Start by marking “Infinity: Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Infinity: Volume 1

Infinity: Volume 1

(Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection #92)

The year's most anticipated blockbuster cosmic event is here, as the Marvel Universe marches towards Infinity! The mad ti tan Thanos makes his world-shattering return, and his armies fire the opening shots of a galactic war that will be fought both on Earth and in deep space - with our heroes caught between both battles! As Thanos' secrets are revealed, the Inhumans' city ...more
Published February 5th 2014 by Marvel Comics (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Infinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinity

Sam Quixote
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Infinity is basically two stories – the Builders, the creators of the universe, are now destroying worlds and Earth is on their hit list. The Avengers join numerous alien forces and head out into deep space to take them on. The second story is that while Earth is “defenceless”, Thanos launches an attack on Earth searching for his mysterious tribute. The Inhumans also play a big part in Thanos’ story and the larger structure of the Marvel U.

I think that this mini-series was a total mess. Jonatha
Abhinav
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
You can read the full review on my blog:

This year has certainly been the year of mega-crossovers and events. Barely does one stop when the next one begins. With Marvel, it was, first, their Marvel NOW! relaunch last fall, which was quickly followed by the universe-wide Age of Ultron, and then immediately after that we delved into TWO crossover events. The first of these was Avengers and New Avengers scribe Jonathan Hickman’s grand space opera Infinity and
Logan
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to review this one...? What a beautiful mess! So I got this first part of this massive story(I think the normal trade is over 600 pages!) as a gift from my dad, and its one of many of the Infinity stories involving Thanos. I feel like The infinity stories are like Marvels equivalent of DC's Crisis stories! But anyway so the story is there is an intergalactic war going on, an advance race of beings called The Builders have a massive fleet and they are ripping through the galaxy. So Empires su ...more
Sevki
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Waste of money and time. Oh Lord except for the big events like Secret Wars, I will not purchase any other Marvel event again.

Only 1 thing you should now for this so-called "event", which is below:

*SPOILERS*

In the war against Thanos, The Inhuman King Black Bolt triggers the Terrigen bomb(s?) around the globe, and a lot of new Inhumans begin to emerge. This is the ONLY thing to be developed further in the Marvel universe that you need to know. Apart from that, a 224 page of trash. You're welcome
Phillip Berrie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
To my mind, this is one of the better huge character ensemble stories put out by marvel.

I think this is mainly due to the fact that it is actually three stories in one, one of which is the continuation of the Illuminati storyline.

The only main con, is that there is no long term consequences for any of the characters involved, despite millions of other beings dying.

Rating should be 3.5
nina
It's Thanos versus the universe and vol.1 is just packed full of Marvel heroes, ka-pow action, and space drama. Unfortunately, there's almost too much of it. The artwork is great, but everything else is just a bit of an onslaught on the senses. I had to re-read a few portions too because I kept losing the thread of the story. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, but then I'm not a huge fan of big event storylines either. Still, a respectable three for some of the enjoyable moments.
Darryl Almonte
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another classic.
Robert Caple
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book literally made zero sense to me. I've read the entire thing and have no idea what's going on. Very confusing.
David Pain
Dec 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I bought this on a day out in London that was too near Xmas or birthday to get anything that I remembered being on any wish list - I'd always liked the cover of this and the Marvel Cinematic Universe had piqued interest in the Avengers and Thanos.

Whilst I enjoy the films very much I don't really read any Marvel comics bar Deadpool. They seem colourful, pretty and arbitrary to me. Jonathan Hickman wrote East To West which is interesting, at least.

This looks amazing. Top modern stuff. Story is utt
Anthony
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In honor of the upcoming blockbuster event of the year, (Avengers: Infinity War), it's time to check out one of the influences for the film, Infinity by writer Jonathan Hickman. The story explores a major Marvel event, where Thanos begins a galactic war as the Avengers fight both in space and on Earth. Here's the synopsis:

The year's most anticipated blockbuster cosmic event is here, as the Marvel Universe marches towards Infinity! The mad titan Thanos makes his world-shattering return, and his a
Francisca
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
compare to the other marvel graphic novels i've read so far this year (New Avengers, Volume 1: Everything Dies and New Avengers, Volume 3: Other Worlds) this was a welcomed change. the pacing is much more efficient and the characters (the main ones, at least) have a bit more space to feel like something more than names thrown in the mix. i'm moving immediately unto the second volume
NickM
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellant art and story, it's always great to have both.

This is a huge crossover event that can feel a little muddled at times, with who's fighting who and who's working with someone else or betraying etc.

Luckily, it's all compelling enough to not feel like a total drag, which such a story has a great risk of doing. I was able to understand entirely what was going on without having needed to have read tie-ins, and while I'm sure that most of the subtler nuances were lost to me, I enjoyed Infinit
Laura Angell
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the first Infinity story I have read so I wasn't too sure what to make of it. There was way too much going on - I felt like all of the different storylines had just been mashed together a bit awkwardly, and because of this none of them were particularly strong. It seems a shame that we see so little of some characters as it almost made them feel like fillers, or convenient ways to fill up awkward plot holes. The artwork is stunning, however, and I am interested to see how all of the vari ...more
Michael
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
If you liked the film, then this could scratch the itch, and give you something similar, but different. The illustrations are what sell this book, they are rich, theatrical and detailed. The storyline deviates from the film, with the comic also choosing to focus on a select few group of characters not covered in the film. It bares striking similarity to the plot of "Mass Effect 3". Overall, enjoyable and engrossing.
Tym
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the iffy start with the Prelude, I wasn't quite sure if I was going to enjoy this but Hickman delivers a solid story with generally excellent art. By the end of the volume I was wishing Hickman wrote epic sci-fi or fantasy novels, he moves lots of pieces well and definitely creates a sense of scope.
Johnny Andrews
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot going on in this huge sci-fi epic. Most if not all of world's heroes have gone into suicide mission against a whole battle fleet of alien war ships.
Meanwhile Thanos has taken this moment to approach earth looking for something specific.
On it's own it is a good read, but soon will start part 2 and then it might all come together and be-wow!
Oran
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hickman has the impossible task of collecting all the greatest heroes against the biggest, world-ending threat. There are elements of this that go over my head because I do not have years of Marvel knowledge which is to its detriment at times, but the galactic sprawl and presentation of the threat is well-done, as well as the battle sequences. An extra star for the phenomenal art.
J.A.Birch
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good collection of characters from across the Marvel universe. Interesting intersecting storylines with a good overlying arch, although it seems very similar to other Marvel stories. A lot happens and yet not a lot happens, there's a great deal of information to process. All in all an enjoyable and intriguing first volume.
quincy  jackson
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Very good read and I see how it was that some of this was taken and put into the Infinity War movie. This is not same as The Infinity Gauntlet story. Over all it keeps my interest but but i felt it was bit misleading. It was more about The Builders than it was Thanos. In mind there was nothing all that special about The Builders.
Saphirablue
Elliott Frank
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Goofy and fun in the way that most of Marvel's cosmic events are. I still hold that Hickman is at his best when he's not tasked with writing these major crossover comics, but I'm not sure how many writers would do a better job tackling something of this scope.
Alexander
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is mind blowing, highly recommended.
Matthew
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very long but enjoyable
Satwik
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
very fun bit gives teasers to the movie
Carine
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading this before the upcoming movie is out.

The Art is great and I am a sucker of a Marvel Assemble but the story ain't doing anything for me.
Hope the next issues are better !

Simão Cortês
I actually read all the infinity issues but I don't think it's worth it to add to two books to my list. It was a somewhat forgetable story. Marvel has had much better events.
Ian Moore
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant book - a visual and creative masterpiece. Let the lavish pages whisk you through this epic roller-coaster ride. Escapism at its best.
Suzanne
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Too much of a mixed bag, it has got a lot of interesting and beautiful stuff but also a lot of boring stuff and all in all it is just way too much which makes it hard to get through
Bjarne Siewertsen
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a great and coherent story.
vibraniums
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-heroes
guess who can't stand Thanos ??
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Justice League 3000, Vol. 1: Yesterday Lives
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - Prelude
  • Thanos: Redemption
  • World War Hulk: X-Men
  • Before Watchmen: Dollar Bill (One-Shot)
  • Hellboy: The First 20 Years
  • Dark Matter Volume 1: Rebirth
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin
  • Aliens: Defiance, Vol. 1
  • The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s '2001: A Space Odyssey'
  • Nova, Volume 4: Original Sin
  • The Mighty Avengers, Vol. 6: The Unspoken
  • Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at

Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection (1 - 10 of 154 books)
  • Marvel Origins: The 60s (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • Thor: Tales of Asgard
  • Doctor Strange: A Nameless Land, A Timeless Time (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • Fantastic Four: The Coming of Galactus (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • Fantastic Four: Doomsday (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man No More (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • The Invincible Iron Man: The Tragedy and The Triumph (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Part 1 (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Part 2 (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)
  • The Inhumans (Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection)