Start by marking “The List” as Want to Read:
The List

The List

Phoebe Henderson may be single but she sure doesn't feel fabulous. It's been a year since she found her boyfriend Alex in bed with another woman, and multiple cases of wine and extensive relationship analysis with best friend Lucy have done nothing to help. Faced with a new year but no new love, Phoebe concocts a different kind of resolution.

The List: ten things she's alwa
Published April 10th 2014 by Quercus (first published December 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The List

Floripiquita
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2019
3,5, pero redondeo hasta las 4 estrellas por lo mucho que me he reído, sobre todo con la primera parte, pues la segunda -aunque sigue teniendo sus toques de humor- me ha parecido más triste.

Vaya por delante que no considero este libro una historia romántica, es... otra cosa. Es la historia de una chica escocesa, que se parece a Christina Hendricks pero se siente insegura y sola tras el engaño de su último (y gilipollas) novio, y la lista que hace a principios de año para superar su ruptura sent
Aditi
We don’t get to pick who we fall in love with, and it doesn’t happen like it should.
----No Strings Attached

Actually that was the underlying story of 32-year old Phoebe Henderson’s solitary life. Phoebe Henderson is the protagonist of Joanna Bolouri’s debut novel, The List, which is an amusing story about a single woman’s crazy sexual adventures.

Synopsis:
Danielle
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

There’s nothing I love more than a sexy, sassy, fresh read to pull me out of a reading rut and THE LIST was the perfect remedy for my recent reading slump. I devoured the book in a matter of hours, unable to put it down as it kept me chuckling, gasping and experiencing a little blushing. :)

In THE LIST we meet Phoebe; ringing in the New Year she’s feeling conspicuously single after discovering her ex in bed with his boss months before. Eager to change h
Andrea
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I translated this book into German, so I had to read it several times over. Having read it about five times, translated it and reviewed the translation, I still found myself laughing out loud in the middle of my work. Bolouri has a brillliant sense of humour and the same warm approach to her characters I have come to admire in Scottish authors. Phoebe, Lucy and all their friends are full of flaws - but everyone is lovable (apart from Alex, maybe).

A very enjoyable read!
Jolien
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, read-in-2015
Review on my blog: The Fictional Reader

Review

When I requested this, I was expecting a good adult romance story. I believe that my expectations of what this book was going to be like may be one of the reasons I didn’t really like this book. I know that many people love this book -as it has so many 5 star ratings on Goodreads- but I just couldn’t agree with them. Here’s why.

I do not think this is a romance novel. Which is fine! I’m not saying that every book should be. But this is advertised as
Heather
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-13
Dominatrixes don't cuddle and listen to Johnny Cash, we are complete bastards and we listen to Rammstein.

Joanna Bolouri's The List is the modern lady's Bridget Jones' Diary, but with the sexual tenacity of Sex and the City. Picture the end goal being sexual liberation in 2013 and not a boyfriend in the 1990s and you're on track.

This follows Phoebe, a 30-something singleton whose ex-boyfriend Alex has left her heartbroken. Not content with a year of being sad, she wants a new year's resolution
Maria R
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He devorado el libro en cuestión de horas, sin poder dejar de leerlo, me mantuvo sonriendo y expectante durante toda la historia
Me gustó Phoebe, me parecio valiente, sincera, dispuesta a equivocarse y a no ser perfecta y sobre todo comica, sus anecdotas y ocurrencias me han hecho reir a carcajadas, en alguna que otra situacion me he visto reflejada, y yo tambien he hecho listas
Tiene el amigo perfecto para acompañarla en su lista de propositos/gymkana, no quiero decir mas, por si os animais a lee
Jane Harding
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 estrellas
Ana

Also posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Writing a review for 'The List' feels like going into labour. No, no drugs or blood will be involved, however it's gonna be very very hard. I don't know about you, but for me the hardest reviews to write are those about the book I absolutely loved. I just feel like saying OH MY GOD, THIS WAS SO SOOOO GOOD, GET A COPY AND START READING IMMEDIATELY. But that won't be enough e? Also, there's the fear, the fe
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The List is the debut novel from Scottish freelance writer, Joanna Bolouri and was long listed for the 2014 Guardian’s Not the Booker prize.

Though it's been a year since Phoebe Henderson found her boyfriend in their bed with another woman, she is still an emotional wreck. Desperate for something to change, on New Years Eve she decides to make a list designed to add excitement to her life - and comes up with ten sexual experiences she wants to try, from watching another couple have sex to masteri
Melek
Now I'm gonna tell you how much I hated this book.

Okay, maybe "hate" is a little too harsh of a word, but even after sleeping on it, I still can't find a better word to explain my feelings. This says a lot.

Yet, I think sleep helped me find the problem: I can't stand characters with self-esteem this low. I can understand feeling depressed after being cheated on, and I can understand second-guessing yourself after a break-up. These are no stranger to most of us, including me. Still, none of these
Quirky Omega
One of the most confused, witty and adventurous heroines I have ever come across. I haven't often liked or even respected Phoebe for how she went about doing things, but she's one heck of a character to read about.

And so much sex! This woman just blew my head off with the number of encounters she has had. Nothing explicitly described, thankfully (mostly) so I didn't have to go through her embarrassing life incidents. And were there so many unfortunately embarrassing incidents.

I have no idea why
Ailish Sinclair
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A naughty read with a great big heart. I enjoyed the contemporary Scottish setting, I really want to go to The Witchery in Edinburgh now! Once you're in a few chapters it becomes a bit unputdownable (autocorrect tried to change that to unpardonable, always knew it was a prude). I recommend sitting down in front of a log fire with copious chocolate - there's some positive body image stuff in the book that will help you do this - and marathon reading it.
Natalie TBGWP
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, favorites
After finishing a book which let's just say wasn't all that, I deliberately opted for this to liven me up and get me out of what I knew would become the dreaded bloggers reading slum. I need something quick, witty, spicy and shocking. And I was so hoping this would be that... My god, I was in seventh heaven when I got started. This was everything I wanted and much, much more.

When a diary book is done right it is a winner. The thoughts and feelings are pure and not ones you'd usually see or hear
Sheerie
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh my days, where do I start....Well if you want a simple chick lit with the occasional kiss, this is NOT the book for you. If you want to sit reading, mouth opened, laughing out loud, cringing, toe curling and then thinking wtf, this might be your type of book! Phoebe has a broken heart and decides to make a TO DO list but not like most peoples, go on holiday, change a hair cut style of list, it's to broaden her mind and try new ideas sexually. To do this she needs a mans input (laughing at my ...more
Sasha (seetheworldwithbooks)
Bookevin
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
www.iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com

Have you ever read a book you enjoyed so much, that you’d even pretend to be the characters? Well, The List is one of them and I did swear a bit too much after reading it! Which is a good thing, but it does garner me hushes and disapproving stares.. But still, I really enjoyed every page of it and I think you would too! If you don’t mind the swearing.

The List follows the story of newly single woman in her thirties, Phoebe Henderson who is an incredibly funny heroi
H.L.
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of the funniest novels I have read. I spent the majority of it laughing until I cried. It was hilarious, endearing, at times cringe-worthy in an “OMG how could she say/do that?” kind of way, filled with fabulously real characters and incredibly unusual and yet entirely believable situations.

Ms Bolouri really out did herself with this novel. It speaks to women of a crazy overtly sexualised society and shows them the funny side of finding out who you are both in and out of bed.
Marie
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I really loved this book! It took me quite a few chapters to really get into it but once I did, I was addicted.
By the middle of it, I was sure I'd give The list at least 4 stars. Sure, it wasn't perfect. Some sex scenes could have been better written.I didn't always believe the way the characters were acting or feeling and I had to make up stories in my mind to explain their feelings and behaviour but none of that really brothered me because I had so much fun reading it. The main character was o
Julie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cheesy, trashy and predictable but some amazing laugh out loud moments that made up for it!
Aneesah Unsworth
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book to read when you fancy a bit of a pick me up. Has to be the only book that has actually made me laugh out loud. Recommend it girls!
Charl
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-rated
I sped through this book at a rate of knots, managing to finish it in a day. It's by no means short and I felt a little cross-eyed by the end, but it was totally worth it. I thought it would be one of those books that I could drift in and out of but I literally couldn't bear to be parted from it. I cursed the fact that I had to, you know, eat and move.

My initial reaction on finishing the book? YES. Bolouri you effing beauty. I was only part-way through when I texted friends telling them to read
Kobby Gyampoh
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Also available on http://chicklitpad.blogspot.com

Imagine This: Since your cheating, SOB boyfriend dumped you it has put a hole in your sex life. Hole, (I use this word loosely) since he was not much of an experimentalist and loved the old-fashioned way even missionaries stopped using when they came down to Africa to ‘spread the—ahem, babies—gospel… anyway!

Point is, he messed up your year when you caught him rolling in bed with some unknown creature of giant tits, Miss Tits, you like to refer her
Sally Whiteside
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Praise for Miss Bolouri and her fabulous book. This is absolutely hilarious and superbly written. One of my favourite authors as of now.
Agi
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, favourite
I have spotted The List on NetGalley already in November or December last year and my gut feeling told me it is going to be a great read. But because I like my great reads to be in paperback I didn't request it then and waited for my physical copy to arrive. And well, let me tell you, it was absolutely worth the wait and my gut feeling didn't disappoint me. It was BLOODY BRILLIANT read, for sure one of my must - reads in 2014.

The List is about Phoebe who, I'm not afraid to tell, is one of the be
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review: wow, I picked this book up and I literally couldn't put it down! I started reading it after work and before I knew it, it was midnight and I was 300 pages in! If I didn't have work the next day I definitely would've finished it then and there, it was such an original story, funny and relatable with the most-well described Glasgow setting I have ever read in a book!

I talked a couple of weeks ago about things I'd like to see in the books I read, books set in Glasgow was one of those thing
Jill
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had heard so many great things about this book I was itching to read it, and was absolutely delighted to be approved for a review copy.

If you want a book that will make you laugh (alot) this could be the one for you to pick up. Phoebe and her exploits had me laughing throughout. A word of warning that it does contain lots of references to sex, and some scenes set in the bedroom (and other locations), but it is all written with great humour, and I wouldn't say in an offensive way at all.

We sta
Jenny in Neverland
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I actually won a copy of The List in a giveaway and wasn’t really sure what to expect. I read the blurb and it sounded funny but I had no idea how much I would enjoy it, to the point of quite confidently being able to say it was one of the best books I’ve read in 2013. The List follows the story of Phoebe, a normal 30-something woman who has had her heart-broken. After a year of moping about, feeling sad about her failed relationship and 500 quid’s worth of therapy sessions, she decides to make ...more
Bobbie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my giddy aunt, I bloody LOVE Phoebe! I want her to be my best friend. The List was a serious test of my willpower - I wanted to devour it in one sitting, but I also couldn't bear for it to end so I had to ration myself and only read a bit at a time.

It's chick-lit, but the really good type. It's not all namby-pamby romance and twee middle-class shenanigans. It's hilariously irreverent, bravely bolshy, brilliantly lewd and has one of the highest feel-good factors I've ever read. Seriously, this
  • The Mysterious Miss Mayhew
  • One Step Closer To You
  • The Way That You Play It
  • Creative License
  • The Perfect Retreat
  • GianMarco (Blood Brothers, # 1)
  • The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance
  • It Had to Be You
  • The Deepest Ocean (Eden #2)
  • Here for the Cake
  • Make My Wish Come True
  • The Right Side of Mr Wrong
  • Afternoon Rhapsody (Bandicoot Cove: The Wedding #1; Bandicoot Cove #4)
  • Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1)
  • Is This Love?
  • If Only We Knew (My Best Friend #5)
  • Goddess
  • The Castle
“I could spend all day lost in someone else's imagination. I love reading.” 6 likes
“So you fucked up. Big deal. Nobody died.” 3 likes