Start by marking “We are not the first: Riddles of ancient science” as Want to Read:
We are not the first: Riddles of ancient science

We are not the first: Riddles of ancient science

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The development of modern science during the course of the past 400 years is merely a rediscovery of ancient knowledge.

- Atomic theory was worked out by Democritus 2500 years before Rutherford.

- Penicillin was used by the ancient Egyptians 4000 years before Fleming.

- Electric batteries were used by the Babylonians 2000 years before Volta's cells

- Space travel was descri
Published 1972 by Souvenir Press, London (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about We are not the first, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We are not the first

Max Nemtsov
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: far-east, mindfeck
Ну, начать с того, что эту книжку я читал в детстве, когда и английский не так хорошо знал. Помню, что она произвела на меня впечатление — но вот решил перечесть, чтобы освежить. И что вы думаете? Оказалось, она вполне годная — эдакий приятный научпоплит в духе нынешнего журнального, из того, что получше. Практически каталог необъясненных фактов и фактоидов из истории науки — преимущественно древней, понятно. Палеоконтакт и все дела, но это все и без меня знают. Но в моей жизни эта книжка описал ...more
Valenfore Alestreneon
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is okay. It makes a lot of great points and makes a good case for a technologically advanced civilization that predates modern times. But, unfortunately, the UFO bullshit rears its ugly head once again, polluting what would otherwise be a pretty darn good book if it would've just kept it down to Earth.
Daisy Clarkson
Aug 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
The subject of this book is fascinating.But we must not judge a book only on the basis of the subject.
It should be well written,in case of historic issues,well documented, with serious ,reliable references.
This book is very bad according to these requirements. It jumps from one problem to the other, never explaining well what the writer claims.
The author had money to travel the world to visit archeological sites,but he had no scientific seriousness to write a good book about his superficially me
Jeffrey Martin
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Some great historical mysterious lodged between crackpot theories and beliefs.
Ronald
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me, years ago, by my late friend Raj. Raj was interested in Fortean/paranormal subjects.

However, there is much in this book that is accepted by the academic community. This book is about science and technology which we usually consider modern, yet was anticipated by the ancients.

For example, in the Middle Ages, the geo-centric theory held sway, and we now accept helio-centrism. However, helio-cetrism was advocated by the ancient Greek astronomer Aristachus of Samos.
Victor Diaz Magallon
Es como leer un programa de History Channel. En parte divertido, en otras te hace pensar. Lo rescatable de este lo libro es, quiza, la forma en como la tesis se plantea. ¿En realidad tenemos más tiempo viviendo en la tierra de lo que imaginamos?

Es recomendable si te gusta la Ciencia Ficción y si también gozas de los programas de History Channel.
Cami
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
So interesting! Some parts felt like the author might be stretching theories a bit, but it was extremely gripping to read. I would liked to have been able to stop and research all the stories that are mentioned and I actually might still do that some time. It was written in 1971, so some of the information may have had new discoveries since then. It would be amazing if this text was updated! A fascinating read...
Jamal
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
For you who did not read it yet. You will be astonished to know that all the inventions of nowadays are actually re-inventions of what is already invented in the past. If the knowledge of our ancestors was passed down to us this is not the status of science, culture, ...etc we will be living in but something much more greater. There is a lot to say but it is for you to discover. goodreads.....
Larry Wegman
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
An interesting compilation of many unexplained, mysterious things that make it seem likely that there's more to the history of our planet than we've been taught. For many, the author draws speculative conclusions without logical reason. They're compiled by category rather than chronologically, making it even more difficult to buy his conclusion of ancient aliens.
Td
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you're into science, you can check this out.
Ruth Johnstone
Tommi
Jul 09, 2013
Gavish
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is really a very good book.
This shows that our science is too behind than before
Chuck
Sep 30, 2012
Eryn
Oct 04, 2015
Glenn
Jan 01, 2011
Elentarri
Extremely interesting!! Someone should write a similar book with updated information.
Kim
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Earth In Upheaval
  • Forgotten Civilization: The Role of Solar Outbursts in Our Past and Future
  • Gobekli Tepe: Genesis of the Gods: The Temple of the Watchers and the Discovery of Eden
  • The Scars of Evolution
  • The Lost Civilization Enigma: A New Inquiry into the Existence of Ancient Cities, Cultures, and Peoples Who Pre-Date Recorded History
  • The Giza Power Plant: Technologies of Ancient Egypt
  • Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
  • Dark Passions: Book 2 of 2 (Star Trek)
  • The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings
  • Hidden History: Lost Civilizations, Secret Knowledge, and Ancient Mysteries
  • Amy Girl
  • Doctor Who: Lords of the Storm
  • The United States and Britain in Prophecy
Andrew Thomas (1906-2001) was born in St. Petersburg in Russia, but after stopovers in Finland, Machuria, China and the USA, he later became an Australian citizen. He has written a number of books on the theme of ancient technology and wisdom.
His book on Atlantis is fairly pedestrian fare that purports to link Plato's city with an age of long lost high-technology.
More about Andrew Tomas...