Start by marking “Good Will Hunting” as Want to Read:
Good Will Hunting

Good Will Hunting

As director Gus Van Sant observes in the introduction to Matt Damon's and Ben Affleck's screenplay Good Will Hunting, the two young actors somewhat resemble the characters they play in the film: they're best friends, and Affleck (who plays Chuckie) habitually chauffeurs Damon (Will), who doesn't drive. Van Sant says we can see how badly Damon drives by watching the film's ...more
Published December 25th 1997 by Miramax Books

To ask other readers questions about Good Will Hunting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Will Hunting

Carol
"There are no finely drawn heroes or villains in the script. There is no right or wrong particularly-----there is something more like honor and dishonor within each character."

This wonderful screenplay, written by two lifelong friends, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck is set in South Boston as the central character, Will hides an enormous amount of past hurt while struggling to get-it-all-out with Sean, his appointed, quick-witted Psychology Professor....who has demons and sorrow of his own.

An orphan

Mostafa El-sayed
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: movies
Jowie
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you want a summary read the wikki but you should watch this movie because it is heart warming and accurately portrays real life cheracters.

Film are often credited for their character development and this film is no acceptation. Its clear cut with no extra bull, I appreciated the lack of needless scenes in this movie. Every place shown on camera had a meaning, every moment worked to add to character development. There was not a precious moment wasted in this wonderful work of art. The plot li
Jasynda Pham
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Freddy
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's especially fascinating to see the changes, however slight, made from script to film. After all, what sounds good on the page doesn't necessarily translate well on stage.
Vassilis
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite movies, based on a heart warming, simple but powerful sentimentally script. The characters built-up is really brilliant. It is all about how the past & experiences can tremendously affect our behavior and emotions, how one can be closed to himself due to pre-existing traumas. It is also how one should seek out for what satisfies his soul & what he really wants to do in his life, ignoring what his environment or society expects him to. It is, last, about openin ...more
Realini
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: delightful
Good Will Hunting by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck

This is a stupendous work that has launched the careers of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck
They have won both the Golden Globe and the Academy Award for their screenplay

Will Hunting is a hero, an Ubermensch and a complicated, anxious, troubled young man, prone to violence.
When the mathematics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology writes a complicated equation, Will solves it.

But he is only a janitor at M.I.T.
This could be perceived as a
Simon Sweetman
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was quite interesting to read this - nearly twenty years on from seeing the film. I never quite saw the fuss (of either the film or the script) and was firmly in the camp that believed William Goldman wrote/'fixed' this...That's probably not true, but where are the other great scripts from this dynamic writing duo? Some fine dialogue though, when revisiting this. I think I'd struggle to make it through the film again and care in any way but I did enjoy reading the script; didn't quite expect ...more
Jacque Rose
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a movie for the ages. We all love romance, this story has beautiful relationship presented on the screen but that's not even the best part of the story. Good Will Hunting talks about a complex young man with an amazing gift, but things are blocking his potential. The most important relationship in this story to me is actually Will and Sean. The gifted, troubled kid and the wise therapist. The screenplay itself was written beautifully with clear descriptions and clear directions. The dial ...more
Ashley
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Play. Some typos.
Really want to see my reaction when I compare this to the film (haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm reading the play first)!

some random notes:
-true happiness
-get out of the nest
Chris Adams
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting read. Seemed a bit more stilted on the page. Shows the value of a director and actors to really bring something, particularly a drama, to life.
Rachael
Profane, vulgar, tender, and yet, too simple on the page.
Steven Logan
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Very entertaining script.
Malika-Liki
I first adored the movie and I just enjoy watching it again and again and I have the same pleasure with the screenplay. reading it again and again whole or part of itWOW.
J.L.
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Using it for research. Big help.
Deyth Banger
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
The story is amazing there is something unique about it... and if you keep reading along... the lines you gonna feel it.
Alex Sheldon
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
proper sick innit
Steven
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent movie.

20-year-old Will Hunting of South Boston has a genius-level intellect and an eidetic memory, but chooses to work as a janitor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and spend his free time with his friends Chuckie Sullivan, Billy McBride, and Morgan O'Mally.

When Fields Medal-winning combinatorialist Professor Gerald Lambeau posts a difficult problem taken from algebraic graph theory as a challenge for his graduate students to solve, Will solves the problem quickly but anon
Alfred Haplo
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a shabby read. A book acquired for a piddly quarter and read on the fly. Assuming no spoiler warnings needed since no one reads a screenplay without having first watched the movie.

And a damn good movie it was. Good Will Hunting (GWH) was nominated for 9 Academy Awards and won two, including best original screenplay for Damon and Affleck, and best supporting actor for Williams. Nuanced performances from Matt Damon (“Will”), Ben Affleck (“Chuckie”), Robin Williams (“Sean”), Minnie Driver (“Sky
Grace Huang
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seen-in-movies
Robbin Williams coaching techniques can be implemented in real life in business and communication.
1. Think like a buyer/customer: you just met, and suddenly you are an expert in his business, telling him he’s an idiot---reason why the MIT professor couldn't handle him
2. Listen to learn, diagnose before you prescribe.
3. Mirroring the other person to understand him. Robin Williams sticked with the Southie rule and waited for Will to talk first during first session.
4. Leaders should also be good
Jack
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
There are a lot of good scripts throughout film history. Probably more good scripts than good films, for that matter. But when it comes down to it, there are fewer great scripts written by actors that launched successful careers after that film. The predominant one is Rocky, Stallone's script is so prototypical that it is often taught in Screenwriting structure classes. Another, not as prototypical, but very successful is Good Will Hunting.

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's dialogue is great, and ther
Daniel
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it

Headlines or sentences that should enforce a strong and firm belief that one needs to stop reading said news article:

07.) Opinion: Eighty percent of California is in "extreme" drought. But is that why its rivers are disappearing?

06.) Farmer bill dies in house.

05.) Miners refuse to work after death.

04.) School officials, who recently affixed signs marking the dorms with their new names, say the more easily pronounced versions** are easier for visitors, students and emergency responders to locate
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

I saw this movie twice in theatres, bought the DVD and watched it a few times more...it is among my top favourite movies. I cannot pin down the exact reason I like it or the stars. I ordered this screenplay because I was interested in seeing how much of it made it on screen, but also screen directions. The screenplay is worth it as it makes you appreciate the hard work from these then two unknown actor/screenwriters.
Jeffrey Howard
A screenplay with a powerful message told through raw and real characters. It felt real, and avoiding feeling contrived. I laughed openly a few times felt nearly moved to tears near the end. It is an impressive work for two young actors/writers.

It hit me close with its theme of not living beneath your privilege and letting people in.

The film itself was well-cast and certainly did the script justice.
K. Rezaiezadeh
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've seen the movie so many times that reading the script is an almost identical experience. Still, definitely a good script to read if you ever need convincing how much just the right actors adds to their parts.

Amusingly the character who goes on to be played by Robin Williams was envisioned very different physically, and there's a couple of interested scenes in here that didn't make it into the film. Little nuggets of info-crack for someone who loves Good Will Hunting as much as I do.
Jason
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's been 14 years since I last read the screenplay or saw the movie-and having re-read it I can still say that it's brilliant. The dialogue is quick and smart, the story is well thought out and packs an emotional punch. Having gone to High School with Matt and Ben it still amazes that they wrote such a great piece of cinematic literature. SO glad I revisited this one.
Michael
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I can dig it.

While it didn't blow me away in terms of any type of innovative strategies, its simplistic beauty caught my attention. Sparse the majority of the time.

The movie plays better than the script, I think, but that's me.
Jeremiah Hackler
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To be quite honest, I found the movie to be more fitting to this particular dialogue. This book sounds more like a script than a book, which is why I would prefer to watch the movie on this particular title.
G.M. Burrow
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: film
One of my favorite dialogue-(frequently monologue-)driven films ever.
Allison
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES??!!

• American Beauty: The Shooting Script
  • Before Sunrise & Before Sunset: Two Screenplays
  • Little Miss Sunshine: The Shooting Script
  • Almost Famous (Screenplays)
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • The Shawshank Redemption: The Shooting Script
  • Scar
  • (500) Days of Summer: The Shooting Script
  • Girl, Interrupted: Screenplay based on the book
Matthew Paige "Matt" Damon is an American actor, writer, and philanthropist whose career was launched following the success of the film Good Will Hunting, from a screenplay he co-wrote with friend Ben Affleck. The pair won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and the Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay for the work and Damon garnered multiple nominations for Best Actor, including the ...more
“Sometimes I wish I had never met you, because then I could go to sleep at night not knowing there was someone like you out there.” 58 likes
“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.” 45 likes