Start by marking “Double Your Profits: In Six Months or Less” as Want to Read:
Double Your Profits: In Six Months or Less

Double Your Profits: In Six Months or Less

One of the nations' foremost financial consultants shares 78 proven ways to cut costs dramatically, send productivity through the roof, and, in just six months, double profits.

Published October 18th 2011 by Harper Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Double Your Profits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Your Profits

Start your review of Double Your Profits: In Six Months or Less
Stuart Woolf
Jul 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So, I read this book not because I was interested in doubling my profits, but because I currently work for a Heinz supplier and wanted greater insight into the management style of 3G - and, by extension, some understanding of what is happening in the tomato industry / the food industry at large.

This book sucks. I can't remember the last time I wanted to spit in an author's face.

I concede that Double Your Profits challenges sacred cows and espouses unpopular views. It is not the first to argue th
Guilherme Zeitounlian
Very short and straight to the point book.

The main part of the book focuses on cutting costs. It seems to work better in bigger companies - and not so much when your company is made of two people and their two computers. :)

After that initial "cutting costs" part, there are some points about negotiations and sales, and the importance of being persistent.

Besides the patent advice, I think there is a mindset that the author imparts in the reader, one about continuous improvement, pruning the superf
Tim Bensley
This book was handed out by the CFO at a recent meeting I attended. A few interesting ideas, but mostly unusable. Couldn't help but hear the voice of Jerry McGuire's mentor (Dickie Fox) as I read: "I LOVE getting up in the morning! I clap my hands and say THIS is going to be a great day!"

Anyway, how can I take the advice of an author who would write, "When Apple hired John Sculley away from Pepsi to be CEO, they demonstrated that knowing consumers is more important than knowing computers."
Jose Papo
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that is a required reading for managers at Ambev and by all companies when bought by 3G. It's very aggressive in tactics for reducing waste and making more improvements. Sometimes it looks harsh, but depending on the company and the market it makes lot of sense. Very good tool to choose what and when to apply ideas to improve profit. ...more
Sy. C
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Critics of the book don't get the point - this book is not to be taken literally and applied to real life without any judgment. Obviously if you're a mom and pop retailer buying from an industrial behemoth it may not be the greatest idea to unilaterally change payment terms. Nonetheless the spirit behind the book is great and should be required reading for company managers. ...more
Aries Tao
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Succinct, practical, ruthless, written in a way that is perfectly consistent with what it preaches
Gaurav Mathur
One of the few delightful/provocative books which I read in one go.

I see how a lot of people dislike it, and in fact, that was one of the reasons I took it up. I believe that the only argument against a book is that it is boring. Well, this book is not boring.

The writes sounds like an extreme salesman, which he probably is. He talks straight and talks sense, and he is not "nice". But he talks like someone who gets the job done. And he focuses on the details.

Some ideas are out of date in today's
Stephen Redwood
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The first half of this book deals with the cost side of the equation, the second focuses on revenues. Starting with a disarmingly accurate warning that none of this is rocket science, or highly complex, and ending with advice to be stubborn and determined in pursuit of profit. The rules of thumb are, truly, not complicated, but they would require stubborn determination to apply. Why? Because this book revers a world in which continuously shaving every penny you can from the cost equation is the ...more
Antonio
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
Author leads us in a concise and straight-to-the-point way through number of steps to realization that increasing your profit is relatively easy task. What we need is healthy logic, discipline and consistency - like in every aspect of the life and business.

So this is my assessment of this book Double Your Profits by Bob Fifer according to my 7 criteria:
1. Related to practice - 5 stars
2. It prevails important - 4 stars
3. I agree with the read - 4 stars
4. not difficult to read (as for non English
Josh Maher
Dec 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh, lots of common sense advice and plenty of advice that has since been proven wrong... Stick people in the smallest crappiest offices to save money is no way to build a great internal culture.
Mark Manderson
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must set clear and high standards!

Run a meritocracy company! Reward those doing well adding to your profits!

Tell new hires if they do well they'll love the rewards! If they don't do well they won't be happy and will leave.

Then COMMUNICATE WEEKLY AND DEFINE THE TERMS AND HOW PERFORMANCE IS MEASURED AND DELIVER THE RESULTS!

Focus on RESULTS, not processes! However processes should lead to results!

Understanding STRATEGIC COSTS (increase revenue.)

Out spend competitors on strategic costs and cut
Antonio Bruno Alves
Here in Brazil this book is famous due to some declarations of Marcel Telles, a brewery tycoon, recommending it as one of his lifetime best reads.
Reading it was a pleasure.
The book is incredible as a guidebook for entrepreneurs, managers, and salesmen - who isn't the last one?!
I could suggest some ways to improve your experience reading it:
1. If you were a truly good person, start from the last chapters about how to balance your work and personal responsibilities. Although the common sense, wor
André Gomes
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
3g In Bev Recommendation

I have been reading everything I can about the 3G group, so I read this book because mr. Teles recommended. It’s interesting to see some of the concepts like Strategic Costs that are used in many of their companies. Other advice it’s hard to digest like the supplier squeezing techniques. It’s worth reading if you want to understand AB InBev, Burger King, Heinz...
Jorge Vildoso
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very clear and direct to the vein, too much in some passages ... I really like the part of how to reward workers and the concepts of how to avoid unnecesary costs. Good reading to form a management philosophy. I do not think that everything should be implemented literally, such as sharing computers ... today, not betting on technology as a means to achieve productivity, I think it would be silly.
Gabriel Lobato Teixeira
Fast reading , very didactic and focused . You can not take all advices literally. Must read book ! If you want to be a focused CEO you have to start acting like one, even in low positions. This will help with good insights .
Adnan
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational

An absolute must-read for anyone running a business. Conveys plenty of actionable advice. Some of the recommendations might seem a bit over the top, but the underlying philosophy is always true.
المهند السبيعي
The most straight forward book I've ever read.
Short and to the point. it contains very practical and easy to implement ideas.
Some of the ideas sound very radical but I think it is reasonable.

It is recommended for any business owner
Steven Erickson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. I enjoyed it. There are some good ideas and some seemingly unusable or extreme ideas. I wrote down those that spoke to me and left the rest behind.
Gaurav Singh Kopite
Absolutely Practical..Some methods are a little outdated given today's dynamic environment. But overall a really good book ...more
Vivek Vikram Singh
Pros:
It reads as if Donald Trump wrote it:
1. No difficult words
2. Straight to the point
3. Some good ideas mixed with some terribly myopic ones

Cons:
It reads as if Donald Trump wrote it
Colin McLafferty
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best business book I've read

You can read it in an afternoon. Invaluable advice. I took about 100 notes in it. Looking forward to applying this in my work
Pedro Zagury
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management, business
Quick and impactful read on management strategies to cut costs and be more profitbale. Valuable lessons for a short book.
Marjorie Ramos
A primer on private equity style capitalism.
Andrei
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stupid book title, but most of the insights and suggestions are very good. Very easy to read and every business person can get something useful out of it.
Ilya Solovyev
There are some useful thoughts that apply to all businesses and all people but definitely not "78 ways" to cut the costs and double the profits. "78 advises" would be more appropriate but it sounds less convincing.
I really didn't like the author's attitude towards his suppliers. Yeah, we see it often: treat the seller like shit when you are a buyer, squeeze him for each cent you pay and always do all you can to pay less, tell him you'll find a cheaper one but... sell your services to your buyers
Brad Felix
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the appearance of the book, it's actually a really informative step-by-stop guide on how to eliminate corporate waste (SG&A and marketing expenses) and how to be effective at sales (increase revenue), which ultimately leads to the promise of doubling your profits. It's more of a "profit mindset" that most firms simply don't have. Group all expenses into strategic or non-strategic. The result will likely prove that there are numerous non-strategic expenses hampering your profitability. ...more
P D Wright
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. A refreshing review of the basics.

A well structured read that may make certain leaders uncomfortable. A very clear message.. More execution, both sorts. If you don't have the stomach to do everything, everyone will make a difference.
Jonathan Isaac
I cannot find my copy of this book... someone probably swiped it from my shelf. Unreal!!
Jamie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super easy read that I plan to revisit in the future. It's full of suggestions for cutting costs, boosting revenue and creating the culture for those activities to thrive in. ...more
Tim Krete
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on the mindset necessary to be excellent at business. I would recommend this book to anybody looking to make a career in business.

• Sonho Grande
  • No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention
  • Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com
  • Only the Paranoid Survive. Lessons from the CEO of INTEL Corporation
  • Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies
  • Iracema
  • O Cortiço
  • Na Raça: Como Guilherme Benchimol Criou a Xp e Iniciou a Maior Revolução Do Mercado Financeiro Brasileiro
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Kick Butt Take No Prisoners Guide to Time Productivity and Sanity
  • Vicente Falconi: O que importa é resultado