Start by marking “Embassy (Recovery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Embassy (Recovery, #1)

Embassy

(Recovery #1)

Arman Lance was supposed to travel the galaxy with his father, not watch him die. He was supposed to experience the adventures from his father's stories, not isolate himself from the world. He was supposed to join the Embassy Program, fly across the galaxy, and find Ladia Purnell, the girl he fell in love with years before. Clinging to his fading hopes and dreams, Arman jo ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 356 pages
Published December 12th 2019 by Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Embassy, please sign up.
Evy Yes, because of the post (that I saw on Pinterest) I am here.

Start your review of Embassy (Recovery, #1)
Brittney
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay so I finally have time to kind of jot down my thoughts about this book.

First off, the world building was simply amazing. This book is set in the future and Martin did a great job of creating a world that is very futuristic while still realistic. His descriptions of the planets, their governments, the gadgets that they use, and even the history of how the Embassy came to be was very intricate and well thought out. This was probably my favorite aspect of this book.

The cast of characters were
Becky
This is honestly one of the ultimate best books of this particular genre that you will find; it's interesting, exciting, intense and diverse with absolutely phenomenal world building, amazing character growth and stunning writing! This is one of my all time favourite books for many reasons - one alone being that the world that this is written within is absolutely brilliant; it's well thought out, interesting, unique and doesn't follow the lines of a "typical" story of this genre!

This is a book
Adrianna
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, it seems like a story that is all about the future: flying Molters, exploring other planets, and finding that some stars and planets are no more. But it is so much more than that.
Once you really get into "Embassy" by S. Alex Martin – which is incredibly easy to do – you find that it’s more than a story of the future. Arman Lance lives his life with one goal: reuniting with a girl from another planet. He had fallen in love with her during one summer, and only thought about finding her a
Nate
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Embassy is an entertaining and well written novel. It's based in the 44th century and is split into three parts - the first and last on two different planets (Undil and Belvun respectively), and the middle is about the travel between them. The main character, Arman Lance, is from Undil, his father is an Ambassador who travels between planets. Arman met Ladia, a girl his age from the planet Belvun), several years before the start of the story when she visits Undil with her father, who is also an ...more
E.B. Dawson
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors
There were so many things about this book that I loved. The world was incredibly detailed, full of relevant technologies, history, and culture. The main characters were very lifelike. They had real flaws but were endearing in their own ways. I would have to say my favorite characters were Arman and Captain Blitner. Arman was moody and single-minded but I liked him all the same. Captain Blitner was so real and life-like that he stood out against the other characters.

The story is not fast paced o
Saffyre Falkenberg
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
Normally, I have a hard time reading sci-fi books because plot and world-building are elevated at the expense of character development. This was not so in Embassy. The characters were interesting and well-developed. Arman, the narrator, has a rich inner world and he experiences quite a lot of personal growth throughout the novel, which is always something I like.

Also, this book is perfect for anyone who likes slow-burn romances. Seriously, each tantalizing moment in this relationship’s developme
Rebecca
Overall Rating: 7.3/10 (3.6/5 stars)
Plot: 5.5/10
Characters: 7.5/10
Writing: 9/10
Originality: 7.5/10

I was pretty wary to read Embassy. I’m not a huge fan of science fiction, and it is one of the hardest genres to make meaningful. Often it has too much action and too little depth. With Embassy, the main problem is the opposite. The weakest point of this novel lies within the kind of boring and too-stable plot. I’m also absolutely horrible at understanding different worlds, especially science ficti
Barb Taub
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know what sci-fi is—robots, aliens, epic laser shootouts, spaceships, and endless mind-numbingly boring explanations of “science” that hasn’t happened yet (hence the “fiction” part). And I know YA sci-fi too— dystopian, apocalypse, dystopian apocalypse… So when I started reading S. Alex Martin’s sci-fi novel, Embassy, my expectations were not high. There was the fact that the young author penned his debut novel while still in high school, that his last name isn’t Heinlein, Clarke, or Asimov, a ...more
Melissa J. Troutman
Embassy is not a science fiction adventure novel. Rather, it is a science fiction journey novel, perhaps the first of its kind I have ever read. I started it expecting aliens, laser gunfights, and spaceship battles. You know, like Stars Wars, or the new Star Trek, or the rest of science fiction that’s out there.

It took me until 80% through the book to realize there would be no aliens, no gunfights, no battles. Instead, Embassy follows the quieter, internal journey of a young man named Arman Lan
Alexis
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I personally do not find sci-fi books interesting, but Embassy actually caught my attention. I would read it one day and pick it up a few days later and still be interested in it.

Embassy is a unique, life lesson novel that will have readers thinking about how they live their own lives each and every day.

Theme:
Self-Discovery, Life, and Forgiveness

Plot:
It’s the 44th century and Arman Lance is living on a planet called Undil. His father is an ambassador traveling to other planets. When anot
Blackbirdsandbibliophilia
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so when I first talked about my feelings for this book I rambled way too much, so I'm going to attempt to clean it up a bit. Embassy was just--fantastic. I plowed through it in a few hours. The plot was so intensely original and *real*. The characters were all people who reminded you of people you've met because they were so well-crafted and reacted in ways that people do and had their own personalities and each of them were just--they were great. The space travel and the descriptions of t ...more
Bree Dawn
May 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
I literally found this book through his meme/rant on Pinterest😂
Heather Manning
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Idea:
Especially compared to the genre of books I typically read, I thought Embassy had a very original idea. It is about Arman Lance, a guy who has built a mental barrier around himself ever since he fell in love with a girl a few summers ago. He joins the galaxy's Embassy program to get to the girl who lives many planets away. This book is about his mental journey to live in the moment rather than letting an obsession take over his life and make him miserable. There are sci-fi elements that
Eva
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
This book is awesome. I don't normally enjoy sci-fi, but this book was different, mainly because (I think), it was wayyyyy more about the characters than any other sci-fi book I've ever read. I prefer character-driven to plot-driven any day, so that was an obvious plus for me liking Embassy. And what characters they were - Arman, the main character, had a voice uniquely his own (which is good, because the entire thing is told from his point of view) and I was really rooting for him the whole tim ...more
Kali
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
For the record, I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, but after reading the synopsis of Embassy, I decided to give this one a shot.

The story is about a young adult, Arman, whose father dies before the start of the novel. Arman wants to join the Embassy, a Star Trek-like space program so that he can meet up with a girl that he supposedly fell in love with four years earlier. Arman, however, acts like a jerk for about 1/4 of the story, until one of the other main characters, Glacia, calls him out on it, an
Alexa
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 4 1/2 stars.
The characters in this story were simply beautiful, and I was interested in Arman's development from the start, even though he wasn't a strictly likable character at that point. And I wasn't disappointed; his character development is the coolest part of the story.
Not to say that there's anything wrong with the rest of it. One of my other favorite things about Embassy is that it's like a contemporary problem in a sci-fi world. By that I mean there's no big battle, no bl
Leah
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I don't read much sci-fi. In fact, I'm not a sci-fi fan at all. Therefore, I wasn't expecting to be drawn in by this book. I was going to beta read just to help a fellow writer friend out, you know?
But it turned into something so much more.
I found myself thoroughly enjoying this book, and eager to find out what happened next. Embassy took me on an incredible ride, one full of adventure-filled settings, colorful characters and charismatic events.
So yeah. If I can say this about a book
Pearl
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book it was like reading a cross between startrek and a romance story only it was set in a universe all its own.... the technology was fantastic and will make any tech geek drool, plus the romance was sweet and well developed.... i'd definitely recommend this to any sci-fy or dystopian fan as well as a few hopeless romantics i know ...more
Kati
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This book definitely has potential, but it didn't really feel like anything happened. ...more
Odin
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Review originally written for the Duende literary magazine.
---

In his debut young-adult novel Embassy, S. Alex Martin creates a detailed and impressive sci-fi landscape, through which a tale of mental wellbeing and personal growth is told with clarity and strength, set against the sprawling science fiction landscape of advanced technology and global catastrophe.

The novel follows Arman Lance, a young man who suffers from guilt over his father’s death, believing he was the cause. He doggedly force
Dominic Gilmour
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sci-fi as it should be.
Embassy is a book filled with imagination, yet it's not unrealistic or implausible. There is science behind every concept, every thought, every aspect of this novel. You can see the research under every line and this makes the story world vivid, vibrant, and almost tangible.
The characters are beautifully written and we certainly take a journey with Arman - the protagonist - not just from one planet to the next (which is seriously cool in itself) but also an emotional one.
Chrissie Gerber
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book made me tear up when Arman, the main male protagonist (we get so few of them), had to say goodbye to his family, before leaving for the Embassy and his new adventurous life.

This was a fast-paced and action-packed, gripping your attention type of read.  Descriptions were woven into the story, keeping the pace and giving you insight into the world.  While I did find some grammatical errors, this did not distract (much) from the story.

Life on the spaceship was filled with information and
Jess Rogers
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Embassy is a unique piece of science fiction unlike anything I’ve read before. The world building is simply outstanding. The way Martin brings up the technology and culture is done with a casual hand that does not draw you out of the moment to parse through the information. What makes it truly unique though is the subject matter. Rather than your standard romp through space, the focus is on Arman’s navigation of grief, depression, and growing out of the misery he’s sunk himself into. It’s refres ...more
Sophie V.
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5

This was basically one of those finding-yourself contemporaries dumped into a sci-fi setting.
I picked this book up hoping it would be a tale of a young man having space adventures but instead ended up with a main character, Arman, whose only goal in life was finding back his first love.

The world building was really good, and it played into one on the major plot points of the book. The writing flowed really well.

The biggest problem I had with the book was basically the entire plot. It was r
Rebeckahsypik
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Elisabeth
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I would have loved to love this because of the sci-fi, found families trope and general space setting. However, for me personally this book leaves something to be desired in terms of writing style and plot.
Rubin Johnson
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Ending a journey of fifteen light-years

Embassy by S. Alex Martin is an optimistic journey across the galaxy for the young male protagonist, Arman Lance. Having joined the galactic diplomatic organization, he's on a trip to a world where his first love lives. They met four years ago when he was sixteen and he wants to pick up where they left off. Ha! Read this enjoyable story to find out what happens.

Science fiction is one of my favorite genres so I was glad to receive a free copy in exchange for
Kierstan
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sci-fi is my favorite genre, so when the opportunity arose to read this book, I jumped on it. I'm so glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is character driven and full of unique ideas. And in a genre filled with heroines, it was refreshing to have a sci-fi novel with a young male protaganist.

In it's own way, Embassy is more of a coming age story. About a young man, Arman Lance, and his internal struggle to stay present an
Azelyn Klein
“I shiver again, suddenly terrified. My whole life I’ve been contained to one city on one planet, but Ladia has flown through the stars. Does she still crave to discover worlds beyond her own? Does she have this sense of her size in the world? For the first time, I realize what I truly am: a piece of it.”

Sci-fi is one of my new favorite genres. It’s got such a variety of sub-genres, that sometimes, it’s hard to categorize. Like Embassy—I’m not quite sure where to place it.

I had a hard time follo
Lilybeth
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent novel, highly recommend for anyone that is lost or has lost themselves. Also, if you are a college student it is a must read, Armand's journey shows us how it is important to live life to the fullest and not get caught up on one little thing. It also, shows us how second chances happen when you let yourself have them and make the effort to be a better person. ...more

• Between Shades of Gray
  • They Both Die at the End

Recovery (3 books)
  • Resonance (Recovery, #2)
  • Perihelid (Recovery, #3)