Start by marking “Mary Poppins - the Complete Collection” as Want to Read:
Mary Poppins - the Complete Collection

Mary Poppins - the Complete Collection

(Mary Poppins #1-6)

This fantastic omnibus edition contains all six original Mary Poppins stories: Mary Poppins, Mary Poppins Comes Back, Mary Poppins Opens the Door, Mary Poppins in the Park, Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane / Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (2-in-1 edition). All magical children's classics, it’s the perfect gift.

When their new nanny, Mary Poppins, arrives on a gust of

Published November 28th 2013 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1997)

Start your review of Mary Poppins - the Complete Collection
Amy
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Mary is rude. She's vain. She is cousin to a snake. My point is - she is no Julie Andrews. Although she is cranky and snippy, she is also firm, fair, and compassionate. This is exactly why children are drawn to her. She is real and yet also magical. Disney still got it wrong but I'm looking forward to viewing the movie about what Ms. Travers thought about it all.

In reading this book only because I wanted to know how it was written before watching the movie mentioned above ... I discovered
Wajiha
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This one is the complete edition with all six books in one, and I recommend reading all of them together. Why? because at first you will detest Mary Poppins, she is unpleasant, conceited, overbearing, full of herself, insufferable; absolutely nothing like the Mary Poppins in the film. After the first book I couldn't understand why Michael and Jane liked her so much, I couldn't understand why the books have endured for nearly 80 years, and I really really wanted to rate it a 2 out of 5.

And then
Judy
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book one in the collection is the Mary Poppins I grew up with from the movie. Loved her. Then as I read further I felt more and more unsettled with some of the concepts and the darkness coming through. I put it aside for months, thinking I may come back and read the final book, but it have no desire to do so yet. Maybe one day I will return. I alternated between boredom and a deep sense of unease.

To be honest if I had young folk in my life I would show them the movie till the DVD wore out, till
PelicanFreak
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you grew up watching the Disney classic by the same name, like myself you might have expectations for this book. Ditch them all and treat yourself to what is a GREAT READ . I cannot stress enough that this is NOTHING like the Disney movie of the same name, but it is a great read - especially if you leave your mind open. As it describes the adventures Jane, Michael & the twins go on with Mary, a VERY vain and rather crude woman, it does allude to certain possibilities and worlds that most ...more
Rachel Slocombe
Mary Poppins is rude and vain and pretty unpleasant, she belittles people and punishes people (especially gold digging women) in really harsh ways. I'm not sure why children would like her or want to be in her care.
At points the stories got repetitive between books. Also, the chapters are really long and as I was reading it aloud it just made bedtime take forever!
Joanne Myers
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Today I finally finished reading the Complete Mary Poppins collection of books. 6 books in total, equating to approximately 9 hours worth of reading. It doesn't sound much for 6 books but when reading on my kindle as one complete book it seemed to be a daunting task. However, it was far from a drag.
The first three books are about Mary Poppins and her three (which is the magic number) visits to the Banks children. The second three books are extra stories of the adventures that the children had
Simone Ramone
Went slowly downhill a-la the Anne of Green Gables series. Became repetitive but I still really liked the cranky old magical cow.
Rebecca
Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Comes Back
Mary
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
23-11-19
Well. Review to come on THIS one. Yeesshhh ...

-------------------
David
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
You know how people are always saying that the book was so much better than the movie? In this case, I'm sorry, but they are wrong.

I wanted to read this because of seeing "Saving Mr. Banks" and recognizing that the writer used her own life circumstances--

The film, Mary Poppins, did a great job of making this series of imaginative scenes pop off the screen-- whereas, in print, they are not nearly as much fun. Mary Poppins is an enigma, a special person full of special magic (a good witch?) --
Noelle
While I enjoyed the original Mary Poppins (book 1), I had to give up on this omnibus edition. Mary is downright unlikeable. She’s not just strict or stern, she’s rude. If I had to continue reading her huffing and snapping at people who’d merely greeted her or gave her a compliment, I’d scream. Disney really did a great job turning her into someone you could be a little afraid of at times, but completely charismatic and deep down, a good person. Read book 1, forget the rest.
Caroline Handley
Nothing like the Disney movie and Mary Poppins is definitely no Julie Andrews she is much more fierce but she is fair and you are drawn to her. Read this book as I had watched the Saving Mr Banks film and wanted to see why P L Travers was so against the Disney version. I can see where she was coming from as the film is not really anything like the books. Enjoyed the books though and found them magical.
Tanita Swanepoel
I really loved them. Mary Poppins taught the Banks children scary lessons, but always kept them safe. She is extremely vain and a little rude at times, but still manages to show the children how much she loves them (especially when she leaves at the end of the book). I'll probably read the series again sometimes
Fuzzy Buzzy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 stars for the complete collection of the books about Mary Poppins, my heroine from my childhood.

4 stars for this edition because it lacked of the original drawings by Mary Shepard, what a shame! I am the lucky owner of the old editions with plenty of drawings and that's another reason why I loved those books so much when I was young.
Zara Mcaspurren
How Can You Resist?

Mary Poppins is one of those figures from childhood that you should never feel like you can't revisit. Not only would she pull you up for the rudeness, there just so many layers to the stories that you will always catch something new in it. This collection has all the stories, and it's great to be able to read them all. Well worth it.
Aneira Hayward
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally different from the Disney film, Mary is not a very nice person, never has anything nice to say and has no redeeming features! She's very rude and I found myself disliking her very early on.
Elizabeth
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical! A very different Mary Poppins to the movie!!
Leah
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every page of this book! This book is full of fun & frivolity while at the same time lots of old fashioned no nonsense discipline & sensibility :O)
NJ Wong
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it was 1975 when I last read P L Travers' Mary Poppins books from the public library (and I believe the public library had only just the first 2 books then). Thus, reading all the 6 books now was very refreshing, as I have completely forgotten everything.

My brain has been completely infected by Walt Disney's film, and I have watched the film multiple times over the past 40 years. So it was quite astonishing on reading the original books now that the book version of Mary Poppins is
Cookie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
#cookiereads Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
This book contains the entire Mary Poppins series, six books in total.
If you are expecting Mary Poppins like the Disney version starring Julie Andrews DO NOT read this book.
Mary Poppins is a completely different character. At times she can be rude and a little vain (ok a lot). But overall she loves the children (there are five in this book instead of four). And there is exactly zero singing in this book.
The plot of the book is basically the same as
Bex
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, it's a bit of a classic isn't it ... not that I ever read them as a child, but did watch the film (not seen the new one yet). I downloaded this (which is at least 4 books, TBH) after watching the Tom Hanks film re Travers life, and found the stories quite captivating. They do get a little 'samey' towards the end, but then I'm not the target audience, and am not nostalgic for reading these in my childhood. So ended up reading it in bits and bobs, and enjoyed watching the pattern of each ...more
Sammy Young
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Omnibus consists of 6 novels & novellas. I would like to break each down individually using Goodreads 5 star rating method, though I do think all stories in the book are worth a read!

Mary Poppins - 3.75
Mary Poppins Comes Back - 4
Mary Poppins Opens The Door - 3.25
Mary Poppins In The Park - 2.75
Mary Poppins In Cherry Tree Lane - 2.75
Mary Poppins And The House Next Door - 2.5

Which gives an average of 3 stars however, I simply enjoyed the first 3 books in particular so much that I didn't
Suzie Amirbekian
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot because it had a lot of twists and turns. I did feel quite sad when Mary Poppins came and went. Jane, Michael, John,Barbara and Annabel were always so sad when she suddenly disappeared. If you had ever watched the movie, it is much more different. There are many new and different characters such as Ms. Andrew and Mrs. Lark. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure and mirth.
Dawn
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun book to read with my son. It was a little hard for him to read but I think he did a wonderful job for being in the 2nd grade.

My son would like to go on some of the adventures the Mary Poppibs and her charges went on
Mylene
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished, women
The first 3 books are good, great to see how it influenced the movies and where it differs too. After a while it becomes really same-y and frankly a bit boring. probably made to dip in and out of and not to be read in one straight... but I'd still recommend it.
Eunice
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved that Mary Poppins was flawed and real, and not saccharinely sweet as in the Disney movie. She also often intimidated the children into silence and belittled others which I was uncomfortable with. I have mixed feelings about this book, hence 3 stars.
Nicola
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-books
Awful

I don’t see what the fuss is with these books. Thank god the movie is so much better. Such boring books
Jo Hastings
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, children-s
Pure magic
Linda
Some chapters were fun to read; others were a chore. While I normally like books better, I'll vote for the movie over the book this time! The first couple of books were definitely the best.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Why The Omission of Illustrations? 1 4 Oct 05, 2014 08:05PM

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Magical Movie Handbook
  • Inside the Magic: The Making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Character Guide (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
  • The Clothes They Stood Up In
  • Viaje al Centro de la Tierra
  • Hetty Feather (Hetty Feather, #1)
  • Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: Movie Magic
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Encyclopedia: Harry Potter a - Z
  • J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World: Movie Magic Volume Two: Curious Creatures
  • Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • Ten Beautiful Assassins
  • The Adventurers
  • The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • Harry Potter Collector's Handbook
Pamela Lyndon Travers was an Australian novelist, actress and journalist, popularly remembered for her series of children's novels about mystical nanny Mary Poppins.
She was born to bank manager Travers Robert Goff and Margaret Agnes. Her father died when she was seven, and although "epileptic seizure delirium" was given as the cause of death, Travers herself "always believed the underlying cause

Mary Poppins (6 books)
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)
“There was something strange and extraordinary about her – something that was frightening and at the same time most exciting.” 26 likes
“Next time you must stay for tea and we'll all sit together on a rock and sing a song to the moon” 22 likes