Start by marking “The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)

The Widow File (Dani Britton #1)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,269 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
Dani, a data analyst with an elite security firm, possesses the unnerving ability to read people by the trash they leave behind. Receipts, parking tickets, the detritus of daily life—if you leave it behind, she will figure you out.

Her latest case involves high-tech industrial espionage at a corporation with ties to the military. But when a team of assassins sweeps through
Published January 1st 2014 by Thomas & Mercer (first published November 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Widow File, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Widow File

James Thane
Dec 31, 2013 James Thane rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A petite young data analyst named Dani works for a very secretive, exclusive security firm on the outskirts of Washington, D.C. The firm is doing a job for a defense contractor, attempting to determine who in the firm might be leaking its industrial secrets. Then out of the blue one day, Dani's boss announces that the job is over. The client has called them off and the team is to assemble all the material it has collected so that the client can pick it up later that day.

Oops. Dani has taken some
Dinah
Dec 16, 2013 Dinah rated it liked it
The plot was compelling and the characters relatable. This was a fun book to read. The reasons I did not rate it higher were 1. The ending and 2. the confusing explanations.

The ending - I am always big on an ending. I do not care if it was not the ending I wanted, I just want it to feel in synch with the rest of the book. So if we are going to follow people through every second of their lives for two days, do not stuff the an ending that span months into a coupl of pages and then leave us hangin
Kaitlin
Dec 09, 2013 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Widow File
By S.G. Redling
Click book for description
Available 1/1/14

I am trying something different for a change. I’ve been loving NetGalley but decided to switch it up this time and try out a new feature offered to Amazon Prime Members (such as myself – proud member for 2+ years!) called Kindle First. Each month I am offered a few pre-release titles, where I can pick one to read (and lucky for you all – review it too!) So here goes my first one!

Finish time: 5 nights. Again I probably could h
Marvin
Dec 20, 2013 Marvin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dani is a data analyst for a security company investigating possible leaks in a corporation. She and one other analyst becomes the survivors of an attack that killed all the other analysts and stole their files. Dani is left to figure out why they are after her, what information they seek and why they want to kill her while eluding the a clever hit man named Booker.

That is the bare bones of a ordinary and overdone plot. You would think there are only so many thriller plots that an author can do
Kathy Martin
THE WIDOW FILE was a gritty, realistic thriller with a very complicated plot. Dani works for an exclusive and secretive investigative firm outside Washington, D.C. She is what they call a Paint. Her specialty is learning about a person by the garbage they leave behind. She is a quiet, private person whose only friends are her colleagues at work but the friendships are surface, "work" friendships.

When the boss tells them to drop their current case and pack up all materials gathered, Dani has to
YouKneeK
Apr 02, 2014 YouKneeK rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, standalone
I had mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it was a very fast and engaging read. Whenever I picked it up, I ended up reading for longer than I had intended because I got wrapped up in the story and didn’t want to put it down. There were only three characters with any significant “page time”, but I found all three of them to be interesting and believably written.

The main reason I didn’t rate this book higher is because of how abrupt the ending was. There were a lot of things that need
Patricia
This book has to be the most riveting thriller that I have read in months. It is only 190 pages in length but it is 190 pages of heart-pounding action. Scene after scene, chapter after chapter, the race for our two protagonists to survive against a killing machine never flags.

From the very first page we know the identity of that killing machine – Booker. He is a well referenced independent contractor, is quite skilled at his craft and he loves doing it. He has a high level of intelligence and a
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
This book totally sucked me in. I couldn't put it down.

This author is incredible. It is a crime/mystery/suspense/assassin book. It is gritty and at times violent, but somehow as you read, you are pulled in. The suspense is palpable. It is very descriptive of all senses, but isn't distracting in any way. My mind easily sees it as though I am watching a suspenseful movie. The characters come to life, and a few of them, as imperfect as they are, just enter your heart. Just fantastic writing.

And th
Jack
Apr 03, 2015 Jack rated it liked it
Have you ever seen Three Days of the Condor? That's how The Widow File starts out. Dani Britton works for Rasmund, a security firm near Washington D.C. Their latest case is over and called, all materials to be boxed up and returned to the client. Dani has a habit of taking things home to mull over them. When she returns from getting the bag of items brought home, screams, heavy footsteps, slamming doors, and pops greet her. It is a harrowing experience as she tries to hide in plain sight, with k ...more
Kevin Schick
Jun 20, 2014 Kevin Schick rated it it was amazing
I vested with Dani…

Her mother told her it was better to be careful than clever, Dani Britton thought it might be better still to be both. SG Redling vested me with Dani, with her will to live, her quirks, her determination, and this - her story. The Widow File is a constant barrage of pace, twists, lies, truths, and a young woman's battle against all odds to live, and she wasn't even five feet tall if she was an inch. This thriller is a guide to Washington DC, a chilling profile of an assassin,
Tanya Eby
Fun, fast-paced, action. And I got to use my tough voices. :)
Cheryl
Sep 04, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
A game of cat and mouse

I like author Redling's writing style. This is the second book I've read by her, after FLOWERTOWN and I have the second book in the Dani Britton series REDEMPTION KEY sitting here waiting for me to open the cover after I finish this review.

Intuitive analyst (which means she reads other people's trash) Dani Britton works for Rasmund, a private security firm based in Virginia. She's short, doesn't dress well and doesn't have many close relationships. When the job she's assig
Jaylia3
Sep 10, 2013 Jaylia3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrifying thriller stars short, nerdy heroine

This book starts in a leisurely fashion then quickly takes off, setting the fastest pace of any book I’ve read recently. Almost all of the action takes place in one breath-taking harrowing day, but though the book gripped and terrified me so much I could hardly put it down, a short summary of The Widow File--a thriller set in an elite security firm--would not necessarily have made me want to read it. Luckily I’ve learned to trust S. G. Redling’s skil
Amy
Jun 16, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC/Thriller: I picked this book on the Amazon Vine List because I had read Flowertown (a sci-fi book) by Redling and I had really liked it. In reality, this book is better!
I saw this book doesn't come out until January 2014 so no spoilers here. I will say that I have been in the mood for spy and spycatcher books and this book could be about espionage...or something even bigger. If you look at the description, it has a Days of Condor feel to it.
I really liked the main characters of Dani, Booke
Julie
Dec 05, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
The Widow File is very fast-paced and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. There are a couple of incongruities that struck me as I was reading though.

**Spoiler alert**
One of the incongruities: Dani had money hidden in various places, even going so far as to mail it to herself. Why would a normal person who felt that she had a regular job and a middle-class upbringing do something like this? I didn't get the feeling that she considered her job dangerous in any way.

It was only about 200 pages and was wo
Normalene
Jan 15, 2015 Normalene rated it really liked it
I had read her book "Flowertown" and loved that one, so when I found out she had more, I had to have them. In this series opener, we meet Dani Britton - a data analyst for a company called Rasmund and her friend Choo Choo - another data analyst. When they are the only two who escape the destruction and coverup of their workplace, they have to figure out why before Tom Booker, the assassin on their trail finds them and completes the job.

You like Booker and then you don't and then you do and then
Lisa
Jul 16, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: recentlyread
First of all, let me tell you about Kindle First. If you have Amazon Prime, Kindle First lets you get a free book for your Kindle every month – prior to its release date! Did you see that? FREE BOOKS! (As if I needed more free books.) It’s a very cool way to get new books as soon as they are released. The Widow File by S.J. Redling is the first book I’ve picked up under the program and I can’t wait to see what the options are for next month.

Dani is a Paint. (Didn’t mean anything to me, either.)
Larry
May 07, 2014 Larry rated it really liked it
A high-level security firm is tasked to identify a leak within a scientific firm. Apparently it succeeds too well, for the security firm's headquarters becomes the target of a search-and-destroy mission by a group of mercenaries. The mercenaries kill a dozen members of the firm, take away the head of the firm, and are themselves killed when the building is destroyed in a pre-set explosion. What did the firm stumble upon? Who employed the hit team? And what will happen to the two surviving member ...more
Cheryl
Apr 15, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
The beginning of this story reminds me of a film starring Robert Redford: THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR. And it kept me just as enthralled.

Our heroine, a short, nondescript nerd, leaves the security firm that employs her, to collect evidence from the case that she's taken home to work on. This is a no-no, and she's about to be caught out because their client has just cancelled the project; she has to turn the evidence in immediately.

So she rushes home, picks up her evidence bag, and comes back to wor
The Crime Scene Scene
Feb 18, 2014 The Crime Scene Scene rated it it was ok
The Widow File is a standalone novel by author SG Redling. Rasmund Security have their current job investigating a company called Swan closed down and while out retrieving information, investigator Dani returns to headquarters to find that an unknown group of assailants have stormed the building and killed her colleagues. As she investigates she uncovers a deeper plot that will involve shadowy government agents and a darker secret about the company she works for.

I found this book to quite confu
Jenny
Jan 28, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
I'm torn about this book. I love the author and this is the third book I've read of hers (supporting local authors!). I also enjoy her writing style. I feel as if they are snippets of something larger and most often I don't feel like I need more.

This story is different though. It took forever for anything to really happen. I don't often read thrillers so maybe the cat & mouse game tends to really be 75% of the book before the action happens. While I liked the main characters, the world build
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Read this on a Goodreads friend's recommendation, and enjoyed it very much. A feisty main character, and an interesting, fast-paced story. Also got the next in the series, and will be reading it soon; wish there were more!
Kiki
Jun 18, 2014 Kiki rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of S.G. Redling after reading Flowertown. Her writing style is very engrossing and real. Her characters aren't too perfect or imperfect enough to make it uncomfortable. The Widow story once again has a flawed but relatable female main character that gets sucked into an unsuspecting story line. The first thing I did after finishing this book was to purchase the next in the series. I am eager and excited to see what happens next!

POTENTIAL SPOILER:

I was actually convinced one person was
Taylor
Jan 02, 2014 Taylor rated it really liked it
As with all of Redling's books, I enjoyed The Widow File immensely. She has a way of writing really strong but realistic female characters; they always stand up for themselves and the people/issues they care about but aren't immune to the stress of the impossible situations they find themselves thrown into. Not to mention the twists she always throws into her stories are ones I don't always see coming - usually a crazy conspiracy but not an unbelievable one.
I appreciated this book because of how
Willa
Oct 07, 2014 Willa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
I picked this one up three or four times before I actually read past the first few pages. I found it very hard to get into, but once the big event happens, i.e., every one of the heroine's co-workers being killed, (not a spoiler) the story picked up and I found it very engaging.

What I had a problem with in the beginning was the descriptions of the people that Dani, the protagonist, worked with. The spoiled rich boy, the lisping secretary, the woman who wore too much perfume; I couldn't imagine
Kriss
Jan 11, 2014 Kriss rated it liked it
This was one of those books that was perfect for when I read it. I loved the story but it had enough issues for me that took place in the short 203 pages which I feel if fixed would have made it a stellar read instead of a good read I am giving it "I LIKED IT" more like a 3.5 star.

First off some of the aspects were convoluted and ridiculous and it would have been fine (I watch COVERT AFFAIRS) but the problem is there was not enough backstory to help me apply my complete dispelling of belief. So
A. Bowdoin Van Riper
I'm a sucker for books with brilliant, eccentric characters who see things that other people overlook, and notice patterns that other people miss. I took a chance on this one because its heroine -- Dani Britton, a data analyst at an elite private security firm -- promised to be such a character. Three chapters in, the story was unfolding like a gender-swapped Three Days of the Condor, Dani was behaving like the heroine of a routine woman-in-jeopardy thriller rather than the smartest person in th ...more
Lauren Good
Dec 21, 2013 Lauren Good rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I tore through this book because the pace just doesn't let up, and unlike some other books it doesn't go on long enough to wear you down. The initial description led me to believe the killer and the heroine would form an unlikely alliance -- I'll just go ahead and clear that up. The killer is just that. If you're imagining Martin Blank from "Grosse Pointe Blank," stop now. One of the things I liked about this book is the depth it gave this admittedly awful man. He isn't one-dimensional, but he n ...more
Keely
Dec 30, 2014 Keely rated it liked it
In this D.C. crime/ espionage thriller, Dani Britton is an analyst for an elite investigation firm. When an investigation is called abruptly and her coworkers killed, diminutive Dani is set on the run, with only a fellow coworker and her special skills for reading people and finding patterns in data. Hunted Dani eventually manages to charm and impress the hit man sent to dispatch her. This book would make an intense movie. Not what I would usually read, trashy in places, but overall I enjoyed it ...more
James Sorensen
Apr 24, 2015 James Sorensen rated it it was amazing
Dani Britton is a data analyst for the elite security firm Rasmund. Dani is one of a group within the company called paints. A paint's job is to analyze all information that is obtained via audio, video and physical collection. Dani's subspecialty is to analyze all trash that is collected from the suspect i.e. receipts, food wrappers, post-it notes, photos etc.

Rasmund has been investigating a case of employee theft inside a company called Swan Technologies but without notice the investigation i
  • Silent Echo
  • The Barkeep
  • End of Secrets
  • Long Knives
  • The Unforgivable Fix (Mort Grant #3)
  • Plaster City (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #2)
  • The Rented Mule
  • Resisting Ruby Rose   (Ruby Rose #2)
  • Black Harvest (The Project, #4)
  • An Image of Death (Ellie Foreman, #3)
  • A Cold and Broken Hallelujah (Long Beach Homicide)
  • Tunnel Vision
  • The Woman from the Blue Lias (a murder mystery)
  • The Shadow Hunter
  • A Dark Perfection
  • Switch (Forever, #7)
  • Disintegration: A Windy City Dark Mystery
  • Silent Mercy (A Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2.5)
5321964
S.G. Redling, a graduate of Georgetown University, has spent fifteen years waking up the good folks of Huntington WV and its environs on the WKEE-FM morning radio show. She recently wound up her headphones for the last time and is focusing on thrillers, mysteries and urban fantasy. When S.G. isn't writing (don't tell Christine Witthohn!) she loves to paint, travel and embarrass herself by speaking ...more
More about S.G. Redling...

Dani Britton (2 books)
  • Redemption Key (Dani Britton, #2)

“When it comes to danger,” he’d say, “everybody’s chicken. But there are two kinds of chickens—chicken hawks and chicken shits. And it doesn’t matter how high up you throw chicken shit, it ain’t never going to fly.” 5 likes