Start by marking “Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister” as Want to Read:
Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister

Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister

Learn how to use the extreme hand-held gym from the source - the man who started the kettlebell revolution.

- Simple & Sinister will prepare you for almost anything life could throw at you, from carrying a piano upstairs to holding your own in a street fight.
- Simple & Sinister will forge a fighter's physique - because the form must follow the function.
- Simple &
Published November 24th 2013 (first published November 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister

Peter
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
2 exercises, the swing and Turkish get-up. Daily. 5 sets of 10 of the former, 5 sets of 1 each side of the getups.

Pared down from experience, not top down from untested theory.

No split routines. No check the chart. No Level 4 of exercise 11. No deathmarch.

Just the white hot nidus of the 20% that gives 80% of the general preparedness results (or rather, the 2% that hits 80% of the general buttons, that you can do 98% of the time).
Bon Tom
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, when bodybuilders make fun of kettlebells, it can be really hilarious. There are gems in that "legacy" that can make me drop the weight on my head. That's why I always wear headphones in the gym, they literally are a life saver. Now, I'm not a kettlebell man, yet, but I dig the common sense and philosophy behind this approach so much.

I realized, I was applying the main principle of sustainable training and effort intuitively myself, for years. And felt guilty in the process, be
Eric
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a personal trainer (CSPS/NSCA-CPT)I'm always experimenting with different programs. I have a variety of clients with different needs. For a few of my clients looking for general overall strength and fitness, kettlebells are an ideal fit. They provide varying degrees of strength, strength endurance, power, aerobic and anaerobic development - all in one handy tool. Not to mention fat loss.
I have experience with various programs, including Pavel's older programs such as Enter the Kettlebell.

Fo
Brad Johnson
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stellar read. As longtime crossfitter, loved the thought process that ran counterintuitive to much of what crossfit stands for... "if you don't have heavy days, you don't need light days."

Simple and Sinister is more about consistency of training and a program that's hard and intense enough to produce results, but easy enough on the body that it can be done daily.

Also surprised by the amount of deep philosophy in this book with quotes from Einstein, Nietzsche, & Friedman to name a few.

Lastly,
Keith
May 12, 2016 added it
"Simple" is correct (although, naturally, "easy" isn't.)

Pavel is of the opinion that unless you have specific requirements, just two exercises will make you strong as you want to be - the kettlebell swing and the Turkish get-up. I have no idea if he's correct, but he makes a convincing case. I've started swinging, and feel stronger, at least.

I've deducted two stars, however, for the repeated and indefensible use of the word "sissy".
Preston Smith
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If “God is in the details” is a way of expressing that details are important to any task one accomplishes, then Pavel Tsatsouline is God and his book, KB Simple and Sinister is the Bible. Inside this “Bible,” Pavel teaches you how to perform two of the kettlebells most popular and most empowering moves, “Get Up” and “Swing.” He also spends time discussing the correct number of sets and reps to do and the amount of weight to use for each exercise, as well as the reasons why these factors matter. ...more
Stephen
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I was to judge this book on content alone I would have given it 5 stars. Unfortunately the content lies beneath this awful infomercial style of writing, which reads like a nighttime TV pitch for the eastern bloc. The images are informative and helpful, but the formatting leaves a lot to be desired. Seriously, who thought the huge bold-cap slogans with the ugly little red paint circle was a good idea? Again, the content is great stuff, but it could have been delivered in 10 pages, not ~91. Rea ...more
Kelly
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For what this book is, it is a definite five star. To say Pavel is no nonsense seems to be insufficient, but it is true. I have been using kettlebells for some time, but this pulls it all together and corrects misapprehensions and mistakes. Great book. Also, Pavelisms are worth the price of admission.
Dcn. Thomas Sandberg
I love kettlebells, this program works, but I found my quads got weaker.

I fell for Pavel hard, but there is some questions that arise about some of the stuff in his writings and about his alleged background. Google some question mentioning Pavel and Steve Cotter and decide for yourself, but that just opens Pandora's box...
Frederick
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Strengh comes quickly with this "simple" routine

After listening to Tim Ferriss' interview with Pavel & some digging into the internet about a week before, I was inspired to try this out. The book is excellent, and gives you a framework for how to transform your body nearly overnight.

I had been doing a simple circuit of swings, goblet squats & cleans for 3 weeks, 3x/wk, and had noticed a significant strength increase and definition improvement. However, when I switched to the Sinister &a
J. Pablo
Apr 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is almost like a graphic novel, lot's of pictures (expected) and a big font with lots of padding (not so much). It's very non-PC, so, if you are easily offended, move on. My review here is of the book and not the program. I still have reasons to believe the program is sound and this book might even be good at teaching how to do the program.

The reason why I'm giving it only one star, is because there's a lot of pseudo-science and a fair amount of bullshit in this book. Some things are c
Nahid
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before going to the review, I'll make a brief overview of kettlebell and its functions.

Kettlebell is a cast iron ( a cannonball with a handle) used to perform power training that combine cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training. They are also the primary equipment used in the weight lifting sport of kettlebell lifting. Unlike barbell and dumbbell they don't build muscle but greatly improve overall athletic performance in any field.

Aside form the many movements, the primary exercises of
Adam Parker
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: learning
This little book is an exceptional primer for getting motivated to get fit and instructing you on how to accomplish said goal. The author is quite funny, though I'd recommend the softer, more tender left-leaning folks steer clear as they might become offended by his direct and masculine/military voice.

The content itself is evidence based, and I can attest to it personally, as I've been utilizing the program for over a month now have improved my ability to deliver a punch in my MMA class by leap
Stephenpsmith
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extremely well-written book. It is simple but beautifully and thoroughly explains Pavel's training philosophy, how to warmup/stretch, and how to perform the Kettlebell Swing and Turkish Getup. The warmup routine of prying goblet squats, halos, and hip bridges is excellent and can be used for other types of training as well. I have incorporated the simple program into my other barbell/strongman training and it has helped my strength, explosiveness, cardio, and comfort dealing with heavy weights o ...more
Bubba Fett
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Pros:

Good for sedentary individuals and beginners to gain a little strength and conditioning.
Brief workouts.

Cons:

A little too simple for intermediate or advanced athletes looking to take strength levels very high.
No snatch. Swings and get-ups only.

Verdict: Decent if you're looking for accessory work. Best used in conjunction with a more traditional barbell strength program. This program won't take you very far by itself.

Ben
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Get fit!

This is a great book with a very simple exercise program. The instructions are clear but there are also some YouTube videos you can find by the author on how to properly do a swing. I highly recommend.
Dan Chastney
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even simpler than Enter the Kettlebell - I like it. I love Pavel's sense of humour too.
Finbar
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting introduction to kettlebells by the master. The material is good and easy to follow, but the book design feels like its trying to be a website on paper.
Ana Mark
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two exercises. One piece of equipment. Half an hour a day. Life-changing.
Mario Varnavides
Pavel Tsatsouline is a truthful voice in the sea of confusion formally known as "The Fitness Industry." After first hearing of his work on The Tim Ferriss show, I proceeded to go out and promptly buy a kettlebell. A 16Kg one as I was a scrawny sixteen-year-old at the time, and let me tell you... I couldn't even raise the thing over my head.
I carefully watched and analysed Pavel's great instructional "Enter the Kettlebell", which is of course on Youtube, then did the very meat-heady thing of crea
Christopher
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to the Audible version, so many of the referenced images were missing (but I knew that going in). This book is what it is: a collection of thoughts on strength and endurance using the ultimate tool in Pavel’s eyes to accomplish that mean - The Kettlebell. Pavel is a mad scientist when it comes to training for sport and training, so it’s good to pick his brain. His teachings have blown up in the MMA / CrossFit scene, due to the raw functionality of his expertise stemming from Russian & ...more
Khaleel
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really great book! Love the simplicity and effectiveness of Pavel’s training methods. You can watch his videos on YouTube to see the form of the movements more clearly. I have been doing the exercises in the book and I find them to be very effective and extremely time efficient.

I reduced my review by a star for the simple reason that while I agree the two movements recommended in the book constitute a pretty good workout, I would have liked a supplementary section in the book with some additi
Janine Southard
Nov 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
There might be something good in here underneath the astounding sexism. (Note: before you say "oh, it's just that he doesn't speak English as a first language", know that he doubles down on his word choices. Go to the website forums and watch him defend derogatory words that I would never ever use).

There might be something useful in between pictures of Russian strongmen and nostalgia stories.

I hear there's a workout plan if you make it closer to the end of the book.

I did not get past the sexism
Tanner
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

Clear, manageable instruction that emphasizes functional strength and mental toughness. Not many books draw inspiration from as broad a range as this book, everyone from 1920s strongmen to Ralph Waldo Emerson, Toby Keith and Bruce Lee. Fair warning for more sensitive types: this book does espouse a macho, bordering on homophobic attitude. It takes pains to welcome women into the macho club though, so I don't find it too offensive? Pavel doesn't seem to judge by identity or ability, just on how
Kalle Videnoja
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It is no wonder that Tsatsouline likes to quote Taleb's Antifragile thorough the book. They both seem to share the urge to please men with low masculine self-esteem and bore the common reader with never-ending babble about imaginary street-fights and other machismo. Both, also, are fond of using degrading and sexist language. As an ad hominem one might argue that at least Tsatsouline is not just another obese trader like Taleb but really does have an informed understanding about fighting and mil ...more
Verheij
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tried the Simple swing program for about 30 days. Feels really good. Working on the Simple Swing goal
To me the biggest downside is that the book could've been written more compact. There is a bit of irrelevant stuff in there. Like the part about the tactical get-up. Also it's not very scientific but this isn't a master thesis. It's how to get fit using a simple kettlebell training daily. It's all about consistency wich is an underrated character trait in these days.

For creating a lifestyle in
Joe Koennecke
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very much in line with pavel's other works. Same simple to read, lots of pictures, highlighted comments to make it easy to follow. A lot of the same content from his previous RKC and Enter The Kettlebell books. Biggest difference is this book feels refined and has a more polished and professional feel to it.

If you have his other stuff you won't get a ton of new content out if for the money but it is worth having on the shelf if kettlebells are you thing or you have any plans for teaching someon
Hussein Samhat
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pavel is the man. He doesn't waste time, doesn't use unnecessary jargon and he is straightforward. These are rare qualities in the strength and conditioning industry (and that of fitness in general). I can attest to its simplicity and effectiveness. After all, your greatest improvement will come from 20% of your thought-through effort/time/energy.
Chris Abraham
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pavel turned me on to kettlebells so hard. This might not be where your kettlebells journey ends but it's where your kettlebell journey should begin. I recommend Kettlebells USA iron bells instead of the Red Door Dragon Door ones. Much better value, just as good.
Andrew
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Good read will be using this to reference back 2nd book to read of you are starting to use kettlebells
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • Raising The Bar: The Definitive Guide to Pull-Up bar Calisthenics
  • Convict Conditioning 2: Advanced Prison Training Tactics for Muscle Gain, Fat Loss, and Bulletproof Joints
  • Strong Enough?: Thoughts from Thirty Years of Barbell Training
  • The Purposeful Primitive: From Fat and Flaccid to Lean and Powerful: Using Primordial Laws of Fitness to Trigger Inevitable, Lasting and Dramatic Physical Change
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • Foundation: Redefine Your Core, Conquer Back Pain, and Move with Confidence
  • Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds
  • Beyond Brawn: The Insider's Encyclopedia on How to Build Muscle and Might
  • 42 Fallacies
  • Fat Loss Happens on Monday
  • The Primal Blueprint 21-Day Total Body Transformation: A step-by-step, gene reprogramming action plan
  • The Swing!: Discover the Revolutionary Kettlebell Program That Will Take You from Fat to Fit
  • Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain
  • Remember Everything You Want and Manage the Rest: Improve your Memory and Learning, Organize Your Brain, and Effectively Manage Your Knowledge
  • Never Gymless
  • Paperless: A MacSparky Field Guide
“If you think you are only strong if you can lift a certain number, whatever that number is, you will feel pretty weak most of the time. Strength is not a data point; it’s not a number. It’s an attitude.” 0 likes
“The kettlebell is an ancient Russian weapon against weakness.” 0 likes