Start by marking “The Order of the Rose (The Rose Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Order of the Rose (The Rose Chronicles #1)

The Order of the Rose

(The Rose Chronicles #1)

“You possess a power as great as that of the false Empress. You do not understand it yet but you will come to learn its true nature. It is the only match to true evil. You doubt it, but you must embrace it or you will fail.”

Published September 2013 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Order of the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Order of the Rose

Start your review of The Order of the Rose (The Rose Chronicles #1)
Highfaefiction
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5⭐️
BookBehindYou
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mix of Star Wars and Harry Potter with Rebel witches and wizards fighting against an evil Empire. We follow Carey and her friends as they fight back against the Empire with twists and turns and non-stop action.⁣

I really enjoyed the novel's focus on friendship and the fantasy world. The book is set in an olden day Ireland and "mystic realm" full of magic, which includes anything from protectic spells to mermaids. I wish there was more world building, but I have a feeling book 2 might expand on
Casey (through.thepages)

Full review to come

4/5 stars
E.H. Alger
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced YA story in which the action never lets up from the first page. Though I’m no longer the right reader for it, I know my teenage self would have loved it!

Our heroine Carey, suffering amnesia, escapes from a horrible orphanage and finds herself, with friends from her unremembered past, Kat and Ji, instantly fleeing from, or fighting, evil. She not only discovers that she’s part of a rebel order set up by her grandmother many years ago to fight the evil Empress Malevolent, but
A.D Silver
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Order Of The Rose 🌹

Stars: 🌟🌟🌟✨

I loved reading the magical world especially following our 3 main sorcerers in the story they were a joy to read let alone the magical creatures that show up along the way as the friends fight to defeat the evil empress with having nothing on there back besides there magic and a bit of luck.

What l liked most was the friendship between the 3 friends that grow on the way with a pinch of romance between Ji and Carey and the description of the places they visit.

Unfortu
Ali
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly couldn’t stop reading once I picked this up. The world building was incredible, I loved the magic & fighting and the ninja feel of some of the attacks! Ive got so many feelings about this incredible trio of main characters. I look forward to finding out what happens in book two! ...more
Charlie Allin
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, found it was an amazing start to a series which I truly look forward to carrying on when the next book is out! If you are a fantasy fan you are going to want to read this!
Jodie- Readthewriteact
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This book is filled with magic and adventure. Carey Lee has just found out that she is a witch and that there is an evil mistress wanting to kill her and wipe out her kind. So an epic adventure begins with betrayals, deception, battles and friendship. I really loved how while this book is part of a series it still holds its own as a novel. Yes you are left with wanting more but it is its own complete story. You rarely see that especially in YA books nowadays.
Sammi
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sent
Just finished this book - finally haha! But I really did quite like it. It’s a YA fantasy with plenty of magic that reminded me a bit of Harry Potter, in a good way!

The main plot is about a world in which a dark evil lead by a horrible enchantress is dominating. It follows our MC, Carey Lee, whose family was a group of seekers who sought to defeat this evil.

The characters. First, Carey. As the book was written from her perspective, we saw a lot of her fears, doubts and insecurities, which was gr
Aimee
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! This review and others like it can be found on my blog: www.readingsumpton.com

This was an interesting read for me. I am definitely no longer the intended audience, and being a fairly well read adult woman, at times it felt a little too young for my tastes. However, I think younger readers would find this action packed adventure/fantasy rather enjoyable.

The Order Of The Rose tells the story of Carey. A young teenage girl suffering from amnesia after a traumatic childhood event. Who, up
Jade
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults
Shelves: canberra
I'm always on the lookout for local writers to support, so I snapped up a copy of Alysha's debut effort. When I heard that book two was in the works, I moved this to the top of my to-read pile.

Without getting into spoilers, the vibe of the book is not dissimilar to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: a trio of teens have a dangerous mission - but neither the teens nor the reader have any concrete idea how they will accomplish it. A lot of the story is shaped by the dynamics of the trio (again
Lola's Library
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 – loyal friendships, spell-binding action and epic magic-use are among some of the things this wonderful little book has to offer.

This little book was jam packed from start to finish and I thoroughly enjoyed it!! Not my absolute favourite read of the year and definitely not what I was expecting when I went into it, but a lovely adventure just the same.

We follow three young heroes on a quest to defeat the evil sorceress and basically save the world. I got strong Harry Potter/Throne of Glass
Jem
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of the book by the author for review. I really enjoyed this book, it reminded me of Harry Potter and Deltora Quest with a bit of Narnia thrown in 😊 It had me hooked from the start and it included some twists and turns along the way. It has a good pace and Alysha has a way of describing things well but not going over the top with it 😊 It is set in real world Ireland with a fantasy world over the top. I didn't realise it was set in Ireland until it was mentioned but if I had know ...more
Teagan
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent this book by Alysha the author for me to read and review. I really enjoyed this book. It has a great hook not even twenty pages into the book and I was already shocked in a good way!
At the beginning of this book I was getting serious Cinderella vibes and I loved it! It was short lived but I enjoyed it while it was there!
Carey grew throughout the book mostly towards the end which was brilliant and I was a little worried it wasn’t going to happen but it did 🎉
The ending was great and
Bibliophile Mom
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alyshia King’s debut novel is beautifully written and very promising. The first few chapters instantly caught my full and undivided attention and I found myself already reading 100 pages or so the moment I sat down. The characters are intriguing, hence, I was eager to get to know them better and deeper. It’s like Harry Potter meets Percy Jackson. Like these two series, it also involves the main character’s journey towards a certain goal whilst facing lots of challenges. Her strengths and weaknes ...more
Miss.booknoxious
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Order of the Rose' had a shocking beginning which effectively caught my attention and kept me hooked through the next chapters. Carey Lee was a strong character throughout the book and it took me a while to understand the complete situation because the story progressed pretty quickly. But, to be honest I felt the later chapters were a little too long. Now, don't get me wrong here, every detail of each chapter was totally necessary without which the story would feel empty. (I might have also ...more
Abbie
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Order of the Rose, by Alysha King, is about a world in the grips of evil, and the few people remaining who haven't yet given up on freeing it. It follows a group of young people as they struggle to overcome evil.
I really enjoyed it. There is lots of character building in this book, and the main characters become more vivid as the story goes on. The world building is lovely and by the end of the book I was able to build a picture in my mind of the worlds.
There is a lot going on in this book,
Shell
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from Voracious Readers Only, in exchange for an honest review.
Loved this book, there was nonstop action right from the first page to the last page.
It was a roller-caster ride of a read and I loved every minute of it. I found myself going through so many different emotions while reading this book, it was incredible.
Sandy Fetchko
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Fairly well thought out and written with lots of action. Very easy to read. Geared to young adults.

NOTE: Received a complimentary review copy through Voracious Readers.
Ashliegh
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this book! The characters were relatable and had reasonable development given the time it was set over.

Easy to read and follow along, so looking forward to the next one!
Sharon Lash
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Myra (Pieces of Whimsy)
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review first published on my blog, Pieces of Whimsy

This book was epic, dark, magical fantasy, a kind I really, really like and Alysha has done an amazing job with it! The characters all had their own personalities/traits and were all brilliant to read.

I really love having heroes/heroines in books (especially fantasy books) and it makes me even happier when they're part of a small group, friends working together, through thick and thin, to save the day! I really loved the trio in this book, the '
Ellen
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were both positive and negative elements to the story writing technique deployed by the author, however, even with the positives I still found it a struggle to finish reading the book. I shall start with the positives;

The POV character that you follow through most of the story, Carey, is in a orphanage having lost her memory from before the age of 9 believing her parents to be dead. An evil witch controls the empire named Malovance- a name which I felt lacked creativity generally but deci
Buttercupp77
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
While the premise of this novel has a lot of promise, the execution really was lacking for me.

The basic story is a sort of hero's journey/chosen one amalgamation. It draws upon fairy tales (both traditional and modern). There are a lot of intriguing elements that have been introduced, so the potential is definitely there to tell an interesting story.

The pacing of the story was quick - there was very little down-time for the characters between action scenes. At the same time, the novel felt bloa
Kelli
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for the most part, although there were quite a few things that irked me but these could be personal taste.
First, the good stuff - interesting characters, plenty of plot twists to keep it interesting, pacy, hefty length so you had enough time to get into the story and care about the outcome.
There were, however, a number of areas for potential improvement; I hope the author takes these comments in the helpful spirit in which these are meant.
The prologue felt longer than the w
Nic
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
When Carey Lee discovers that not only is she a witch but also part of a rebel order, she figures it can’t be any worse than the life from which she just escaped. Little is she prepared though for what lies ahead - an all-powerful empire and a murderous Empress, a seemingly impossible quest to rescue her family, and a power so dark that Carey begins to doubt her very existence.

This is a very fast-paced plot, and for this reason I didn’t get bored while reading this. However, I would have loved m
Laney
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The plot is often furthered by the main characters poor judgement, the romance leaves something to be desired, and the emotional scenes seem to just slightly miss the mark.

HOWEVER, there are definitely aspects of the book I did enjoy. There were a few twists that made me shout at the book, a scene that *almost* had me in tears, a character that I would sell my soul for, and the ending definitely left me wanting more.

Considering this is a debut novel, I think it is worth giving a chance, as I can
Katie
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi, ya
A good premise but the execution is lacking. I felt the author was telling rather than showing and a lot of sentences felt like she was stating the obvious. Another thing that got on my nerves was the number of times Carey passed out. This gave the impression that the author had got Carey into a sticky situation but didn’t know how to get her out and solved it by causing her to black out. By the time Carey comes round the situation has been resolved by Ji and Kat. As a character Carey was far to ...more
Emily
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a bit of a let down for me guys. It started off really well, the opening scene was so vivid and intriguing. I just felt like this book was all building up to something but the climax just fell flat.

I also found the plot to be very predictable. And (I can't think of a better way to say this but,) the characters are just not smart. They're teenagers but there are just some things that they should have obviously known.

Overall I'd say that there are some scenes that were done very well

• DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • Vengeance Blooms: Guardians of the Grove Trilogy
  • Tribal Lores
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Regretting You
  • When Rain Turns to Snow
  • Break the Fall
  • The Crowning: Book 1
  • The City of Zirdai (Archives of the Invisible Sword, #2)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Mall
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novelization
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
  • The Long Distance Playlist
  • Heart of a Crown: Book 3 of The Crowning series
  • The Dark Tide (The Dark Tide, #1)
  • Frozen (Heart of Dread, #1)
My first Young Adult novel, The Order of the Rose, was published in 2013 with an illustrated version published in 2015. It is available online in paperback and ebook. The follow up novel to The Order of the Rose, The Dragon's Heart, will be available in 2019.

In addition to writing the Rose Chronicles trilogy, I am researching for a historical fiction novel set in Darwin during WWII.

My author inf

The Rose Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Dragon's Heart (The Rose Chronicles #2)