Start by marking “The Dinosaur Lords (The Dinosaur Lords, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dinosaur Lords (The Dinosaur Lords, #1)

The Dinosaur Lords

(The Dinosaur Lords #1)

3.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,803 Ratings  ·  414 Reviews
Men and women live on Paradise, but dinosaurs predominate. Colossal plant-eaters like Brachiosaurus, terrifying meat-eaters like Allosaurus, and, the most feared of all, Tyrannosaurus rex rule the land.

Seeking to centralize real power in his figurehead Fanged Throne, Emperor Felipe of Nuevaropa sets off a chain of wars that may blaze up to consume the continent called the
Hardcover, Second Edition, 445 pages
Published July 28th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dinosaur Lords, please sign up.
Rachel Lein There is swearing, rape, murder, and graphic violence. If this is something that you don't want your 11 year old to read, then this is most definitely…moreThere is swearing, rape, murder, and graphic violence. If this is something that you don't want your 11 year old to read, then this is most definitely a book to avoid. This book is entirely for adults.(less)
David Read the reviews!

Read the reviews!

Overall, it isn't bad. It isn't amazing. The Dinosaur Lords will not change your life or remake the way you think about fantasy fiction.

It is a pretty straight forward, standard fantasy novel, in which the main characters ride dinosaurs and kill people. In that regard it delivers. If epic fantasy, knightly battles, and themes of good guys vs. bad guys does it for you, you will enjoy it.

If you come into it looking for Dinosaur Survival Horror in the Middle Ages, you will feel a bit let down.(less)

Mike
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
The Dinosaur Lords delivered exactly what the cover promises: knights on dinosaurs.

Of course it is a bit deeper than at.
The one thing you should know.
This world - Paradise - isn't Earth.
It wasn't Earth. It won't ever be Earth.
It is no alternate Earth.
All else is possible...
So right off the bat I could tell something was going to be lurking below the surface. Then BAM, we meet an Angel. And not one of your namby, pamby feathered pretty boys:
It strode from the cliff fully formed, emerging form
Andrea
Oct 08, 2014 marked it as to-read
Kaitlin
Dec 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Well honestly this book was a big disappointment for me really because after hearing the hype surrounding it and hearing George R R Martin endorse this I was at least highly intrigued by the idea of including Dinosaurs within a Fantasy...however, this book is nothing like what I expected or hoped for and every time I thought it could become something good it really disappointed me in the direction it turned.

I have many complaints when it comes to this book but mainly it comes down to lack of ori
Bookwraiths
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is 3.5 stars.

When The Dinosaur Lords was first announced back in 2015, the hype was palpable across the fantasy genre. The concept, the book cover, and that endorsement from George R.R. Martin created expectations which rose into the stratosphere; every fantasy reader seeming to be dying to get their hands on this cross between Jurassic Park and Game of Thrones.

Then the novel was released.

Reviews were mixed. Some loved it. Some hated it. Most naysaye
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/07/27/b...

Ever wondered what a tournament joust would look like, if both opponents were charging full-tilt towards each other while mounted on three tons of bellowing hadrosaurus? Honestly, I can’t say I have. But Victor Milán has shown me the light, and it is glorious.

Knights and dinosaurs. Tell me you can resist that, because I know I couldn’t.

The Dinosaur Lords takes place in the Empire of Neuvaropa, a fictional land reminiscent
Stefan Bach
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was ok

First of all, I need you to imagine such circumstances where time, nature and extraterrestrial gigantic rocks weren’t so cruel throughout - and at the very end - of the Mesozoic Era and wiped out these magnificent creatures.
Just imagine dinosaurs lingering awhile longer in this world.
Awesome, right? No! You crazy? No.

Secondly, I want you to imagine not so distant history filled with lords and knights and queens of medieval time. A bit romantic isn’t it?
If we exclude famine and plague and av
Bob Milne
I first became aware of The Dinosaur Lords back in November of last year. Once I got wind from Victor Milán that ARCs were appearing in the wild, I began (politely) begging for an ARC in April of this year - and Tor Books were quick to oblige. As you can guess, I pretty much devoured it the week that it arrived, but I sat on my review until now, having been asked to wait until closer to the release date.

What we get here is exactly what the cover blurb promises - an historical fantasy, with all t
Sean Smart
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
A beautiful looking book but didn't enjoy it all despite the great reviews and recommendations from people like George R R Martin. I thought it was a missed opportunity for a brilliant concept. I am sure a lot of high fantasy fans will love it though but I just could not get in to it, keep up with what was going on or who was who.
Joel
Jan 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
Full Review on my blog, Total Inability To Connect

Few books gathered more anxious and excited energy in 2014 and early 2015 than The Dinosaur Lords. Armed with a brilliant piece of cover art, a big publisher, and a very unique and (potentially) exciting premise, the novel seemed poised to take off upon it's release. However, following it's late July arrival, talk of it all but disappeared in the fantasy communities, and the reviews coming back at that point were tepid, at best. Why?

Well, mostly
Geek Furioso
No puedo decir que odie con toda mi alma a The Dinosaur Lords. Sólo que me hallo sumamente decepcionado.

Caballeros montando en dinosaurios, me dijeron. Algo épico, me dijeron. Pues ni una cosa ni la otra. Este esperpento de novela no es más que otro intento de ordeñar la vaca de las intrigas palaciegas que crió Juego de Tronos, pero metiéndole caballeros en dinosaurios que están ausentes durante casi todo el libro. Combina eso con el worldbuilding más patéticamente vago que haya visto en mi vida
Kuroi
May 05, 2015 marked it as to-read
Did someone say epic fantasy with DINOSAURS?

Sara Harvey
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Ooooohhhhh this book! Where even to begin?

So, in full disclosure, I was given an ARC to read by the author.

While I thought the premise was intriguing, I initially cracked it open because I am a fan of Victor Milán and his writing. But within a few lines, I was HOOKED! Hooked like a nosehorn, I tell you!

If you are a dino geek, you will love this book.
If you are an epic fantasy geek, you will love this book.
If you an intrigue geek, you will love this book.
If you are a warfare/battle geek, you will
Karina
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Insufficient dinosaurs, no completed storyline, too little exposition(!).

(If you bring in the T-rexes and they aren't actually eating everyone, why... why? Dino-sigh.)
Liviu
review 2016 after publication of volume 2 Dinosaur Knights:

looking back at my 2015 review on original publication, I mentioned that book 2 will make or break the series for me in terms of really becoming interested or just dropping it, and when i got Dinosaur Knights around publication a little while ago, I started reading it and wasn't that impressed but as with all books that have potential but fail to involve me early, I started browsing ahead to see if I find a "hook' and in this case I actu
Sean Kelley
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
SPOILERS

I'm having a hard time reviewing this book because...

it's not good. It's really not but... dinosaurs.

There are basically four main characters. They're pretty ordinary and one dimensional. There's the rogue with the heart of a gold, the dashing knight, the mysterious warrior, and the princess who yearns to see the world outside of the palace. Every single character makes exactly the choices you expect them to make. They're all fairly wooden and boring... but dinosaurs.

The plot is boring.
Evan Morgan
Sep 27, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Knights on dinosaurs... Why has no one thought of this before now?
Mark
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A very rare did not finish for me. A brilliant premise, but I just didn't care about the humans in, this book.

I haven't read this book for a few days and I haven't had a serious urge to start reading it again which is a problem.

I have other books to read and more coming next month.
Liam
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ho boy. I didn't expect much from this book to be honest - the concept of dinosaur knights in medieval Europe is pretty bloody pulpy - but I got even less than that. Gave up on this one about 60% of the way in.

Where to start. Speaking of starts, the book took until about 100 pages in to actually pick up - everything before that is either an extended prologue, or hamfisted character introductions which completely failed to impress any interest or empathy upon me. Conversations would proceed slowl
The Shayne-Train
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was such a fun, interesting experience!

There are knights, and wars, and gallantry, and betrayal, and motherfucking dinosaurs struttin' their stuff.

description

Yeah, like that guy.

This was a weird but ultimately well-crafted piece of fantasy. The setting is pretty much Middle Ages Spain, but not OUR Middle Ages Spain. I can't tell if it's just an Earth-like place, or the ever-popular "aliens built this place as a kind of Earth creature zoo." But either way there are lots of fine Spanish gentlemen r
Wanda
Reasons to love The Dinosaur Lords:

1. DINOSAURS. Yup, they're part of everyday life on the planet of Paradise.
2. A chance to actually use that French/Spanish/Latin that you've studied in school.
3. All the fun stuff included in high fantasy epics--battles, personal vendettas, romances, escapes and captures, death, lies, and sometimes truths.

This novel owes a debt of gratitude to many that went before it. There is a nod to Anne McCaffrey’s Pern books (if you are present at the hatching of one of t
Maitrey
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
I'll be honest, I picked up this book thanks to that blurb from GRRM and the awesome cover. The hype from my favourite SFF site tor.com (ok, they are affiliated with the publisher, but I love their recommendations) helped a lot too.

The book was pretty much a let down. Although there is enough action and politics happening all the time, the machinations are pretty absurd. This is due the extremely poorly written characters. You've no idea what is drving them at all. (Except for the clichéd genius
11811 (Eleven)
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
UPDATE: My library got this one in. I could have gone with the free preview after all. I pushed myself to read half of it because the concept and artwork are so awesome, the book itself should be too, dammit. But, I couldn't keep going. The story was bland as hell. Very cool pictures though. I highly recommend browsing them before putting the book back on the shelf.

When I requested this book from Netgalley, I didn't realize it was a preview excerpt. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I have no d
Vagner Stefanello
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Um dos lançamentos mais aguardados do ano de 2015 no Brasil e mundo afora, Os Senhores dos Dinossauros chegou até nós pelas mãos da editora DarkSide Books no mês de setembro de 2015.

O livro nos apresenta diversos personagens e um prólogo, no mínimo, estranho à primeira vista. Um garoto pastoreia um "rebanho" de dinossauros enquanto um mítico Anjo Cinza aparece e diz para ele esquecer que o viu, apenas "lembre-se quando for convocado a se lembrar". De
Marcos
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A tradução é horrivel mas não é o único motivo que faz deste livro, regular, para não ser muito rigoroso. É uma história ruim com dinossauros. E nem os dinossauros salvam a obra do fracasso. Não fazem a menor diferença na trama e chega a ser irritante o uso de expressões envolvendo os bichos. Ainda mais quando o autor chega ao ponto de fazer uma analogia com um dinossauro macho, pasmem, no cio.
Para não ficar só nos aspectos negativos, gostei da história não contada de Paraíso. Tem elementos nela
Shadowdenizen
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-series
I wish I could rate this book higher.

I liked it, but didn't LOVE it, and I feel like I'm missing something... Can anyone who REALLY loved this title explain to me what hooked them?

At this point, I'm not sure whether I'm willing to continue with the series...
Kelsey
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, literature
This is a fun, romping adventure. I didn't go into expecting too much, seeing all the mixed reviews, and I think hat helped. All I knew going into it was that it had knights who rode dinosaurs. SOLD! I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters will develop in the next books.

Actual rating: 3.5/5 ⭐
Nathan
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
So, epic fantasy with dinosaurs thrown into the mix, what could be better than that, right? This was the question I asked myself when I got extremely excited to read this book, and then came the letdown. It was okay. Just okay, nothing great. My first and largest complaint is the lack of a map with this book. Maybe I am being a little picky, but the map that was in the book was not sufficient for this epic world the author tried to create. The map at the front of the book only includes one main ...more
Marjolein
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

O, Dinosaur Lords, how much I was looking forward to you! The idea of combining knights and dinosaurs just sounded so great, it had to be great. Then the reviews started to come in, and they were not that enthusiastic, but I held a copy in my hand, and the drawings were so nice. It had to be good. Needless to say, my expectations for this one were sky high.

It managed however to bother me from page one. It starts saying that this world
Geeky.Com
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF : Because I have no idea where the story is going, the characters seem bland and the world building is kinda off even for a fantasy book.
Eduardo Schimitt
Juro que tentei, mas não consigo continuar lendo. Uma hora eu tento terminar.
SFF Readalongs le...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chap 48 & 49 & Epilogue & Final Thoughts 7 29 Oct 01, 2015 11:00AM
SFF Readalongs le...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chap 3 & 4 & 5 4 20 Sep 19, 2015 01:31PM
SFF Readalongs le...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chap 36 & 37 & 38 2 5 Sep 19, 2015 12:15PM
SFF Readalongs le...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chap 27 & 28 & 29 2 8 Sep 18, 2015 03:46PM
SFF Readalongs le...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chap 9 & 10 & 11 3 10 Sep 18, 2015 03:21PM
SFF Readalongs le...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Prologue & Chap 1 & 2 10 22 Sep 18, 2015 03:19PM
SFF Readalongs le...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Chap 6 & 7 & 8 2 11 Sep 06, 2015 10:49PM
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga, #1)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • Guns of the Dawn
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #1)
  • Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1)
  • The Vagrant (The Vagrant, #1)
  • Blood and Iron (The Book of the Black Earth #1)
  • Drakenfeld (Lucan Drakenfeld, #1)
  • The Boy with the Porcelain Blade (Erebus Sequence, #1)
  • Cold Iron (The Malorum Gates #1)
  • The City Stained Red (Bring Down Heaven, #1)
  • The Copper Promise (The Copper Cat, #1)
  • The Unnoticeables (Vicious Circuit, #1)
  • When the Heavens Fall
  • The Barrow (The Barrow #1)
  • Blackdog
  • The Thousand and One (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #2)
Victor Woodward Milán is an American writer known for libertarian science fiction and an interest in cybernetics. In 1986 he won the Prometheus Award for Cybernetic Samurai. He has also written several shared universe works for the Forgotten Realms, Star Trek, and Wild Cards Universes. He has also written books under the pseudonyms Keith Jarrod, Richard Austin (Jove Books The Guardians series), Ro ...more

The Dinosaur Lords (3 books)
  • The Dinosaur Knights (The Dinosaur Lords, #2)
  • The Dinosaur Princess (The Dinosaur Lords, #3)
Careful what you wish for, lad, Rob thought. Blood’s not so easy to put back in, once you let it flow. Your own no more than anybody else’s. 3 likes
“There’s always another weapon to hand, if only you look.” 3 likes