Start by marking “Fight for Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Fight for Tomorrow

Fight for Tomorrow

2.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Collecting the miniseries by Brian Wood (DMZ) and artist Denys Cowan telling tale of a young Buddhist monk turned kung fu street brawler. Kidnapped as a boy, Cedric Zhang - raised to fight in competitions - formed a bond with Christy, a young nurse. When she disappears with no explanation, Cedric immerses himself in the violent NYC underworld in an effort to locate her, fi ...more
Published January 2nd 2008 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Fight for Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fight for Tomorrow

Marc Weidenbaum
Feb 26, 2013 Marc Weidenbaum added it
Shelves: comic
I've admired a lot of Brian Wood's work, especially his sense of urban existence. There is, at the same time, a romantic thread through it that can be cloying, a celebration of gritty life that can only really have been conceived of in retrospect, after the cities have been cleaned up, after Taxi Driver and Serpico and so many models for the kind of city Wood excels in portraying are, in fact, the distant past.

In any case, up until the end of Fight for Tomorrow, I found this to be an enjoyable,
Brad
Jul 07, 2008 Brad rated it liked it
Cedric's an always-bandaged, usually bleeding fighter pining for Christy, with whom he shares a ton of history. Over the course of these six issues, we learn how Ced became a fighter (it isn't pretty), his past with Christy (also not pretty), and where the supply of young fighters in Chinatown comes from (guess if it's pretty).
This story was first published back in 2002, and just got collected in 2008, probably because Brian Wood's been doing great work in other books like Local, DMZ, and No
Dan Naponiello
Feb 04, 2015 Dan Naponiello rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Read DMZ in its entirety and loved every second of it. Found this on sale for $3 and thought I was getting a steal. Ended up forcing myself through it out of a sense of obligation. As a fan of comics, Brian Wood, and Kung fu, came away incredibly disappointed.
Ikea Monkey
Nov 11, 2014 Ikea Monkey rated it really liked it
I thought it was good. Brian Wood has always been if-y for me in the past, but, I'm beginning to like him better.
East Bay J
Aug 05, 2008 East Bay J rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
A man, kidnapped as a boy and made to fight other children for sport, escapes with his girlfriend and tries to start anew. Then his girlfriend disappears. His quest to find her and to overcome the shadow of his past makes for a good story. The characterization is a bit simplistic at times but Fight For Tomorrow is interesting and passionately told. I wasn’t wild about the art but it doesn’t distract from the story.
Feb 22, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
A pretty by-the-numbers story of martial arts and revenge, with some interesting investigations into the trauma caused by child slavery. Ultimately I'm not sure the story was worth it (and it only took me a half hour to read the entire 6-issue series), but Brian Wood's writing and mastery of the comic form is undeniably compelling, even with the most uninspired plots.
Jessica
Apr 27, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I am right between 3 and 4 stars for this one. Parts of it were too dismal for me but the author addresses the issue directly on one of three very strong pages/sections. There is an intriguing ending as well.
Neliza Drew
Aug 16, 2010 Neliza Drew rated it it was ok
The art was nice. The story was a bit melodramatic and ended rather abruptly (and maybe even unlikely), though I guess that's common to the genre (?).
Michael
Jan 16, 2013 Michael rated it did not like it
via NYPL - usually like Brian Wood's stuff, but this was a cliche-ridden kung-fu flick with nothing special going for it.
Rich
Sep 11, 2008 Rich rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It could have been a great story, but the conclusion happened too quickly and without the same passion as the previous chapters.
Matt Piechocinski
Sep 06, 2012 Matt Piechocinski rated it liked it
Relatively mindless, but good action book ... could be made into a b-grade movie super easy.
Ben Cowles
Jun 23, 2013 Ben Cowles rated it it was ok
Inconsistent art, muddy coloring & formulaic story. Wanted this to be better.
Vim
Mar 20, 2012 Vim rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Okay, this is the first Brian Wood graphic novel I didn't like.
Krystl Louwagie
Dec 08, 2012 Krystl Louwagie rated it liked it
OK read, but nothing too special here. Art was nice, spontaneous.
Christopher
Jun 09, 2010 Christopher rated it it was ok
The covers, however, were really nice to look at.
syrin
Jan 08, 2012 syrin rated it did not like it
Nope, definitely not for me.
Sam McCanna
Kenny
Kenny added it
May 24, 2016
caleb knoedler
caleb knoedler rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Tor Gar
Tor Gar rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Niall Philyaw
Niall Philyaw rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Mikebo
Mikebo added it
Jan 22, 2016
Robert Johnson
Robert Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Tor Wigmostad
Tor Wigmostad rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Rafael Amado
Rafael Amado rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
MasaReviews
MasaReviews rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
20493
Multiple Eisner Award-nominee Brian Wood released his first series, Channel Zero, to considerable critical acclaim in 1997 and has gone on to create hard-hitting original series such as DMZ, Northlanders, The Couriers, and The Massive. He’s also written some of the biggest titles in pop culture, with work on Star Wars, Conan The Barbarian, Lord Of The Rings and The X-Men. He lives with his wife an ...more
More about Brian Wood...