Start by marking “Emptiness Dancing” as Want to Read:
Emptiness Dancing

Emptiness Dancing

There is something about you brighter than the sun and more mysterious than the night sky.

Who are you when you are not thinking yourself into existence? What is ultimately behind the set of eyes reading these words? In Emptiness Dancing, Adyashanti invites you to wake up to the essence of what you are, through the natural and spontaneous opening of the mind, heart, and bod
Published May 1st 2006 by Sounds True (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Emptiness Dancing, please sign up.
Geri Degruy metaphorically, yes. And you might want to dance when grasping what he's teaching.

Start your review of Emptiness Dancing
Jade
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book, and very often go back to it.

On a practical side, it's organised into different, stand alone chapters, that address topics such as Fear, Love, Dharmic Relationship, and Enlightenment. You can read it from the beginning to the end, or dip in and out depending on which chapters catch your eye.

I found the book to be really well written, and discuss each topic with great depth and clarity, and to be accessible to people at all stages of their spiritual evolution.
Carolyn
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. I've read this book at least 4 times. Very easy and clear to understand. Doesn't have a lot of difficult terminology or lingo that some spirituality books use. I've given this book about 10 times as a gift because I think it's that important.
John
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
The unfathomable world of zen broken down by a realized master. Adayshanti was born and raised in the SF Bay Area in California, which for me made his style more accessible than many teachers from the East. The book is free of Zen jargon and traditional Zen koans, however it is not lacking in ability to disarm the mind from concepts. Adyashanti describes his awakening and what it means to live an awakened life. What it is to find that deep peace and radiance. This is the essential non-dual guide ...more
Dona
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
A student recommended this book to me before Spring Break, and I really enjoyed reading it very slowly. I don't know much about the author--if he really practices what he preaches--but I definitely thought there was wisdom to be obtained from his writing and his outlook on life, which are very positive.
Magdelanye

his approach to awakening is not based on spiritual practices, but rather on the disarming and deconstruction of the personal identity. from the introduction pxv
Whatever you may think or feel about yourself has nothing to do with you whatsoever. p60

Whoa! Doesn't this go against everything we are striving for? Whether we have disciplined ourselves for a structured life or if we are just stumbling through our days; doing our best to keep up or to excel;or not: our identity is something we spend ou
Fi's Journey
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Go to the unknown, experience the unknown, be the unknown."

"None of your identities exist until you think them into existence."

This book has many great things to tell, but also I believe Adyashanti seems too nice sometimes, as there were passages that I disagree with. But overall I enjoyed it. I've tried reading everyday 2 chapters and sometimes random one's as he suggested in the preface.

This is definitely for people who are truth-seekers and want to be inspired.

"When you really love, y
Earl II
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a marvelous book by author who has lived through the very thing is trying to help others lived through. The writing style is easily readable and devilishly complex at the same time. I found myself rereading sections and discovering things that I had missed during prior readings. I also found myself realizing what the author was trying to say only after I had finished the book and started through it again. This is a book where indigestion is insufficient. Digestion is the key and it takes ...more
Justin
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Didn't resonate with me, but it could've just been my judgemental mind.
Seeing a white guy from North Cal with a fancy/shiny robe and a nice watch didn't set a good impression. The author saying he was visited by a ball of white light as a kid probably didn't help either. I will probably need to read Cutting through Spiritual Materialism a few times before I can read the author without being so judgmental.
Jill
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A book I'll continue to read over and over to remind me of how from less comes peace and love.

Adyashanti writes simply of our need to empty ourselves of all we believe we are, using the teachings of Buddha. His conversations with students are helpful in answering the readers questions along the path to acknowledged englightment.
Kim
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Adya is so clear, precise and present. Even more so in person. If I could spend more time at his retreats, I would be a different person. Nonetheless, he is one of the most inspirational people I have encountered and feel lucky to have him lecture in the Bay.
Petra
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a real lesson in mastering my ego.
I would recommend it to anyone who struggles with the concept.
Bhakta Kishor
There is the mania in society of collecting things. What is the reason for this? Why does man want to accumulate? Really, there is a big emptiness inside which has to be filled, and it has to be filled up with anything, otherwise you feel very empty. If you possess nothing, then you feel very empty inside. Just think: if you have nothing to possess, you will be free and empty inside.

This emptiness within you hurts, so it has to be filled up. Therefore you fill this emptiness with money, position
Masi Dawoud
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deep insights of Adyashanti put into clear, concise, and compact writings that unfold into infinite wisdom when they touch you.
Josh
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Adyashanti has a knack for explaining things simply and clearly.
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This really makes you questions everything which is the whole point of the book. An amazing read, beautiful to consider and contemplate. Nothing is as it seems and that’s the beauty of it.
Michelle
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More wonderfulness on getting out of the monkey mind and self-realization . . . realing loving reading Adyashanti . . .
Karen
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book

One of the very best spiritual books I’ve ever read. I had many insured while reading Adya ‘s books. They are very enlightening.
Nicole
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wise words from a true Zen master. Such profound insights and I must admit, things that went over my head. I will definitely be reading this book again.
Shari Hardinger
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable, thought-provoking and surprises throughout. It challenged my beliefs in several areas regarding enlightenment.
Geri Degruy
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Zen books I've ever read. Highly recommended.
Autumn
Very helpful, especially the chapters on Control and Letting Go
Tom Collingwood
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The past few years I have been reading a lot of spiritual / new age / Buddhist books. I think because I have had this preamble I can perhaps get through this without getting phased by his terminology (its not technical per se just ... other?). He writes to the reader in a similar manner to Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now. Both claim to be awakened individuals (or nobodys? or everythings?).

I always describe my joy when reading these types of books akin to reading poetry. I love the messages of compa
Debra
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lot of Buddhist texts can be kind of hard going for me. Not this one. I roared through it, thought about it throughout my day, and was thrilled to get home to read it some more. The basic premise of the entire text is: just be. That's it. So simple - and yet so complex.

I learned a lot from this book, and I expect I'll return to it again in the future, and will learn new and different things. I loved the interview with Adyashanti at the end, and thinking about how he entered into spirituality
Farah Al-Shuhail
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's always nice when I read an author that I agree with. Adyashanti's spiritual teachings are profound and clear: Realize and be. At first glance, his message seems simple, however, not every seeker can live up to the conditions he set forth for attaining wisdom and enlightenment. But it's always worth trying. The only thing that prevented this from being a 5-star book was the dialog, I didn't find it very useful.

"There is no way that you couldn't just love this world to death, even though you
Tina
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
I am upgrading the rating of the book, because coming back to it offered insightful answers at the right time. Latest favorites were the chapters about ego and spiritual addiction that supported me in NOT being swayed by perpetual spiritual warriors. There is nothing to fight or to search for - the truth is already here. As the message from beloved Gangaji, so is the message of this book - powerful and so profoundly simple that we often have to be reminded of its simplicity in many words, many b ...more
Michael
Adyashanti's perspective on the True Self (no-self) and the interconnectedness of Reality is amazingly deep and lucid. Cutting away theory, he expounds on truths that can be verified by anyone...anyone willing to deconstruct thier personal identity, that is. I very much recommend this book to any sincere seeker of Truth.
Stephen
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult book for me to read. I just could not get into this book. I would read a few pages then fall asleep. Try to read a few more pages the following day then start to nod off. I've read numerous books on awakening and unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book at all. Maybe I was just not ready for this book... Its a shame as a few of my friends highly recommend this book.
Peggy
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Inspired me to listen to more of Adyashati's talks, which I download from the internet. I find him to be a great teacher. He makes spiritual issues a reality instead of something you feel you can't approach.
Del
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nondual
I've already read and rated this one, but am reading again to see whether there are new insights to experience given my other reading.

2/27/2011 As I suspected, I got something completely different from the second reading. Good stuff.
Richard
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good pointers and some very good insights into questions people like me have. In combination with some other reads this provides some tools to let go of the old concepts and encourages not replacing them with new ones.

• I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • Freedom from the Known
  • Stillness Speaks
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • Your Primal Nature: Connecting with the Power of the Earth
  • Personal Healing
  • Energy Anatomy [With Study Guide]
  • Radical Honesty : How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
  • Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and Communications of the Dying
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • Invisible Acts of Power: Channeling Grace in Your Everyday Life
  • Being Aware of Being Aware
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.

News & Interviews

“My speaking is meant to shake you awake, not to tell you how to dream better.” 55 likes
“The Truth is the only thing you’ll ever run into that has no agenda.” 52 likes