Start by marking “Slide (Roads, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slide (Roads, #1)

Slide (Roads #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  2,459 Ratings  ·  446 Reviews
Roads: Book One

Don’t look back. Don’t you ever look back…

Shy tattoo artist Ash has a troubled past. Years of neglect, drug abuse, and life on the streets have taken their toll, and sometimes it seems the deep, unspoken bond with his lover is the only balm for wounds he doesn’t quite understand.

Chicago paramedic Pete is warmth, love, and strength—things Ash never knew he
Published October 13th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Slide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slide

Monique
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 STARS**

When I was organising my reading list for October, I spotted this book by Garrett Leigh, she is a new author and I loved the cover and the synopsis drew me in straight away, everything about it screamed READ THIS BOOK! And Oh. Boy. Am I glad I did! This is a fabulous book, an excellent read and what a pleasure it is to find a new author… I couldn’t put it down until it was finished, I loved every moment of my journey with Ash and Pete.

Ash had been living on the streets from the age
Jan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****4.5 Stars****

Well, I was not expecting that.
I haven’t read many stories from this author but the few I’ve read were as real as life gets.
Her characters are unique. They have flaws. They have weaknesses. She shows their fragility and I love that. They are perfect in their imperfection.
This one was some heavy shit though.

Mental illness is a tough subject and if it’s well written, there is no way you cannot feel its heaviness. There is no way we cannot feel emotionally affected and touched b
Lisa Henry

The writing is quite lovely, and the characters are well-drawn. The chemistry between Ash and Pete was great.

Side note: I loved Pete's job. He's a paramedic. I loved how he was sleep deprived, short tempered after night shifts, and sometimes went to such unbelievably shitty jobs that they stuck in his head for days or weeks. Because sometimes you're coasting along in life, and then the sheer realisation of how fucked up people can be to one another hits you right there in the guts...

I
Simone
***4.5 Stars***

This is probably my most eloquent review ever...

Me = wrecked and drained, but happy! I ❤ it!
Ann
Too. Much. Feeling.

Will string together sentences when I am able to be coherent again . . . .

Can't promise coherent, but here I go . . .

It would really be easiest to just say “See Isaac’s review”. This book wore me out in the best way. I couldn’t put it down and when I did I didn’t want to pick it back up. I mean, I did, but when you know the heartbreak is coming and it’s coming at you hard, you really need to be prepped.

I think what got to me most about this one was that while it did have ext
Sheziss
***This is not a series, this is a single novel divided in two volumes.***

Last night I dreamt of Ash and Pietro...

"For the first time in my life, home was where my heart was, and I'd left my heart in Chicago."

Oh, baby, baby, it's a wild world... It's hard to get by just upon a smile...

I hate reviewing books I love. I hate it, because I don't find the words. Not even in my own language. I hate using the terms "perfect", "awesome" or "wowable". I'm glad I can't say this book is perfect because
Christelle
There are some books that you just can’t put down and I got totally immersed in this one.
It felt like I was swimming and then suddenly, a big wave came and I just couldn’t, didn’t want to fight it…I just let it carry me without thinking anymore.

It resonated, it was sometimes a bit overwhelming and depressing, but also made me hopeful that it can be worth keeping going on even if reasons to do so seem non-existent.

Tons of feels for me in this first part of Pete and Ash’s story : already on book
A Girl Has No Name
5 stars! <3

Intense, heartbreaking and full of hope!

I finished this book about a week ago and I was trying to formulate a review ever since. However, I'm unable to transform into word what this book made me feel. It's a rollercoster ride full of mixed emotions and I felt incredibly connected to the main characters.

A beautiful piece of work, Garrett Leigh!

I can only recommend this story to all m/m romance readers that aren't afraid to take an angsty ride. It's so worth it and I can't wait to
Macky
3.5 stars.
Crap! I wanted this to be a glowing 5 star review soooo much because lots of my friends have loved this book and been moved to the point of speechlessness by it. The thing is I can actually see why it has blown away so many people but I can also see why there are odd ones that haven't been quite as enamoured and unfortunately I'm in that camp.

Its hard to do a review without giving out major spoilers why this didn't fully work for me so be warned if you do want to read the book with
Sara
Oh boy. So…the other night I was attempting to read a book but I was really antsy. I put that book away and starting scrolling through my Nook for something else. I can’t tell you when or why I bought Slide but I decided to open it up and take a peek. That peek turned into me reading the prologue and being blown away. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? I literally said that out loud. Got out of bed and paced the landing outside my bedroom door so I didn’t wake my husband. It hit me that hard and had me buz ...more
Meep
Nov 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dnf at 42% with a minor skim through.
This book is AWFUL I really don't get how it has so many positive reviews or why so few people comment on the weirdness within. This is the second and will be the last book by this author I try.

In the last book I tried, it was casually put across that Vegans are nutcases, 'if even human'. In this book it's plastic surgeons that 'aren't human in my eyes' I'm pretty sure anyone who has faced reconstructive surgery will have a different opinion on that.

Beyond th
Ariana
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, to-read-again
Oh. My.
Floored.
This is a "someone hand me an oxygen mask" book.

I totally fell for Pete and Ash
Both so brilliantly real and flawed.

I loved Mick and Ellie.
Friends as you can only wish for.

I revelled in the angst.
(who needs finger nails anyway?)

I was glued to it from page 1.
Garrett Leigh is one hell of a story teller.

I was left emotionally totally exhausted which, admittedly, is book heaven for me.
And yet, it is obvious that Ash has a long long way to go. As does Pete, in fact.

Saying that, ...
Jenn
I have no idea how to rate or review this, but for now I'll go with 3.5 stars.

Did I love parts? Yes.
Did I hate parts? Yes.
Did I find it confusing? Yes.
Did it have a plot that I found interesting? Yes.

Likes:

*The prologue hooked me right from the start. There was something soft, familiar and relaxing about those opening moments that I fell in love with the characters & the story I was about to read.

*Even though there were flashbacks, I felt they made sense, were straight-forward and I liked th
Ilhem
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Drawings scattered all around a flat as little pieces of Pete’s beloved, a rush of love, warmth, a welcoming body, comfort, heat, playful sex until we sense that something is amiss and that ugliness is lurking behind; great chemistry made of focus on the other, tenderness and patience that make it better and good again.

“Slide’s opening scene is quite simply great, introducing in a few sentences an established couple, a hint at a damaging past on the streets, a hurt/comfort dynamic and an unders
Maya

For me Slide lacked depth and substance. It’s written in dual PoV and both the voices of Ash and Pete were unconvincing.

I don’t think I have ever read a book where two main characters in their early 20s are so exhausted and sleep deprived all the time. There’s so much sleeping and dozing on page that I’m not sure if I was more bored or annoyed.

The first 70% of the book rotate around a big bed - it’s basically two men going to sleep, waking up and going to work at different times of day and nigh
Tina
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads, romance

Ash, a skilled tattoo artist, has a troubled past. After living on the streets for years, neglect and abuse have taken their toll. Ash is so badly damaged he doesn’t even know how to love. He is so lost that every day is a struggle. Sometimes it seems the deep bond with his lover Pete is the only balm for his tortured soul.

Pete is a paramedic and works horror shifts what is both physically and mentally exhausting. It doesn’t take him long to realize how broken Ash is. When they manage to be home
Andersón.
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The feelings....

At the beginning I feel things were happening so fast, the chapters are short but have weeks in it, I have to read a couple before I get used but them just damn.

Pete it's a paramedic, his life with work is pretty busy so he didn't have a lot of friends and his only family is his mother.

Ash is a tattoo artist, he had a really trouble past and he is so shy is so cute. His best friend and only person who cared about him and his life help him to get through son hard stuff and later s
Rosa, really
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lover's of the deeply depressed or other fun times

This has been sitting on my currently-reading shelf for a month because I've been waiting to write a long, inspired review.

Fuck that shit.

I really like this book.

For some reason, for many reasons, I like books about depressed people. That sounds like I enjoy torturing people in my free time - and don't get me wrong, I do enjoy that, especially if I'm related to them - but it's not that. I just love reading about people, not necessarily overcoming, but working on making their lives just a littl
Jax
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
This was a frustrating read. There's lots of filler here, a lot of scenes that seemed pointless, that didn't advance the plot but were included just to show the passage of time and to prolong the eventual reveal of Ash's past trauma. I never like books where a momentary lack of communication between the MCs leads to a "big misunderstanding" and that's what this entire book is. Ash is weird and moody and uncommunicative and Pete doesn't want to push him so he lets it go, right up to the moment wh ...more
Claude
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book? Hard. I was crying in the end. So much. Ash's life is one of the hardest I've ever saw. And that changed him. A lot. It's hard to say but it take me time to really warmed up to him. I did not knew about his story at this time. He can appeared so cold, so distant. On the other side Pietro, the paramedic with a big heart who love Ash sooo much that was hard to see at certain times. The end of this book is terrific. Ash's life is terrific. And the way that changed him is terrific too. I ...more
S.E. Jakes
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JHC I loved this book. Fucking loved it. Angst, angst, angst. I loved Ash & Pete. I loved how the author dealt with the passage of time - I swore I could 'see' things progressing between them.

Trying not to give spoilers - I think what I loved most were that the revelations weren't convenient or a plot device - it was like, it didn't matter what the reasons were for Ash's behavior because what mattered was, they still needed to be dealt with. And that's the key to the whole book - doesn't ma
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook

Damaged hottie tattoo artist with many issues, Ash is a bit of a mystery throughout most of this story. We know he has a lot of demons chasing him from his past. He was living on the streets for years when he was lucky enough to be friended by well-do-do, Ellie, who made it a point to see that Ash turned things around. She gets him moved to Chicago where she finds him an apartment rooming with Pete.

Pete is a paramedic who just seems to have an endless supply of patience and understandi
sraxe
Oh yay, another book written by a female author with internalized sexism and misogyny in it!

Pete and Ash, the two protagonists, are such POS who judge women, even while having sex with them. Here are some choice quotes:

• I rolled my eyes. It was ironic, really. Life was hard, really hard sometimes, but hooking up with chicks was easy… safe, almost. Only problem was, they were predictable: predictable and boring. I knew the woman’s next move almost before she’d decided to make it.

• Pete laughed,
Bev

This one seems to average out at around 4 stars judging on previous reviews, and I agree with that. 4.25 from me with a big , a very promising start to a new series.

There were lots of things I liked in this story....the fact that the author's British for one, woohoo!! I loved Ash as a character, and yes, Mrs Weepy had the tissues out on several occasions for him and what he'd gone through AND what he'd yet to discover about his past. I could have kissed Pete sometimes and then throttled him at
Elsa Bravante
Comentaré este con su segunda parte, Rare, realmente para mi son el mismo libro en dos volúmenes.
Lily
image8692884ef4e1aad2.gif

You guys, if you're going to read this book (and you totally should), make sure you're mentally prepared, because this is heavy AF.
I feel totally drained right now, but I do want to write my thoughts while it's all fresh in my mind.

The story is about Pete and Ash, roommates who fell in love with each other and became a couple. It sounds pretty great, finding your soulmate like that, but these two have some major obstacles to face.

Ash is messed up. There's no other way to say it, he really is. He
Lost in a Book
4.25 Stars

Ok, I knew this book was going to hurt. With the dramatic cover, the blurb, and the fact that it’s Garrett Leigh, I knew I wasn’t in for a big ball of fluff. But, when we got this from Ash at 4%…

“Waking up was a crappy way to start the day.”

feels.gif

I had to start preparing for face leaking and some strong feels coming my way. Slide is riddled with trigger warnings as Ash deals with the fall out of past drug use, self-harm, PTSD, anxiety, and prior abuse. He's trying to get his life together
Bitchie™
This was beautiful and painful. The story switched POVs midway through, which kind of bugged me, because I REALLY wanted to know what was going on in Ash's head when he started drifting, but I know the author did it that way on purpose, so the reader found out what was going on when Pete did.

Like some other readers, I did think that there were a bit too many coincidences here. Huge plot spoilers, click ahead only if you've read the story or don't mind being spoiled. (view spoiler)
Smith Barney
Abandoned at page 200. If you enjoy self-absorbed emo-type characters that focus the majority of a book on their self-loathsome feelings and miscommunicated POS emotions..then you'll enjoy this book. I do not.

Unfortunately, crap-infested, limited 1st person POV intensified this overall consistent emo-theme throughout.

It's a self-involved monologue of self-flagellating proportions narrated by Ash, who apparently thrives on miscommunication..and I was just really advocating for him to get medica
  • Billy's Bones
  • Out of the Blackness (Avery, #1)
  • Beneath the Stain
  • Complementary Colors
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Silent
  • The Tin Box
  • Chase the Storm
  • The Island
  • Training Season (Training Season, #1)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Aftermath (Aftermath, #1)
  • Six Degrees of Separation (By Degrees, #2)
  • Glitterland (Glitterland, #1)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Conscious Decisions of the Heart (More Heat Than the Sun, #2)
  • Sinner's Gin (Sinners, #1)
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo
More about Garrett Leigh

Roads (3 books)
  • Rare (Roads, #2)
  • Circle (Roads, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“His eyes blazed at me, but it was the best kind of heat. He smiled, and for the first time in my life I believed that, for him, I could be more than I’d ever dreamed.” 22 likes
“I wanted to wrap my bones around him and never let go.” 17 likes