Start by marking “Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)” as Want to Read:
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror

(Tales of Terror #1)

Uncle Montague lives alone in a big house and his regular visits from his nephew give him the opportunity to relive some of the most frightening stories he knows. But as the stories unfold, a newer and more surprising narrative emerges, one that is perhaps the most frightening of all.
Published September 18th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, please sign up.
Kyle A They are certainly creepy and the imagery is great but I would definitely suggest them as a gift. The series adds on to each previous book. I'm 25 and…moreThey are certainly creepy and the imagery is great but I would definitely suggest them as a gift. The series adds on to each previous book. I'm 25 and loved this series. (less)

Melki
Young Edgar grows increasingly unnerved as his strange Uncle Montague spins tale after haunting tale. The hour grows late in that dark and eerie house. There are noises - creaks, groans, someone dragging something across the floor in the room upstairs... Is it Franz, the mysterious butler whom Edgar has never seen, or something much more sinister?

Do not be lulled into complacency by the almost whimsical Edward Gorey-like illustrations. The stories in this book are genuinely creepy. Children feat
Blair
I've read Chris Priestley's 'Tales of Terror' series in a strange order which has meant I've come to this, the first one published, last. I also liked it the most. The formula used in the other volumes, with a central narrative tying all the other tales together, is at its best here. Naive young Edgar goes to visit his ancient Uncle Montague to listen to his macabre stories, each of which seems to be linked to an object in the room where they sit. Though he feigns bravado, Edgar grows increasing ...more
Jess
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2017, re-reads
"These things around us are possessed with a curious energy. They resonate with the pain and terror they have been associated with. My study has become a repository for such items. I am a collector of the unwanted, of the haunted, of the cursed - of the damned."

A sinisterly brilliant little book. I have loved these stories since I was 11 and even at 17, I still find them fascinatingly creepy. Excellently and maturely written, wildly entertaining and deliciously disturbing. The main plot linking
Jonathan Stroud
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superbly chilling ghost stories to scare young and old. JS
Phèdre Banshee
«Qualcun altro vive qui, zio?», chiesi titubante.
«Vive?», chiese stranamente lo zio. «No, Edgar».

Un romanzo piuttosto deludente, con uno stile goffo che penalizza anche gli elementi interessanti. La presenza massiccia di pulci nell’orecchio grandi come procioni e suggerimenti vari da parte del narratore finiscono presto per annoiare il lettore, che sin da subito sa cosa aspettarsi. Tre storie su nove mi sono piaciute, ma non basta a promuovere un libro intero o consigliarlo.

Recensione approf
Amy Eye
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: scary story lovers, people who like The Series of Unfortunate Events, older YA audience
I picked this book up from the library on an excursion to find something different. And I definitely found it in this book. I have always been a fan of things that touch on the darker side of things, but not going too far into it. I like my horror, don't get me wrong, but I also like the books that give you that little knot in your stomach without making you freak out every time the house settles or your dog barks.

That being said, I am an adult... the stories in here were written to frighten chi
Coos Burton
4,5

Es posible que si tienen gusto por las historias macabras, de aquellas que tranquilamente pueden contarse en ronda durante una fogata en la noche, más un acompañamiento de ilustraciones creepy al estilo Gorey, con otro toque de Tim Burton, este libro sea el indicado para ustedes. Olvídense de los prejuicios y las restricciones mentales que les pueda generar la etiqueta infantojuvenil del mismo, dejen esto último de lado si planean darle una chance a una antología sumamente entretenida. Estos
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror turned out to be a good choice to read for my 2nd Annual October Scare Fest. It's a creepy and unsettling book that features a story within a story narrative.

Uncle Montague tells his young nephew (more like great, great nephew) chilling tales based on knick-knacks and artwork the old gentleman has in his creepy house. These stories are short and edgy, with endings that are quite disturbing (for a children's book). In short, horrible things happen to some of these
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adoring the style of drawing/illustration and also loved the story too.
GridGirl
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
“‘Give me a funeral over a wedding any day,’ said Uncle Montague with a sigh. ‘The conversation is almost always superior.’”

Edgar’s Uncle Montague owns a lot of random knick-knack and there seems to be a story behind all of those items. Full of curiosity as he is, Edgar is eager to hear every single one of them and his Uncle is more than willing to narrate. But as it gets darker and the stories get spookier, Edgar starts to wonder if there is more to the stories than his Uncle is telling him…
I d
stefiereads
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bizzare, creepy, disturbing and full of horror. I had a great tense times reading this book.
There are moments when I have to put the book down and breathe, because I didn’t expect that it would be this scary!!!
My heart was beating so fast, and as I read story by story, I know that it would not end well, yet it still
gave me goosebumps! Just perfect for Halloween/ autumn reading!

I am just glad that I read it when I’m adult, because I can’t imagine a kid reading this book and how scared they would
Seydaghan
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Courtney Johnston
May 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Gothic tales about naughty kids, with a little twist in the tale, probably perfect for 8-12 year-old readers.

As a kid - and yes, still, more recently - I loved Rudyard Kipling's* 'Puck of Pook's Hill' and 'Rewards and Fairies'. Both are collections of stories about English (and pre-English) history - ranging from folk to historical tales - connected together through the figures of Dan and Una, who one day accidentally summon Puck (yep, Shakespeare's one) who becomes their guide through these tim
Burçak Kılıç Sultanoğlu
içinde Urfa da geçen cinli hikaye bile vardı :)) ben sevdim yaa sıkmayan eğlenceli bir kitap :))
logankstewart
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Christopher Priestley's Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror is the kind of book that begs to be read aloud, with a British accent, and in the dark of night sitting next to a roaring fire while an unnatural storm brews outside. This book is an anthology of ghost stories and cautionary tales, all told by the mysterious Uncle Montague to a rather dimwitted nephew, Edgar. Most leave you with a crooked smile after finishing.

Uncle Montague's home is filled with odd collectibles. An old brass telescope. A
MaggyGray
Wenn nur nicht jede einzelne Geschichte in einem totalen Disaster enden würde...
Cozydayscoffeebooks
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-books
Das Buch besteht aus jeder Menge Kurzgeschichten, welche Onkel Montague, der mit seinem Diener in einem düsteren alten Haus lebt, seinem Neffen Edgar erzählt. Edgar liebt seine Geschichten, auch wenn sie ihm ein unbehagliches Gefühl bereiten und er sich fragt, woher sein Onkel all diese Geschichten kennt.

Mir hat der Schreibstil unlaublich gut gefallen und die Geschichten haben mir den ein oder anderen Schauer über den Rücken gejagt. Die Athmosphäre des Buches ist einzigartig, die Charaktere span
Megan
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Throughout this book, I kept trying to decide whether or not I would have liked it when I was a kid. Like most kids I liked spooky stories. I always had a Goosebumps stuck in my backpack. I would sit in my best friend's room and we'd dare each other to open Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark to a random page and see how long we could last before being too freaked out by the illustrations to continue. (Seriously, just looking through Google Images for pictures like this one and this one is kind of ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

Uncle Montague is a bachelor who lives alone in a house that is packed with artifacts and collectibles. Edward loves to walk through the woods and visit Uncle Montague to hear his spine-tingling stories. Uncle Montague is reminded of each story as he picks up an artifact that is associated with it in his memory.

Edward's imagination is sent into a tailspin when he begins to wonder how Uncle Montague knows all of these frightening stories, and a darker
Hilary
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
imagine a cross between M R James and Edward Gorey, in particular 'The Gashlycrumb Tinies', and you pretty much have this book spread out in a nutshell. Solitary Edgar is in the habit, during the school holidays, of visiting his Uncle Montague, an equally solitary soul whose house (or at any rate the study, the only room Edgar has ever been in, save the lavatory) is filled with curios, each of which has a story behind it. A ghastly, creepy story which inevitably ends in the grisly death of its j ...more
Ken
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgar listens to the dark-themed stories told by his Uncle Montague about the collection of items that have, over a lifetime collecting, filled his study. Eventually, Uncle Montague ties all of the stories into his own dark, chilling past.

5 STARS
Jamie Arthur
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Çok korkunç olmasa da akıcı bir kitaptı. 4 yıldız verip vermemekte kararsızdım ama sonu sayesinde verdim. Montegue Amca'nın hikayesi beklenmedikti çünkü. Diğer hikayeler de fena değildi.
Neide Parafitas
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, leituras-2013
Sabem aquelas histórias de terror que todos nós ouvíamos quando crianças?? Pois bem, foi o que me fez recordar este livro.. :)

Adorei!!

Quero ler mais livros deste autor :)
Diana
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2017 Popsugar reading challenge (avanzado) #7. Un libro con un personaje excéntrico.

"¿Crees que exista una edad en la que tal vez te vuelvas inmune al miedo?"

description

—Como ya debes haberte dado cuenta —continuó—, estas cosas a nuestro alrededor están —¿cómo diría?— poseídas por una curiosa energía. Resuenan con el dolor y el terror a los que han sido asociados. Mi estudio se ha transformado en un depósito de objetos como estos. Soy un coleccionista de lo indeseado, Edgar; de lo poseído, de lo condenad
Chelsea
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I meant to read this on Halloween and got sidetracked:) The stories are definitely spooky and not for you if you don’t like hearing of unhappy ends for children. But I don’t normally like horror stuff and this was fine for me, so it certainly wasn’t extreme.
X
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful gothic writing style, creepy stories and a nice twist at the end! The Gorey-esque illustrations fit it perfectly.
Gecko
Edgar besucht seinen Onkel Montague, der gerne Geschichten erzählt. Er wohnt in einem Haus, versteckt in einem Wald und bei einer Tasse Tee erzählt der alte Herr dem Jungen unglaubliche Geschichten über Kinder und unheimliche Ereignisse.

„Tales of Terror“ fast den Inhalt ziemlich gut zusammen, denn es sind Geschichten des Grauens, die der alte Onkel hier dem jungen Edgar erzählt. Geschichten in denen Kindern unglaubliches zustößt... aber Edgar, gewitzt und skeptisch, glaubt natürlich kein Wort da
Ma
It is more of a 3 1/2 stars than a full 4.

This is a fine little book. I found it in the childrens section at Hatchard's a while back. And though it is meant for children - but of a certain age, it is quite scary at times! I know I would've been impressed reading it younger - those tales are still very enjoyable to read as an adult (as is the case with any good childrens fiction). I read them mostly one a day, as bedtime stories.

I don't particularly care for collections of short stories, although
lethe
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to lethe by: Cornflower
My review for the R.I.P. Challenge #3:
Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror was not on my initial list, but after reading Cornflower's great review I immediately ordered a copy for myself.

During the school holidays Edgar often visits his uncle, who lives in a house beyond the woods and knows many scary stories. The book relates one of those visits. The structure is simple: after an introductory chapter in which we meet Edgar and his uncle, each chapter consists of a cautionary tale linked to one of t
Raquel Maia
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ste livro conta-nos a história de um rapaz chamado Edgar, que durante as férias escolares, ficava em casa dos seus pais que lhe ficavam indiferentes, por isso vai muitas vezes a casa do seu tio Montague.
O Tio Montague é um mistério, toda a sua casa é um mistério, e Edgar não sabe muito acerca dele, só que conta histórias assustadoras que inventa ou que lhe são contadas dos objectos da sua casa, da sua sala e que Edgar vê por todo o lado, embora só conheça um quarto da casa escura.
As histórias sã
  • Half-Minute Horrors
  • The Thornthwaite Inheritance (Thornthwaite, #1)
  • The Toymaker
  • Echoes from the Macabre: Selected Stories
  • Isis (Harrow House, #0.25)
  • Horowitz Horror: Stories You'll Wish You Never Read
  • Night Music (Nocturnes #2)
  • The Long Weekend
  • Haunted Legends
  • Quiet Houses
  • Late Victorian Gothic Tales
  • House of Fear
  • The Midas Box (Mariah Mundi #1)
  • Being Dead
His father was in the army and so he moved around a lot as a child and lived in Wales. He was an avid reader of American comics as a child, and when he was eight or nine, and living in Gibraltar, he won a prize in a newspaper story-writing competition. He decided then “that my ambition was to write and illustrate my own book”.
He spent his teens in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, before moving to Manchester,

Tales of Terror (5 books)
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)
“Give me a funeral over a wedding any day,.' said Uncle Montague with a sigh. 'The conversation is almost always superior.” 9 likes
“Does something amuse you?' asked Uncle Montague.
'I was merely reminding myself, Uncle, that I am getting too old to be so easily frightened by stories.'
'Really?' said Uncle Montague with a worrying degree of doubt in his voice. 'You think there is an age at which you might become immune to fear?”
9 likes