Jump to ratings and reviews

Angel Island #2

After the Storm

After the Storm is a standalone companion novel to Waiting for the Storm

For most people, starting senior year at a new high school would be a nightmare, but for Ella O’Dell it’s the new beginning she desperately needs. Two months after her mother’s death, Ella is ready to leave behind the miserable, rebellious person she became when she found out her mom was dying.

When Ella meets River Maracle and Sadie Fitzgerald, she begins to learn it’s okay to be herself, even if that means being different. River and Sadie aren’t ashamed of their misfit status—River didn’t grow up on the island like most other people did, plus his mother is the school counselor; Sadie stands out with her funky homemade clothes, and is a master at ignoring the whispered rumors that have plagued her since the beginning of high school.

Ella finds a kindred spirit in Sadie, and something more in River. After almost a year of pretending to be someone she’s not, she finally embraces life and allows herself to have fun without constant guilt. But despite her budding happiness, something is off with her new life. She doesn’t want to dwell on the past, but Angel Island is a small place, and she soon realizes her demons are harder to outrun than she thought.

242 pages, ebook

First published April 5, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Marie Landry

19 books847 followers
Stay up to date with new releases, sales, promos, and other news by signing up for Marie's newsletter and be sure to follow her on BookBub so you never miss a new release!

Marie Landry’s life revolves around books; when she’s not writing them, she’s reading them, taking pictures of them for bookstagram, or blogging about them. An avid reader from a young age, she loves getting lost in characters’ worlds, whether they’re of her own making or someone else’s. She particularly loves stories with as much of an emphasis on self-discovery and friendship as on romance...but don’t leave out the romance!

She lives in a cozy apartment in Ontario, Canada with the best roommate ever, and can be found working in a room surrounded by Funko Pops and--you guessed it--books. When not doing bookish things, you can often find her cooking, exploring areas both familiar and new, watching TV, or taking photos. Her fangirl heart perks up at the mention of Star Wars, Sherlock, and Doctor Who, and you’ll often find nerdy references woven into her books.

Marie loves to chat, especially with fellow book lovers. Here’s where you can find her:
Blog: Ramblings of a Daydreamer
Instagram: SweetMarie_83 (bookish pics) or Rambling_Daydreamer (non-bookish pics)
Twitter: @SweetMarie83
Facebook: Marie Landry, Author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (7%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews
Profile Image for Molli Moran.
Author 7 books223 followers
May 13, 2014
AFTER THE STORM is a wonderful continuation of the O'Dell sisters's journey on Angel Island. I beta read this for Marie, and I think readers are going to enjoy Ella's story. There are great themes here about character growth, family, friendship, and love.

Plus one of Marie's signature swoon-worthy boys. And? An awesome cast of side characters (mostly SADIE, oh how I loved Sadie.) AFTER THE STORM is a really lovely story about finding yourself and learning to love not just yourself, but others.
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,250 reviews187 followers
April 4, 2014
The minute I found out about After the Storm it was immediately added to my to-read list, I enjoyed Waiting for the Storm, and getting the chance to see inside Ella's head, try to understand what she did what she did, was an opportunity that I could not miss. Before I began reading After the Storm I had a few ideas in my head, one of them was that I did not want to like Ella. Her previous actions in waiting for the storm left a lot to be desired, and I know that she was grieving and this is how her grief was portrayed, but she took it far too far and so far above the threshold for what was tolerable and understandable. Within the first few pages of After the Storm everything I thought of Ella was thrown out of the window, and I actually saw this broken person, who had been wandering lost and alone and not knowing exactly hat to do with her life.

Moving to Angel Island means Ella has to start a new school, Ezra and her sister very supportive but Ella is still nervous about this new endeavour. Starting a new school is scary to anyone, but Ella soon realises that her antics over the summer have not escaped the school, and a lot of students already 'know' Ella through rumours. While her new life in school isn't filled with lots of adoring friends, she does form a great friendship with Sadie and River.
River is the son of Ella's counsellor, Mrs Maracle, and I really like his laid back attitude and honest approach towards Ella, openly admitting that her knows about her past but that it doesn't bother him at all.
Sadie was someone who I instantly liked, not only is her dress sense unique, she is an individual, choosing not to follow the crowd and others expectations, but she has a spunky attitude that goes with it perfectly. She is obviously the school outcast but doesn't let it show too much how much it affects her, it's not until later on into the book that we get to see her real feelings and find out why there is so much animosity between Sadie and the school Queen Bee, but also the secret the tries so hard to hide. I love how this duo welcome Ella into their Misfit group and treat her as an equal and as one of them.

At one point in After the Storm, Ella is talking to River about her behaviour after her mothers diagnosis, and he says something that is one of the most sweetest things I have read, and it also touched a nerve with me and is something I have even found myself doing.

It teaches you not to take the people you have left for granted. It knocks your priorities into line, and makes the stupid, petty things seem unimportant. It can mess you up so many ways, bit it makes you stronger too. It makes you want to seize every opportunity and hold onto the things that matter.
[Location 1855 of 4486 kindle copy]

After the Storm was an emotional read, but with Marie's books you are automatically prepared for lots of tears and have a nice supply of tissues waiting. The candle in jar moment broke my heart, it was such a perfect way for Charlotte and Ella to remember their Mum, I had to stop reading and wait for my tears to stop falling before I could continue. I picked up this book and read through it in one sitting and even once I had finished reading I was hoping for more. After the Storm is another great book from Marie, and a great companion book to Waiting For the Storm, it also comes with one fantastic cover that I fell in love with the minute I saw it.
Profile Image for Ashley - Book Labyrinth.
1,251 reviews307 followers
April 16, 2014
After the Storm is the story of Ella, a character we first got to know in Waiting for the Storm. The good thing is that you can read this book as a standalone, as it gives you all the background information you need. However, I highly encourage you to read Waiting for the Storm. It’s such a sweet and sad and lovely book, and by reading it first you’ll get even more insight to Ella, and to the side characters, especially Ella’s sister Charlotte and Charlotte’s boyfriend, Ezra.

Ella is most definitely a complicated character. In the past she's been spiteful and harsh to her sister, acting out with boys and alcohol. Then one night that goes too far shakes Ella awake and brings her back from the brink, changing her and her relationship with her family. In the things we hear about Ella’s past we see how she was simply a young girl, lost, confused, and hurting. She was coping in the best way she knew how, which was to put on an act. The Ella we get to know in After the Storm is trying to reconcile the Ella of the past, the Gabriella she was pretending to be, and the Ella she is now.

This is definitely an internal journey sort of book, where Ella has to learn to love herself, to forgive herself, and to see that she's worth caring about. It’s a journey of self acceptance, and I loved the roles that both friends and trained adults had in this. It really showed how sometimes we need help and support, even with things that we ultimately need to decide and work out for ourselves.

Marie Landry knows how to write a fabulous romance, and After the Storm is no exception. River was such a sweet love interest for Ella. I loved how he encouraged her and treated her well. Their relationship was based on strong friendship, and that made it seem all the more real and strong. I also enjoyed the friendship that both Ella and River shared with Sadie. She was an interesting side character, one with a very well developed back story. I was saddened by her situation, and intrigued to know more about her. I’m glad that we’ll get to read about her story in the next Angel Island book.

The reason why I love the Angel Island books so much is that Marie has a great talent for emotional stories which tug at your heart strings. She really makes you feel like you know the characters. It’s so easy to think of Angel Island as a real place to visit where you could run across Charlotte and Ezra or Ella and River while on your travels.

I highly recommend Waiting for the Storm and After the Storm. If you’re at all a fan of contemporary romance and stories that combine romance, friendship, and family, I can almost guarantee that you’ll enjoy these books.
Profile Image for Liz .
53 reviews
September 17, 2014
I received a free copy of this book for my honest review.

This second book was just as fabulous as the first one. IN LOVE.

So, After the Storm is a continuation of the life of the O'Dell sisters. In Waiting for the Storm, we went on a journey with the eldest sister, Charlotte, but we also got a glimpse at her younger sister, Gabriella (Ella)'s life.

*Just a little side note, you can read this as a stand alone, but I HIGHLY RECCOMEND reading the first book in this series. You will appreciate the characters and the story SO much more.

So, as you may know if you've read the previous book, or if you haven't you will literally find out in the very beginning, Ella was on the hot mess express. She basically turned into this angry, resentment filled creature before and after her mom's death and it wasn't pretty. But, she finally got her act together and is in the process of finding out who she really wants to be in this world. She gets a chance to be whoever she wants to be and has a fresh start at a new school for her senior year.

And so we meet River and Sadie.

They're the "misfits" of the school, which is kind of ironic because they fit so perfectly into Ella's life. Yes, I went for cheesy right there. They both are haunted by their demons and have emotional and harrowing backstories. I don't want to get to deep into it because I want you to read for yourself.

Sadie is probably my favorite character in this book. She's unapologetically herself, and purposely stands out from everyone around her. It's so refreshing. She's very guarded, but for good reasons.

River is this honest and compassionate guy who has been best friends with Sadie since the beginning. Their friendship is my favorite. His and Ella's relationship is absolutely perfect, but I don't want to give anything away!

*I'm seriously obsessed with the male leads in these books. They're such good guys and don't play the games that you're used to reading about. 5 GOLD STARS.

These books were written so beautifully and it's an effortless read. The writing style is understated, yet very powerful and emotional. It's so relatable and thought provoking and it makes you really think about what's important in life. You really get a bit of everything; the family life, the friends, the boyfriend. It's a story about love, forgiveness, hope, and soul searching. Ya know, all the good stuff.

It's really a beautiful read and I think just about anyone can get something amazing out of it.
Profile Image for Jessica.
Author 2 books167 followers
August 30, 2015
See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

My Thoughts:

Welcome to awesome. I mean, hey! You guys! It's time to talk about After the Storm. This is the... *counts* ...5th book (full-length and novella) that I've read by Marie. And like a good bottle of wine, her writing continues to get better as times goes on. ATS is the second book in the Angel Island series, and follows Waiting for the Storm. WFTS is Charlotte's story, but in ATS we get to see things from Ella's POV.

Going in, I already knew I was going to need a tissue (or two or three). Ella has been through a lot, and her eyes have seen a lot. She's learning how to be a better person again after spending so much time being terrible to everyone she came in contact with. It's still a struggle to refrain from turning into that person she was, but she's fighting it. Seeing Ella go through this, thinking back on the past and wishing for something different, I could feel her pain and frustration.

We meet some new people in ATS: some great, some not-so-great. I'm going to focus on the great. Ella's new best friends, Sadie and River, are wonderful. I loved seeing Ella become friends with Sadie--it was genuine and a true friendship, unlike Ella's previous friends over the years. And Ella and River, that was truly amazing. My favorite part of this budding romance was that it was realistic and honest, not just thrown together because they were in the same vicinity or met through friends. They had a true connection, a friendship that developed into something much deeper.

After the Storm takes you on a journey through the spectrum of emotion. You feel the loss, the regret, the hope, the pain, the love. And you can't help but connect to Ella. Marie Landry is a superb writer who knows how to create fictional characters that feel like real people. I don't think it will be possible, ever, to not love a story written by her. This one is another must read.

My Rating: Exceptional
Profile Image for Kayla Michelle.
24 reviews10 followers
October 4, 2014
I literally read this book in a day. I read Waiting for the Storm prior to reading After the storm, and if I thought I loved the first book, I was in for a surprise with After the Storm! The books are written as stand alone novels, but I highly encourage reading them in order. In the first book, I did not like Ella's character that much due to how she treated Charlotte, in the beginning of the book. Towards the very end of book 1, you get a glimpse of the real Ella.

After the Storm starts a couple of weeks after the first book ends, and is told in Ella's POV. While reading, you begin to learn more about the real Ella and for several months she suffered because she didn't know how to deal with her mom's diagnosis. In the past, Ella turned to many bad habits just to help her forget what real life was, and what was going on it. Everything from drug abuse, sleeping around, excessive drinking, and just being hateful towards people (mainly family) just to feel numb.

Ella meets Sadie on her very first day of school, noticing that she is not like the others- colorful, bubbly, and confident. Sadie takes Ella under her wing and they become the best of friends, confiding in one another, and even having sleep overs.

Ella is broken. Sadie is broken. Everyone in the story has either been broken in the past, or broken recently, but all work together to grow and develop. I loved Ella, Sadie, River and of course Charlotte and Ezra, but I also really loved Fawn Maracle. She is Ella's counselor at school, and her boyfriends mom. She is very stern, but understanding, firm, yet compassionate. I feel she is a great motherly role model for Ella, and even Sadie too!

Thank you Marie Landry for another great book! The writing was perfect, and everything flowed together. I cannot wait to read the rest of Sadie's story!!

Received this book complimentary in exchange for an honest review. This book honestly deserves FIVE STARS.
Profile Image for Briana Pacheco.
Author 8 books164 followers
September 18, 2014
Complimentary copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

This book can be read as a standalone but I highly recommend reading, Waiting for the Storm, first because the character development is just phenomenal in this book.

What can I possibly say about After the Storm? I loved it. I really did. I loved the first book in the series, Waiting for the Storm (Charlotte's story), but this was definitely my favorite. Ella is a tortured soul and reading about her evolving into someone new, someone more...her, I knew I was in for a good ride. The author has a way of putting words together that come to life and mean so much more and I enjoyed every second.

Ella was going through some serious tough times the year her mother got sick and passed away. She become someone else and she lashed out at her family, becoming a rebel. You name it, she's done it. It all changed when she starts her senior year of high school and meets two of the misfits; Sadie and River. <-- I love how they become the Misfit Trio. I couldn't stop smiling when they were together because they are just perfect. :D

The emotions and topics talked about throughout the book gave this book so much depth that I didn't want it to end. I don't know what else to say. Those male characters...*swoon* They're so damn perfect that I wish I could pluck a guy out of a crowd and he'd be like Ezra or River. <3

Highly recommended! Seriously, pick it up. And pick up book 1 too. You won't regret it.
Profile Image for Linda Rimer-Como.
1,258 reviews4 followers
April 3, 2014
A beautifully written story that is full of emotion and self discovery. The love of family, good friends and her own self determination help Ella overcome a loss and self destructive behavior to become a responsible person once again. There is such detail in the storyline and to character development, you are captivated as you read. I found it hard to put down as this book deals with many issues; loss, bullying, true friendship, acceptance and attraction. Look forward to more from Angel Island.

Gifted copy for a review.
Profile Image for Susan.
298 reviews59 followers
March 14, 2014
Stunningly beautiful and hauntingly emotional, After The Storm, will leave reader's aching for more. Inspiring and full of hope, love, healing, and friendship; this is a novel that will move you in ways unimaginable.

Full review coming soon.
Profile Image for Rachelia (Bookish Comforts).
144 reviews73 followers
April 15, 2014
After the Storm picks up shortly where Waiting for the Storm left off, returning us to Angel Island, the O'Dell family and Ezra. When we last saw Ella, she was just at the beginning of her transformation, as she shed her mean girl persona and began the journey to dealing with the grief she felt from her mother's recent death and the guilt for not being by her side during her last months. In After the Storm, she is starting high school on the island, and along the way, she forms a misfit friendship trio with the eccentric but fashionable Sadie, and her best friend, and River, a Mohawk boy from Tyendinaga. While it continues the story from the first book, it can also be read as a standalone novel!

I really enjoyed seeing the real Ella in After the Storm! She's not a mean spirited, wild party girl who doesn't care for her family. She's actually quite reserved, except when it comes to sticking up for her family or friends, and prefers a quiet night in with friends. Ella's rebuilding her relationship with her sister and Dad, and learning to deal with her grief in a healthier manner. She doesn't know if she is always making the right decision, but she tries her best. She's empathetic and a good friend. I could actually see myself hanging out with her in high school, and I could relate a bit to her close knit misfit group of friends. Speaking of friends, I almost think that Sadie and River steal the show a bit! I absolutely fell in love with them, Sadie in particular. There provide the friendship and support that Ella needs, but they are fully developed, complex characters that stand on their own. We also got to Charlotte and Ezra's relationship progress, and some plot lines continued from Waiting for the Storm, which was nice. I liked seeing their relationship through Ella's POV, and I really liked Ezra's friendship with Ella!

Angel Island is a small town, and so there are hardships for anyone who is considered different, especially by their peers. The story also has a LGBT storyline that I think was done very well. I won't go further into it because I don't want to give too much away, but I just want to make note of it because the visibility of these stories and characters are important. Similarly, River is a teenager of colour, and is connected to his Mohawk culture, and grew up on the Tyendinaga reserve. He talks about stereotypes about indigenous people in Canada (Turtle Island/Kanata), and has experienced ostracization from his peers due to his heritage and race. For the most part, River's storyline was also well done, although there were two instances that I was a bit weary about: River and his mother are described as stoic (a common stereotypical description of indigenous peoples) and a costume decision towards the end of the book (I'm still conflicted about whether it was problematic, or a chance to rebel against the media's depiction....). River was a complex character, though, and didn't fall into being a stereotype himself. I also liked how these two storylines and characters highlight the prejudice that still exists in Canada, much as it does in the US, as sometimes it isn't talked about as much because we are seen as a diverse, multicultural, polite society. It's nice to see it not swept under the rug in Canadian YA books!

In the end, After the Storm didn't disappoint! I thoroughly enjoyed continuing on with these characters, and meeting new ones along the way. Marie Landry never fails to write engaging and emotional contemporary YA books! I highly recommend this book, whether you've read Waiting for the Storm or not, as you'll be swept away by the characters before you know it.

DISCLAIMER: I received an advanced copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Margaux Espinosa.
1,290 reviews19 followers
September 3, 2014
*Received copy in return for honest review*

I really enjoyed this book, I read the first one and couldn't really get into it much but I instantly liked Ella so I was excited going into this book and didn't feel disappointed. Again, Marie Landry is a great writer, her story is great, it flowed well, and this go around I enjoyed all the characters. I felt the emotion behind the words and I felt connected to the story and the characters.

The characters were beautifully done, I LOVE Ella, she's confused, sad and learning to cope with things most people her age don't have to go through. On top of that she is lucky enough to find friends she feels like her true self with and surprisingly enough know what its like to go through grief. Ella has a decent head on her shoulders, gets good grades and regrets the mistakes she made while going through the worst of her grief and anger. She has a great support group and learns to trust and lean on others when needed and learns to be there for others and stand up for them. Ella also finds herself making "friends" with the handsome Native American stud named River. Oh boy, so not only does her sister, Charlotte, catch a mature, responsible and kind hottie but so does Ella! River is the son of Ella's counselor and is a dream boat, he is kind, compassionate, her best friend, there for her no matter what and instantly molds himself into Ella's little family.

Then you have Sadie, God how I love Sadie, her false confidence and bravado, her outrageous sense of style, and her secrets! I cannot wait to read her story! Sadie has distant parents, meaning they don't care how much distance they put between them and her, so Ella takes her in and makes her family. Simple as that, Ella loves Sadie and her crazy, supportive and elaborate ways. Sadie designs her own clothes, marches to her own drum and likes to act like she's tough as nails, but she is actually going though a lot inside and through her friendship with Ella and finally feeling the love of a family she starts to open up and feel good again. Gosh I can't wait to read more about her and hope Marie Landry will be writing a book from Sadie's POV!

This was a great book and I'm glad I got to read it, I think anyone that is reading this review right now should take the time to read "After the Storm", it is DEFINITELY worth it!
Profile Image for Lesley.
330 reviews27 followers
November 16, 2014
I received a complimentary e-copy of After the Storm in exchange for an honest review.

Elle is hoping to reinvent herself in a new place for her senior year of high school. Her world as she knew it blew apart last year after her mom was diagnosed and then died from a brain tumor. Her way of doing things then led her on a self-destructive path of one bad choice after another. With the love and help from her dad and her sister and her sister's boyfriend, she's in a new town, ready to make a new start and put the Elle of bad choices behind her.

She meets a pair of misfits and school and soon discovers that Sadie and River are the best friends that she could ever ask for - each of them is dealing with their own struggles with loss and the past. Sadie becomes like a sister to her and Elle and River soon realize that their feelings for each other go beyond friendship.

I really enjoyed this story. My heart broke for Elle as she tried to deal with her feelings of guilt and anger and everything else she had going on and I was happy that she found a strong support system in Sadie and River to help her through things. River was perfect for her and I was glad that they didn't really have any angsty moments between them - they both had insecurity and self-doubt enough in their own minds that it wasn't necessary for any outside forces to try to keep them apart. Sadie was a great best friend and would have been the kind of friend I would have wished for in high school, a little bit kooky, but loyal as the day is long to those she cares about.

After the Storm is book 2 in Marie Landry's Angel Island series, but it's the first book I've read in the series. While I don't feel that I was at all lost as I started reading, this book was so well written that it makes me wish I had gotten to know Charlotte better in Waiting For the Storm before being introduced to her as a secondary character in Elle's story. So I will be going back and getting it off Amazon. There is also a 3rd book in the works, Take Them By Storm that is expected out in 2015, which is Sadie's story and you'd be right if you guessed that I'll be keeping my eyes out for that one!!

Profile Image for Jenna.
273 reviews
December 16, 2014
* I recieved a complimentary copy of this book for a honest review *

I really enjoyed this series! They both are great young adult reads. I have to say I enjoyed the first book in the series a little more than this one. It took me a little bit to like Ella. Probably because of how awful she was in Waitng for the Storm. But she definitely came around in this book and I really felt for her. I liked seeing the relationship between the sisters. I have to say I was a little bugged that their dad was still so absent in this book. I was really hoping he would play a bigger role. All In all these are great books and I would definitely recommend them to friends. I am looking forward to the third book in the series.
Profile Image for Amber Dicks.
74 reviews3 followers
September 9, 2014
This book was beautifully written. Anyone who knows what it is like to grieve the loss of a dear friend/family member will go through this 7 stages with Ella while reading this book. Every single feeling that Ella and Charlotte experienced through this story, I felt with them. Then when you start to learn Sadie's story, I traveled on her emotional roller coaster too. I truly loved the fact that this wasn't just Ella's story... It was her story...Sadie's story... and River's story... All three of them deserve the friendship and love that they've found within each other!
Profile Image for Diana.
316 reviews1 follower
July 26, 2016
Grieving can do strange things to a person. Sometimes it makes us do things we know are wrong, yet we continue to do them anyway. It takes a strong person to own their mistakes and an even stronger person to be willing to change. Ella may have taken the long road but she eventually found her way home where she belongs with her whole family. Full video review on YouTube channel Adventures-IN-Print. https://youtu.be/YY6EPqnlhoE
Profile Image for Gabs .
485 reviews74 followers
October 4, 2014
Read more of my reviews at My Full Bookshelf Reviews

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ella's story is something I looked forward to reading, because out of all the characters in Waiting for the Storm, she is the one who interested me the most. She was not a likeable character by any means, but I though it would be fun to get inside her head and learn more about her.

In the previous book, Ella was a holy terror. This book comes after her change of heart, so there's not as much emotional turmoil in here as there would have been with the Ella of the first book. In fact, she barely resembles the person she was in the first book, and it borders on unbelievable. She now has an awesome relationship with her sister, and I would have liked to see that be built up a bit more, rather than the book starting with them already super close again. She has to deal with feelings of guilt, but she doesn't have to struggle all that much to reconnect with her sister, for the most part. Seeing as what originally hooked me in Waiting for the Storm was Ella and Charlotte's interactions, this kind of disappointed me. Charlotte and Ezra are actually not hugely prominent in this story at all. The main secondary characters are River and Sadie.

River and Sadie were good in the fact that I liked that the author developed them instead of just throwing them into the story and not doing anything with them. A lot of YA has those random sidekick characters that don't do much other than provide sarcastic comic relief or something along those lines. Sadie and River, however, were crucial characters to the story, which I appreciated. Still, I never really loved them. I didn't ever get to learn enough about River to ever get emotionally attached to him. He was the love interest, and his personality was kind of bland. Plus, I felt like the romance was kind of just thrown in there for Ella to have a boyfriend, and I didn't feel any chemistry between them. I am admittedly very picky when it comes to romance; barely any romance is ever perfect for me, but it did bug me.

I thought Sadie's character was the better of the two, but for the first half of the story, I was kind of bored with her storyline. The most memorable part of it until around the halfway mark was Ella and her watching Doctor Who--a great show, but not the most exciting story for a contemporary novel.

This book tended to drag at times. Like I said before, I don't really care if Sadie hooked Ella on Doctor Who. I am fine with that being in there, but I felt like sometimes those scenes would go on for too long. Or, the scenes that were supposed to be really tense and/or emotional would fall flat for me.

I was hoping I'd like this more than Waiting for the Storm, but this one had some problems for me too. It was not a horrible series by any means, but it never had enough to fully grab me, and so I think I will be stopping at this book rather than going on with the Angel Island books.
Profile Image for Jaimie Admans.
Author 16 books570 followers
April 8, 2014
I absolutely loved After The Storm. I actually didn’t think I was going to be able to read it in time for Marie’s release day today – last night I was only 48% through it on Kindle so I was going to cobble together a quick mention of how good it was so far, but once I started, I couldn’t stop. I was desperate to know what happened, and by 4am, I had found out. It was fantastic, and well-worth the extra tiredness today!
The first book in the Angel Island series was one of my favourite books of last year, at the end of the year, I intended to do a top ten list of books read in 2013 but as usual, I didn’t manage to find the time. I wish I had because Waiting For The Storm would have been in my top three. Obviously, I was thrilled to hear Marie was doing a sequel, and I couldn’t wait to read it!
After The Storm focuses on Charlotte’s sister Ella. I didn’t particularly like Ella in Waiting For The Storm, it was only towards the end that I started to warm to her, but I had no doubt that Marie would be able to pull off a whole book dedicated to her, and she has. Ella is a fantastic character, a girl who knows she’s made mistakes and is still trying to overcome them. I think we’ve all done stupid things and not known how to make up for them, how to make sure that people don’t define you by the mistakes you’ve made. It’s just part of the journey Ella is on in After The Storm, and it makes her a wonderful and endearing character.
The side characters are just as much a part of the story too, and River and Sadie are amazing. And I’m just as much in love with Ezra as I was in Waiting For The Storm!
I cannot recommend this series highly enough. It’s real life, touching, emotional, it will make you laugh and sympathise, and cry, and then sob, and then cry some more before ending with a massive grin! Marie is a fantastic writer, she really knows how to describe the grief of losing someone and the pain of trying to live your life without them.
Roll on the next book in the Angel Island series. I loved Sadie in this and can’t wait to read her story too!
Profile Image for Monica.
533 reviews58 followers
June 7, 2014
After the Storm is the story of Ella who has recently decided to change her ways and with new town and friends nothing could be better. Ella is trying to start fresh, after her mothers death she realized how awful she was to her family and is now trying to be the person she knows she can be. She starts school and is hoping no one finds out about her past. In the process she becomes friends with River and Sadie who themselves are far from the “in” crowd.

Ella and Sadie become fast friends but soon Ella realizes Sadie has issues of her own. Sadie is dealing with her family and classmates who can’t or won’t except her for who is she. Meanwhile Ella and River have a budding romance and Ella is at odds as to how to deal with it. She has never had a “real” boyfriend, she just used to hook up with guys but doesn’t know how to really date. River is a nice guy who likes Ella for who she is and is willing to take things slow in order for Ella to sort things out.

This book although is a standalone does have characters from Waiting for the Storm, Marie Landry’s previous novel. I was able to read that novel last year and I must say it was one of favorites. The characters are real and flawed which I loved. It deals with real issues and I think people can identify with. I also enjoyed that Ella has owned up to her mistakes and doesn’t put the blame on others. She knows what she has done and is trying to make things right. I also love how she is trying to mend her relationship with her family.

Overall I really enjoyed this read. It’s a wonderful story of family and mending. It’s about learning to love yourself and knowing that your past should not dictate your future. I highly recommend both Waiting for the Storm and After the Storm, two awesome books from a talented writer.
25 reviews
December 3, 2014
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. I read this right afterWaiting for the Storm and I have to say I really liked Waiting for the Storm better. I felt like Ella's voice was just a touch to juvenile. It's possible that Charlotte was just so incredibly mature that reading one book after the other showed a bigger contrast. All in all it was a good read and I enjoyed it. I look forward to reading Sadie's story.
Displaying 1 - 19 of 19 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.