Start by marking “World Mythology An Anthology Of The Great Myths And Epics” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
World Mythology An Ant...

Donna Rosenberg

World Mythology An Anthology Of The Great Myths And Epics

This new edition of World Mythology offers 59 of the world's great myths form Greece and Rome, the Middle East, Northern Europe, the British Isles, the Far East and Pacific Islands, Africa, and the Americas.
Published (first published June 28th 1990)

Start your review of World Mythology An Anthology Of The Great Myths And Epics
Matt
Around the world numerous different peoples came up with explains about the natural world and their own cultural heritage, though separated by vast distances create obvious differences there is also many similarities. World Mythology: An Anthology of Great Myths and Epics by Donna Rosenberg brings together the stories of different cultures both well-known and hardly known together for a mass audience.

Rosenberg covers all corners of the world from such the well-known epics of Gilgamesh, The
Christopher
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year we're starting out Sophomore English with a unit on Creation Mythology before turning to The Odyssey. I'm using this book as the core text because it gives a very broad overview of world mythology in an intelligent, inclusive, and complex fashion. I like how it breaks mythology down into specific ethnic traditions: instead of a section on "African Myths," they tell you which group, such as the Yoruba, the myth comes from; instead of "South American Myths," you get myths from the ...more
Joshua Michail
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna Rosenberg created more than just an encyclopedia of myths from around the world in this book, she provides each myth in great detail along with some explanatory work. This book has proven to be an invaluable resource for expanding one's reading of classical literature. She categorized the sections by regions of the world, and offers background and introduction for each story. Among the many myths or stories are Beowulf, King Arthur, Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Virgil's Aeneid, Gilgamesh, ...more
JayeL
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, william
We bought this book to get more information about Greek Mythology following reading the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths version of Greek Mythology for kids. Over the years we have jumped around and read different myths and epics in this book, but we have mostly focused on the Greeks.

This time, however, we started with the old favorites and have just plowed through without picking and choosing. There are some very entertaining aspects of some of the unfamiliar myths. In one myth, the creator
William
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty thorough compilation of various myths from all sorts of culture, reading through too quickly may even give you a bit of culture shock, not just about what's different but even more surprisingly what's similar. It seems to have some chronological ordering, starting with ancient Assyrian before moving on the old standby Greek and Roman myths, you don't get to the Norse ones until quite a bit further in, and it ends with some seemingly uncommon recitals, from Africa and the Americas. Each ...more
Abby
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
Enjoyed the vivid writing which animates classic stories that far to often have the life recited out of them. It avoided the dullness of Edith Hamilton while avoiding the silliness Neil Gaiman's collection of Norse myths. Additionally, it was full of tales I'd never so much as heard of before. At times, it is easy to sense that pieces of a myth have been oversimplified, but of course, it is an anthology.

This book looks at myths in the sociological context of their region and time period. A
Isabella
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of mythology and fantasy
Actual Rating: 4.8 Stars

A wonderful collection of some of the world's most famous myths, World Mythology: An Anthology Of The Great Myths And Epics is a fantastic glance at the beliefs of very different cultures.

Once I started this book in my senior year mythology class, I knew that I had to buy it. It is a wonderful collection for those who are starting to study different myths and legendary epics. I really enjoy the style in which Donna Rosenberg translates these tales - simple, concise, yet
Rachel Chin
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very stunning compilation of the myths and epics around the world. I really love it! It's like a window to the past that shows us what the ancient people believed in, and how they lived with each other--of course, the written works were greatly influenced by what was happening in their environment and by their lifestyle during that time. I like how the book was made. I like that it gives us an overview of the tribe or country where the myth/epic belongs to. I like that it shows a brief ...more
Teri Temme
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! Wow. I feel as if I have time travelled over the past couple of weeks. I have read about the myths of Greece and Rome, The Middle East, Northern Europe, The British Isles, The Far East and the Pacific Islands, Africa and the Americas - quite the ride. Very sad I missed out on these earlier in life, but delighted to have discovered them now.

From The Ramayana: Sita to Rama: "Do not grieve over what you have had to do. Each of us must accept whatever life brings. Wherever there is
Shelly Hammond
This one was ok. Sort of had to read it for some college work. It had some good myths but for the length of the book and the myths it chose to use for the longer ones compared to those it chose for the shorter ones, it really doesn't get over a three star. It's not evil bad, just could have been a lot better. If you have to read it and know nothing at all about mythology you will learn a lot about the most famous Greek and Roman myths along with the legends of King Arthur, but most of the other ...more
♥ Cin
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students taking a Mythology Class
The book goes into very high level detail about the most famous myths and gives a good overview of the most famous gods and heroes/legends. I probably wouldn't pick this one up on my own since it's a hard read at times. The book gave me a really good basic understanding of mythology from all cultures and I find myself going back to reference when I come across mythology references in other literature. Good to have on the shelf and a good starter if you're interested in studying it.
Whitney
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great overview of general mythology. The synopses of various myths are accurate and each myth is preceded by a short introduction of sorts that explains important facts about the myth, its origin, its evolution over time, its importance to its culture of origin and any other cultures that may have adopted it. Anyway, I picked it up as a quick refresher of mythology and it was just right.
Amy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have never read mythology ever, so I surprised myself when I started getting into the stories we were told to read in Advanced Literature from this anthology including Heracles, Sigurd the Volsung, and King Arthur. It was interesting. I don't know if I would, even now, just pick up a book pertaining to mythology, but I know that if I do read one, I can come to appreciate and enjoy it.
Burcu
Don't be intimidated by the size of this volume; it flows relatively smoothly. Bringing together the "beginning" myths of various geographies establishes a good perspective on the relationship between narratives and the humanity's existential questions. The parallels, similarities and differences might change how you view humanity.
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
World Mythology is not the right title for the book. It is Mostly European Mythology with a little bit of other cultures. It is not bad but I would have liked more entries from non-european cultures. I am pretty familar with a lot of Western Mythology.
Monica
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edutivity
It's great... that's what you can call for this book. Full of literature and information about great epic and mythology that you always hear when you were school in a very detail way.
I found this book useful because the complete story and explanation for every mythology.
Leeann Sheriff
Short stories about different Mythological tales from around the world. Great detail and easy to learn about mythology. I would recommend this to anyone that loves to learn about Mythology but doesn't want to spend an outrageous amount of hours learning each tale.
Jane Francis
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-finished
Read for Mythology class. Really nice! Lots of background info for each myth (historical & cultural contexts), with myths being grouped by geographical local and preceded by a general cultural introduction on the mythology of each particular region from which the stories come.
Lorena
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought it was going to be. Had more to do with how/where myth stories originated from. Gives you snipits of the greats like the Illiad. It was a good starter book for wanting to learn about mythology stories.
Daniel Yocom
A good collection of world myths. They are broken down so you can read one area, or all. There is good information on how they compare. This is not an endpoint for learning about the myths and legends, but a tarting point to get the understanding and references to go deeper.
Megan
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I had to read most of this as a textbook for my mythology class and I loved it! Very well written except for the sheer amount of unneeded repetition in all of the stories. But a very good read if you are interested in world mythology and culture.
Richelle
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latin-and-greek
Read this one in high school, and was simply delighted when Mandie gave it to me for my birthday a few years back. It has reasonably well translated synopsized versions of archetypal myths (such as creation, deluge, and hero myths)from various cultures. I especially appreciated this arrangement.
Meghan
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great condensed versions of some of the greatest myths from around the world. Required reading for one of my classes, and one of the textbooks I actually looked forward to reading!
Cris
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's one of those books that you don't read from beginning to end. But very well done regardless.
Priscilla TF
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good for a quick summary of the different myths. very readable.
Mariah
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had many new stories that I had not yet read and information that I had not known. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Kareena
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the storylines of major myths but don't want to read the whole thing
Summarizes all the major myths into digestible stories. So far have read through the Greek myths and am working on the next chapters.
Chris
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the selection of myths, and the introductions for each myth were helpful and added historical context, but I wish the versions of the myths they used were closer to the "original" translations. They are heavily edited and "dumbed down" to a elementary school reading level in most cases. (For example, the way they simplified Medea to a state that left no semblance of the poetry of the original myth is absolutely criminal.)

But then again, it was an English 200-level class, so I guess
Dave Evans
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mythology
A compendium of world myths, written in clear English!

If you're interested in Mythology then get this book! It's a great reference and a book that a frequently return too. It's a compendium of world myths, written in clear English!

Can't really go wrong with this book if you are a layperson.
Brittney
Required book for my mythology class. Well written and history/culture before each myth. I have the orange book with a women wrapped in ribbon falling. Claims to be the 3rd edition on the cover, but is actually the second edition, written on the first page. I dont understand why

• İngiliz Edebiyatı Tarihi
  • Mindscan
  • Boy Kings of Texas: A Memoir
  • Where I End and You Begin
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • The Complete Short Stories
  • The Skillful Huntsman: Visual Development of a Grimm Tale at Art Center College of Design
  • How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • 2312
  • Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
  • The Guerrilla Factory: The Making Of Special Forces Officers, The Green Berets
  • Alan Moore's Writing for Comics