Start by marking “The Best Friend (Sister, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Best Friend (Sister, #3)

The Best Friend

(Sister #3)

Gretchen Hendricks spent half her life in love with a man who ended up more dedicated to his job than her. After a divorce that left her devastated she put all her energies into building up her career as a psychologist. Now, well into her thirties she has achieved professional success, and leads a model life. She has tried to let go of her girlhood dreams of a marriage and ...more
Published April 28th 2014 by Leanne Davis

To ask other readers questions about The Best Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Friend

Start your review of The Best Friend (Sister, #3)
Cindy
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again this author brings heartbreaking issues to the table and leaves you a sobbing mess getting through them. Gretchen Hendricks has been in all of the previous books and we’ve known her as a strong caring woman that has helped many people. What we never got to see was that what she presented to the world was not what was on the inside. Gretchen has the same fears and insecurities as the many women and children she has helped. But helping is also in her nature and she cant help but to get ...more
Pam Nelson
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book? Gretchen we love from other books because she was such an amazing gal. It's only fitting she gets her story told for sure.
I felt for her when you hear how her marriage was with Will. You like her because of her help with Jessie and Lindsey.
But I have to say I didn't see her with Tony for a long time maybe because he was so mean and just so surly to not only her but to everyone.
I feel in love with Olivia that girl sure goes through the wringer. I am so glad in a
Karen
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gretchen is an independent professional woman who is alone and can take care of herself. She reconnects with her childhood friend, Tony, who is not the same person she knew before. He's broken inside and out and seems hopeless. She fixes him gradually though. and in the process finds she needs him as much or more than he needs her. It's a good story and as with her other books, it sends the reader on an emotional roller coaster. I keep wanting to read something else to give myself a break but I' ...more
Karen S Green
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to Put Down

This book was hard to put down most of the time. The characters are so incredibly crafted,especially Olivia. Actually, Olivia is the glue. Her life transcends all the characters.
Miriam
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, amputee
Very well written. I truly enjoyed this book. It was a somewhat slow romance but once the hero and heroine got together,,,,oh boy, was it well worth it from beginning to end.
Rebecca Austin
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-kylie-s
Gretchen Hendricks is a psychologist who was married to Will Hendricks but time and war drove them apart. Now she is working at her practice and helping out best friend Lindsay and her sister, Jessie who is now married to Will.

Tony Lindstrom was once best friends with Gretchen and Will but time and war have distanced them. When Tony is injured overseas he struggles to adapt to the new way his life and pushes away everyone, including his parents and brother who are trying to help him.

Gretchen i
Nicole Studioso
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I've read the Zenity triology by Leanne Davis, and I've read the River's End series. When I got the chance to read a copy of one of Leanne Davis's Sister's books, I jumped at the opportunity. What an amazing book filled with well-developed and deep characters who nearly leap off the page with their intelligence, bravery, and deep connections to one another. This book centers on Tony Lindstrom, the former best friend of Will Hendricks, and wounded Army vet. When Gretchen Hendricks, Will's ex-wife ...more
Lisa Marie Barrera
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SPEECHLESS!! JUST SPEECHLESS!! Leanna Davis is a New Author for me and She Had me Intrigued from the Very beginning of this book!
This is Book #3 in the Sister Series and didn't stop me from reading this one. I do in fact want to go back and read the first two books of this Series!

Gretchen Hendricks is the Older sister and Tony Lindstrom is the Best Friend of Gretchen's ex-husband Will Hendricks since childhood. It's quite the triangle of friends and family members who have been webbed together.
Amy Harrison
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read. Leanne Davis captures what veterans feel when they come home from duty, especially if they have been wounded.
Gretchen, Will’s ex wife (Book 1 - The Other Sister) ran into a long time friend Tony. She couldn’t believe it was him. She noticed that he had lost an arm while deployed. She didn’t know what to say to him, and when she did finally speak with him, he was rude and cold towards her.
Donny, Tony’s brother invites her to have dinner with the family. Gretchen hasn’t se
Joy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this story of Gretchen and Tony. Gretchen, a child psychologist, and Tony, a wounded war veteran, were childhood friends, who grew up with Gretchen's ex-husband and Tony's best friend, Will Hendricks. Tony is bitter about the loss of his arm, and his perceived treatment of Gretchen by his ex-best friend Will in regards to their divorce years prior.

When Gretchen tries to help Tony, it isn't until a little 8 year old girl named Olivia begins to take an interest in Tony that life begins to
Kitty Moon
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time Gretchen was married to his best friend. Tony wasn't even on her radar as anything but Will's best friend and in turn her friend. Years later, divorced and single, she's on the precipice of adopting a little girl when she runs into Tony again. But life dealt him a cruel blow, injured in combat, and it's left him angry and a changed man from the one who once made Gretchen laugh so long ago. She found herself drawn in wanting to help him find himself again. She never expected to f ...more
Samantha Waldow
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book 3 in the Sister series. If you have been reading the series you would remember Gretchen from the firat 2 books. Always the kind and helpful friend. She is always so considerate and doesn't like to curse. She was married once to her best friend. Her ex-husband and her both had a best friend, Tony. She see him one day and hes not the same. He is mean and grumpy, nothing like himself. She didn't know he was back from war but she is shocked to find out he is also missing his arm. She ma ...more
Tracy Trixy
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, oh wow.... ❤️

I throughly enjoyed this book, and spent a lot of last night losing sleep reading it :)

We have Tony who is back with an injury sustained whilst serving his country, and he isn’t coping very well.
Gretchen sees Tony whilst out shopping and realises he isn’t the same boy she used to be best friends with.... it’s a complicated threesome between Tony, Gretchen and Will but it’s a great story!
Many issues and problems to sort through that makes this story well worth a read!
I haven
Jessica
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my first read by this author. Overall, it was an enjoyable read. However, there were some awkward spots and a lot of repetition of phrases and events. I felt that a lot of Gretchen’s “anger” came out of nowhere at times, directed at different people.

I feel like that Gretchen and Tony’s relationship was rushed and too far late in the book for it to develop. I did like how they became friends again first, but I wanted more of them as a couple.

I loved the role Olivia played, especially h
Thea Butler
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is about Tony, Will's best friend and Gretchen, Will's ex-wife. I think this is my favorite story so far. It is about Tony trying to acclimate to civilian like as a wounded veteran and how it effects his family. About Gretchen realizing that she can't be perfect all the time, about how she falls in love with Tony, and also helping her friend Helen, by taking care Helen's granddaughter after she dies. This book shows joy, and grief. It gives us an idea of what our wounded veterans go t ...more
Deirdre L Stokes
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written story about three best friends who come back into each other lives. When Gretchen sees Tony at the grocery store and sees his injured and angry at the world and everyone who tries to get close to him. This book takes you through a lot of different emotions and events as you see Tony amd Gretchen and even Will side of the story. I really enjoyed this book to the fight between Tony and Donny and everyone just coming together to be there for Tony without him having to reach o ...more
Puja Narula
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The journey continues... We have been introduced to Jessie, Lindsey and now Gretchen in Leanne Davis' 'Sister' series. Victims who went to become heroes! Such wonderful stories of women who face all odds (and even life attempts), yet not only struggle and survive, but go on to be winners. Such beautiful stories of love, loss and women power. They are sisters in arms! Loved each book till now and look forward to the others in the series.

I'm in love with the guy Tony is... :)
Carolyn
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Read

This book packs a punch! It’s very emotional and there will be tears. There is an angry Army Vet who lot an arm, enabling parents, rediscovered friends (one of which he has been in love with for 29 years even though she dated and was married to his best friend), a curious little girl who is about to loose her only relative to cancer. Yes, you need lots of tissues but it’s a good story.
Deborah Lane
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My eyes were red in spots in this one. I love Gretchen, her strength in face of adversity, personal losses in family, burgeoning responsibilities, with young soon to be ward. Her treatment of commitment to her childhood friend, injured in war, loss of his limb and will go to on, a surly mean spirited mess when she sees him two years after his accident, looking a limb. True look at ptsd, loss to soldier, struggles at coming to terms with new trajectory and future spot on.
Recommended.
Tiffany
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner

Awesome read. Quite the page turner. List many hours of sleep reading this book and others in the series that came before this one. This is the best sites of books I have read this far and this one did not disappoint. Can't wait to start the next. Interesting from beginning to end. Keep writing Ms. Leanne Davis.
LS Kralicek
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Friend love story

Gretchen has always take care of everyone else; so when will she take time to fall in love and take care of herself. Gretchen and Tony have a love story of finding friendship over again but then realizing to love where you are grow with it. One of my favorite stories I have read from Davis for far.
Lori
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leanne Davis has fast become one of my favorite authors! The Sister Series is phenomenal! Just like most of her books I have a hard time putting it down once I've started reading. Gretchen and Tony's story had me up until all hours just wanting to see what happens next! I can't wait to see what more Leanne has to come!
Neisha Exeter
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leanne Davis has done it again. Really amazing book. I was wondering if Gretchen would get her own book and what a story this was. I could feel Tony’s anguish and Gretchen’s love and devotion to him. These two were meant to be together. I especially loved how they became friends again. I would definitely recommend reading this book.
Yvonne Roller
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whew! I am continually amazed with the writing by Ms. Davis. It is so wonderful to find an author that can keep me on my toes and not get bored with a storyline. I cannot even begin to describe the feelings that she brings out of me with this book. I just know that as soon as I finish one book in the series I am immediately picking up the next.
Andrzejewski Amy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Best Friend by Leanne Davis is deep and heartfelt. It is a quick, easy read and a page turner. The story held my attention and not once did I set it down not wanting to pick it back up, again. The Best Friend is the first book I've read from the Sisters Series. It definitely wont be last book from the series or by the author. The series can be read in order or as stand a lones.
Kristi Ekasala
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Gretchen is successful in her career, and respected by others but I love how the reality/pressure hit her after her sister’s big announcement.
Tony is an amazing person. Everything he has been through and his internal battle. Best sentence of the whole book was “I don’t need two arms to take care of you”.
Angela
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10 STARS!!!!!

Leanne Davis does it again!!! This story is everything...love, cancer, adoption, war hero, family, friendships,etc. I love how she writes about life with such intensity...
LidiasChoice De Jager
Gretchen and Tony

Emotional rollercoaster ride. Well written and definitely worth the read. The author kept me glued to the pages and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. Highly recommended reading.
Jennifer Richey
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emotional

This is book 3! Gretchen is will’s ex wife and tony is wills best friend they have all been friends since grade school. Some of the previous characters make apperence in this book! Talks some tough subjects! Will tony & Gretchen finally get together?
Lylian Aguiar
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular book. A complete romance novel that brought all the feels from deep love and understanding to hate sometimes. I’m in awe with the story, with the strength of the characters, with the love. Highly recommend it
« previous 1 3 next »
Release Date 2 17 Apr 29, 2014 09:50AM

• An Improper Ever After (Elliot & Annabelle #3; Billionaires' Brides of Convenience #5)
  • An Unlikely Deal (Lucas & Ava #1; Billionaires' Brides of Convenience #6)
  • An Unlikely Bride (Lucas & Ava #2) (Billionaires' Brides of Convenience Book 7)
  • The Billionaire's Claim: Obsession
  • A Final Deal (Billionaires' Brides of Convenience Book 8)
  • Kostya (Heirs to the Bratva Empire, #1)
  • Blown Away (The Moore Brothers, #1)
  • A Hollywood Bride (Ryder & Paige #2; Billionaires' Brides of Convenience #2)
  • Protecting His Brat (Rock Hard, Love Harder, #1)
  • Claimed
  • A Fierce Princess (The Poisoned Pawn Duet, #1)
  • Mom-Com (Reality of Love, #2)
  • A Hollywood Deal (Billionaires' Brides of Convenience, #1)
  • Hold Me in the Dark
  • Broken Halo (The Montgomerys, #2)
  • The Dare
  • Hurt So Good (Love so Dark, #3)
  • Justice for Breeze (Police and Fire: Operation Alpha / Team Cerberus Book 5)
Get a free book exclusive to Leanne's newsletter subscribers ➜➜ http://bit.ly/2usYsb6

Leanne Davis writes new adult & contemporary romance. Her books have been listed on numerous Amazon bestseller lists, including the Movers & Shakers list and in Amazon's Top 120 overall books. She is also a #1 Bestselling New Adult author by The Other Sister.

Leanne lives in Western Washington in the outskirts of

Sister (9 books)
  • The Other Sister (Sister Series, #1)
  • The Good Sister (Sister, #2)
  • The Wrong Sister (Sister, #4)
  • The Years After (Sister Series, #5)
  • The Step Sister (Sister, #10)
  • The Perfect Sister (Sister Series, #7)
  • The Lost Sister (Sister Series, #8)
  • The Remaining Sister (Sister Series, #9)

News & Interviews