Start by marking “Halloween Magic & Mayhem (Magic & Mayhem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Halloween Magic & Mayhem (Magic & Mayhem, #1)

Halloween Magic & Mayhem (Magic & Mayhem #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  753 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
How on earth did I end up here? I was supposed to be at a party kissing the boy of my dreams, instead I’m dancing naked on the town common, on Halloween, with a Coven of strange women who might be witches, a bunch of zombies that I have to return to their graves, a talking crow, and my pet ghost thrown in for good measure. Just yesterday I was an ordinary teenager…

On her
Published January 2nd 2014 (first published October 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween Magic & Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween Magic & Mayhem

Anni
I loved this. Short, action, funny, really really funny. Best shortie ever :D
Mandy
It's Emily's birthday, she's going to turn the big sixteen on Halloween and little did she know that on her birthday she will become a witch. Just like her grandmother, Mom and aunt but the real question is what kind of witch she will become. At midnight on her birthday things start to change, she finds that a ghost lives in her house, that she now has a familiar a crow and she really is a witch. Even though she has a party to attend she now has the chance to help the ghost boy who's been living ...more
Karen
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had kind of sworn off YA for a while because I needed something just a bit more adult than the teen angst that seemed to be such a big part of some in the genre. Glad I took the time to read this one because I enjoyed it completely from start to finish. The characters who were introduced were all interesting, even the ghost, who could have been just a shadow form. The story while not original was told in a witty way that made it fun to read.

Emily Rand lived alone with her father until a few ye
April
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick fun read!
Sandra "Jeanz"
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
l really enjoyed this fun Halloween tale, I'll definitely be looking for the next installment in the Magic & Mayhem series. Really fun Ya suitable book.
INITIAL THOUGHTS
Being totally truthful I don't usually "celebrate" Halloween, but when I saw this novella I couldn't resist, I'd found a relatively easy way to join in the "Halloween Fun", I'd read and review the novella! There are two covers listed on Goodreads for this one, I have chosen the brightest more Halloween themed one....... So wha
Mike
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: needs-editing
I got this novella as part of the Riot Girls box set. The premise of that set was "Teen girls who don't need a hero", and while that's technically true of this story, it's only true because the main character is rescued by a woman (her aunt) rather than a man. She's not really a protagonist, and doesn't solve her own problems.

I assume that any book I'm interested enough to read starts out at four stars. I took half a star off for poor copy editing (including "its" for "it's") and generally medio
Storm Reads
This was a cute novella about a teenager who learns that when she turns sixteen she will be a witch. At first she didn’t think she was a very good witch cause she couldn’t do anything though everyone told her they thought she would be powerful.

Then she accidentally knocks her dad’s girlfriends son out and panics and tries a revive spell and not only revives him but turns a ghost back into a boy and ends up waking the dead for miles…lol

Emily was a lot of fun cause she seemed real, she acted like
Ash Field-Smith
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was very much a book of firsts for me - I don't often read books set in the first person, nor do I usually read books on Halloween/ traditional style witchery.
And this is also the first Novella I have read.. But I loved it!

I thought that the book would be too childish for me, but it absolutely wasn't, it was humorous with adult overtones, and for a novella, the main character was quite well developed and likeable.

The book had a clear beginning, middle and end that I didnt expect from s
Alexandra Engellmann
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I 'picked up' this book at Amazon for free when I saw a familiar author (thanks, kboards). I thought I'd read a shorter story for a change, and the season is just right. It was a pretty simple story, but I still found it entertaining and read it in an hour or so. The writing style is probably more suitable for a younger audience, as is the main character and her adventures. But I would still easily recommend this series to all fans of witches and magic)))
Shelleen Toland
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a quick read. Only 50 pages. I found it to be cute. Emily found out , the day before her 16th birthday, that she is a witch like her mother was. She will get her powers at midnight of Halloween. All she wanted was to turn 16, got to a Halloween party and kiss a boy.She finds out she has had a ghost living in her house and then accidently raised zombies and now has to get them back in their graves. This is the first book of a series and at sometime I would like to read the rest.
Reba
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Super cute super short read about a teenager finding out she's a witch on her 16th birthday and the trouble caused by wayward spells. Zombies, ghosts, witch coven, compassion and confidences all rise in this cute short Halloween read.
Tasha
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
l really enjoyed this fun Halloween tale, I'll definitely be looking for the next installment in the Magic & Mayhem series. I was looking for a short but fun Halloween read & this book fit. The characters are fun & believable for such a short book and it lives up to its name of magic & mayhem.
Siobhan Henn
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've not tried young adult paranormal fiction before! It was great. I wish Peter had stuck around and Bob is a fun addition to the familiar world.
Bianca Baldemor
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A short, fun and "teensy" read for the halloween season!
Katherine Coble
Dreadful. Adults who try to write in teenspeak can create the most dreadful reading experiences.
Cyndi
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A cute little Halloween read.
Tania
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just the right amount of mayhem

Emily is about to turn 16. Until now, she's lived a fairly normal life. So she can be excused for rolling her eyes when her aunt dramatically informs her the night before her birthday that she's about to become a very powerful witch. She scoffs right up until midnight, when she can suddenly see Peter, the ghost that's been living in her house this whole time, and hear the crow who knocks on her window to ask for a job. Emily still isn't sure the dire warnings every
Chris Meads
Emily Rand is turning 16 and can't wait for thee party on Halloween. There she will see the boy of her dreams. But as fate would have it, she heads over to her aunt's store, a known "witch" in the area.
There her aunt tells her that when she turns 16, Emily will come into her powers. Emily is shocked and doesn't believe it--she didn't know her own mother (who died sometime ago) was also a witch. Emily's aunt tells her not to do anything foolish on Halloween since she is a new witch and no one kno
Elizabeth Jane
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good!

Yes, this is a "ya" book and I'm no longer "ya", but a good book is a good book! Or, novella rather. Even in just the short time I read about Emily and her new witch powers, I could tell how much she grew and evolved as a character. I loved the supporting cast of taking crows, ghosts,and zombies too! Can't wait to read the next installment!
Mia LeNae
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
What's wrong with Bob?

Cute with a bunch of laugh out loud moments. I wonder if her dad can accept her as a Natural witch? It's definitely a teen book, so I will let the young ones have this series.
Amanda
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Halloween Magic & Mayhem

Cute little YA novella about Emily, Peter the Ghost and Emily's familiar, Bob. Emily turns 16 on Halloween and discovers she is a powerful witch. With her Aunt Iris and a local coven to guide her she shouldn't get into too much trouble right?!?
Renee
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting

I really like this story. I would like to know if Peter would be in the other series and what happen to her mom. Plus why her dad has turned is b back on witchcraft. Great story for preteens. Can't wait to discuss once my daughter has read it.
Vishakha Sonawane
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anything Halloween and witches interests me. The book is a light read with an entertaining story about a teen who realises on her 16th birthday that she is a witch. Even though the book is short, it is packed with information on witches and magic. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kate
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it !

While it may have been written with a younger crowd in mind. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice plot, and characters.
Thelma Coots
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love

This is a great book for teenagers it's sweet with some very cute comic relief lol. Adults will get a few good giggles cause I did.
Dawn Jasper
Cute start to a YA/fantasy series.
Anna
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
A nice little short story about a girl becoming a witch. She wants to have her first kiss but ends up playing with Zombies and Ghosts.

NightSun
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for a quick read

Good story..fairly accurate about Wicca..plus some fictional story lines. Couldn't download the second book as advertised in the last pages.
Sinead
Feb 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
didn't like this story at all i generally like the witchey type books but nah the structure was okay but the context not that great
Lita Acevedo
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good quick read about a girl who becomes a witch on her 16th birthday.
  • Velocity (Gravity, #4)
  • The Vampire's Housekeeper Chronicles, Volume One
  • Halfway (Wizards and Faeries, #1)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Voices of the Soul (Soul Seers, #1)
  • Coven by Christmas (Magical Holiday Tales, #2)
  • One Scottish Lass
  • Hell Hounds Are For Suckers (Vampires of San Francisco, #2)
  • Pandora's Mistake (Fate of Eros #0)
  • Charlotte's Summer (Seasons Mail Order Bride #1)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Savior (Higher Collective #1)
  • Initiation (The School of Exorcists #1)
  • Beckoning Souls (Beckoning Souls, #1)
  • The Convent of the Pure
  • Paranormal Anthology with a Twist
  • Witch Hollow and the Wrong Spell (Witch Hollow, #1)
  • The Book of Prime (Immortals of London, #1)

Magic & Mayhem (4 books)
  • Werewolf Magic & Mayhem (Magic & Mayhem, #2)
  • Solstice Magic & Mayhem (Magic & Mayhem, #3)
  • Demon Magic & Mayhem (Magic & Mayhem, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)