Jump to ratings and reviews

God & Gun

Philip Anderson’s secret is safe. He leads a peaceful life, hiding his skills with a gun. But when a local business mogul threatens the lives of those he loves, Anderson is forced to choose between the life of a gunman protecting the innocent or his peaceful, yet lonely, existence on the ranch. Then a secret from his parents’ death destroys every good memory of his family. When the past and the present collide, Anderson must find the way forward.

FOR MORE GREAT WESTERNS PLEASE VISIT www.dustytrailbooks.com

297 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 23, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Peter Leavell

10 books68 followers
Peter Leavell, a 2007 graduate of Boise State University with a degree in history, was the 2011 winner of Christian Writers Guild's Operation First Novel contest. He is winner of the 2013 Christian Retailing's Best award for First-Time Author. Peter and his family live in Boise, Idaho. For entertainment, he reads historical books, where he finds ideas for new novels. Whenever he has a chance, he takes his wife and two homeschooled children on crazy but fun research trips. Learn more about Peter's books, research, and family adventures at www.peterleavell.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for Trisha.
8 reviews
February 2, 2014
God & Gun is written in true western style. The author weaves historical events together with the romantic saga of a man unintentionally thrust into a world of violence. It balances the question of faith against the need to defend one's honor and one's friends. In an entertaining way, the author takes the reader into a bygone era with undying themes of faith, love, and courage, and leaves the reader satisfied with the journey. It is a great story for anyone looking for an exciting read that both provides an escape from our current world and a bit of a compass for navigating through it--all the things a truly great western does!
Profile Image for Joel Mitchell.
702 reviews4 followers
January 17, 2016
I've never been a huge fan of Westerns, but I enjoyed Pete's other book (Gideon's Call) so I went ahead and read this one. The soul-searching romance in the first third made me roll my eyes a bit (as it does in pretty much any book where it takes up more than a handful of pages), but once the more action-oriented part of the story got rolling it was a quick enjoyable read. It was fairly typical western fare with the added dimension of the main character trying to reconcile his solid Christian faith and the seemingly necessary violence with which he becomes involved. If you enjoy Westerns you should definitely give this book a shot.
Profile Image for Lisa Phillips.
Author 109 books441 followers
April 2, 2014
Pure adventure, sort of a coming-of-age story crossed with a historical romance that kept me turning pages all the way through. The only down side was my own personal sad face toward first person on the whole, especially when it's mixed with a little third person (the couple of spots of the girl's point of view). But it didn't detract from what was happening.
I also liked the cameo by Theodore Roosevelt, where we get to see him in his pre-Presidential days.

The book ends on a cliffhanger, so be warned. And I'll be waiting for the next one.
Profile Image for Rebekah Schrepfer.
56 reviews8 followers
January 20, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed Peter Leavell's book. I love Westerns to begin with and this one doesn't disappoint. I really liked the main character. His battle within himself is believable and it left me wondering how he would resolve all of his conflicts. Looking forward to the sequel!
Profile Image for Heidi.
789 reviews4 followers
August 6, 2014
This book was so well written, it was very difficult to put down. Somehow I was able to read it through in both little and big chunks, in the course of 4 days! :) I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.