Start by marking “Ein Tropfen Zeit” as Want to Read:
Ein Tropfen Zeit

Ein Tropfen Zeit

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  7,309 Ratings  ·  719 Reviews
Magnus Lane, Professor für Biophysik in London, hat ein ungewöhnliches Hobby: Er experimentiert heimlich mit einer Zeitdroge. Sein Freund Richard Young stellt sich für einen Versuch zur Verfügung. In einem abgelegenen Landhaus in Cornwall geschieht das Unglaubliche: Young begibt sich für Stunden auf eine Zeitreise und wird um etwa siebenhundert Jahre zurückversetzt. Die be ...more
Published by Büchergilde Gutenberg (first published 1969)

Jean
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a few of Daphne du Maurier's novels and short stories have been made into films, and this is how many people have come to discover her work. The House on the Strand is one of her lesser-known novels; the penultimate novel by Daphne du Maurier from 1969. It is an unusual work about time travel and mind-expanding drugs; themes which could be thought of as apposite for the time.

The author thrusts us straight into the action with a beautifully written and vividly descriptive episode. The viewp
Elyse
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a CRAZY-GOOD-BOOK years ago called "Blinding Light", by Paul Theroux that "The House on the Strand", reminded me of at times. -CRAZY ....but addicting!!! I

In both books we get drawn into the main characters experience on a hallucinogenic drug. The tension-suspense- fantasy -is...... C R A Z Y!!! -- and GOOD!!!
I 'admit' ---I liked Paul Theroux's book better a little better than Ms. Maurier --- as this book was a sloggy-slow start ... and got confusing in parts -but then got WILD-FUN again-
Phrynne
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Who would have thought that the words 'time travel' and 'Daphne du Maurier' would go together in one sentence? Nevertheless this is exactly what she has written in The House on the Strand and she does it very well indeed!

I loved the Cornish setting, all those places I have been and seen and which Du Maurier loved so much. The main character time travels (or does he?) back to the fourteenth century to a place where he can observe events but cannot participate in any way. His biggest problem is th
Andrei Bădică
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" Nu m-a surprins convingerea lui Magnus că voi continua să-i fiu cobai. Acest lucru caracterizase prietenia noastră de-a lungul anilor, atât la Cambridge cât și mai apoi. Jucasem cum îmi cânta el, nu numai în escapadele compromițătoare din timpul anilor de studenție, ci și mai târziu, când drumurile noastre s-au despărțit, el urmându-și cariera, de biofizician și apoi de profesor la Universitatea din Londra, iar eu intrând în rutina searbădă a vieții de editură."
" Stăteam treaz și mă gândeam ce
Madeline
Daphne du Maurier and time travel? Sure, let's give it a shot.

That was my entire thought process when I decided to buy this from a secondhand bookstore last summer. Rebecca is terrifying and brilliant, and I figured that if du Maurier applied even a portion of her talent to this story, it wouldn't be half bad. And it wasn't. I still prefer Rebecca, but who doesn't.

Our protagonist is Dick Young, and he's agreed to be part of an experiment done by his college friend, Professor Magnus Lane. Dick wi
Sara
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daphne du Maurier writes very deep books that masquerade as mystery/romances. No two are alike, and in this novel she steps into the world of time travel (or maybe she doesn’t). After all, have you ever read a du Maurier that didn’t pose more questions than it answered?

We are taken into the world of Richard Young, a man who has reached a crossroads in life and is contemplating what his next step is going to be. His best friend, Magnus, a bit of a mad scientist, has loaned Richard his home in Cor
Misfit
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We are all bound, one to the other, through time and eternity"

While vacationing at the Cornwall home of old chum Magnus, Richard Young is convinced to act as guinea pig for his friend's latest experiment - a drug that enables the mind to travel into the past - although the body stays in the present. Richard's "trips" take him to the 14C where he is soon so wrapped up in the past that it becomes as addictive to him as a drug - or is it the drug itself that is addictive? Are the lives of those in
Enchantress  debbicat ☮
Elizabeth
May 18, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Carol Fullerton
Shelves: chocolate-club
An unusual DuMaurier in that it's a time-travel novel. I found it quite readable, but I could not make myself pay any attention to the complex relationships, housing arrangements and hierarchies of the 13th century characters--very odd, because I got the impression they were supposed to be so much more vivid and intense than the modern day characters. I had not before encountered the idea of time travel as an effect of inherited memory combined with hallucinogenic drugs... I liked the idea, it w ...more
Christine
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DuMaurier & history novel lovers
Recommended to Christine by: I read every DuMaurier book
This book is a wonderful time travel story.
When Daphne DuMaurier had to leave her home of 25 years, Menabilly close to Gribbin Head (the model for Manderley in "Rebecca") outside of Fowey, her husband signed a lease for another house close-by owned by the same Rashleigh family who owns Menabilly. So she moved to Kilmerth/Kilmarth shortly after her husband died (BTW her husband was Major Browning whose WW II quote "This was a Bridge too far" became famous and later even a book title).

In the basem
  • The Fountain Overflows
  • South Riding
  • Vera
2001717
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a fami
More about Daphne du Maurier...