Start by marking “Set Me Free (The Evans Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Set Me Free (The Evans Trilogy, #1)

Set Me Free

(The Evans Trilogy #1)

Disastrous love life aside, Charlotte Evans is rather content with her life. Her quaint little art gallery is plodding along nicely, and her sister Emily’s artistic career is about to take off, thanks to her tireless promotion. She even gets to see her best friend every day and drink his delicious coffee in the café next door.
But when dastardly property developer Craig Ca
Published April 28th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Set Me Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Set Me Free

Wise Louise
The cover was quaint and old-fashioned looking (1950s red dress). It was bright and assured me that I was getting chick lit.

The title made me think the lead character was in a disastrous relationship and she wanted out.

The blurb told me about the main characters: Charlotte Evans and Craig Carmichael and I instantly think they are going to end up together, no bad thing, the fun part is reading how they manage it. I loved the line: It’s what they might lose that has Charlotte and Craig wondering
Celia Kennedy
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Author Jennifer Collin thoroughly entertained me with her novel Set Me Free.

I love Women's Contemporary Fiction, especially when authors such as Ms. Collins write the spectrum of emotions based upon life's real experiences. Often this genre is thought of as "Happily Ever After," and nothing more. Set Me Free has some ridiculously funny moments, as well as some heart wrenching ones. The only bad thing about books like these is that they end... but in this case it doesn't. Set Me Free is book one
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing book. I really liked that it was a romance story, but it was also a well told story about life.

The author wasn't afraid to tell the story exactly as life is, filled with moments of detail that may not be overly exciting, but they lead to something brilliant, I liked that it was often all the little details that made something special.

The focus on art was a very unique story,especially as our character wasn't the artist, but instead was the gallery owner. We still got all
Meredith Schorr
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This author is a wonderful writer. The descriptions, the dialogue, the pacing - everything about this book was impressive. The romance was less than realistic, but that's what I liked about it - it was the perfect escape from a winter that seemingly will never end! Charlotte was a great character - a good person with a big heart, but not a doormat. And I really enjoyed that the book was not only about Charlotte, but her younger sister Emily as well. Possible spoiler alert: Although I do wish the ...more
Gina Henning
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was really intrigued by this book and the clash between the corporate and small business worlds. There were several points during this novel that I had to stop and highlight some of the lines, because they were just that good.

This was a great story to escape into and I absolutely loved all the mentions of art.

I enjoyed the dynamics of all the different characters and felt like I was really able to experience Australia and get a taste of the culture and the country first hand through this book.
Sherryl Caulfield
At the same time as I read Set Me Free about a young art gallery owner in Brisbane’s West End fighting a determined and devastingly-good looking property developer I was devouring Beautiful Bizarre Magazine’s December issue and came across the striking paintings of Brisbane artist Emma Sheldrake. The three became entwined which made for an enchanting read. I have always enjoyed art and it is a feature of my novel Seldom Come By – in fact there’s more to come in The Iceberg Trilogy.

In Set Me Free
Leanne Francis
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlotte and Emily Evans are sisters. Emily is an artist based in Brisbane and Charlotte moved from Melbourne to run the art gallery that showcases Emily’s work. Charlotte is less than lucky in love and escapes overseas at all opportunities to avoid disastrous relationships. But other than that problem, she’s enjoying life. She likes managing the gallery and her best friend runs the café next door but her life is turned upside down when she meets attractive Craig Carmichael. They meet and get t ...more
Emma Lincoln
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, as well as the other two in the trilogy were entertaining, quick reads. The first one made me want to read the second and third, which is saying something!

Charlotte Evans is an independent, fierce woman that has an aptitude for picking the wrong guy. Just as she gets back from her overseas trip where she was working on forgetting her last fling, in walks Craig Carmichael. Quickly, Charlottes world gets flipped upside down by this charismatic man. But he could just as easily ruin her w
Tatia
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Reviewed for Round Table Book Reviews**

Set Me Free is an easy read about a woman trying desperately to keep her business from being taken over by a large city development company all the while she's falling for the man leading the development project.
Charlotte Evans is the owner of the art gallery. Business has slowed down a little, so she makes most of her money by holding exhibits of her sister's work (Emily), along with other up and coming artists. Her best friend, Ben, owns the coffee sho
Cat
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathy’s 5 Star Thoughts
REVIEWED FOR ROUND TABLE BOOK REVIEWS
Set Me Free by Jennifer Collins is a lovely, evocative, visual story. It unfolds slowly as we get to know the characters. And, there are a lot of characters. Each one is uniquely described and playing an important role in the story. Remove one character and the story would not tell itself. It would lose the sense of community and fit that is an integral part of the beauty of the telling.
Emily, the talented, witty, easy-going painter
Char
L.A. Miller
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Jennifer Collin for the opportunity in reading her first work. As a fellow author I understand how hard it is to get your work out there for others to read. We have pride in what we write looking at our work with the same pride with look at our children that we have raised. We hope others will fall into the world we create and enjoy the characters as much as we as writers do. I will be honest, it took me till the second chapter before I was hooked. Whether it was the fact m ...more
G.V.R. Corcillo
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Collin won me over with this one! At first, I thought Craig, likable though he is, was such a jerk. He is plowing in to destroy people's lives and he seemed to think it was ok to do that. But his interaction with Charlotte kept me reading...and soon I found out, little by little Craig's real story and Craig's real motives and Craig's real dreams. As the novel progresses, the title Set Me Free glows brighter and brighter, solidifying into a cast-iron theme stitching this fun romp of a st ...more
Mave
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luckily when I started this book I had the other two in the trilogy because I liked it so much that I wanted to read them right away. This chick lit is sweet, passionate and compelling. I like so much the stories in which between the protagonists is a love hate relationship.
The protagonists of this trilogy are three siblings Charlotte, Emily and Andy Evans. The first book is focused on the life of Charlotte. She runs an art gallery where displaying the works of her sister Emily. But Craig, an un
Laura Brown
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SET ME FREE is a humorous story filled with quirky characters, characters I want to be friends with. From the beginning I was enthralled by the plot and excited to see how the author handled the uncomfortable situation. Charlotte and Craig are pulled together even as they stand on opposite sides of an important issue. Their chemistry jumps off the page and the compatibility through the roof. The supporting characters and their plots were just as enthralling and I can’t wait to read the next Evan ...more
Carla Cabrera
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. I felt i knew the characaters and there are quite a few of them. Author did a great job developing the main and secondary characters. Craig and Charlotte were a hit with me. I thought the chemisty was evident. I will probably read it again and will recommend. The book is the first in a trilogy about the Evans siblings. There are some secondary storylines that are developed that will lead into the subsequent books.
Crystal Royall
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story

The characters are well written n and the story line is perfect. I was laughing and angry and truly feeling for Charlotte. Charlotte is a character that many can relate to. So busy taking care of everyone around her that she forgets about her own self happiness and decides that keeping others happy is what keeps her happy. However in the end she realizes that is not TRUE happiness.
Nikki Maynardskaggs
I give Set Me Free by Jennifer Collins 4 stars!!
I give this book four stars , because I really enjoyed it, Charlotte and Craig’s story is different. It had steamy parts in it , I really liked the whole set up of this story. I liked Charlotte’s character a lot, I liked how she was portrayed strong and not a weakling. I hate those women that are portrayed weak and helpless. This was a wonderful story, I think the author done a wonderful job with this storyline.
Karen
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and fun to follow the story through.
We join Charlotte as she tries to find out what she really wants in life. She's lost her way and realises after meeting the perfect guy for her that circumstances will get in the way of their relationship.
Will things work out for Charlotte or will life get in the way? Read it to find out
Lisa
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A solid contemporary romance novel. There were several storylines, and it is very clearly one of a series, but even on its own, this was a good book. There are a couple of relatively explicit sex scenes, but they are written tastefully. And, although it was relatively formulaic as a romance novel, there were other plot twists that were unexpected. I would recommend this as a fun summer read.
Lyndsy
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Totally easy to see where this one is going but it's not like I was looking for a surprise, you know?

I really like the characters and I think we get to know them pretty well. It's also fun to read books set somewhere different than what I usually read.

Pretty quick read too.

All in all, cute story and worth the read if this is your thing.
April Warren
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
this was just okay for me. it had some romance in it but it never really took off. it stayed the same throughout the whole book. there werent any.major scenes to make you think and there was no angst. it wasnt terrible but it was definitely missing something
Jenika Ioffreda
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable and pleasant read
Stephanie M.
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
4 stars

This was a fun read. I loved Charlottes fashion for the 1950's, I've always had a thing for that era, also. Cute little love story
Andy
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable story with likable characters.
Cici
Aug 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No thanks! This is not a sweet romance. There are interesting characters. But the plot is not full of emotional depth. There is no romance. But there is raw language and sex!
Cathy
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, junk-novel
Easy to read junk- novel but predictable. First of a series
Deb
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
If this woman knew her homonyms, I might have given her 4 stars. One is given 'free rein' not free reign. Discrete means separate items, discreet means secret keeping.
Renee
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo! I thought it was funny, quirky and entertaining.
Cindy
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-b-c
Craig and his love

This was a great book about a woman who did everything to support others but had no one to look after her. Along comes Craig as a for but irresistible.
Tricia Parslow
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book

You never really know what your going to get in the free e-book like and this book was a total gem! I loved the humor the romance and the details.

• French Twist
  • Body and Soul (The Chronicles of Light and Darkness Book 1)
  • Breathe Again: A Love Story
  • The Breakup
  • Student Bodyguard for Hire
  • What You Leave Behind
  • Summer Flambé (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #2)
  • Let's Be Frank
  • Touch of Love (Forever and Always, #0.5)
  • Like Falling (Surfacing, #1)
  • BTW - I love you! (Brothers & Sisters, #1-2)
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi, #4)
  • Bemused
  • For Better, For Worse
  • Nearly Almost Somebody
  • The Secret Shopper Affair (Secret Shopper, #3)
  • Hard Knocks (Practice Perfect, #2)
  • Head Over High Heels (Glamorous Life, #2)
Jennifer Collin writes quirky, and sometimes gritty, love stories about ordinary people dealing with what life throws at them. She lives in Brisbane, Australia, with her husband, two noisy children and a cantankerous cat. She used to party, but now her idea of a good time is an uninterrupted sleep. These days, her characters do her partying for her, and she doesn't necessarily let them sleep.

The Evans Trilogy (3 books)
  • Open My Eyes (The Evans Trilogy, #2)
  • Bring Me Back (The Evans Trilogy, #3)