Start by marking “The HAB Theory” as Want to Read:
The HAB Theory

The HAB Theory

This large contemporary novel tells the story of an ordinary electrical engineer who, at age 94 and dabbling in the earth sciences as an avocation, discovers an amazing and shocking truth -- that time after time since the beginnings of the earth, life on earth has been periodically been virtually destroyed and has had to start over again. Such a disaster (which occurs at i ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Jesse Stuart Foundation (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The HAB Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The HAB Theory

Petra
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this eons ago and remember that I couldn't put it down. Will have to revisit it one day to see if it holds up.
Emily Truman
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book of all time. Wish more people knew about it...!
Dave Jones
The end of the world is coming via a wobble in the Earth's rotation. All things considered, an entertaining read but the plot concluded in a very unsatisfying manner.
Terence Park
A thought-provoking examination of the Earth's pre-history through a speculative lens. The main protagonist, Boardman, discovers disaster is coming and there's little the human race can do to affect it. There's symptoms of a wobble in the Earth's rotation, meanwhile an accumulation of out of place artefacts all around the globe suggest more ancient catastrophes than scientists will admit to. Then a terrifying discovery is made; another disaster is due to hit soon and when it hits, it will throw ...more
Jonna Bobyarchick
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Timeless Terrifying Thought challenging

After nearly 40 years this book still ranks as an all time best read! The danger of over-specialization and professional isolationism in science and medicine as well as political smugness, is so aptly portrayed in this scary all too probable indictment of man's narrow- mindedness. If our lives depend on cooperation, will mankind put aside it's ego?
Martin Nunn
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favourites!

I read this book years ago in the early 2000's when a friend lent it to me. I liked it so much I had to get it again when I became Kindled. I read it again and enjoyed it again, even knowing the ending.

Riveting resd!
Michael Adamchuk
A scientist studying ancient catastrophes devises a theory for their cause. There is no way to prove the theory. Bases on his predictions, the earth will once again make a rotational change that could create havoc in the world. Can anything be done to prevent it? It was an exciting read.
Edie Light
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book Years ago, like 35 years, and it’s one of the most gripping stories I’ve ever read. I still find myself thinking about it. I highly recommend it.

Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this many years ago and still remember it.
Shari Scott
3rd read of this book, and I don't understand why I liked it so much before. WAAAAAy too much soap opera. It would have been better and shorter without all the domestic drama.
Steven
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never been scared of the reason for the seasons before
Andy
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explains many anomalies in modern day discoveries. Absolutley a fascinating read.
Wolfgang
A book in re-print, given to me by a friend.

Two stories interwoven.

First, the launch of a fully developed "pole shift theory" into the public via a dramatic encounter between the theory's author and the US president. The president and increasingly the academic world embrace the idea that earth goes periodically through a cataclysmic "capsizing" where the position of the poles shift by 180 degrees. The theory says that the next tilt is imminent and that forces the president to rapidly assess the
laurenpie
Great science fiction plot, but too much tunnel-visioned self-adulation

The science fiction story here is extremely interesting and fairly well written. The side-story on the other hand, that of the main character's romantic involvements, is downright nauseating, embodying the epitome of 70's macho-ism. Ugh!

Herbert Boardman was a wonderful character. Ms. Dowde was okay. I actively disliked virtually every other character. The other females are so shallow they're downright insipid. The main charac
Kathy
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-favorites
This is one of my favorite books of all time! I have read it multiple times. At the bottom of the intrigue is the theory itself....that the earth flips on its axis every 4-8 thousand years causing untold disasters and wrenching of the earth, thereby creating a series of civilizations in the earth's history. Just the idea of this captured my imagination. The rest of the book is about scientists of all types getting together and debating whether or not they think it's possible or even likely, and ...more
Duane
Oct 09, 2014 added it
Finally getting to the end of the Hab Theory. It's a long book, and the end honestly plods a little bit. It's a bit anachronistic, in the mode of Arthur Hailey and that bunch.
Not a bad book but not a GREAT book, which is what it wanted to be. A bestselling topper to such things as 334 and The Sheep Look Up, with a new twist on the global disaster thing.
But too much focus on developing sorta stereotype characters made me picture everyone wearing dacron polyester and hoping there would be fondue.
Gloria
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was in my teens and its story has stayed with me through all the intervening years. I've never forgotten it.

It tells the story of a man whose decades long hobby of detailing weather patterns and historical anomalies over the course of thousands of years leads him to develop a theory that has far reaching consequences and may soon impact the fate of the world.

This book is no longer in print, is VERY hard to come by, and is not available as an eBook.
Patricia Dietz
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started out a great idea. Plenty of interesting "facts" but the story focuses on establishing the problem over and over and over. If the main character didn't smoke, you could cut 20 pages of meaningless cigarette-related actions. He ditches a loving wife and kids for a woman who's been with 45 other men (really!) and spends most of the book trying to justify it to the reader. This one goes in the recycling.
Tymothy
This was a difficult one to finish, but I made it all the way. The over-all story idea was really interesting - as were the 'scientific' discussions that supported it. Unfortunately, there was a lot of soap opera, couples drama that made it a much longer and more tedious read than it could have been. If you're a fan of well thought-out end-of-the-world stories, you might want to check it out. Be prepared for slow parts, though.
Mallory Carl
This book had me and then it lost me. Then it had me again at the very end. I thought the plot was very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed the story, but for a big chunk (I'd say about the last third) I felt like I was reading a textbook which definitely wasn't what I was looking for.

Overall a good read, I just good have done without all of the ridiculously detailed explanations discussed during the symposium.
Chris
700 pages. I confess to reading about 350 pages before I got fed up and skipped to the last 100 pages... then the last 50 pages... then the last 15 pages... then the last page. Sheesh. Apparently from the point at which I stopped until the last 10 pages or so, the book dealt with a symposium held on the HAB theory.
Joseph
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on a real person Hugh Anchluss Brown, an electrical engineer. His theory that humans have built several advanced civilizations on earth over the last 50,000 years, but they seem to dissapear... every 5000-7000 years and that another near-extinction is overdue is very interesting and if true you should read this book soon.
Bj
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allan's stories are always researched quite well and his ability to weave a story around facts is absolutely wonderful. This story was almost autobiographical to hear him tell it. He was a good friend of ours and told us how he researched this theory. It's a wonderful story--He was just upset because the libraries classified this as science fiction!
Neil
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always thought this was an entertaining story about scientists of different disciplines working together (kind of like Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan) but then I found out that the author, and a small but significant number of readers, actually believe the "evidence" in the book and the subsequent implications. I still enjoy the story, but it does make me look at it a different way.
Garry Thompson
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book many years ago, but the story has stayed with me. Why do I still remember the title, the plot, and the ending? Old book, but worth reading.

The book details are wrong, this book was written in the 70s.
Heather
I first read this book when I was in high school. I chose to re-read it again last year. The plot is great but the subplots go on a bit long. It is very poignant given the current state of the world and global warming.
Storm
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my all time favourite book (so far!)
I'm no geologist/ancient historian; but the 'evidence' behind the theory seems plausable enough.
Could have done without some of the sub-plots...didn't really contribute and were not necessary. But still, a blimmin good read!
Cindi Avery
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never forgotten this book, though I read it nearly 35 years ago.
It should have become a movie. The story is fiction, of course, but it really makes you wonder if it could ever be possible. I loved this book!
Virginia
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one book that makes me think. I really like the comment of the earth will rotate so that North America is the South Pole, due to the weight of National Geo in the basement of the United States.
Monte
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner and a departure from the historical fiction I love reading from. Interesting scenario, keeps you glued to the book.

If I have a complaint it is the abruptness of the ending. Still, well worth picking up.
Ketozin 1 1 Oct 19, 2018 10:25PM
https://trynutra9.com/trim-pill-keto/ 1 1 Sep 25, 2018 01:32AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. World coming to an end by change of axis? [s] 7 178 Feb 19, 2012 08:06PM

• The Last Canadian
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)
  • Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: A Photographer's Chronicle of the Iraq War
  • Alien Pursuit (Mars Diaries, #2)
  • Reach for Tomorrow
  • The Blood Red Game
  • The Khyber Connection (Time Wars, #6)
  • The Tower
  • Shiva Descending
  • Moment of Truth in Iraq: How a New 'Greatest Generation' of American Soldiers is Turning Defeat and Disaster into Victory and Hope
  • The War of Powers
  • Mental Floss: Genius Instruction Manual
  • The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament: How the Bible Undermines the Basic Teachings of Christianity
  • 8.4
  • Journals of the Plague Years
  • Truth or Fashion (Interns, #2)
  • The Humanoids (Humanoids #1)
Allan W. Eckert was an American historian, historical novelist, and naturalist.

Eckert was born in Buffalo, New York, and raised in the Chicago, Illinois area, but had been a long-time resident of Bellefontaine, Ohio, near where he attended college. As a young man, he hitch-hiked around the United States, living off the land and learning about wildlife. He began writing about nature and American hi