Start by marking “True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness” as Want to Read:
True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness

True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness

What would happen if you were to allow everything to be exactly as it is? If you gave up the need for control, and instead embraced the whole of your experience in each moment that arose? In the 14 years that he studied Zen, Adyashanti found that most seasoned meditators had used the practice as "an end instead of a means to an end." What he ultimately realized was that on ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Sounds True (first published 2006)

Start your review of True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness
Vani
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adya is one of my fav authors. In this book, he answers questions on meditation. I meditate for an hour every day and I have so many questions in my mind. Like, so many things happen to you when you are in that state. Adyashanti answers most of those questions. But my fav book of his will always be Falling Into Grace. I simply loved that book and can read it a hundred times. I would strongly encourage my GR family to read Adya's books. I have another one of his lined up on my reading shelf: The ...more
Guy
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Guy by: Atul
This is a clear, concise and beautifully written description of what Adyashanti calls 'true meditation'. And of course that made me smile, because, really, what does that mean. And then my smile deepened as I read the book, not in any ironical way, but in the way of seeing meditation with more awareness and knowledge. My smile deepened with the truth of what he described. At least, his idea 'truth' and mine about the purpose and result of meditation overlapped to a significant degree. And so I h ...more
Sir Readalot
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it

Unlike other books on meditation, Adayshanti focuses on the core Philosophy of meditation. In this short book he discusses the correct attitude of a meditator, what our "goals" (later on you'd read how there are no true "goals" as a meditator) as meditator should be and what we can expect out of it.

What really stuck with me was the attitude part where he advices the reader to let go of the control of our brain in order to make it an ally, because forcing our brain to stop entertaining thoughts i
Kris Madaus
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a short book, but it might be one of the best "meditation" books I have ever read. I could be wrong, but I also feel that it might not be as valuable to a reader if they have not spent time learning or practicing present-moment awareness. Some of the subjects are simple on the surface, but deep and nuanced in the actual practice. Adyashanti does not explain everything for you. Instead, he points you in the right direction with the understanding that you can only know what he is referring ...more
Aviva Shore
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book as almost as pretentious as it's title, but for good reason- it's well written and the guided meditations are good (set the audio to normal speed for those).
Sohaib
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
After listening to the audio version so many times, and putting the 'non-practice' approach into practice, that is to say, letting go of all preconceived techniques, ideas, states of meditation, and what it should be all about, I have come to find that this is probably the best approach or attitude towards meditation.

The idea of this book is equivalent to 'surrender' which other, if not all spiritual teachers emphasize and reiterate; to name a few: Eckhart Tolle and Osho...

The meditative inquir
Craig Bergland
This is a fantastic book. While I find the author profoundly arrogant in person, his written work is excellent and manages to assume a more balanced tone than his speech. In my own practice, I have found moving beyond concentration to an open awareness and acceptance of whatever arises to be not just helpful but essential. His reasoning and explanations ring very true.
Elyse  Walters
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Not sure why I never rated or reviewed this book ... I own it....and not only have read it many times over the years, I've taken workshops, retreats, and silent weekends with Adyashanti.

All is books are good!!!!

Quinn da Matta
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This really did help give me a greater insight into the art of meditation, while also giving me the confidence to just be; it's not just about technique. The most important lesson I learned is that it is about giving up control and just being in the bliss.
Renee
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I lost a meditation teacher over the summer and find myself fishing around for one to take his place. My good friend talks about Adyashanti quite often and left this book with me on her recent visit. This is good for anyone who meditates at any level of experience or dedication. These days I teach structure to my students because most of them are just getting started. Adyashanti teaches people to meditate but without clinging to a structure. That is something to chew on. I agree that meditat ...more
Antonia G. Melamed
Different-Extraordinary-Leads one to OM

This is the best book on meditation that I have ever read and I’ve skimmed many. Adyashanti help me to “see” the mighty degree my mind has dominated my understandings of spirit and to relax into OM.
He discusses all one’s objections to his approach. I enthusiastically recommend this book. In my mind it’s classic. Beware you will be changed.
minz
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a beginning book but very helpful in some areas that I seemed to hang up on. It was also very much the ‘go do it’ book. It is not an entertaining story but is insightful, educating and motivated me to be more steady in my practice. I very rarely give a book more than 3 stars.

Daniel
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First, thanks to my friend Elaine who recommended this book. I've had so much more success with meditation in general when I deviate from some fixated path of posture and concentration which so many other methods teach. This book talks about looking past all that; looking deeper
Romeo Stevens
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
falls into the trap so many teachers do of preaching the practice the teacher happened to be doing at the time of their awakening as the 'real deal' ignoring both that their history with other techniques contributed and that others reach the top of the mountain using other techniques.
Josh
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5. Adyashanti is great.
Rui Torres
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crystal clear teaching explained for the 21th century western mind of what meditation and freedom really is - beyond practice and method.
Wendy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and insightful. One to reread
Daniel
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It truly enlightening book. That will challenge many people's beliefs about meditation and Awakening.
Deborah Adams
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most clear and concise treatment of meditation that I have ever read. This book is a gem.
Sophía
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A non-dogmatic take on awareness based meditation and contemplation.
Adrian
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting audiobook for me. I appreciated that the author was straight forward in explaining their approach, which they call "true meditation", to the reader. I learned a lot about meditation and why so many people find it useful. Overall, a solid little title that is sure to make you think.
Awenydd Orchantra Faeryn
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
True Meditation
Put certain phrases together
Like lightening rods
That pierced through to the natural unfolding of awareness.
He described the energetic open space that I feel when I feel in tune and aligned in my power, as the awareness I was "searching" for, what I relax into, and that has been remarkable to read directly, as I have so experienced.

I also really enjoyed his discussion on sincerity and integrity.

Definitely many notes, and certainly recommendations of all I've read by Adyashanti.
THOMAS LYNCH
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very true

reading the book and letting it sink it makes you realise how true his words are. IT's a must read for anyone really interested in knowing what this ride called being a human being is all about and how you can feel deep peace in all situations and experiences not by trying but by allowing the experience to be as it is which in itself is a revolutionary change in perspective and is really quite beautiful.
Jonathan Nobles
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple yet profound. For those of us who get stuck on technique or feel we have to approach meditation in a specific way to achieve results, Adyashanti's approach is a breath of fresh air. Let things be as they are, and recognize who, or what, we really are. That's all there is to it...but that's all we really need.
Abhishek
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A deeply insightful experience-based observation on the nature of meditation - what it is and more importantly what it is not. An indispensable guide for beginners and for seasoned meditation practitioners alike. My own meditation practice and depth of awareness has greatly benefited from the advice and observations laid down in this book.
Carisa
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was a quick read with some helpful things to say. Mainly that meditation is about attitude and that letting go of the meditator is helpful. I guess I was expecting something more, although I honestly don't know what that is. Overall, I found this book just okay.
Cyberpayanee
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very consitently and insistently drives the central point "let things as they are. Just do absolutely nothing to escape from the present moment" like driving a nail home. Staying with the flow of his arguement itself is a release. Wonderful. Cyberpilgrim
James Johnson
Feb 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
What a load of crap! The author makes bold assertions with no basis and I'm sure that people just eat it up. This was a waste of time and yet another failed example of Eastern religion or philosophy.
Linty
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-stuff
What planet does this guy come from? It can't be earth 'cuz his words are otherworldy...ooh, did I just say that?

Diane
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exellent
True Meditation 1 9 Mar 18, 2011 05:42AM

• At the Source of Being: Teachings on the Arising of the Awakened State
  • The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection
  • The Mind Illuminated: A Complete Meditation Guide Integrating Buddhist Wisdom and Brain Science
  • Tantra Illuminated
  • Siddhartha's Brain: Unlocking the Ancient Science of Enlightenment
  • Bliss More: How to Succeed in Meditation Without Really Trying
  • How Yoga Works
  • Power vs. Force
  • In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
  • An Invitation to Freedom: Immediate Awakening for Everyone
  • The Joy of Being: Awakening to One's True Identity
  • The Journey Into Yourself
  • Revolution for Dummies: Laughing through the Arab Spring
  • The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer
  • I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • Undisclosed Files of the Police: Cases from the Archives of the NYPD from 1831 to the Present
  • Eternal Dharma
  • The Professor Is In: The Essential Guide To Turning Your Ph.D. Into a Job
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.

News & Interviews

“Real meditation is not about mastering a technique; it’s about letting go of control. This is meditation. Anything else is actually a form of concentration. Meditation and concentration are two different things. Concentration is a discipline; concentration is a way in which we are actually directing or guiding or controlling our experience. Meditation is letting go of control, letting go of guiding our experience in any way whatsoever. The foundation of True Meditation is that we are letting go of control.” 23 likes
“Awareness isn’t something we own; awareness isn’t something we possess. Awareness is actually what we are.” 12 likes