with Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by Catherine Yronwode, cross-referencing herbs between them. I highly recommend getting the ebook, so you can quickly find what you need.

-Written for practitioners at any level.
Before you get to the encyclopedia part, it starts with an intro to magick for beginners wh
Fostergrants
Oct 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book - i wander around the yard with it - i practically read it to my plants. the history and folklore adds so much to my gardening experience and i get totally excited when somebody asks about this or that herb i have in a dish near my front door or tied in a bundle over the fireplace. each plant reference includes: latin name, folk name, gender, planet, element, deities, powers, uses, whether or not it's poisonous, and a black n white botanical sketch of the plant. mint is no longe ...more
Peter
The folk names and the suchlike were interesting, the illustrations are inspireing the books subject matter is nonsense. yes I do respect other peoples beliefs, but I have had access to books over three hundred years old and I can only say the magic from this book (if it's to be believed)is from the Sooty and Sweep school of "izzy wizzy lets get bizzy" magic.
zeknir
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sunshrine
i’ve been using this book as a reference for all my medicinal herbs to align known medicinal properties with spiritual and energetic properties. i have a couple different books in this vein and this one i trust the most. it’s simply organized (it’s an encyclopedia, so it’s all alphabetical, by common name, not by latin names) and has some useful appendix tables in the back.

EDIT: i lowered my rating to a 4, 3.5 more like it. while it is exactly what it says it is, an encyclopedia for reference, t
Bettina
Certainly not the sort of book one would read from beginning to end, but a very useful reference book and one I use often. The index allows you to look up herbs by the proper name, Folk name or Latin name. For each herb you will find the related Gender, Planet, Element, Deities, Powers as well as magical and ritual uses. Only drawback here is while Cunningham's reference list is long, he does not indicate which source is used to back up the claimed properties of each herb. While this book is gre ...more
Valrie Wylde
I have to say, this is one of the books on my shelf that is filled with post it notes and book marks.. I use it a LOT and you can really tell as I'm soon going to have to order another copy! It's been tremendously handy when I've been making incense and herbal kits as there's just so much to draw from.

It's a fabulous go to book for just starting out as well as seasoned practitioners who work with herbs as it's filled with helpful information. There's quite a lot you can sink your teeth into.

It's
Joan DeArtemis
This is one of my two absolute favorite books on the magical use of herbs. It is fun and easy to use, and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in undertaking the practice of Wicca or modern Witchcraft. Scott Cunningham was a wonderful, light hearted, positive Light Being (I knew him personally), and everyone I know who uses this book loves it.

There has been some criticism that everything in it is not based in perfect scholarship. However, that does not matter. This book has been in activ
Heka
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this book for years but, unfortunately, didn't actually much use of it. It seems like it should be a great reference; it's packed with descriptions of various plants, their correspondences, and some of their properties. But this is very much a magical reference text, not an academic or medical-style herbal. If you're trying to figure out which herb to use for spellwork, this may be the book for you. If you're trying to figure out which herb to take for your headache, have a cup of mint tea ...more
Kathy
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paganism
This is an encyclopedia about herbs. Cunningham includes folklore, edibility, and ways these plants can be prepared. Symbols are included in each profile to signify for medical use or for spells. The reader should use their common sense. Out of all Cunningham's books I see this one as the most important. I use this book as a reference any time I am making gris-gris bags, tea, or gardening.

Ailyn
I've realized that my expectations for what I want n an herbal, and what is actually out there, are two completely different things. Yet Cunningham's Encyclopedia has more of what I would want, with some folk history of the different herbs. I don't like that everything is structured into the generic Greek 4 element model, but you get that with Wicca and ceremonialism. As a supplemental reference book, I feel it does pretty well, and it did spark my interest into herbalism.
Swankivy
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't really "read" or "finish" this book because it's more of a look-up-what-you-need encyclopedic book, but it's very clear and concise and informative. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a down-to-earth magical herbal guide--interesting for folklore buffs as well as Crafters, ya know?
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Herbalists, Witches
Shelves: magick
This is a must-have for every herbalist's shelf. Cunningham's work is accessible, well-written, and easy to follow, one of the better Herb guides on the market today for magical and health uses.
Lodane
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fictional worldbuilders
The 1-5 Star Review is the total of what I have to say about this book, specifically.

Caveat: This review is historical/archival in nature. 'Date read' is speculative.

This book is one of many books I have read about the occult/paganism/witchcraft. This was the readily available faith in my household as a child. Additionally, I worked for a company in this field, 2015-2016, and had to read an ocean of this stuff to do my job.

Like televangelists, and snake-oil salesman, these publishers prey on the
Nancy
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here:http://nancythroughthelookingglass.bl...

The Book is clearly laid out and easy to use, with many different herbs and flowers covered, many common ones and a few herbs I'd never heard of and objects thought of as magical items, like carrots and potatoes. It Gives you the name of the herb with a line drawing of it it's folk names gender planet element and powers, as well as it's magical uses.

I'd recommend the book to anyone with an interest in herbs whether it be magical or n
Scottsdale Public Library
Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting…did you know that herbs are magical things? Most people don’t realize that the witches in Shakespeare were really cooking up a potion made of flowers and herbs! Many herbs throughout history have been named some spooky things, but they have been found to help and heal. Folklore associated with these herbs led to the belief that some plants were magical. Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical He ...more
Juli Anna
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
This may very well be a book I buy. Not only is this a solid magical herbalism encyclopedia, but once again, Cunningham has written a guide that is at once inclusive and specific. His introduction is really spot-on and I love that he leaves in some of the less practical rituals to "spark the imagination." My only real issues with this volume are (a) his use of gender in dealing with the properties of the plants (of course, this could easily be ignored by a practitioner that doesn't cotton to suc ...more
Tauri Cox
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First let me explain why exactly I bought this book. The short answer? My next protagonist is really into herbs... Oh, and she's a witch.

This encyclopedia was as perfect as I could get for what I was looking for. It includes chapters on the powers and intentions of herbs as well as specific spells to use. Then it breaks down each herb with its common, scientific and folk names, gender, planet, element, associated deities, powers, and ritual and magical uses. And an illustration of each herb.

It
Effie
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're wondering about which magical herbal book to pickup (As there are many! and not all are created equal haha) ...Although it's nice to have more sources to pull from in any realm of knowledge...I can honestly say I don't personally bother with any other book then this one when I'm needing this information. An absolute MUST have if your interested in learning more in this area, I promise you will return to it again and again.
Carrie
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pagans, homeopaths, witches
This is my herbal bible! My current copy is starting to fall apart by the binding from over use, the plastic on the cover is coming away from the paper, the pages are well loved...A lot of people think Cunningham is too simple, that he's a 'good place to start', but why overcomplicate things when they're so effective to begin with? I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants more info on magical herbs.
Wulfwyn
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with an interest in herbs, Wiccans,
Shelves: owned
I love this book. I had it years ago in paperback and constantly used it. In a move it was left to one of my children. I have since bought it on my kindle because I missed it so much. I think I prefer the print version better though, ( for the drawings of the herbs). I am putting no date finished on it as I use it all the time. I do not think I will ever officially "finish" this book.
Carla
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST have in any herbalist, magical, naturalist library. Contains pictures along side the herb, folk names, gender, planet, element, powers, and magical uses. Also has cross reference names in the back to help the person searching.
I love this book and find it helpful when looking to make a mix or when I have a celebration.
Kelly Hulslander
The books by Scott Cunningham are truly informative for any practitioner of Paganism or the Wiccan paths, whether you be a solitary or coven practioner. Personally I am a solitary who reads all the Neo-pagan books of knowledge concerning herbs, practices, incense and oils, history, etc... I can get my hands on. to truly understand the path one must research and practice, Blessed Be.
Willa Wylde
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The quintessential herbal book for magickal purposes, if you can only have one, make it this one. most modern witchcraft books are based in whole or part on the works of Scott Cunningham.

This book has excellent appendixes and cross references, as well as offering both multiple common names, pictures, and the Latin taxonomy, uses, planetary correspondences, etc.
Megan Theep
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful and well written. Really enjoyed reading it. Definitely recommend it to anyone new to witchcraft, Wicca or Pagan traditions. Scott Cunningham is a good go to for beginners and seasoned witches alike. Check out his whole spread.
Leslie
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan
I really enjoyed flipping through this book because it gives a detailed book on herbs. If your are interested in not the herbs but their meanings, history and magical properties then this book is for you. Scott Cunningham did a wonderful job with the details of this book.
Adan Ramie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty amazing resource for those who want to know how herbs and plants work in our bodies and how they have been used over time.
Haley Harrigan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative for all of your Witchy needs.
Steven Wendell
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for anyone interested in plants and nature. Soooo much good information.
Claudia Loureiro
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: druidry
Wonderful reference book for my Ovate studies.
Gisela
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
will be extremely useful in my coming ventures into root work and herbal spirituality! recommended by juan, of course.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up
  • Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • To Stir a Magick Cauldron: Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring (RavenWolf to)
  • Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • The Outer Temple of Witchcraft: Circles, Spells, and Rituals (Temple of Witchcraft, #2)
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi
“The basis of herb magic—and all magic—is the power. This power has worn many names and forms through the centuries; at times even its existence was kept secret; at others it was common knowledge. The power is that which generated and maintains the universe. It is the power that germinates seeds, raises winds, and spins our planet. It is the energy behind birth, life, and death. Everything in the universe was created by it, contains a bit of it, and is answerable to it.” 0 likes