Start by marking “Throy (Cadwal Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Throy (Cadwal Chronicles, #3)

Throy

(Cadwal Chronicles #3)

In the conclusion of the Cadwal Chronicles, the convoluted plots and politics that have swirled around the House of Clattuc and the Conservancy of Cadwal are beginning to unravel. But what remains for Glawen Clattuc to discover could bring down a dozen powerful families on as many worlds. Vance has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards for his work.
Published May 1st 1993 by Tor Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Throy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Throy

Start your review of Throy (Cadwal Chronicles, #3)
Jaro
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A neat and satisfying conclusion to the Cadwal saga. As interesting and energetic as the first two books, only shorter. We see less of Wayness Tamm, but instead we get the intriguing and elusive Flitz.
Derek
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me greatly of Ports of Call. Later Vance, still beautiful to read, but having a feel that the author is cleaning out his notebook of ideas that don't merit a full adventure, and is just providing opportunities for characters to trade barbed witticisms in elaborate verbal duels. After the high point of the series in Ecce and Old Earth, this is an extended wrapping-up of affairs.

A hoped for team-up of Glawen and his quietly bethrothed, Wayness, never comes to pass as she is shunted as
Elar
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Too much of bureaucratic struggle and too little of adventure/action.
Ivan Stoner
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
What's disappointing about Throy is that it represents a big missed opportunity for Vance at the height of his powers.

It doesn't have the scope of Araminta Station; it's not as interesting as Ecce and Old Earth; it doesn't break brilliant new ground in a new genre like Lyonesse; and it's not "late Vance unchained" (that would come later). It's a regression, and it feels half-hearted.

Maybe the most bitter pill to swallow is that it had a setup for something awesome and new for Vance -- a husban
Metaphorosis
Sadly, Throy doesn't live up to its predecessors, Araminta Station and Ecce and Old Earth. It's still Vance, and therefore a fun read. But he doesn't seem to have put much effort into this book, which seems a somewhat half-hearted effort to tie up loose ends. There's not a lot of mystery, and the expected resolution comes about, though with more callous bloodshed than one might anticipate.

All in all, a decent and readable book. Definitely worth reading to finish up the series, but otherwise not
TJ
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throy was first published in 1992 so is one of Vance's later works. Throy is is 234 pages long, making it significantly shorter than the first two novels in the series The Cadwal Chronicles. Although Throy is worth reading if one has read the other two novels, it is the weakest of the three in the series. It does not have the fascinating world building, complex plot and interesting character development of the brilliantly written Araminta Station nor does it have the mystery, suspense, drama and ...more
Jeffrey Daniels
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The third book in the Cadwal Chronicles by the master, Jack Vance, is a bit of a puzzle.

The book seems only tangentially connected to the first two in that it features some of the characters and has about it some plot threads that could be construed as "hanging" from the first two books.

In actuality, it plays almost as a separate book, with the ending of Book 2 (Ecce and Old Earth) effectively tying up the true crisis.

Additionally, there is no defined main character. In Book 1 (Araminta Station)
Farseer
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The conclusion of the trilogy, and I'm glad it's over. This is very late Vance and, to tell you the truth, it's not among his best. You see examples of his imagination for creating alien worlds, but this story is a bit too conventional and old-fashioned. It's not that old (this book was written in the early 90s) but it could have been written much earlier, and some of the values that the story takes for granted are a bit dubious for modern readers. Also, the bad guys are so dumb and incompetent ...more
Xabi1990
7/10. Media de los 30 libros leídos del autor : 7/10.

Nada menos que 30 libros leí de Vance, la mayoría de joven lector de CF en editoriales míticas: Orbis, Edhasa, Ultramar, Nova,...
De imaginación desbordante, creaba mundos y sociedades como churros, desbordando imaginación y superando nuestra capacidad de asombro. Una media de 7/10 en tantos libros no es fácil de mantener.

Creó muchas sagas (ninguna mala o aburrida) y me quedo con la de "Tschai", que son 4 libros. Si hubiera de escoger uno que n
David Meiklejohn
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The planet charter is safe but the bad guys are still on the loose and Glawen is out to sort things out as he follows the trail and ties up the loose ends from the previous two books. This last book was the shortest and weakest of the three Cadwal books but still has plenty of Vance's style and humour. ...more
Ondřej Šefčík
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
The third part of the trilogy is not so awesome as the first one or the second one, especially since main problems have been already solved... this one is more about cleaning the table, joining the loose ends and to marry even the unexpected protagonists. However, since this is Jack Vance, it is still full of imagination, sharp witticisms and baroque language.
Hans van der Veeke
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Final volume of this trilogy. Although it answers many unanswered questions, I still get the feeling that Vance was done with this story. It is not as intricate and elaborate as the previous two volumes but merely wraps things up.
Toby
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable ending to a great series
Guideaux Hiers
It's okay ...more
Till Noever
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magic

As always, Jack’s worlds pass by us in A magic whirlwind of caleidoscopic colours and characters, making us return to our own world and finding it rather bland and mundane.
Tex-49
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il migliore dei libri di questo ciclo, quello più movimentato.
Andrew Hamblin
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The bad guys' plans to secure the Charter was thwarted in "Ecce and Old Earth", but they are still at large: Araminta Station's Bureau B is concerned that plans to transport thousands of Yips to the mainland are still underway. Glawen, along with Eustace Chilke, the earthy lead-spaceport-technician-cum-Bureau-B-officer, head off-world to track down the principals through their connection with Lewyn Barduys, construction magnate, and his mysterious female companion Flitz.

This book is the shortest
Jeremy Baker
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Part of what makes Jack Vance such a master is the casual way he conjures entire planets full of dynamic societies, even for minor stopovers in the story. This may be partially due to the fact that he goes out of his way to present deadly wilderness alongside civilization. There's a fair amount of gunplay (though usually directed at the literal beasts), but the primary conflict is always between societies and in this regard I have to stand in awe of his imagination.

For that and other reasons I e
Rog Harrison
"This is the third book in the Cadwal series where Jack Vance ties up all the loose ends. I think he must have liked the characters as he could have stopped after "Ecce & Old Earth". I have read this book many times and always enjoy it but I would hesitate to recommend it as a must read." was what I wrote on 9 June 2012.

I think that's a fair review. This is a much shorter book than the previous two books in the series and sadly a lot of people die.
Geir
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A somewhat rambling plot for the most part, with the characterization and witty dialogue the most attractive. In the last part of the book however, several dangling threads are neatly tied up, and we get our happily ever after.
Ariel
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Las novelas de Vance siempre son vertiginosas.
Edwin
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Minder dan de voorgaande twee delen. Had het idee dat er snel naar een einde toegewerkt moest worden. Toch wel een leuk verhaal.
Els De Keuster
Dec 24, 2012

• Once & Future, Vol. 1: The King is Undead
  • Descender, Vol. 3: Singularities
  • SH3 volym 2: Jag gråter bara i andra dimensioner
  • Ett liv utan superkrafter är väl inte värt att leva? (SH3, #1)
  • Descender, Vol. 2: Machine Moon
  • Giant-Size Kung Fu Bible Stories
  • Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Ringworld (Ringworld, #1)
  • Justice League of America: The Wedding of the Atom and Jean Loring
  • Metropolitan (Metropolitan, #1)
  • De kooi: Een undercoveragent over het best bewaarde geheim van de Nederlandse politie
  • Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #3)
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Empty Zone, Vol. 1: Conversations With The Dead
  • A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2)
  • 14 gemiste oproepen van Cruijff: de beste sportverhalen van Michel van Egmond
Aka John Holbrook Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth , was published in 1950 to g

Cadwal Chronicles (3 books)
  • Araminta Station (Cadwal Chronicles, #1)
  • Ecce and Old Earth (Cadwal Chronicles, #2)